Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2021, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #2341
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I always loved the look and the idea of an old Land Rover with jerry cans and shovels tied on the roof rack, trekking across Africa. The Defender was the prototypical vehicle for that. Just cool, and I'm about as anti-SUV as someone can be.

But the new 2020- Defender? Looks perfectly at home in the Costco parking lot.
From personal experience I can tell you that travelling across Africa in an old Land Rover is not nearly as romantic and exciting as it might seem just from viewing the vehicles! Key words are hot, dusty, washboard roads, no ice for water, sleeping under mosquito nets, etc., etc. I am really glad to have had a lot of the experience, but just as glad not to have to repeat it! It would still be nice to have an old Land Rover, but that experience on modern highways with s vehicle that strains to hit 50 mph could probably grow old after a few hundred miles or so.

04-08-2021, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #2342
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I guess the airbag behind the steering wheel doesn’t count then, eh?

:cheesy:
Perhaps the recent models. They were removed from the US market in1997 for safety reasons.
They didn´t have airbags then and the one in the photo didn´t have them either
04-08-2021, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #2343
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
From personal experience I can tell you that travelling across Africa in an old Land Rover is not nearly as romantic and exciting as it might seem just from viewing the vehicles! Key words are hot, dusty, washboard roads, no ice for water, sleeping under mosquito nets, etc., etc. I am really glad to have had a lot of the experience, but just as glad not to have to repeat it! It would still be nice to have an old Land Rover, but that experience on modern highways with s vehicle that strains to hit 50 mph could probably grow old after a few hundred miles or so.
I'm sure that's all true. It kind of says that Land Rover's reason to exist doesn't really anymore, so to stay in business they leverage that nostalgia for trekking across the Empire to sell $75,000 commuter vehicles to rich people who'll never see Africa.
04-08-2021, 12:30 PM   #2344
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Rockstroh Quote
Perhaps the recent models. They were removed from the US market in1997 for safety reasons.
They didn´t have airbags then and the one in the photo didn´t have them either
You didn’t get the joke, did you?

04-08-2021, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #2345
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have admired classic Land Rovers since I was six years old and Daktari was on television.
I even owned the Matchbox model. FWIW Jeeps were not ubiquitous then as they are today.

Where I used to live not far from here I sometimes saw a neighbor driving his old Land Rover.
It had a snorkel. I wonder if he ever found a nearby river to ford?

Chris
04-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #2346
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You didn’t get the joke, did you?
Hmmm... Not until now.
Contingit stercore
04-25-2021, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #2347
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last month I decided to change the oil on my 2002 Nissan Frontier. Then flush with success, I wanted to fix a broken stud which a held a radiator bracket. I couldn't get it out so I drilled it out. I was feeling pretty good about that until I noticed many weird electrical problems. The stud was mounted to the crossbar in front of the radiator, typical u-shaped metal thing with the hood latch, etc. Underneath was a nice protected area for an important wiring harness - maybe 30 wires. I hit about six of them. I patched it up temporarily until a day I could do it without freezing fingers. Today I got it all back together properly and found all the blown fuses. Pretty soon I'll be ready for summer travel.

04-25-2021, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #2348
Pentaxian

I always loved the look and the idea of an old Land Rover with jerry cans and shovels tied on the roof rack, trekking across Africa. The Defender was the prototypical vehicle for that. Just cool, and I'm about as anti-SUV as someone can be.

But the new 2020- Defender? Looks perfectly at home in the Costco parking lot.
Surprising, although the new Land Rover looks very much like a luxury SUV, which it is and more at home on a Costco lot, than out in difficult terrain....it is a very competent off road vehicle.

The Fast Lane Truck video magazine, bought one and have tested it out at MOAB and this thing is more than competitive with other serious 4WD vehicles. I was impressed and yes, surprised.
04-26-2021, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #2349
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Surprising, although the new Land Rover looks very much like a luxury SUV, which it is and more at home on a Costco lot, than out in difficult terrain....it is a very competent off road vehicle.

The Fast Lane Truck video magazine, bought one and have tested it out at MOAB and this thing is more than competitive with other serious 4WD vehicles. I was impressed and yes, surprised.
I'm sure it is, but how many people are going to take their very expensive Land Rover to Moab, winching it up slot canyons? They might scratch the paint, or get dirt on it! Can you imagine the disgusting things that would get tracked onto the sheeps wool floor mats?
04-26-2021, 07:12 AM   #2350
Pentaxian

I'm sure it is, but how many people are going to take their very expensive Land Rover to Moab, winching it up slot canyons? They might scratch the paint, or get dirt on it! Can you imagine the disgusting things that would get tracked onto the sheeps wool floor mats?
I would say that very expensive 4WD vehicles are never pressed to their off road design limits, until they are a number of years old, have depreciated enormously and are selling in the high school student or young 20's market.
04-30-2021, 11:53 AM   #2351
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I would say that very expensive 4WD vehicles are never pressed to their off road design limits, until they are a number of years old, have depreciated enormously and are selling in the high school student or young 20's market.
That's probably quite accurate! I'm really looking forward to seeing used new generation Broncos on the used market in a few years.
05-04-2021, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #2352
Veteran Member

I have a toyota prius right now. I dont like it.
its 'gas saving' bits doesn't really apply to me as the gas saving bit only kicks in if i'm driving less than 60km an hour. I'm mostly on the highways, and hardly EVER am in the city, so that car is kind of wasted on me.
moreover, i'm coming from two mini coopers prior to the prius.

Nothing directly wrong with the prius. Its just, when i had the cooper, it wasn't just a 'car'. it had its own quirky personality, where nothing was done in a standard way. everything was 'odd' and quirky. Where as the prius, just like any other ford, mazda, honda, hyundai, lexus, BMW, etc, they all are traditional and think inside the box and play it safe. (again, nothing wrong with that). Just when you looked at the cooper, by comparison, it was as if looking at a person dressed in rainbow colored clothing in a world of black suits. dared to stick out and be 'different'.

if you cant tell, i LOVED my coopers. I only switched as maintenance on the coopers was getting a little out of hand.
05-04-2021, 08:54 AM   #2353
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
I have a toyota prius right now. I dont like it.
its 'gas saving' bits doesn't really apply to me as the gas saving bit only kicks in if i'm driving less than 60km an hour. I'm mostly on the highways, and hardly EVER am in the city, so that car is kind of wasted on me.
moreover, i'm coming from two mini coopers prior to the prius.

Nothing directly wrong with the prius. Its just, when i had the cooper, it wasn't just a 'car'. it had its own quirky personality, where nothing was done in a standard way. everything was 'odd' and quirky. Where as the prius, just like any other ford, mazda, honda, hyundai, lexus, BMW, etc, they all are traditional and think inside the box and play it safe. (again, nothing wrong with that). Just when you looked at the cooper, by comparison, it was as if looking at a person dressed in rainbow colored clothing in a world of black suits. dared to stick out and be 'different'.

if you cant tell, i LOVED my coopers. I only switched as maintenance on the coopers was getting a little out of hand.
I appreciate your viewpoint on the Prius vs the Cooper Mini. I have the smallest Prius, C model. I love its exact equal weight distribution front and back, and use it mostly around town, so get 42-65 mpg. I love the little bugger, but always go rent a bigger car when going on long trips. The state of Ohio is discouraging hybrids by imposing a punitive surcharge on license tags, so probably would not buy another one in the future. I did a spreadsheet analysis including all cost factors and find that a larger car, the Corolla, is more cost effective than the Prius plus it is big enough to drive out of town on longer trips.
05-04-2021, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #2354
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I appreciate your viewpoint on the Prius vs the Cooper Mini. I have the smallest Prius, C model. I love its exact equal weight distribution front and back, and use it mostly around town, so get 42-65 mpg. I love the little bugger, but always go rent a bigger car when going on long trips. The state of Ohio is discouraging hybrids by imposing a punitive surcharge on license tags, so probably would not buy another one in the future. I did a spreadsheet analysis including all cost factors and find that a larger car, the Corolla, is more cost effective than the Prius plus it is big enough to drive out of town on longer trips.
What on earth or your politicians thinking? A surcharge for a hybrid? Why not a surcharge for me, driving a 19 year old 4WD pickup truck instead? My highway mileage is 24.5 mpg (imperial, 20 US). Up here, where batteries are not the most useful drive modes, (-30 ~ -40 in winter) where most of the battery life goes to try and keep the windshield de-iced, I wonder if I really am less environmentally friendly. There must be an environmental impact from changing out your vehicle when the ashtrays are full (PS: I haven't smoked for 25 years).
05-04-2021, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #2355
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with you.

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
What on earth or your politicians thinking? A surcharge for a hybrid? Why not a surcharge for me, driving a 19 year old 4WD pickup truck instead? My highway mileage is 24.5 mpg (imperial, 20 US). Up here, where batteries are not the most useful drive modes, (-30 ~ -40 in winter) where most of the battery life goes to try and keep the windshield de-iced, I wonder if I really am less environmentally friendly. There must be an environmental impact from changing out your vehicle when the ashtrays are full (PS: I haven't smoked for 25 years).
Politicians are adept at finding justifications for increasing taxes. If your car requires an excessive amount of fuel, the tax can be imposed as a punitive measure in order to encourage you to acquire a more fuel efficient car. If you than acquire a more fuel efficient car such as my tiny little PriusC, politicians can then impose a tax to replace the road taxes you would have paid had you not purchased a fuel efficient vehicle. Heads I win; tails you lose!