Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What size tires are on your Fozzy? I noticed that the newer ones have larger diameter wheels (17 or 18 in) which make for thinner sidewalls and a harder, bumpier ride especially on rough surfaces. My daughter's 2011 has 16 inch wheels and I had the most comfortable long trip driving it from Billings to San Antonio.

08-03-2015, 05:51 PM   #122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
What size tires are on your Fozzy? I noticed that the newer ones have larger diameter wheels (17 or 18 in) which make for thinner sidewalls and a harder, bumpier ride especially on rough surfaces. My daughter's 2011 has 16 inch wheels and I had the most comfortable long trip driving it from Billings to San Antonio.
I believe that my '14 Forester has 17" wheels (some trims have 18"), and the '01 had 16". That was another point of annoyance. Second winter of owning the '01 I purchased a second set of wheels to simplify changeover from "all season" to real snow tires. One winter before trading in I had replaced the original snows with a set Michelin X-Ice tires. SO those had only one winter's use, and together with the wheels became useless. Still trying to find a buyer so those wheels & tires won't be a complete loss. BTW: I checked, by researching, to see if 16" wheels could be used on 2014 Forester. Seems the brakes are larger, and although the 16" rims fit, the clearance is extremely small, too close to trust.
08-03-2015, 06:18 PM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I believe that my '14 Forester has 17" wheels (some trims have 18"), and the '01 had 16". That was another point of annoyance. Second winter of owning the '01 I purchased a second set of wheels to simplify changeover from "all season" to real snow tires. One winter before trading in I had replaced the original snows with a set Michelin X-Ice tires. SO those had only one winter's use, and together with the wheels became useless. Still trying to find a buyer so those wheels & tires won't be a complete loss. BTW: I checked, by researching, to see if 16" wheels could be used on 2014 Forester. Seems the brakes are larger, and although the 16" rims fit, the clearance is extremely small, too close to trust.
I checked Tire Rack's website and they list 16 inch wheels for the 2014 Fozzy including some steel wheels. I have these for winter tires on my Saabaru Aero with the big brakes. You might call them and check. Just my $0.02.
08-03-2015, 06:25 PM   #124
Veteran Member

Mazda 3 is the Honda Civic of a couple decades ago.

Honda lost its way. Mazda picked up the trail.

08-03-2015, 06:42 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I had foolishly assumed the new Forester would ride at least as well as the original. No such luck. It's a shame that high-end Citroens are no longer competitive in the American market. In terms of a comfortable ride, they shame all other manufacturers - Mercedes, Rolls, Bently, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Maserati - every one of them.

Some college friends and I went to look at the original Mustang when it very first arrived in a nearby show room. We were interested to see what all the advertising hype was about. As we looked over the car, we were laughing ourselves silly: look under the hood, it was identical to John's Falcon; the dashboard was identical to John's Falcon, the front seating was identical to John's Falcon, the windshield was Falcon; the wheels were Falcon; etc. etc.. As best we could tell, it was a Falcon with a longer hood and consequently an impossibly shrunken, cramped rear seat. We could not believe that American car buyers would be duped by such a transparent "it's all in the looks" gimmick - - but they were. However, In fairness, the Mustang evolved into something different and more exciting, for those who buy a car for excitement or to impress others or themselves.
I'm not sure if I would have gotten a Mustang if I could have, back then (wasn't alive), but looks can matter. Though I am more attracted to the Challenger and Charger.

Citroen pretty much stopped making those large comfortable cars. The C5 is only in Exclusive trim (the most expensive) equipped with Hydractive. The lesser ones have a conventional setup. The C6 was cancelled. The DS5 feels luxurious inside and looks great, the size is there too, but it is based on a compact hatch and compact MPV, and rides on a conventional suspension setup, that at least prior to the facelift was stiff! After lots of complaints it seems like they changed it. An uncomfortable big Citroen is like a truck that can't carry stuff at the back. It misses the point.

From what I read recently when Citroen said they are going to phase out Hydractive to cut cost, they still have to continue to make it for Rolls Royce. I thought since BMW took over RR isn't using it anymore. Maybe the journalist imagined things, maybe BMW went back to Citroen. In any case Citroen continued to babble about how they are continuing to make comfortable cars, and how you don't need Hyperactive anymore to make a comfortable riding car. That may be true, but to make one that also goes around corners?! The Xantia Activa wasn't just comfortable, it could outhandle a Lotus!
08-03-2015, 06:52 PM   #126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Oops, yeah make that a Delta 88. Not quite the right tool or the job!
We can laugh about SUV's in cities, and Delta 88's, but my father drove one of these:

Two doors. Red and White (my school colors ). IIRC it was 455 cu. in. but 'only' 250 net hp with emissions gear attached.

Gaahhh!

Last edited by monochrome; 08-03-2015 at 06:59 PM.
08-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Two cars

two Chrysler POS's (Duster and Aspen station wagon) purchased from my father/brother-inlaw the Duster was known as the "Green t*rd" and the Station wagon was the "brown t*rd" Sold both of them to really stupid people - less than $100 for both.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
Hey, if you're ever looking for someone 'stupid' enough to buy a 100 dollar Duster again, give me a ring. I rather liked the view.

(Pardon the cheesy effects, I'd been rather hastily covering up a poor scan of a machine print. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 08-04-2015 at 07:52 AM.
08-04-2015, 12:01 PM   #128
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
. . . . . . . . . . . . (Also dat's a pretty Bmer, Sailor. )
Hey, RML, thanks much.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Nice Beemer, nice Porsche. . . . . . . . . . .
I appreciate the kind words. I enjoy them both, very much.

Jer
08-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #129
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We can laugh about SUV's in cities, and Delta 88's, but my father drove one of these:

Two doors. Red and White (my school colors ). IIRC it was 455 cu. in. but 'only' 250 net hp with emissions gear attached.

Gaahhh!
My dad had a dark blue metallic one with a white vinyl roof. I think that it had a blue plush interior. He ordered it from the factory and it was propably the same model year as the one in your pic. Pretty sweet once he got the carb jets sorted.
08-13-2015, 09:40 PM   #130
Pentaxian

I have Honda Ridgeline from day one. Now almost 110000 No any problem .Working house as my Pentax .
Just one big expense after 100000 as main engine services Travel all time forest mountains desert very much off the road
Weather proof as my camera��
Just add new tires from Bridgestone very smooth quite save mileage
I hope new Ridgeline coming soon
08-14-2015, 06:55 AM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
I have Honda Ridgeline from day one. Now almost 110000 No any problem .Working house as my Pentax .
Just one big expense after 100000 as main engine services Travel all time forest mountains desert very much off the road
Weather proof as my camera��
Just add new tires from Bridgestone very smooth quite save mileage
What kind of gas mileage do you get? I've always thought those would be great for back country roads.
08-14-2015, 02:29 PM   #132
Pentaxian

Well in town generally 18-19
HWY almost 22-25
Low grade gas 86
Today after drive with new tires almost week I noted
Even plus 1-2 m more per gallon
Plus extra smooth and quite drive
I loved R low maintenance just oil and gas
Plus air conditioner coverage back seat separately so my dog happy
As you know R has huge trunk inside bed safe a lot space

Last edited by dstar; 08-14-2015 at 02:35 PM.
08-14-2015, 06:37 PM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info.
08-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #134
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
Given there's a new Pilot

I expect a new Ridgeline.
08-14-2015, 09:02 PM   #135
Veteran Member

Got to put in a plug for my wife's 2002 Buick Park Ave.

Other than normal brakes, tires, oil change (Mobil 1) etc not a lick of trouble out of it in 220,000 miles.
The perfect car for someone who doesn't give a damn about cars and the "driving experience" - just get in it and go where you want to go.
It's a living room on wheels. Tomb like silence, superb seats, air and heater quiet and effective, and mileage not all that bad considering it's size.
Superb freeway cruiser - put it in cruise control at 80 mph, put in a music CD (which you can actually hear well because it's so damn quiet) and just drive it until the next gas stop.
Perfect for someone for whom cars hold no special mystique. Classic old school American iron.

I drive a 2011 Nissan Versa. It's OK nothing special it gets the job done so far. Did have to get the Air conditioner core replaced under warranty at about 30000 miles.

Last edited by wildman; 08-14-2015 at 09:21 PM.