Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2018, 09:26 AM   #1291
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
In a couple of days, my wife's 2015 Mercedes-Benz SLK250 is about to switch from a perfectly reliable car to an expensive money pit mostly parked at the dealer. Because the warranty is up. Many armchair experts have predicted a dark future for us.
My 2014 Audi S4 had the warranty expire a little less than a year ago. It's been flawless. But the real test is later this month when it's paid off. Brilliant but needlessly complicated German car, out of warranty, no payments. That's exactly when stuff starts breaking at or above the amount you were going to save from not having payments.

08-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #1292
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
My 2014 Audi S4 had the warranty expire a little less than a year ago. It's been flawless. But the real test is later this month when it's paid off. Brilliant but needlessly complicated German car, out of warranty, no payments. That's exactly when stuff starts breaking at or above the amount you were going to save from not having payments.
I agree.

A few years back I read an article about modern cars. Essentially the article indicated that modern cars generally are very reliable, durable and don't require very much in the way of major rebuilds...engine, transmission, etc. The problem areas generally hit about 5-7 years after brand new and in particular one of the big problems areas that is affected within that 5-7 year period, was identified as the electronics.

A lot of the electronics are in the engine bay area and those old bugaboos of noise, harshness and vibration (NHV) come into play ...under the hood...It does get hot, it does get a lot of vibration and there is the noise factor, although I would say vibration and harshness are the main culprits in my opinion.

Electronics have difficulty with NVH.

Many people unload their vehicles after the manufacturer's warranty is up. Many get an extended...manufacturer's...warranty and unload their vehicle at the end of that.

In my experience I have found that electronic parts can be expensive and certainly labour costs to repair vehicles nowadays are also expensive.
08-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #1293
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I agree.

A few years back I read an article about modern cars. Essentially the article indicated that modern cars generally are very reliable, durable and don't require very much in the way of major rebuilds...engine, transmission, etc. The problem areas generally hit about 5-7 years after brand new and in particular one of the big problems areas that is affected within that 5-7 year period, was identified as the electronics.

A lot of the electronics are in the engine bay area and those old bugaboos of noise, harshness and vibration (NHV) come into play ...under the hood...It does get hot, it does get a lot of vibration and there is the noise factor, although I would say vibration and harshness are the main culprits in my opinion.

Electronics have difficulty with NVH.

Many people unload their vehicles after the manufacturer's warranty is up. Many get an extended...manufacturer's...warranty and unload their vehicle at the end of that.

In my experience I have found that electronic parts can be expensive and certainly labour costs to repair vehicles nowadays are also expensive.
I'm going to keep changing the oil, doing the recommended maintenance, and hope it gets me 150k miles.
08-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #1294
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to keep changing the oil, doing the recommended maintenance, and hope it gets me 150k miles.
Exactly. It's too late to do anything else.

I said something about 12 years when my wife decided to buy the SLK. Who knows if we get there. The basic drivetrain has been around for a while, so maybe. I have to rely on the electronics being the same across nearly all the MB line. The biggest worry is the folding metal roof, a 22 second transformation from a sedan to a convertible. The roof, back window and trunk lid all fold up into the trunk. It works now, but in a few years, some alignment issue or parts wear and the whole thing could be crap. Just look at Mercedes-Benz Active Body Control, a great option which breaks regularly, turning your car into a parked lowrider. They can replace the parts for a lot, which will fail again. Or throw those away and rebuild your suspension with conventional parts. The general roof reliability is very good, but you never know for sure.

08-03-2018, 02:54 AM   #1295
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
In a couple of days, my wife's 2015 Mercedes-Benz SLK250 is about to switch from a perfectly reliable car to an expensive money pit mostly parked at the dealer. Because the warranty is up. Many armchair experts have predicted a dark future for us.
I predict a new car in your near future.
08-03-2018, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #1296
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SKYGZR Quote
As far as a true motorcyclist is concerned (and I'm a true motorcyclist, ie;one who rides year round & just not on the weekends, or during "nice weather")...ALL cage drivers are "crazy" & a hazard......even more now days with the fart phone stupidity & ifotainment stupid systems in most cages...
Ever go to Sturgis, South Dakota during Bike Week? I'm not sure which is worse. The cars or the biker wannabes who are going 45mp on I90 with looks of sheer terror on the faces while they back up traffic for miles.

Lots of crazies on both sides of the issue. Two years ago I was returning from Yellowstone on I80 just west of Chicago. Both lanes full. Traffic moving along at 70mph when about 10 jerks on crotch rockets come racing down the interstate between the two lanes of traffic doing about 80mph. I have seen a lot of crazy stunts in over 450,000 miles of driving on the interstates but never anything like that. I wonder how many of them are still alive?

Do you wear a helmet? Not all cage drivers are crazy and a hazard but you do have to treat them all as a loaded firearm. You just never know. In either case paranoia is a good thing. Haven't owned a bike in decades. Too old to start again now. Ride safe and I'll keep an eye out for you and your friends.
08-03-2018, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #1297
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Ever go to Sturgis, South Dakota during Bike Week? I'm not sure which is worse. The cars or the biker wannabes who are going 45mp on I90 with looks of sheer terror on the faces while they back up traffic for miles.

Lots of crazies on both sides of the issue. Two years ago I was returning from Yellowstone on I80 just west of Chicago. Both lanes full. Traffic moving along at 70mph when about 10 jerks on crotch rockets come racing down the interstate between the two lanes of traffic doing about 80mph. I have seen a lot of crazy stunts in over 450,000 miles of driving on the interstates but never anything like that. I wonder how many of them are still alive?

Do you wear a helmet? Not all cage drivers are crazy and a hazard but you do have to treat them all as a loaded firearm. You just never know. In either case paranoia is a good thing. Haven't owned a bike in decades. Too old to start again now. Ride safe and I'll keep an eye out for you and your friends.
I find myself nodding in agreement when I read your post.

I remember our trip to Yellowstone...a couple of years ago. What a wild trip...and I'm just talking about the drivers, riders and people.

As for motorcycle helmets...full face, department of transport certified and Snell Approved. Those are my criteria. Back in the 1960's a very reputable helmet manufacturer used to have an advert in motorcycle magazines. If you have a ten dollar head, get a ten dollar helmet. Still holds true today, as a motorcyclist , a top rated helmet, IMO, is the only way to go.

08-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #1298
Veteran Member

Heard that. But still, having a paid off car is worth it. No more several hundred dollar a month payments. It's nice to have that amount of new disposable income. The way I've always looked at used car ownership -- most repairs are minor and are worth it because they're so much cheaper than regular car payments. And even when a major repair comes along, it's still worth it for the same reason -- all those payments you're not having to make.
08-04-2018, 03:12 AM   #1299
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Heard that. But still, having a paid off car is worth it. No more several hundred dollar a month payments. It's nice to have that amount of new disposable income. The way I've always looked at used car ownership -- most repairs are minor and are worth it because they're so much cheaper than regular car payments. And even when a major repair comes along, it's still worth it for the same reason -- all those payments you're not having to make.
I was exaggerating a bit, especially in my case where I shun long car loans and take the pain up front to get it paid off. My rule of thumb is if you can't afford to pay a car off in 3-4 years you should buy less car. With one month's car payment I could fix something pretty major.
08-04-2018, 09:22 AM   #1300
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was exaggerating a bit, especially in my case where I shun long car loans and take the pain up front to get it paid off. My rule of thumb is if you can't afford to pay a car off in 3-4 years you should buy less car. With one month's car payment I could fix something pretty major.
I just spent about CDN$1,000 on repairs to my 2002 Tundra. To buy a new equivalent to the truck, with enough oomph to tow our small 5th wheel camping trailer, it would be nearly that EVERY MONTH for a payment. The repairs were rear axle bearings and seals at 293,000 Km (180,000 miles).

My pickup, bought new with 206.0 Km on the odometer, 3 Sep 2003 ($5,000 off because the 2003's were coming) was purchased for CDN$ 35,000 + a 1990 6 cylinder Toyota pickup with 285,000 km (175,000 miles) on it. The largest expense items on this vehicle for the 15 years we have owned it after the initial purchase price are insurance and fuel. Repairs have averaged less than C$500 a year. Scheduled maintenance is C$700 every 48,000 km, and not included int the above C$500.

I have no intention of replacing it. It has failed to start twice. The regular occupant of the driver's seat didn't close the doors all the way and the battery was dead both times. It has never been towed. I do scheduled maintenance whenever it is due. Preventive maintenance is the cheapest thing you can do for your vehicle, in the long haul.
08-04-2018, 10:54 PM   #1301
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
it would be nearly that EVERY MONTH for a payment.
That's the problem I am having, I keep looking at new cars but my 13 and 16 year old cars just keep working and are paid off so I always end up leaving a dealership feeling like it's just not worth it.
08-05-2018, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #1302
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I predict a new car in your near future.
Tis my thought as well. I bought a GL350 Bluetec Diesel for my wife as the big family vehicle a few years back due to long list of desirable features (great fuel economy, torque, cabin space, offroad ability, tight handling). After 3 years of out of warranty ownership I was spent. The beast never stranded us and did what it did marvelously, but there was nothing that ever cost less than $400, and there were constant electronics and sensors being replaced. I used a 3rd party Benz specialty mechanic which was slightly cheaper than the dealer, but still very pricey to keep it running. Even an air filter replacement was 2 hours labor due to the stupid location and it being dual-lung design. There was also lots of corner cutting on small components where spending an extra $2 would have made the same part last nearly forever by using a different material or a tiny bit thicker piece. MB is not what it used to be.

We sold it to a diesel fanatic at 85k miles and bought an Expedition. Fuel economy sucks, but the space for a family of six plus a bunch of mountain gear is great and It is a lit cheaper to work on.

---------- Post added 08-05-18 at 04:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
That's the problem I am having, I keep looking at new cars but my 13 and 16 year old cars just keep working and are paid off so I always end up leaving a dealership feeling like it's just not worth it.
I'm pretty sure my 05 Marquis will keep running for 10 more years based on my family history with them, so you are not alone. I'm a car shopping junky, but despite it being pretty rough cosmetically with hail damage and peeling paint, it is pretty bullet proof and comfortable.
08-05-2018, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #1303
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
Tis my thought as well. I bought a GL350 Bluetec Diesel for my wife as the big family vehicle a few years back due to long list of desirable features (great fuel economy, torque, cabin space, offroad ability, tight handling). After 3 years of out of warranty ownership I was spent. The beast never stranded us and did what it did marvelously, but there was nothing that ever cost less than $400, and there were constant electronics and sensors being replaced. I used a 3rd party Benz specialty mechanic which was slightly cheaper than the dealer, but still very pricey to keep it running. Even an air filter replacement was 2 hours labor due to the stupid location and it being dual-lung design. There was also lots of corner cutting on small components where spending an extra $2 would have made the same part last nearly forever by using a different material or a tiny bit thicker piece. MB is not what it used to be.

We sold it to a diesel fanatic at 85k miles and bought an Expedition. Fuel economy sucks, but the space for a family of six plus a bunch of mountain gear is great and It is a lit cheaper to work on.

---------- Post added 08-05-18 at 04:32 PM ----------

I'm pretty sure my 05 Marquis will keep running for 10 more years based on my family history with them, so you are not alone. I'm a car shopping junky, but despite it being pretty rough cosmetically with hail damage and peeling paint, it is pretty bullet proof and comfortable.
I agree, I also think you'll get more service out of your big Mercury Marquis...body on frame, rear wheel drive, V8.

The most reliable, durable car we ever had was a 1976 Chevy Impala. My parents bought it new in December, 1975. My wife and I bought it in August 1984 and drove it till July 1997.

In those 21 years of family ownership besides tire and the very occasional brake job...it ran like a top. I changed the oil and filter every 2000-3000 miles, used Quaker State, which is what my dad has used from the beginning of the car's life. We didn't do much else, except change the fluids. We pulled our trailer with it throughout the Canadian prairies, the Rockies, BC, Vancouver Island, toured many of the western U.S. states, went through the U.S. Midwest, Ontario, etc. We added a transmission cooler and beefed up the rear suspension with MOOG heavy duty Progressive springs..all this was done to set up the car for trailer towing.

It started in -35 C and a few days in the low -40's one winter...outside and plugged in...sometimes. It had the 350 cube (5.7 liter) V8 and the GM 3 speed Turbo Hydramatic transmission.

It eventually rusted through at the floorboards. We gave the car body to a charity, and my Godson, who is a hot rodder, took the engine (got souped up went into a Pontiac Firebird), the transmission went into a pickup truck, the HEI ignition systm and rad went into a street rod.

It was big, had a robust build, body on heavy frame, relatively simple mechanically, had the Chevy small block V8, which is very well regarded.

A great car.
08-05-2018, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #1304
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I agree, I also think you'll get more service out of your big Mercury Marquis...body on frame, rear wheel drive, V8.....

It was big, had a robust build, body on heavy frame, relatively simple mechanically, had the Chevy small block V8, which is very well regarded.

A great car.
Up until 98 the panther platform was a good tow vehicle too, but the watts linkage they switched into the rear pushed the towing down about 2,000lbs for stability reasons. The caprices I had would tow 5,000.

I'm in my mid 30's, but was raised on frame-built V8 American sedans and have been through quite a few of them. 85' Dodge Diplomat(318), 83' Chevy Caprice(305), 98' Ford Crown Vic(4.6), 05' Mercury Marquis(4.6), 89' Plymouth Gran Fury (318), 95' Chevy Caprice wagon (350 LT1). A couple of them were sold off, but none of them had drive drain failures before 200k miles. The Chevys and Fords have all made it into 300k territory with the 83' caprice finally blowing a piston at 343k!
I'm only at 86k with the 05 Marquis right now and drive about 8k a year, so my 8 year old son will probably be stuck with it some day. Once the paint finishes delaminating I'll probably due a rattle can camo job for fun .
My cruiser that lives in the garage is a midnight blue 77' Marquis Brougham Sedan with a 400 and only 21k original miles and gets a glorious 9 mpg! I really need to get around to a photo shoot with that beast.
08-05-2018, 08:43 PM   #1305
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
Up until 98 the panther platform was a good tow vehicle too, but the watts linkage they switched into the rear pushed the towing down about 2,000lbs for stability reasons. The caprices I had would tow 5,000.

I'm in my mid 30's, but was raised on frame-built V8 American sedans and have been through quite a few of them. 85' Dodge Diplomat(318), 83' Chevy Caprice(305), 98' Ford Crown Vic(4.6), 05' Mercury Marquis(4.6), 89' Plymouth Gran Fury (318), 95' Chevy Caprice wagon (350 LT1). A couple of them were sold off, but none of them had drive drain failures before 200k miles. The Chevys and Fords have all made it into 300k territory with the 83' caprice finally blowing a piston at 343k!
I'm only at 86k with the 05 Marquis right now and drive about 8k a year, so my 8 year old son will probably be stuck with it some day. Once the paint finishes delaminating I'll probably due a rattle can camo job for fun .
My cruiser that lives in the garage is a midnight blue 77' Marquis Brougham Sedan with a 400 and only 21k original miles and gets a glorious 9 mpg! I really need to get around to a photo shoot with that beast.
You would of loved my FIL's '66 Meteor (Canadian market, full size Mercury) 2 door hardtop, fastback. He had the 428 FE V8 rated at 345 hp, C6 transmission...it would move for a 2 ton + vehicle. He traded it in for a '71 Mercury Marquis 4 door with the 429 cube...385 series V8.

My parents in '69 bought a new '69 Impala 4 door HT, with the 396 cube V8 (Rat motor), the Turbo Hydramatic 400 transmission and the 12 bolt rear axle. They used it for towing their RV trailers.

I have an uncle who had his own manufacturer's Agent business and he used to travel across Western Canada. In the 1960's he bought new Ford Galaxies with the 390FE V8, on a yearly basis, as racked up a lot of miles. Another uncle bought new Rambler Ambassadors, yearly, back then, with either the 343 , 390, or 401 cube 4 barrel V8's and another uncle drove around in a VW Karmann Ghia coupe...I don't know what was wrong with him.

Sounds like you have had a great collection of American rear wheel drive V8 full sizers. I wish they still made the last RWD V8, Caprice or Ford Crown Vic. It would be my choice of ride.

My vehicle of choice would be a '95/'96 Caprice wagon with the 350 LT1 V8 engine...like the one you had. Room , power, utility and if it had the 9C1 chevy police package...ie; HD suspension, reinforced frame, HD cooling...well..you couldn't get any better a vehicle.

I would like to be able to buy a new wagon, equipped this way, but with the addition of the new Ford/GM, jointly developed 10 speed auto transmission for rear wheel drive and maybe a 6.2 liter LS Chevy V8..

My personal theory as to why full sized American pickup trucks are so popular in North America is that they are the last domestic, RWD, V8 vehicles available to the consumer. My observation is that once Detroit started to make Front Wheel Drive 4/6 cylinder cars in the '70's ...the RWD V8 sedan became an endangered species. For many guys out there...the only game in town over the next 20-30 years + became the RWD, full sized pickup truck. So consumers bought the trucks as that was what was available.