Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2016, 08:01 AM   #541
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The original alternator just went on my 2003 Mazda Protege, and took out the battery with it.
I haven't spent a cent on repairs in the 2½ years I have owned it so I guess I was due.

I'm glad I wasn't planning to purchase a new K-1, and I hope my tax refund is good this year...

Chris

04-11-2016, 10:38 AM   #542
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I guess I should update.

2002 Toyota Celica is out, 2015 (but new) Chevy Sonic hatchback is in.
04-11-2016, 12:04 PM   #543
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
...One more oddity... the brakes are nowhere near as sensitive as in other cars. Which makes controlling the rate of deceleration easy, because you've got plenty of control. However I can imagine not pushing hard enough in an emergency situation. It's very different from the Peugeot 508. I reckon that with a similar amount of pressure on the brake pedal you'd already be through the windscreen in the 508.
Interesting that BMW does not have a system like Mercedes does (as far as I can find in a US 1 series manual). Mercedes decides you are about to use the brakes and moves the pads closer to the discs in anticipation. That makes the brakes feel more sensitive because they react quicker.

I don't know if it's still true, but I never liked the way Chrysler brakes felt. Everyone brakes by feel and with some time, you get used to anything, but there was always a brief uncertainty with Chrysler.

---------- Post added 04-11-16 at 01:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The original alternator just went on my 2003 Mazda Protege, and took out the battery with it.
I haven't spent a cent on repairs in the 2½ years I have owned it so I guess I was due.

I'm glad I wasn't planning to purchase a new K-1, and I hope my tax refund is good this year...

Chris
Aren't alternators kind of cheap? I was looking at Miata alternators because I might be asking a lot of ours - the car sits for extended periods. I think I could replace alternator and battery for $200 in less than an hour. Maybe the belt too if I felt ambitious.
04-11-2016, 01:44 PM   #544
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Interesting that BMW does not have a system like Mercedes does (as far as I can find in a US 1 series manual). Mercedes decides you are about to use the brakes and moves the pads closer to the discs in anticipation. That makes the brakes feel more sensitive because they react quicker.

I don't know if it's still true, but I never liked the way Chrysler brakes felt. Everyone brakes by feel and with some time, you get used to anything, but there was always a brief uncertainty with Chrysler.

---------- Post added 04-11-16 at 01:10 PM ----------

Aren't alternators kind of cheap? I was looking at Miata alternators because I might be asking a lot of ours - the car sits for extended periods. I think I could replace alternator and battery for $200 in less than an hour. Maybe the belt too if I felt ambitious.
Hm. The brakes in the BMW work, but it's quite linear. You push a little, you get a little braking. You push hard, you brake hard. With many other newer cars I've driven it's you touch the brakes, and your face touches the wheel. I'm exaggerating of course, but the brakes are quite sensitive. I kind of prefer the BMW way (not as extreme perhaps), as you can react quickly and don't have to be so careful about not applying too much pressure.

I got used to both systems, but I feel that cars have become overly sensitive, overly assisted. The power steering that is so strong you could use a fingernail to steer the car. The brakes that are so assisted that merely blowing on the pedal makes it slow down. And on and on and on. I like those electronic gizmos that are there to protect you just in case, but have we gotten so weak? What's wrong with having to apply some force to turn the steering wheel? Or to slow down? Reminds me of some Japanese and Korean cars I've tried, where all the power comes within the first third or so of the accelerator pedal. After that, nothing. It's just pretending to be powerful.

I think if driving pleasure matters to you, but you can't justify a MX5 or GT86 as they aren't practical enough (but have the money), the 1 series could be the one. Though to be honest it did feel a bit heavy when I was trying a bit of a slalom.

Btw., I keep getting surprised by how good my reasonably priced Citroen from 2002 is. The steering is sharp, well weighted (and speed sensitive... while being hydraulic). Decent feedback from the road. The suspension is quite comfortable, so are the seats (despite the lack of a trillion settings like the BMW has). The interior is roomy. And that was the car you'd buy if you didn't want to spend on a Golf (which IMHO only feels better made, otherwise it (I mean a 2002 Golf) isn't as good as the Xsara). The only car to keep up so far is that 1 series. The Xsara does lose traction earlier than the 1 series and probably many other cars too.

04-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #545
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Aren't alternators kind of cheap? I was looking at Miata alternators because I might be asking a lot of ours - the car sits for extended periods.
I think I could replace alternator and battery for $200 in less than an hour. Maybe the belt too if I felt ambitious.

Sure, easy if you have the time, tools and a place to do the work, and live in a low cost of living area...

Chris
04-11-2016, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #546
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Sure, easy if you have the time, tools and a place to do the work, and live in a low cost of living area...

Chris
Yep.

Sure, battery is $25, Alternatior is $30.

Garage rental is $100 / hour. Tool rental is $100 / hour. Battery disposal is $100. Processing fee is $100. CC surcharge is 2.8%. Tax is 9.125% (All of it. Processing and rentals fall under a use Tax).

Or we can just fix your car for $325.99. Do the math.

Have a nice day
04-13-2016, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #547
Veteran Member

You can get an alternator for $30!? And a battery for $25?

The last couple of alternators I've bought for my previous Range Rover and Subaru Forester have been around the $500 mark. Dunno what the alternator on my current BMW-engined car would cost. I read yesterday that the alternator is water-cooled - more cost to buy and more effort to replace.

Re changing them, dead easy on my previous Rangie but on one Mazda I looked at, it seemed one would need to pull the motor out.

Batteries seem to start at well over $100.

04-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #548
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
You can get an alternator for $30!? And a battery for $25?

The last couple of alternators I've bought for my previous Range Rover and Subaru Forester have been around the $500 mark. Dunno what the alternator on my current BMW-engined car would cost. I read yesterday that the alternator is water-cooled - more cost to buy and more effort to replace.

Re changing them, dead easy on my previous Rangie but on one Mazda I looked at, it seemed one would need to pull the motor out.

Batteries seem to start at well over $100.
If you're getting ripped for Landy parts in Aus, like we are here, buy direct from the UK. I bought an alternator, half the cost I was quoted here, and that included airfreight. It went London to Auckland in 3 days, took 5 days from Auckland to me!
04-13-2016, 05:25 PM   #549
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yep.

Sure, battery is $25, Alternatior is $30.
Where are you getting a battery for $25? A new battery will run $75 to $125, depending on the size and CCA rating.

Or an alternator for $30. The core is worth $30 to $50. Rebuilt units at the local parts store will run $75 to $100, again, depending on application and size.
04-13-2016, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #550
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW mine was a brand new Mazda alternator and battery, installed by the dealer.
I expect to keep this car a long time, and IMO it's worth spending a little extra for the peace of mind.

Only once I used my local garage and he tried to rip me off, so I'll never go back.
That's really unfortunate because he's within walking distance; a real plus IMO.

In the ten plus years I have been dealing with Wantagh Mazda they have never
recommended unnecessary work and have always fixed problems on the first visit.

If their service manager Jim Coyle changed to another make I might consider following him; he's that good...

Chris
04-13-2016, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #551
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I replaced the alternator and serpentine belt in daughters Scion TC few months ago. Think it cost me around US$ 130.00 or so from Advance auto. The belt was a hassle to reinstall, alternator not so much.
(I am a loyal subscriber to "ALL-DATA DIY" they have saved my bacon few times)
04-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #552
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I replaced the alternator and serpentine belt in daughters Scion TC few months ago. Think it cost me around US$ 130.00 or so from Advance auto. The belt was a hassle to reinstall, alternator not so much.
(I am a loyal subscriber to "ALL-DATA DIY" they have saved my bacon few times)
Serpentine belts are a snap to change out, but you have to know the 'trick'.

04-13-2016, 05:59 PM   #553
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Serpentine belts are a snap to change out, but you have to know the 'trick'.
Not a snap when you can`t fit your hands in there. Had to use a parts picker, aluminum straight edge, stainless steel welding wire and something else to get it on the pulleys correctly. About 2 1/2 hours and I did not get mad
04-13-2016, 06:03 PM   #554
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Where are you getting a battery for $25? A new battery will run $75 to $125, depending on the size and CCA rating.
They fell off the back of a truck?

I recently had my 4 year old battery replaced on my Accord. Had to get a hot shot at the car wash, did a recondition trickle charge in my garage that night and made an appointment at my Dealer day after next. I don't remember the exact numbers, but 80% of the 'cells' (not the 6 big cells) failed the charge test.

Ended up getting an 800 CCA / 1000 SurgeAmp battery for $169 installed. Since I was at 29,xxx miles I had the 30,000 mile routine maintenance done - took 90 minutes, during which I tried to sit in a new Honda Pilot, but they sold it right off the floor while I was there.

The salesman said they stay on the lot less than 1 day. Often sold before they're delivered. St. Louis is very streaky that way. If a car is adopted by the popular set, EVERYONE has to have one.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-13-2016 at 08:14 PM.
04-13-2016, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #555
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Not a snap when you can`t fit your hands in there. Had to use a parts picker, aluminum straight edge, stainless steel welding wire and something else to get it on the pulleys correctly. About 2 1/2 hours and I did not get mad
That's the problem with modern cars - no space for hands! With my old F100, I could sit on the fender with my feet on the inner fender arch to replace the spark plugs.