Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2016, 06:12 PM   #556
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
That's the problem with modern cars - no space for hands! With my old F100, I could sit on the fender with my feet on the inner fender arch to replace the spark plugs.
With the radiator out in my `72 AMX , I stood in the engine compartment and worked on it with room to spare.

04-13-2016, 06:48 PM   #557
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They fell off the back of a truck?
I remember buying rebuilt starters for $25 from Studnick's on Merrick Road in the 1970's.
Just keep swapping them out until you get one that works!

I currently don't have a driveway, garage or parking lot. I park my car on my New York City street.
Minor repairs of your own personal car are not illegal, but neither are they particularly convenient.
Add to that alternate side of the street parking and your disabled vehicle might get ticketed/towed.

I come from a long line of do-it-yourselfers (spelled "P-O-O-R") and can do many things.
But I don't mind paying reasonable rates to good service people (think "Eric Hendrickson").
After all I am one myself...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-14-2016 at 02:28 AM.
04-13-2016, 08:21 PM   #558
Veteran Member

I had a full service climate controlled garage until the divorce. I regret trading in my Mini Cooper. I I sold all my tools and 1987 crx si that I bought new after coming back from the Army.

I've decided to get a fully fully loaded mini S coming up.

Right now I drive a POS Mazda 3 hatch and I hate it. I do t even wash it.
04-13-2016, 08:30 PM   #559
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Not a snap when you can`t fit your hands in there. Had to use a parts picker, aluminum straight edge, stainless steel welding wire and something else to get it on the pulleys correctly. About 2 1/2 hours and I did not get mad

Like I said, you have to know the 'trick'.

Easy Squeezy

No Pain

No Stain

04-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #560
Veteran Member

My car has a faulty head gasket now... the question is fix it or get a new (second hand) car? My car has 150000 km and is 14 years old, so even if I fix it, I know there'll be more issues coming up. The exhaust system needs to be renewed sooner or later, and who knows if the faulty head gasket has led to more issues that will only become visible once the engine is taken apart... or perhaps not even then. If I fix it, I'd be getting a new car anyway, perhaps next year. This car would then be used as a second car, maybe 3-4 months a year, and not that much to be honest. On the other hand I really enjoy that car. The manual gearbox is lovely, the steering is near perfect, the ride is comfortable.

Getting a new car now would mean having to get it really soon. Like this weekend, at the very latest during next week (which is an issue since I'll also have to work). I've found one roughly 500 km from here that I'm interested in, a 2 year old Golf with pretty much all the kit I'd want. 1.4 liter petrol with 150 hp (not my favorite choice, I'd rather have the diesel). Less than 20000 km, which is really low. I guess the owner simply doesn't drive as much as expected, and thus wants to get rid of it. It comes with adaptive cruise control that keeps distance to the car ahead, lane assist that keeps the car on the lane, system that alerts the driver if he falls asleep, road sign recognition system to display the sign on the dashboard, sat nav, heated everything (seats, steering wheel, mirrors, rear window and front windscreen), adaptive dampeners, self parking feature, ... basically if the option existed, the owner clicked it.

I always thought the Golf was too boring, but I do think the new one looks good, and being comfort oriented (especially with the adaptive suspension) it should suit my needs (though that 1 series is a sweet car, and lots of fun). The Golf is also practical, without being excessively large on the outside. Just not sure I want to spontaneously buy a new car, and travel 500 km for it. Who knows if, if I wait, I'll find something I like even better for less (maybe with a dented roof from a hail storm? Those sell for significantly less, and I couldn't care less if the roof has a few dents!).
04-14-2016, 05:12 PM   #561
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The manual gearbox is lovely, the steering is near perfect, the ride is comfortable.
That weighs heavy on re-build!
04-14-2016, 06:27 PM   #562
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The touchscreens and dashboard light shows I've seen in newer cars really turn me off.
I find them distracting and not at all functional or ergonomic.

In recent model years are there any makes that are more subdued in this respect?
In cars as in cameras I prefer classic, simple controls.

Chris

04-14-2016, 07:01 PM   #563
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My 2012 Honda Accord has a traditional analog interface for the driving controls, speedo, tach, etc. The audio system uses a 3"x5" white on black display that washes out in the sun and is invisible when wearing polarized sunglasses. The analog radio and climate controls are poorly positioned and shaped. The tap-turn control knob for the Menu system is not intuitive. You have to pull over to use it. This is a common complaint about Hondas.

It seems analog dashboards are rapidly disappearing. My wife's new Mini Hardtop has an LCD 'dash'. There's an analog needle for the speedo and tach, but the markings are orange lights (there's a choice of colors) on black, not paint. It does look like a dashboard. It has numerous message blocks in LCD (not backlights) and many tones and beeps (we never know what the car is telling us to do with the sounds, but we can read the message). The visual indicators are inoffensive and not overly busy. The audio / info center is also colored LED's. You can elect flashing animation and changing colors or turn that off. It is reminiscent of the worst aspects of an EVF or the change from VU meters to lighted bars in audio amplifiers 30 years ado. .

The actual controls are analog knobs (3) and buttons (6). They control a menu system displayed in the center panel similar to a digital camera and there are few enough of them to be intuitive. The panel is easily readable, but the Menu layers go pretty deep and it is quite easy to get lost.

Most of the normal controls for lights and operations are On/Off lighted toggle switches or a couple dials. The modern stuff is for modern stuff like music on a thumb drive stuck in a USB port in the dash, or Bluetooth pairing with devices.

There is a key but there are no locks - just an RFID proximity Fob device that unlocks the (auto-locking) doors and turns on the ignition (we hate this because when the battery in the fob dies you literally cannot get in the car. Again, there is a key in the fob but there aren't any locks!!. What were those BMW engineers thinking?). Push a toggle switch to Start.

There are no touchscreen controls.

On balance we like the interface, except the 'Comfort Access System'.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-14-2016 at 07:53 PM.
04-15-2016, 04:29 AM   #564
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
That weighs heavy on re-build!
Yeah, but for the price I can buy another of these cars, better equipped and more powerful. Resale value is not there, and there are more things wrong with it. I can't open the boot. The driver side door won't stay in position. The fuel gauge stopped working long time ago. The exhaust system needs to be redone soonish. The cooler is leaking a bit.

Basically rebuilding the engine would be the minimum to get it working... For limited time I suppose.

On the other hand the Golf comes equipped with everything you could possibly ask for... and then some. Of course that means many things that can go wrong too...
04-15-2016, 08:09 AM   #565
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bought another truck this week. 1996 tahoe with the 5.7l V8. Considering the fact that the 'hoe has a curb weight of a 1/3 more than my other truck, this is gonna be a fun engine swap

Last edited by dngr; 04-15-2016 at 05:02 PM.
04-15-2016, 03:58 PM   #566
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, what happened to "Honda: We make it simple!"?

Chris
04-15-2016, 06:16 PM   #567
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
Bought another truck this week. 1996 tahoe with the 5.7l V8. Considering the fact that the 'hoe has a curb weight of a 1/3 more than my other truck, this is gonna be a fun engine swap
Think the '96 Tahoe had the 350 cube (5.7) vortec rated at 255 hp and 330 lbs. ft. of torque. Somewhere around there, going by memory, ...which ain't what it used to be.

Good engine with those Vortec heads. Many hot rodders and drag racers seek out these heads, for their good flow.

I have missed previous posts, but what engine are you going for as a an engine swap ?
04-15-2016, 06:53 PM   #568
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Think the '96 Tahoe had the 350 cube (5.7) vortec rated at 255 hp and 330 lbs. ft. of torque. Somewhere around there, going by memory, ...which ain't what it used to be.

Good engine with those Vortec heads. Many hot rodders and drag racers seek out these heads, for their good flow.

I have missed previous posts, but what engine are you going for as a an engine swap ?
Gonna use the 350 from the donor 'Hoe. My c1500 has the 4.3 vortec right now, which isn't a bad engine, but...well, the 350 will go in just so nicely
04-15-2016, 08:01 PM   #569
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

My 96 Suburban had that engine.
04-23-2016, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #570
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a 2001 Audi A4 Avant quattro. It used to be a 1.8T with 5-speed manual, but I swapped in a TDI and 6-speed manual over the last winter. Has a full custom sound system with 2 amps, electronic crossover and electronic EQ.

What I love about it:
- small and maneuverable in parking lots
- tons of cargo space
- fits me perfectly
- fantastic mileage (can you say 50+ mpg?)
- fast as a bat out of hell (220 hp, 450+ ft-lb of torque)
- unbelievable traction in every condition
- grips the road like glue
- it's bright blue and fun to look at
- everything on it still works after all these years (280,000 miles so far)
- custom audio system sounds fantastic
- when the sound system is off, the car is very quiet inside

What I don't like about it:
- could use more leg room in the back seat
- driver's seat leather is torn at the seams
- can't pull a trailer
- cupholders are a joke

Old photo (pre-TDI swap)

During the swap:

Currently swapping out a fender that was rusted out, then I'll take a more current photo.