Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2018, 05:41 AM   #871
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think it’s ironic that many people who complain about unnecessary 4WD SUV’s and Crossovers drive Subaru Outbacks.
My wife is averaging over 30 miles per gallon driving her 2017 Outback around town. Even better gas mileage on the interstate. The AWD makes her vehicle safer to drive. We are up to 113 inches (288 cm) of snow so far this winter. More due in a few days too. When I was gone most of the week as part of my job, I wanted a safe reliable vehicle for my wife to drive and her Subaru's have surpassed my expectations these past 18 years. She loves them. AWD is not 4WD. It works differently and on most vehicles it works like FWD under normal driving conditions.

Her first two Subaru's were Foresters. The Outback is her spoiling herself a bit as she will be retiring in a few years and wanted a nice car to drive into it. 0% financing and she will have it paid off when she does retire. At that point it will probably have all of 15,000 miles on it. Unless we take it on a trip she fills it up once a month.

03-18-2018, 05:52 AM   #872
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roflwaffle Quote
That sounds like my wife!

Still, > 45mpg is better than < 15mpg in her Audi A3.
15mpg in an A3? You'd have to drive like an absolute lunatic, or have some kind of ECU remap for pure performance. The stock ratings for the A3 have been at least in the mid-20s city and 30+ or even 40 highway for quite a while. To even get under 20 you'd have to be drag racing at every stoplight.

---------- Post added 03-18-18 at 08:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Honestly, these days I see more crossovers than full-blown SUVs anymore. It's a very popular segment these days.
My hope is that eventually people will long for more performance, better mileage, and better handling in some of their crossovers. This will result in several new types of crossovers that are lowered 3-4 inches and more aerodynamically sculpted. You could call them, and this is just a suggestion, "coupes", "sedans", and "wagons" or "estates".
03-18-2018, 09:00 AM   #873
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
My hope is that eventually people will long for more performance, better mileage, and better handling in some of their crossovers. This will result in several new types of crossovers that are lowered 3-4 inches and more aerodynamically sculpted. You could call them, and this is just a suggestion, "coupes", "sedans", and "wagons" or "estates".
Good shot!
03-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #874
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
My wife is averaging over 30 miles per gallon driving her 2017 Outback around town. Even better gas mileage on the interstate. The AWD makes her vehicle safer to drive. We are up to 113 inches (288 cm) of snow so far this winter. More due in a few days too. When I was gone most of the week as part of my job, I wanted a safe reliable vehicle for my wife to drive and her Subaru's have surpassed my expectations these past 18 years. She loves them. AWD is not 4WD. It works differently and on most vehicles it works like FWD under normal driving conditions.

Her first two Subaru's were Foresters. The Outback is her spoiling herself a bit as she will be retiring in a few years and wanted a nice car to drive into it. 0% financing and she will have it paid off when she does retire. At that point it will probably have all of 15,000 miles on it. Unless we take it on a trip she fills it up once a month.
What make/model of tires do you run on your AWD Suburu during the winters out there ? You have lots of snow to contend with....

03-18-2018, 01:53 PM   #875
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
What make/model of tires do you run on your AWD Suburu during the winters out there ? You have lots of snow to contend with....
The Outback is still running it's factory original tires. We usually run some sort of Goodyear all weather tire on her car. I always buy the top end tires no matter what brand I do purchase. They are your only contact with the road so why scrimp. Our normal winter is usually a cycle of storms and then melting. Having bad roads for more that a day or two is pretty rare. We do not run dedicated snow tire on any of our vehicles.
03-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #876
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Tundra wears Nokian WGR3 tires year round. Expensive, but no seasonal change required. Have silica in the compound for ice.
03-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #877
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
My Tundra wears Nokian WGR3 tires year round. Expensive, but no seasonal change required. Have silica in the compound for ice.
I've thought about getting Nokian WGR3 all weather tires when my current tires wear out. My daughter had them and they were fine in both Manitoba and Newfoundland winters. My son had them on his Jeep and they did the trick in even deeper snow...but then he also had the high ground clearance and separate drive for all 4 wheels...in addition... on his Jeep.

Think they're a good choice for western Canada. Only place I know that sell them out here are Kal Tire, which is ok for me.

---------- Post added 03-18-18 at 05:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
The Outback is still running it's factory original tires. We usually run some sort of Goodyear all weather tire on her car. I always buy the top end tires no matter what brand I do purchase. They are your only contact with the road so why scrimp. Our normal winter is usually a cycle of storms and then melting. Having bad roads for more that a day or two is pretty rare. We do not run dedicated snow tire on any of our vehicles.
I think All Weather tires are a good way to go in wintry climates. Out here, we get snow and ice...end of October/beginning of November...sometimes later...but it stays till at least March. Although the roads are generally cleared OK with graders and front end loaders, back country roads can be a different matter. I tried an Outback AWD wagon. Really liked it, but the legroom isn't enough for me. Had my eye on the 3.6 flat six.

03-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #878
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've thought about getting Nokian WGR3 all weather tires when my current tires wear out. My daughter had them and they were fine in both Manitoba and Newfoundland winters. My son had them on his Jeep and they did the trick in even deeper snow...but then he also had the high ground clearance and separate drive for all 4 wheels...in addition... on his Jeep.

Think they're a good choice for western Canada. Only place I know that sell them out here are Kal Tire, which is ok for me.[COLOR="Silver"]
I bought my first set of Nokians at Kal tire here in Sparwood when my Japanese Dunlops were done (about 30,000 Km). A jeep owner said he had them and they were the best tires he had ever had on it. I tried them. At 389,000 Km almost I'm on my 4th set and it won't be the last.

Bummer that only Kal carries them, though. It would be nice to have some price competition.
03-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #879
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I bought my first set of Nokians at Kal tire here in Sparwood when my Japanese Dunlops were done (about 30,000 Km). A jeep owner said he had them and they were the best tires he had ever had on it. I tried them. At 389,000 Km almost I'm on my 4th set and it won't be the last.

Bummer that only Kal carries them, though. It would be nice to have some price competition.
I agree, wish there were other dealers, in addition to Kal Tires that sold Nokians.
03-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #880
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

15mpg in an A3? You'd have to drive like an absolute lunatic, or have some kind of ECU remap for pure performance. The stock ratings for the A3 have been at least in the mid-20s city and 30+ or even 40 highway for quite a while. To even get under 20 you'd have to be drag racing at every stoplight.

---------- Post added 03-18-18 at 08:59 AM ----------

yeah, I wondered about that reported mileage

don't know about the A 3 but my Audi A 5 coupe gets much better gas mileage

we just got home from visiting my son and daughter in law in Omaha ( when I wasn't at the Henry Doorly Zoo.) I am very happy with how the new to us 2016 GMC Acadia Delani worked out - on a tank of gas probably 95 % or better highway, 18 + MPG

We didn't tell them that we had gotten the GMC and they were out shopping with the wife Sat AM and then they met me at the zoo.

I said we had to go check on the dog at the motel and we should take one car, leaving the other parked at the zoo.

the D in L wanted to drive 2 since she is tall and she thought we had the A 5.

I insisted and they got a little surprise when we went into the parking lot and I open up the GMC remotely and said, what are you waiting for, get in
03-18-2018, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #881
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree, wish there were other dealers, in addition to Kal Tires that sold Nokians.
Grew up using Nokia studded tyres. Hard to beat them when things freeze up.
03-19-2018, 05:25 AM   #882
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
yeah, I wondered about that reported mileage

don't know about the A 3 but my Audi A 5 coupe gets much better gas mileage

My '14 S4, which has a supercharged 333hp six-cylinder that is tuned for more performance than mileage and weighs 3800 lbs, gets 23-24 in normal use and over 25 on the highway. I don't think I've ever had a tank of gas where I've averaged under 20.

The current A3 has a 200ish hp four cylinder that's rated 26 city and 35 highway, and it weighs 500 lbs less than the S4. I don't know if you could get the thing under 15mpg if you were just hooning the crap out of it at the Top Gear test track.
03-19-2018, 06:14 AM   #883
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

My '14 S4, which has a supercharged 333hp six-cylinder that is tuned for more performance than mileage and weighs 3800 lbs, gets 23-24 in normal use and over 25 on the highway. I don't think I've ever had a tank of gas where I've averaged under 20.

The current A3 has a 200ish hp four cylinder that's rated 26 city and 35 highway, and it weighs 500 lbs less than the S4. I don't know if you could get the thing under 15mpg if you were just hooning the crap out of it at the Top Gear test track.
my turbo charged 4 cylinder 2015 5 4 coupe is rated at 220 h/p which was supposed to be a 20 h/p increase over the turbo charged '14 A 5 coupe

and I was told by the salesman that mine was supposed to top out at 140 MPH

I turned down a chance to look at a '15 S5 which had a bigger engine and was suppose to be much faster

140 MPH is far more than I ever plan on traveling

I don't keep track of mileage but I know it beats what was reported by the poster regarding his A 3

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-24-2018 at 09:36 AM. Reason: corrected model from 4 to 5
03-20-2018, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #884
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Our SLK250 has a similar 201hp turbo 4. My wife likes to put the top down on her stop and go commute home, on summer afternoons with 100 degree temps. The climate control has a button labeled "Max Cool" which drops the temperature to minimum, turns the fan speed to maximum and increases the compressor run time. When she does that, the gas mileage drops to 24mpg or so, like a 10% hit.

Old photo for Kombivan:

03-20-2018, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #885
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
No, gas is cheap here too, for now. If it ever gets back up around $4 - and I'm quite certain it will - many will be trading in their trucks and large SUVs.

Chris
Yup - and many will lose far, far more in depreciation than they'll ever save in gas money.

Jer