Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
05-30-2016, 04:33 PM   #586
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Oh my... this thread really has taken on a life of its own, hasn't it, lol. Just got my fusion back from the body shop from hitting PA's fattest raccoon. Good as new after 2 days (hooray for cosmetic only damage). As is, aren't the new ford vehicles being made from some new supposedly rust proof frame material now (no clue how they are managing to claim this...)?

05-31-2016, 07:39 AM   #587
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like my Fozzy but now I have my first complaint. The driver's side sun visor doesn't stay in place either up against the windshield (windscreen) or in the stowed position.
05-31-2016, 08:23 AM   #588
Forum Member

I have a 2002 Lincoln Blackwood.

Only about 2400 made and mine is number 458 off the line. I Love the uniqueness of the truck and the rear is a glorified trunk. lol

Still in Excellent condition after all this time. Maybe someday I will get a Lincoln Mark LT but until then, I am happy with mine!

The one thing I don't like, that my Lincoln LS had is Automatic Wipers and Headlights! I sure do miss them. They would adjust to your speed and the rain but I guess you can't have everything.

Last edited by Heavenly Creation; 06-04-2016 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Forgot what I hate.
06-02-2016, 08:11 PM   #589
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Oh my... this thread really has taken on a life of its own, hasn't it, lol. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
It has indeed! In fact, during the long life of this thread I've replaced my 2013 Boxster S that I "reviewed" here earlier with a new 2015 911 Carrera Cabriolet that I bought during the first week of April. So . . . . . . . . . I might as well add my early assessment of the Carrera, although I'm still within the break-in period of 2000 miles and haven't explored the car above 4200 rpm.

The attractive features of the Carrera include marvelous chassis dynamics which surpass those of any car I've ever driven. Also, connectivity to the vehicle through the feel of the steering wheel, through the responsiveness of the pedals and through the seat of my pants is amazing - like the car plugs directly into my brain stem as soon as I plunk my posterior into the excellent seat. Porsche's dual-clutch transmission (PDK) is a marvel; in the adaptive "Sport Mode" the tranny seems to have the uncanny ability to read my mind, quickly changing its degree of aggression to match my driving style at any given moment. Also, I truly the love the absolute eccentricity of the 911 - yes the engine really does hang behind the rear axle of the car, and yes the Carrera - a focused sports car - does have itty-bitty, "occasional" rear seats. The car's superb build quality and the richness of its paint (which I haven't been able to capture photographically) are truly outstanding, and I can't forget that the sound of the flat 6 is intoxicating - even under 4200 rpm. Finally, catching this brand new, unsold 2015 (with '17 models already on the dealer's lot) at a price I still can't quite believe puts a smile on my face.

There's little I don't like about the car, but I'm not fond of the electronic parking brake control under the dash; I much prefer a traditional mechanical hand brake in the console. The electronic interface (nav, entertainment, vehicle monitoring, etc.) is OK but it could and should be better in a car that costs as much as this one. Also, the dealer - for some reason - ordered the car with the "Sports Design Package", a very pricey and - in my view - pointless option that includes a modified front facia and a ducktail spoiler that I don't dislike but could happily live without.

Here are a few shots of the new guy I was able to grab over the last couple days during short periods that it's not raining down here in SE Texas.

Jer

06-02-2016, 08:22 PM   #590
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice ride!
06-02-2016, 11:51 PM   #591
Veteran Member

Nice one. I don't think that changed front fascia and modified rear looks that good, the car is more elegant than that.

I see it quite often though with many cars. Like people order their VW with the R-line kit, which changes the front and rear a bit. It's expensive and pointless. Or their Audi with the S-line kit. They just want to pretend they drive a Golf R for example, or an Audi S4, S5, ... It's better to spend that money on equipment. Mine is loaded with tons of equipment that make it a really nice place to be in (the only thing I miss is adaptive dampeners and lane assist, and the latter I will hopefully soon be able to upgrade).

As for the electric parking brake... I thought I would hate it more, but I'm actually fine with it. Granted I can't have my tail slide out when there's snow, but apart from that... I can understand that on the 911 it seems more out of place though, being a much more driver focused car.

As for fun, driver focused cars... I'd love to have a go in a Caterham. Doesn't need to be one of the really fast ones, but the thought of having pretty much all the cars length ahead of you, sitting on the rear axle, all very lightweight and raw... I recently saw someone on the highway in one of those. The driver looked miserable, as he should.
06-03-2016, 10:57 PM   #592
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice, Jer. I didn't spot that spoiler in your earlier photos but, now that you mention it, it does stick out a bit. Does it do anything for aerodynamics or is it just for show? It looks a lot like the early/mid 1970s Carrera RS spoiler and I doubt very much that that one was just for show. Best ever Porsche spoiler for me was the late 1970s whale tail. I think that it survived well into the 1980s.

Talking of spoilers, the one on my 1989 Saab 900 Aero (aka SPG) was pretty cool.

Regards,
Richard.

06-04-2016, 07:18 AM   #593
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Nice ride!
Hey Steve - thanks much.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
. . . . . . I'd love to have a go in a Caterham. . . . . . . . . . . I recently saw someone on the highway in one of those. The driver looked miserable, as he should.
I'm astonished you've not been recruited for Caterham's marketing team!

Seriously, thanks for your comments.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Very nice, Jer. I didn't spot that spoiler in your earlier photos but, now that you mention it, it does stick out a bit. Does it do anything for aerodynamics or is it just for show? It looks a lot like the early/mid 1970s Carrera RS spoiler and I doubt very much that that one was just for show. Best ever Porsche spoiler for me was the late 1970s whale tail. I think that it survived well into the 1980s.

Talking of spoilers, the one on my 1989 Saab 900 Aero (aka SPG) was pretty cool.

Regards,
Richard.
Thanks, my friend.

Yeah, the spoiler is meant to evoke the ducktails on the RS models, and - this is Porsche - it's entirely functional. I would've preferred the standard set-up, but the car was the precise color I wanted and had all the options (and then some) on my list. But the real kicker was the price - I just couldn't pass up an opportunity to buy a brand-new Carrera Cab for the money I paid for this car.

I recall the 900 Aero was white??? Wasn't it Mr. Red's predecessor?

Jer
06-04-2016, 04:35 PM   #594
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Yeah, the spoiler is meant to evoke the ducktails on the RS models, and - this is Porsche - it's entirely functional. I would've preferred the standard set-up, but the car was the precise color I wanted and had all the options (and then some) on my list. But the real kicker was the price - I just couldn't pass up an opportunity to buy a brand-new Carrera Cab for the money I paid for this car.

I recall the 900 Aero was white??? Wasn't it Mr. Red's predecessor?

Jer
You remember correctly, Jer. I had both for a while and it was interesting to contrast the two very different drives. The 900 Aero was like a go-cart on steroids. Mr. Red is a grown-up car

Regards,
Richard.
06-06-2016, 03:23 PM - 2 Likes   #595
Pentaxian

84 Trans Am auto to manual

I live in the UK and I have owned an 84 Trans Am for 26 years I have never liked the original 4 speed auto box so I have converted it to 5 speed manual and fitted a 383 Chevy stroker engine,Dana 44 rear axle with Tracloc diff,Bilstein suspension and loads of othr mods. It's nearly finished now
just a few loose ends to tie up.

I have just got a set of 17 inch rims from Hawks Third Gen in the states so now I can run 275/40/17 tyres

The rest of the build is here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/116957934@N04/
06-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #596
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dang, that's gonna rumble on High (Main) Street!

Did you get the pedals to line up so you can heel and toe?

Last edited by wtlwdwgn; 06-06-2016 at 05:12 PM.
06-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #597
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really like my Fozzy but now I have my first complaint. The driver's side sun visor doesn't stay in place either up against the windshield (windscreen) or in the stowed position.
I think there are two Phillips tension screws right next to the edge of the sunscreen where the shaft enters it, near to the A-Pillar. They can loosen over time.
06-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #598
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately not in this case.
06-07-2016, 05:17 AM   #599
Pentaxian

Dang, that's gonna rumble on High (Main) Street!

Did you get the pedals to line up so you can heel and toe?
The pedal boxes used the same fixing but I had to cut a 50mm hole for the clutch rod to go through the firewall and also a larger hole for the gear lever, both were scary prospects.
06-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #600
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey Steve - thanks much.

Jer

I'm astonished you've not been recruited for Caterham's marketing team!

Seriously, thanks for your comments.

Jer
Sorry, your car reminded me of the Caterham To be honest, if I had the choice, and it had to be my main car... I'd take the 911 every day of the week. It's one you can probably live with as a daily driver, whereas the Caterham ought to be a third car or so... There's no denying how good the 911 is, and the more recent ones are really pretty again...

That Trans Am is sweet. Nice one!

My Xsara is slowly taking shape again... more things to replace than expected/hoped for, but thank god there are second hand spare parts...