Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2018, 09:35 AM   #1096
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The USPS national technical training facility is located in Norman Oklahoma. I am required to attend classes there every so often.
Norman is of course also home to The University of Oklahoma and their famous Sooners football team.

I have noticed the vast majority of pickup trucks there - and there are plenty of them - are Sooner Red, especially on Saturday game days.
When they play arch-rival Oklahoma State University I always look for but haven't noticed any in Cowboy Orange.

My brother lived in Denham Springs Louisiana in the 1970's. He said many folks in the area painted their homes purple with gold trim,
the same as the uniforms of the LSU Tigers. Later they changed the uniform to mostly white, so those homes may now be less garish.

Chris
I think it's funny, if not a bit odd for someone to have so much school pride long after they have graduated from their alma mater. But here I often see red vehicles with a custom collegiate license plate for the University of Utah on it, and blue vehicles with the BYU collegiate plate. I'm not sure if the University of Oklahoma has collegiate plates, as I've never see them when in town. OSU has them though:

04-30-2018, 11:34 AM   #1097
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
And lets not forget about VW, which has everything from the 4053mm long Polo to the 5073mm long Atlas sitting on the same platform... and I once read that one factory is able to produce multiple different vehicles based on this platform on one production line.

Their system is a masterclass in efficiency.

Ford will continue producing the Focus etc., so they don't even have to lower the cars again. They just have to bring in these models.

I was amused when I heard they were going to bring in the EcoSport in order to replace the Fiesta. Really. The EcoSport is regarded as one of the worst cars these days, certainly amongst the ones made by Ford. It's a dreadful third world car (though they have tried to fix that, and maybe newer versions are okay?). Brilliant super mini, vs. terrible small crossover.

There's nothing in the "new" Ford updated lineup (amongst the cars replacing the sedans and hatchbacks) that could get me even mildly interested. But I'm not an American. The Raptor is cool, but it would be a nightmare to live with over here.

What has made me stop considering Ford in the past was their interior, the interior design. It's just ugly and outdated. It's a shame, because in terms of driving dynamics they are wonderful (apart from the EcoSport). Used to drive a 1996 Ford Fiesta for a while, and it was great fun. Similar era Ka? Go kart with doors. And the Focus from the late 2000s? Good fun, too. Thankfully the latest Focus fixes the interior...
Not only VW models but various Skoda,Audi and Seat models!!
04-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #1098
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I'm not surprised by this. Buick seems pretty directionless to me nowadays. Heck, Pontiac had more "direction" before it was shut in than Buick has these days.

Personally, I don't think Lincoln is going anywhere. They don't appear to be as interested in competing directly with Cadillac in a performance arena, but it does seem they are trying hard to appeal to the "DINK" graphic (DINK = Dual Income, No KIds) and/or successful singletons.
They have some attractive cars but every one of their ads are "we have all the SUVs... Small, medium and large!"

At the Washington auto show I wanted to see the new Opel-turned-Buick wagon. It wasn't there. That's the only Buick of my nearly 47 year lifetime I've ever thought about as something I'd buy. They didn't seem bothered it wasn't there. They were too busy showing off what appeared to be Chevy Spark based SUVs.

04-30-2018, 12:41 PM   #1099
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
They were too busy showing off what appeared to be Chevy Spark based SUVs.
Yuch!

My mechanics are charging a half hour of labor to change a headlight on some of the new Chevy's because they have to remove multiple body panels to get to them. Insanity reigns!. Designed for assembly not repair I guess.

04-30-2018, 12:47 PM   #1100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Yuch!

My mechanics are charging a half hour of labor to change a headlight on some of the new Chevy's because they have to remove multiple body panels to get to them. Insanity reigns!. Designed for assembly not repair I guess.
Not as bad as the carefully engineered Chevrolets with the engines where the #8 (?) spark plug could not be removed after the engine was installed. One of the back two anyway. Mechanics ended up creating an access panel through the fender well.

I just changed a backup light on my Tundra. Two bolts, pull out the assembly, change bulb, replace, put the bolts back in. Took me longer to buy the bulb than to change it. I appreciate THAT design, for sure.

PS SOME things aren't as easy. One must remove the skid plate to change the oil filter.
04-30-2018, 01:34 PM   #1101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
One must remove the skid plate to change the oil filter.
At least you have a skid plate protecting your oil pan. That is the choice we make with off road capable vehicles. My Sonata hybrid wouldn't pass inspection due to the chin spoiler always catching curbs and snowbanks, so I had to grab a roll of duct tape so there were no sharp edges in the flexible plastic. Aerodynamics make for annoyances if there is anything in the road when you are at highway speed. (Porcupines, skunks, turkeys, lumber and other unsecured junk from pick up trucks.)
04-30-2018, 07:07 PM   #1102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
It depends. If you can push the rocket button fast enough after pressing the ejector button...
...I got to be careful here, just in case my wife reads this post.

---------- Post added 04-30-18 at 09:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote

And you're right - it would be tough to explain; in fact, I can already feel the size of the dent in my head.

Jer

---------- Post added 04-30-2018 at 01:19 PM ----------

Jer
Jer,

My advice... is don't explain...don't apologize.

On second thought...if you follow my advice ...you may up with a couple of dents in your noggin. I think this is known in the health insurance business as....double in..dent..ity..

A bit of a stretch, I know.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; 04-30-2018 at 07:52 PM.
05-01-2018, 06:26 AM   #1103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

Jer,

My advice... is don't explain...don't apologize.

On second thought...if you follow my advice ...you may up with a couple of dents in your noggin. I think this is known in the health insurance business as....double in..dent..ity..

A bit of a stretch, I know.

Les

. . . . . groan. . . . . . I love puns, Les, and that was a dandy.

Jer
05-01-2018, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #1104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I think it's funny, if not a bit odd for someone to have so much school pride long after they have graduated from their alma mater. But here I often see red vehicles with a custom collegiate license plate for the University of Utah on it, and blue vehicles with the BYU collegiate plate. I'm not sure if the University of Oklahoma has collegiate plates, as I've never see them when in town. OSU has them though:
Heh, it's actually a total coincidence, but you could call my Volvo my school colors, too. These really were not a big thing with me at the time, mind you. I did have a couple of nice huge T-shirts to sleep in, though. This town, on the other hand, really likes getting cars in the local school colors, though on the used-truck hunt we managed to avoid the bright red, (which I don't particularly care for, even if a lot of cars look good in it.)

They were talking about another Buick/Opel thing? I remember as a young kid seeing the Opels at the Buick/Opel dealer. I wanted a Manta, though those didn't seem to fare very well in New England for longevity.
05-02-2018, 08:35 AM   #1105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Heh, it's actually a total coincidence, but you could call my Volvo my school colors, too. These really were not a big thing with me at the time, mind you. I did have a couple of nice huge T-shirts to sleep in, though. This town, on the other hand, really likes getting cars in the local school colors, though on the used-truck hunt we managed to avoid the bright red, (which I don't particularly care for, even if a lot of cars look good in it.)

They were talking about another Buick/Opel thing? I remember as a young kid seeing the Opels at the Buick/Opel dealer. I wanted a Manta, though those didn't seem to fare very well in New England for longevity.
The Manta was a bit tinny but with that 1 Liter engine could really boogie! I wanted the Opel GT but never found one for sale once I got my license.
05-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #1106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
At least you have a skid plate protecting your oil pan. That is the choice we make with off road capable vehicles. My Sonata hybrid wouldn't pass inspection due to the chin spoiler always catching curbs and snowbanks, so I had to grab a roll of duct tape so there were no sharp edges in the flexible plastic. Aerodynamics make for annoyances if there is anything in the road when you are at highway speed. (Porcupines, skunks, turkeys, lumber and other unsecured junk from pick up trucks.)
I am used to seeing "Falling Rock" signs but never any rocks. But through the mountains, there is a rock season. Freezing and thawing loosens rocks next to the highway, and they fall. We drove out to Moab on I70, which cuts through Glenwood Canyon. The cliffs are a thousand feet above the highway deck. I was zipping along following someone in the left lane at 65, wondering why everyone was going below the limit, when I saw sparks fly out from the car in front of me. Then a soccer-ball-sized rock in the middle of the lane, no way to do anything except straddle it. Fortunately I was in the Frontier, so it didn't even touch anything. The car in front of me had to pull off; that must have at least made them want to look underneath.

The highway there is elevated so they can squeeze east and west lanes into a very narrow canyon. Rocks have fallen with enough mass and momentum to punch through the highway deck, at least twice in the past 10 years.
05-02-2018, 05:08 PM   #1107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The highway there is elevated so they can squeeze east and west lanes into a very narrow canyon. Rocks have fallen with enough mass and momentum to punch through the highway deck, at least twice in the past 10 years.
Yikes! That is a huge amount of force to punch through reinforced concrete decking. Sounds a bit scary since my car would probably be totaled if I hit that rock at highway speed. Up here in Maine we worry about deer and moose. Moose more since they just come through the windshield and crush you since they are so tall, I think the rock would be a better thing to hit though. The wife hit a moose at about 20 MPH and he still caved in the windshield and mangled the hood and front fascia of a compact Ford. She drove it home with her head out the drivers side window so she could see to get home. The moose walked away.
05-02-2018, 06:08 PM   #1108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When my brother lived in Louisiana somewhere along his interstate commute for one job was a high elevated overpass with a sharp turn.
Cars and trucks would regularly go off the road and over the side there. On the ground immediately below they built children's playground.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 05-02-2018 at 06:13 PM.
05-27-2018, 08:21 AM   #1109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My new to me Outback. I'll let you know the likes and dislikes after I get to drive it a while.
05-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #1110
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
My new to me Outback. I'll let you know the likes and dislikes after I get to drive it a while.

Does it have that CVT gearbox?