Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2016, 11:11 PM   #481
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iceboss Quote
HI, new to the forum . However it is funny how on each and every manish forum you can find a very active thread about cars. I have old Merc 200CE, I love the feeling inside. The biggest mistake I did over 10 years ago was to buy a small engine and manual transmission. Next car will have 5.0 V8 at least .

My car has a small engine and manual transmission.

And it can run right up there with the guys in the Fox body 5.0 cars. Actually beat them a time or two also. Beat the Bimmer in this photo too.

02-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #482
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The Honda has plain, flat sides.

The Country Squire had woodgrain panels.

This Merc has real wood.

Nice old woodie '40's Merc wagon. My dad, during WW2 had a '41 Mercury convertible. I wasn't around at that time, but I did see pictures.
02-08-2016, 12:03 PM   #483
Pentaxian

I currently drive:

1995 Mazda Miata

What I like:

More fun than I can shake a stick it in my 80 mile round trip commute. It has a 5-speed manual with a Torsen limited slip differential in the rear end. No electric nannies! Mechanical simplicity at it's finest. Very cheap to run & really easy to work on. The smell of burning oil, power steering fluid, & coolant makes it smell like a man's car!

What I don't like:

The engine compartment & tranny compartments are kind of cramped. There are times when trying to work in those cramped areas, I start getting thoughts of lighting the thing on fire. Lots of rattles & squeaks. Sometimes the smell of burning oil, power steering fluid, & coolant can be overwhelming. Hahaha! During first rain, it can be quite hairy to drive. The slick roads & short wheelbase require lots of throttle finnese, especially when turning.

I only use the Miata as my commuter car & I do have the option of taking some very twisty back roads to or from work. This is the main reason why I love the car. I drive my wife's ultra boring 2006 Ford Escape when we need to go somewhere together 'cause the Miata is way too intense for her. Haha! I plan on getting a 2016 Ford Fiesta ST. I will either sell the Miata or restore it when I do, but it basically depends on if I'll have time & space to do a restoration. I do love the car a lot, but at age 40, getting under the car is getting kind of old & tiring for me, since I don't have a lift. If I had a lift, I would probably can the idea of getting that Fiesta ST.
02-08-2016, 05:05 PM   #484
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Until late 2014 I drove a Jaguar XF 3.0. Lovely car, but expensive to run. When I left my old life in London behind and returned to my home town here in the North East of England for a quieter lifestyle, I decided I needed to get something much more practical and economical. The winters aren't desperately bad here, but often a bit worse than in the south, and when snow does fall, the rural areas can get hit quite badly (I'm right on the very edge of the rural parts). So, I decided I wanted something with 4WD. In December 2014 I bought a Dacia Duster (Dacia is part of the Renault group) - it's a Romanian-built 4WD cross-over vehicle with good off-road / winter capability, great economy (I get around 43mpg from the diesel engine), has plenty of torque, and carries four-to-five people easily, with a good load space in the rear. It's no Jaguar, that's for sure, but it cost me about half what I paid for the XF . It drives well, it's comfortable, cheap to run, and I upgraded to a seven year warranty quite cheaply - so, for as long as I'm likely to own it, I'm covered for the big stuff. I really like it

Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-08-2016 at 05:14 PM.
02-08-2016, 06:27 PM   #485
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Low mileage 2003 Mazda Protege, bought used 2½ years ago. It's a great runner.
Simple, basic transportation, with no gadgets and geegaws to break leaving me stranded.
It's perfect for my short daily commute yet comfortable enough for a road trip for three.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 02-16-2016 at 04:08 AM.
02-09-2016, 01:54 AM   #486
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I currently drive:

1995 Mazda Miata

What I like:

More fun than I can shake a stick it in my 80 mile round trip commute. It has a 5-speed manual with a Torsen limited slip differential in the rear end. No electric nannies! Mechanical simplicity at it's finest. Very cheap to run & really easy to work on. The smell of burning oil, power steering fluid, & coolant makes it smell like a man's car!

What I don't like:

The engine compartment & tranny compartments are kind of cramped. There are times when trying to work in those cramped areas, I start getting thoughts of lighting the thing on fire. Lots of rattles & squeaks. Sometimes the smell of burning oil, power steering fluid, & coolant can be overwhelming. Hahaha! During first rain, it can be quite hairy to drive. The slick roads & short wheelbase require lots of throttle finnese, especially when turning.

I only use the Miata as my commuter car & I do have the option of taking some very twisty back roads to or from work. This is the main reason why I love the car. I drive my wife's ultra boring 2006 Ford Escape when we need to go somewhere together 'cause the Miata is way too intense for her. Haha! I plan on getting a 2016 Ford Fiesta ST. I will either sell the Miata or restore it when I do, but it basically depends on if I'll have time & space to do a restoration. I do love the car a lot, but at age 40, getting under the car is getting kind of old & tiring for me, since I don't have a lift. If I had a lift, I would probably can the idea of getting that Fiesta ST.
You could also get a new Miata?
02-09-2016, 03:09 AM   #487
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have enjoyed this thread but am also puzzled by it. I would have never though of shooting an image of any of the cars I've ever had. I have been driving company cars for some 20 years and get to choose a new one every 3 or so. As long as it has 4 wheels and an engine, is reasonably comfortable for myself, my wife and the dogs, I'm good. The little nameplate on the front or back is usually ignored and so is the top speed and other technical characteristics as I usually drive in rush-hour traffic (lucky if I hit 80 km/h really ;-)).

Due to the tax regulations in the Netherlands and the way they consider a company car to be a "benefit in kind", a portion of the value of the car is added to my pre-tax income so I try and avoid costly extras which add to the value of the car such as rearview cameras, auto-parking, builtin GPS nvigation and the likes.

Up until last year I drove an Opel Astra Station which I liked. Currently it's a Volvo V40 which I like as well but it came with too many costly gadgets (I was forced to accept a pool car) and the wife has been driving Renault for many years - previously a Megane Station and currently a Clio.

I suppose I treat my cars like I treat my cameras: a function-based evaluation. If it does the trick, it's a good car/camera. I'm a heck of a lot more critical about my lenses though!

02-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #488
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
I have enjoyed this thread but am also puzzled by it. I would have never though of shooting an image of any of the cars I've ever had. I have been driving company cars for some 20 years and get to choose a new one every 3 or so. As long as it has 4 wheels and an engine, is reasonably comfortable for myself, my wife and the dogs, I'm good. The little nameplate on the front or back is usually ignored and so is the top speed and other technical characteristics as I usually drive in rush-hour traffic (lucky if I hit 80 km/h really ;-)).

Due to the tax regulations in the Netherlands and the way they consider a company car to be a "benefit in kind", a portion of the value of the car is added to my pre-tax income so I try and avoid costly extras which add to the value of the car such as rearview cameras, auto-parking, builtin GPS nvigation and the likes.

Up until last year I drove an Opel Astra Station which I liked. Currently it's a Volvo V40 which I like as well but it came with too many costly gadgets (I was forced to accept a pool car) and the wife has been driving Renault for many years - previously a Megane Station and currently a Clio.

I suppose I treat my cars like I treat my cameras: a function-based evaluation. If it does the trick, it's a good car/camera. I'm a heck of a lot more critical about my lenses though!
I can't think of a single device, available to the common person, that has as storied past as the automobile. When one considers the advances made the life span of horseless carriages, and takes into account the work performed to make them, it is amazing to some folks who are in tune with the subject. Much like some people are into fine wines, paintings, Stradivarius instruments, Swiss time pieces, architecture or a host of other man made items, many of us do not take for granted the design, engineering and execution of automobiles. If you reflect back on the amount of time it took to design and engineer every one of the thousands of components it took to make a device that can easily transport you from point A to point B in mere minutes (what used to take hours via horse), in any kind of weather, while keeping you safe, comfortable and even entertained - and do so for year after year with minor maintenance, it may dawn on you why some of us find them so fascinating. Then on the other hand, it may be like trying to tell a blind person what the color red looks like.
02-09-2016, 07:30 AM   #489
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I can't think of a single device, available to the common person, that has as storied past as the automobile. When one considers the advances made the life span of horseless carriages, and takes into account the work performed to make them, it is amazing to some folks who are in tune with the subject. Much like some people are into fine wines, paintings, Stradivarius instruments, Swiss time pieces, architecture or a host of other man made items, many of us do not take for granted the design, engineering and execution of automobiles. If you reflect back on the amount of time it took to design and engineer every one of the thousands of components it took to make a device that can easily transport you from point A to point B in mere minutes (what used to take hours via horse), in any kind of weather, while keeping you safe, comfortable and even entertained - and do so for year after year with minor maintenance, it may dawn on you why some of us find them so fascinating. Then on the other hand, it may be like trying to tell a blind person what the color red looks like.
Oh Tom, don't get me wrong! I admire the technology in cars as well as the technology that goes into manufacturing them. The cars themselves are a different matter, certainly the type of cars I (and many with me) seem to be doomed to own/use, the type of mass-produced run-of-the-mill consumption product that doesn't have much to differentiate it from any others in its class. I admit, I am absolutely blind when it comes to the type of cars filling up 99.99% of our highways and one red car seems entirely equal to any other - they are all uniformly grey.

Formula 1, Tesla, microcars, flying cars, sportscars, Bentley's & RollsRoyce's: sure! My cars: never! But then again, I don't really need anything beyond a simple machine which can take me from A to B. Same really with cameras, Pentax 645, Hasselblad, Digital backs, Arca-Swiss: awesome! Me? I need a camera to shoot pictures and my K-5 IIs fits that bill perfectly (but so would any competitive model made by Sony, Nikon, Canon or any other brand.

I spent a number of years working for a huge US-based multinational specializing in automotive components, cutting edge development and fascinating to talk to the engineers/developers about their ideas and new products. I did eventually realize though that their products ended up in cars of many makes and models which meant those cars really were extremely similar under the skin. I assume this to be the case with consumer-type cameras as well, with Tier2 manufacturer's components being shared across so many camera-brands so that the resulting products are really extremely similar under the skin.

Having said that, my current Volvo V40 does an admirable job of bringing me from A to B and back again, same as my K-5 IIs which delivers extremely decent images. Call me a cynic if you will but both have a gazillion equivalent options and therefore neither are unique or worthy of misplaced pride...
02-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #490
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
You could also get a new Miata?
The ND is too expensive for me. Yes. I know there are engineering costs & all kinds of other things involved & I know that the new Miata is very awesome & fully capable, but I happen to be one of those guys that compares apples to oranges & cross shop many items before arriving to a final purchase.

You see, even though the new Miata is basically in a league of it's own, for the $28,600 Club price tag ('cause I have to get it with a mechanical slip) I can get the following for about the same price or less:

2016 Subaru WRX (6-speed maunal - symmetrical AWD awesomness)
2016 Ford Focus ST (6-speed manual - pocket rocket on steroids)
2016 Ford Fiesta ST (6-speed manual - pocked rocket sans steroids)
2016 Honda Accord Sport (6-speed manual - makes me settle down some more, but still has some punch)
2016 MAZDA6 Touring (6-speed manual - zoom zoom fun)
2016 Volkswagen Golf GTI 2.0T 4-Door (6-speed manual - fast & fun)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4x4 (6-speed manual - opens up off road adventures for me)
2016 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk (auto only - opens up off road adventures for me while saving gas)

None of those have the agility or lightweight mechanics of the 2016 ND, but when you look at what you can buy for $28,600, the world opens up to a bunch of other possibilities. Heck, I'm probably the most anti-automatic person on the planet, but even that Trailhawk version of the new Jeep Renegade looks kind of tempting. You see my problem? Hahahaha!

But yeah. The closest thing to a Miata is the new Ford Fiesta ST. I know that the FWD Fiesta doesn't have the same dynamics as a RWD Miata, but it is very fun in its own way. It's fairly cheap too. I can also lug some stuff with me. That's something I have a hard time with in the Miata. My wife will finally hop into this one as well.
02-10-2016, 12:00 AM   #491
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
The ND is too expensive for me. Yes. I know there are engineering costs & all kinds of other things involved & I know that the new Miata is very awesome & fully capable, but I happen to be one of those guys that compares apples to oranges & cross shop many items before arriving to a final purchase.

You see, even though the new Miata is basically in a league of it's own, for the $28,600 Club price tag ('cause I have to get it with a mechanical slip) I can get the following for about the same price or less:

2016 Subaru WRX (6-speed maunal - symmetrical AWD awesomness)
2016 Ford Focus ST (6-speed manual - pocket rocket on steroids)
2016 Ford Fiesta ST (6-speed manual - pocked rocket sans steroids)
2016 Honda Accord Sport (6-speed manual - makes me settle down some more, but still has some punch)
2016 MAZDA6 Touring (6-speed manual - zoom zoom fun)
2016 Volkswagen Golf GTI 2.0T 4-Door (6-speed manual - fast & fun)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4x4 (6-speed manual - opens up off road adventures for me)
2016 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk (auto only - opens up off road adventures for me while saving gas)

None of those have the agility or lightweight mechanics of the 2016 ND, but when you look at what you can buy for $28,600, the world opens up to a bunch of other possibilities. Heck, I'm probably the most anti-automatic person on the planet, but even that Trailhawk version of the new Jeep Renegade looks kind of tempting. You see my problem? Hahahaha!

But yeah. The closest thing to a Miata is the new Ford Fiesta ST. I know that the FWD Fiesta doesn't have the same dynamics as a RWD Miata, but it is very fun in its own way. It's fairly cheap too. I can also lug some stuff with me. That's something I have a hard time with in the Miata. My wife will finally hop into this one as well.
Hm. How about the Miata's more hardcore competitors? Ariel Atom? Caterham? Maybe a slightly used Caterham could be had for a decent price. Your wife would absolutely hate it though... but sitting on the rear axle in a rear wheel drive car without any creature comforts and almost exposed front wheels... a friend rented one to drive through Scotland. He enjoyed it a lot.
02-10-2016, 02:15 AM - 2 Likes   #492
Forum Member

This is my new to me 2007 BF MK2 Ford Falcon XR8 ute that i bought 2 weeks ago.

After six months of searching i finally found this nice example. Most importantly its got a 5.4L V8. Absolutely immaculate body without a single dent on it, 82,000km, cat back twin 2.5" exhaust. I couldn't help myself and installed a cold air intake less than a week after purchasing it, probably going to look at getting a flash tune in not too distant future (gains up to 30kw can be had with its current modifications) and installed a nice set of Focal PS165 splits this weekend just been.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-N915G  Photo 
02-10-2016, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #493
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only in Oz

QuoteOriginally posted by silver_dragon Quote

The Ranchero lives! And if Holden makes something similar the El Camino lives!

Chris
02-10-2016, 03:05 AM   #494
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums

After six months of searching i finally found this nice example. Most importantly its got a 5.4L V8. Absolutely immaculate body without a single dent on it, 82,000km, cat back twin 2.5" exhaust. I couldn't help myself and installed a cold air intake less than a week after purchasing it, probably going to look at getting a flash tune in not too distant future (gains up to 30kw can be had with its current modifications) and installed a nice set of Focal PS165 splits this weekend just been.

Nice looking Ute. We don't get such great looking rides here in the States.

You guys have all the luck!
02-10-2016, 03:14 AM   #495
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a beauty. Nice block too - that should have some grunt!