Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2017, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #661
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Subaru-only family here: a 2014 Forester and a 2017 Outback. The greenhouse in the Forester is simply the best anywhere. This is the birding vehicle. The Outback has the safety-assist fixings and they work well. I thought they would be too mother-hen for me but they have saved my a** a few times already. Rooftop boxes on both vehicles double the storage space.

Last edited by jbinpg; 10-03-2017 at 03:03 PM.
10-03-2017, 04:24 PM   #662
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Hm, I don't have any issues with the bells and whistles, in terms of usability.
Depends. In some cases, if a bell or whistle fails the car's software will shut the car down or cripple it until the item is repaired and the software reset, even if you never use that particular bell or whistle. Then it might only be repairable by a main agent, because only they are permitted the necessary software to do the reset, and independent repairers are not. It is a way to make owners pay more.

This is becoming a serious issue with cars and other "smart" stuff (Apple stuff and John Deer tractors are getting headlines in this):
A right to repair: why Nebraska farmers are taking on John Deere and Apple | Environment | The Guardian ),
...... leading to a "Right tho Repair" campaign - vigorously opposed by certain car makers, John Deer, Apple. Microsoft and other manufacturers.
Motor Vehicle Owners' Right to Repair Act - Wikipedia

For example my previous Jeep Cherokee (1996) had a simple lever to select low ratio or neutral in the transfer case; it required a bit of a pull but never gave a problem. My newer Grand Cherokee (2007) however does it with an electric servo motor; gee-whizz - sounds marvellous doesn't it? But some servo motors were faulty and were moving the transfer case into neutral of their own accord. So Jeep dealers were instructed to do a software "upgrade" that locked the transfer case servo motor in high ratio - the low ratio and neutral became permanently unavailable. A related problem in the later model Grand Cherokee killed the Startrek actor Anton Yelchin :
‘Star Trek’ Actor Killed By Defective Jeep Grand Cherokee | Kansas City Legal Examiner | Kansas City Missouri Personal Injury Lawyer
10-03-2017, 04:36 PM   #663
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Depends. In some cases, if a bell or whistle fails the car's software will shut the car down or cripple it until the item is repaired and the software reset, even if you never use that particular bell or whistle. Then it might only be repairable by a main agent, because only they are permitted the necessary software to do the reset, and independent repairers are not. It is a way to make owners pay more.

This is becoming a serious issue with cars and other "smart" stuff (Apple stuff and John Deer tractors are getting headlines in this):
A right to repair: why Nebraska farmers are taking on John Deere and Apple | Environment | The Guardian ),
...... leading to a "Right tho Repair" campaign - vigorously opposed by certain car makers, John Deer, Apple. Microsoft and other manufacturers.

For example my previous Jeep Cherokee (1996) had a simple lever to select low ratio or neutral in the transfer case; it required a bit of a pull but never gave a problem. My newer Grand Cherokee (2007) however does it with an electric servo motor; gee-whizz - sounds marvellous doesn't it? But some servo motors were faulty and were moving the transfer case into neutral of their own accord. So Jeep dealers were instructed to do a software "upgrade" that locked the transfer case servo motor in high ratio - the low ratio and neutral became permanently unavailable. A related problem in the later model Grand Cherokee killed the Startrek actor Anton Yelchin :
‘Star Trek’ Actor Killed By Defective Jeep Grand Cherokee | Kansas City Legal Examiner | Kansas City Missouri Personal Injury Lawyer
I'd be pretty miffed if my vehicle manufacturer decided I was no longer entitled to use my 4x4's low range. But luckily I have a primitive Landrover!
10-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #664
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote

Holy crap, that's what killed Yelchin? I hope Chrysler will have to pay...

My bells and whistles are not related to the gearbox, thankfully. It's manual, and the handbrake I can hear engage. I did have an issue a few months ago... I started the engine, released the handbrake and suddenly the car started rolling, even though I was still on the brakes (uphill). Reason was the brake booster didn't work, even though the engine was on. Turning it off and on again "solved" the problem, it hasn't occurred since, but it's a bit scary.

It's always a trade off... do I think the bells and whistles I want are worth the risks or not. Like keyless go. I don't think the benefit (no need to push a button to unlock the car) is worth the risk (being easy to steal for thieves). With many other things however I'll gladly take the feature.

12-18-2017, 11:22 PM   #665
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
2015 Mazda MX-5 Grand Touring roadster with power retractable hard top. The car has been very reliable. I currently split my drive time between it and a 2018 Honda HR-V EX-L. Was rear ended at a stop light by a driver going 50mi/hr on a city street. Totaled the other car, but the Honda took care of me. Over $7000 damage on a new vehicle with only 621 miles on her. She has been fully repaired and is good as new. So, I can definitely say I appreciate the safety features of the Honda. I was pretty bummed out about a brand new car getting creamed that way. My spouse pointed out though that had I been in the roadster that morning, I would likely have been seriously injured.

The things I like about both vehicles: Leather interior, heated seats, push button start (Honda only). Sirius XM capability. Both vehicles have good turn radiuses. I love the power retractable hard top on the roadster because I don’t have to worry about some miscreant filleting a soft top on it. I really like the back up cameras. Seems like drivers are so impatient these days that when they see a car backing out of a parking space they speed up to get by rather than wait while one pulls out. Back-up cameras have saved many a one of them from getting backed into. Gas mileage is decent with both vehicles and I like how they handle, especially the roadster.

Things I’m not 100% happy with:

Honda - No front camera or side view camera other than when turning right. All of the interior controls except the parking break are touch activated, not a knob in sight. Not a problem with the audio and navigation, but distracting when trying to adjust the climate control while driving. The Mazda has an after-market head unit with a back up camera. Would like to have a front camera on it too. Apparently not doable on the Honda without putting in an after-market head unit, The unit in the Mazda does have a second camera capability, so adding one will be my birthday present in January:-)

Never expected to have 2 vehicles, but it was so scary driving in the rainstorms in the roadster last winter (not to mention the multitude of potholes that appeared after so many years of drought). As much as I love the roadster and top down driving, I will probably let it go when it is at the break even point on the purchase loan. The recent accident in the Honda really burst my denial bubble about safety of the roadster in the event of a similar accident.
12-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #666
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@loveisageless While my daughter was Test-driving an MX-3 Hatchback the evil salesman asked me, “Can you drive a stick?” as he pulled the keys to an MX-5 GT retractable hardtop. I had 30 glorious minutes reliving my youth driving a 1973 MGB I bought after college. mrs monochrome accepted my first offer of dinner and dancing only because she’d never ridden in an MG. I could have written a check and asked the Dealer’s porter to ferry home my 2012 Accord EX-L V-6.

Then I gave back the keys and bought my daughter’s car.
12-19-2017, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #667
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
@loveisageless While my daughter was Test-driving an MX-3 Hatchback the evil salesman asked me, “Can you drive a stick?” as he pulled the keys to an MX-5 GT retractable hardtop. I had 30 glorious minutes reliving my youth driving a 1973 MGB I bought after college. mrs monochrome accepted my first offer of dinner and dancing only because she’d never ridden in an MG. I could have written a check and asked the Dealer’s porter to ferry home my 2012 Accord EX-L V-6.

Then I gave back the keys and bought my daughter’s car.
When I was shopping for a roadster I test drove the Mini roadster. Gimmicky awkward little car. When I test drove the MX-5 I just started grinning. I knew it was going to be my car from that first drive. I still drive it locally on the weekends, but rarely to work anymore. I inherited the roadster gene, as I call it, from my dad. I've had older used Honda and Mercedes roadsters over the years. The MX-5 was my first new one. I'm going to be 59 years old next month. It wasn't my mid-life crisis car. It was my mid-life celebration car. Every time I drive it I think of my dad, who passed away in 1994, and say a silent thank you for passing along the roadster gene:-) My mom told me that when she married my dad he had a red MG roadster circa 1955, I think she said. Broke his heart to sell it when my older sister and I came along. I suspect it was part of the reason the marriage did not last lol

12-20-2017, 06:05 AM   #668
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
When I was shopping for a roadster I test drove the Mini roadster. Gimmicky awkward little car. When I test drove the MX-5 I just started grinning. I knew it was going to be my car from that first drive. I still drive it locally on the weekends, but rarely to work anymore. I inherited the roadster gene, as I call it, from my dad. I've had older used Honda and Mercedes roadsters over the years. The MX-5 was my first new one. I'm going to be 59 years old next month. It wasn't my mid-life crisis car. It was my mid-life celebration car. Every time I drive it I think of my dad, who passed away in 1994, and say a silent thank you for passing along the roadster gene:-) My mom told me that when she married my dad he had a red MG roadster circa 1955, I think she said. Broke his heart to sell it when my older sister and I came along. I suspect it was part of the reason the marriage did not last lol
Heh - Mini Beemers.

My wife loves her Cooper S Hardtop.
12-20-2017, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #669
Pentaxian

I drive a 1993 Toyota Celica and I love it.

This car was bought 5-6 months ago and it wasn't my first, second or even third choice.It was a car of necessity since I was about to start a job for the first time since my previous car was totaled by an old man running the speed light going 50-60 mph a year prior. This car isn't the prettiest right now, peeling paint/clearcoat, but I like the look of her. She was owned by a man who had died recently, his wife was selling the car, she was telling me how this car meant everything to him even though in the last couple years of his life he couldn't take care of it as well as he would have liked.

After some maintenance work she's on the road and reliable, and a pure blast to drive. Sure it's really slow with a 100hp engine but the hard suspension and decent tires allows me to go around corners so much better than any other car I've owned, it's an absolute treat. It has sparked my interest in these small Japanese cars and I plan on working on this car for quite a few years, perhaps even turning it into a project car, swapping out the slow economy 4AFE for the black top 20 valve 4AGE straight from Japan, giving it 180+ horsepower and a manual gearbox (drop in replacement). Although if someone gave me an LS1/3 I wouldn't say no to that either

Plus this thing has popup headlights, the best feature of any car.

But here are my pros and cons:

Pros:
Popup headlights
Cheap insurance
Surprisingly comfortable fabric seats
Good gas milage
Hasn't broken down yet
Parts are cheap (Tierods+CV joint repair+tire installation only cost me 450 dollars)
Best looking generation of Celica
Hard suspension
No traction control

Cons:
S L O W
Automatic transmission (planning on replacing at one point or another)
Cheap interior
Loud road noise and wind noise
Rear seats uncomfortable
Not AWD
Doesn't wake me up and make me breakfast
No ABS

Second pic taken right before irma, proof the car was waterproof

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 12-20-2017 at 10:18 AM.
12-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #670
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Like cameras today I would have a difficult time finding a new car simple enough for my tastes.
I prefer analog gauges and controls. I don't need or want a light show on my dashboard.
Today's cars do feature some useful advances but far too many toys, bells and whistles.

Chris
We'd get along in person just fine. I always figured the less bells and whistles, the less to break.

I drive a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. It's the base model, with only two options added. I change the oil about every 10,000 miles and it just keeps going. In it's 14-year life the only repair it's needed is the fuel pump once. I had an old, beat-up Grand Am as a teenager and even though I tried, I couldn't kill that car. My dream was to push it off a cliff in a ball of flames, but it kept running. I did some work for someone who couldn't pay, so she gave me her car. She had never changed the oil or air filter once (it had 175,000 miles on it when she gave it to me). It went from 8 miles per gallon of gas to 30 after I tuned it up. It was not my main car and it really didn't cost me anything so I played bumper cars with it, jumped it on railroad tracks, tried skimming it across a pond at 80 MPH (and failed halfway across), and many other things but it just kept going. This car is the reason I have another Grand Am, which has been just as reliable and durable.

I have a 2005 Chevy Uplander with very low miles.

I sold my motorcycle and 1975 VW Bug not too long ago.

I have a 1991 Ford F-250 to pull out tree stumps, haul stuff to the dump, and haul the campers (a 27' and a 1960 truck camper for the hard-to-access spots).
12-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #671
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wikipedia says the 5th gen Celica has Super Round Organic styling!
12-20-2017, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #672
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just updated my Subaru Forester from 2003 to 2014. I lost confidence that the old one was going to get me back from my fishing/photography excursions to the boonies (and my knees strongly suggested I graduate to automatic transmission.) It's ok but I miss the old one which was smaller, delivered better road feel and was unburdened by ineptly implemented technology solutions for non-problems. Our dog, Princess, also misses the old one--she could easily jump onto its backseat but (at 14 yo) needs the help of a platform, curb or physical boost to get into the 2014.
12-20-2017, 09:43 PM   #673
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

2008 Toyota Corolla

I have a grayish colored 2008 Toyota Corolla. I want to buy something more exciting when it finally breaks down. This does not happen, however, and the car continues to run without repair except for soft parts--what the garage calls windshield wipers, tires, belts and battery. At 175,000 it looks and acts the same as it looked and acted when I purchased it. In terms of style it is very generic so, unlike its owner, its appearance does not give away its age. It would be nice to own something more attractive, more stylish, more powerful, which I will do as soon as it breaks down. However, judging from its performance so far, and considering my age at 77, it may just carry me all the way on out.

Pros:
1. good gas mileage
2. no mechanical costs/it does not break
3. plenty of room to carry most ordinary stuff/have big truck for other stuff
4. classic styling
5. adequate power
6. good steering
7. low insurance costs
8. no rust

Cons:
1. dull and uneventful
2. hard to find a reason to get rid of it
3. not very powerful
12-21-2017, 06:16 AM   #674
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I want to buy something more exciting when it finally breaks down.
Ain't going to happen so I suggest you pick up the car of your dreams now (but keep the Corolla-you'll need it while the Porsche is in the shop) . Or is automotive monogamy strictly enforced in Medina?

But seriously, beware of technology--they slather it on the new cars like icing on a wedding cake only with less thought. The clock in my new Forester is still on daylight saving time because the procedure for resetting it is so inanely complicated I can't be bothered: a dealer in NC had to put up an instructional video on that topic in self-defense.

Last edited by dadipentak; 12-21-2017 at 06:31 AM.
12-21-2017, 07:42 AM   #675
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a 2017 Suburu Forester. My last car was a 2003 Honda Accord which I bought for its reliability and it served me very well. Although I had abused it terrible driving on jeep roads to remote hiking trails in Arizona and Utah, it continued to perform like new. It had 145000 miles on it and I decided last January to go for another 100000. Late January a high school girl roared out of side street in her Jeep Wrangler onto the main highway I was on and t-boned the Honda. It was a total loss so I decided it was time to get an appropriate off road vehicle - the Suburu. Unless it meets a similar untimely end I plan for it to be my last car.
Attached Images