Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2016, 02:57 PM   #601
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Sorry, your car reminded me of the Caterham To be honest, if I had the choice, and it had to be my main car... I'd take the 911 every day of the week. It's one you can probably live with as a daily driver, whereas the Caterham ought to be a third car or so... There's no denying how good the 911 is, and the more recent ones are really pretty again...
Absolutely no need to be sorry, since you said nothing that struck me as even remotely offensive. However, I got a big grin from your comment that the Caterham driver you spotted was "miserable as he should be."

Jer

06-19-2016, 04:49 PM   #602
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There it is, all squeaky clean. It didn't stay that way for long...

I like it more and more... it's a doddle to drive long distances. 500 km? Not exhausting at all.
Nice looking car! I was always a GM guy before, and I'm still a huge Pontiac fanatic to this day. But VAG car have grown more and more on me over the years, to the point where we only have VW/Audi cars in the driveway right now.

But if I could find a drivable '78 Trans Am with a Pontiac 400 and Borg-Warner Super-T10 manual trans at a reasonable price, it would come crash the party immediately

---------- Post added 06-19-16 at 07:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
I live in the UK and I have owned an 84 Trans Am for 26 years I have never liked the original 4 speed auto box so I have converted it to 5 speed manual and fitted a 383 Chevy stroker engine,Dana 44 rear axle with Tracloc diff,Bilstein suspension and loads of othr mods. It's nearly finished now
just a few loose ends to tie up.
I LOVE a good Trans Am!!! And that one is sexy as hell. Especially love the gold cross-lace wheels, that brings back memories... I spent a lot of time trying to find replicas of those wheels to put on my 2001 Audi A4, but I never found adequate ones at a reasonable price. Ended up settling for custom-made Porsche Fuchs reproductions instead:

Last edited by GoremanX; 06-24-2016 at 04:29 PM.
06-20-2016, 10:31 AM   #603
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Nice looking car! I was always a GM guy before, and I'm still a huge Pontiac fanatic to this day. But VAG car have grown more and more on me over the years, to the point where we only have VW/Audi cars in the driveway right now.

But if I could find a drivable '78 Trans Am with a Pontiac 400 and Borg-Warner Super-T10 manual trans at a reasonable price, it would come crash the party immediately

---------- Post added 06-19-16 at 07:53 PM ----------

I LOVE a good Trans Am!!! And that one is sexy as hell. Especially love the gold cross-lace wheels, that brings back memories... I spent a lot of time trying to find replicas of those wheels to put on my 2001 Audi A4, but I never found adequate ones at a reasonable price. Ended up settling for custom-made Porsche Fuchs reproductions instead:
Thanks! I wouldn't reject a nice Trans Am either (my wallet would though... fuel is expensive here!). VAG is doing some nice things, and one thing that I really appreciate about VAG is that their designs are usually pretty timeless, and can even improve over time. I didn't like the Golf IV at first, but over time it grew on me, and now I actually like the simple, clean lines. With many other cars, they wow you at first, but over time the design gets old, especially if you see lots of them on the road. And the cars themselves are well thought out, well designed, and make sense. They pay lots of attention to the smallest things, shame about the lack of reliability of some parts... I hope the way my car is configured I won't run into any issues though... revised, hopefully more reliable engine, and no DSG that can fail.

Which VW/Audi cars do you have? It's a shame the US doesn't get Seat and Skoda, those cars could get quite the following IMHO. Skoda offers a lot of space for the money, in competent, well made cars. Seat makes more passionate cars than VW, more fun to drive (it really surprised me, after all the current Leon is based on all the same parts as a Golf 7, and even though my Golf is better speced with adjustable steering wheel (sporty, normal, comfort) and the better multi link rear suspension (that Seat only had the regular steering wheel and torsion beam at the rear) the Seat was clearly more fun to drive). They appeal to younger audiences, with sporty design. And despite being well made and well equipped (with plenty of rather high end options to chose from, just like the Golf) the price is lower.

Your photo doesn't work.
06-24-2016, 04:44 PM   #604
Veteran Member

Which VW/Audi cars do you have? It's a shame the US doesn't get Seat and Skoda, those cars could get quite the following IMHO.
I've got my 2001 Audi A4 quattro wagon (now TDI/6-speed manual). It's a B5.5, not a B6 like European 2001 A4's.
I've also got a 2005 VW Passat TDI that I pulled the engine from for my car. It's sitting engine-less in my driveway now, not sure what I'll do with it. It's in excellent shape.
I bought a 1999 Audi A6 quattro wagon, which was intended as a beater car while I transplanted the TDI in my A4. It's still in my driveway, runs like a top. Paid a pittance for it. I keep it for the cargo space.
My wife has a 2012 Beetle. This is very much a North American car, not European at all. Built in Mexico, and has a 2.5L straight 5. It's missing a lot of the nice touches that European Beetles have. But it's a blast to drive, extremely economical, and has a REGULAR 6-speed automatic transmission (no DSG, thank jeebus)

There's a LOT of VAG cars that we don't get here that I really wish were available. They've more or less abandoned the whole wagon format here. The only wagon available from Audi is the A4 allroad, with NO powertrain options (2.0T/tiptronic). No A4 Avant, no A6 Avant, not even any A3 hatchback anymore. Not to mention no more TDI options whatsoever... there's a stop-sale on ALL of those, whether 4-cylinder or V6.

Even VW doesn't do much for wagons. No Variants of any kind, just a Golf sportwagen with no powertrain options.

We get no love from VAG over here

Your photo doesn't work.
Fixed!

06-20-2017, 09:06 PM - 2 Likes   #605
Forum Member

for quite some while I'm now a happy Volvo-driver...it all started with a 740 station wagon, later 850 and now there's a V70 and XC90 on our parking lot....the V70 used to be my former car, it took me for quite some kilometers through all of Skandinavia- always reliable, enough space to even sleep in it and veeery low fuel consumption- in Skandinavia I drove it at 4.2 litres on hundred kilometers, in fact so little you sometimes forgot to check the display and look for the next gas station- which led sometimes to the point I literally arrived on pretty much on last drop at some gas station in some "less civilized parts" in northern Skandinavia, where I could drive more than 2000kms with a single filling. Back in Germany where I drove the car bit more 'sporty' I usually had an average of around 5 litres, in my view still quite little given that on some trips I drove the car at an average of 160km/h. One thing I still like about these cars is that they can be the perfect, comfortably cruising car, and on occassion still be driven sporty enough (at least for my personal needs- 220km/h is more than enough )
when moving to the north I wanted a little more space under my car, as I like driving on some smaller and sometimes quite bad roads when looking out for places to shoot, and the four wheel drive also is quite helpfull- so i upgraded to the XC90...
Attached Images

06-21-2017, 06:05 AM   #606
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well right now it is a 2017 Subaru Outback for my wife. She has been driving Foresters for the last 17 years and is a bit upset that you can no longer get a manual transmission in the Outback. But the 2nd generation CVT transmission works pretty good and the car gets great gas mileage.

My vehicle is a 2016 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab that I got last November. I traded in my beloved Ford Edge for it. The Edge was the best long distance traveling vehicle I have ever owned. Luckily the Frontier is pretty comfortable too. I wanted a 4WD vehicle for driving out west and the Frontier was the best bang for the buck. In January it had no problems dealing with over a foot of lake effect snow along the east side of Lake Ontario.

All in all I am pleased with it. Two ares of concern. I had water in the rear differential so I modified the differential vent system from an axle mounted breather valve to a system that added a tube to it and moved the filter for it up into the area behind the right rear turn signal. If I am in water that deep I have bigger troubles. And the headlights seem to be more for other people to see you than to actually put light down the road. I am working on a solution to that.

I did look at a new Chevy Colorado and man what a beautiful truck. But the one on the lot was $38,000 and more of a show truck than a work truck. The color was a metallic red and it was so beautiful that I could never put anything into the bed of the truck. The Frontier was an end of model year sale at $26,500. This shot from last winter after clearing 18 inches of snow off of it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5c  Photo 
06-21-2017, 07:14 AM   #607
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Vehicles good and bad

I have three:

2008 Toyota Corolla--Good: excellent gas mileage, spacious enough for family of five to drive short to moderate distances, good neutral handling, no repairs at 150,000 miles; Bad: nothing found to date

2004 Ford Excursion--large enough to take a group of 11 people on a 200 mile trip to Niagara Falls, 4WD makes it impossible to stop in snowy conditions, plenty of extra room for luggage even when full of passengers; BAD: gas mileage, old-style steering means you sometimes have to chase it around the highway.

2005 Dodge Ram 3500 dually crewcab pickup truck--carries 4-6 people, full-size bed allows 5,000 pound load, excellent gas mileage for this size vehicle, handles/steers great about like an automobile, great passenger comfort, pretty stable even in winter driving conditions; crappy interior with cheap plastic dashboard disintegrating on me, poor factory support.

06-21-2017, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #608
Veteran Member

we went from a 3/4 ton chevy 4x4 to a Volvo xc70
goes everywhere so far...snow, mud, etc....especially since we replaced the Pirellis with continental dws 06 tires
gets up to 30mpg
pulls a small camper at 17mpg
and has the most difficult to read speedometer ever designed

our second car is a prius that has gotten as much as 64mpg
55mpg when my wife drives
Attached Images

Last edited by ccc_; 07-01-2017 at 03:59 PM.
06-21-2017, 10:25 AM - 2 Likes   #609
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My trusty Forester will undergo a heart transplant the first week in July. Turns out Subaru tried to make their cars more efficient and is now replacing the 2011 engines. It's all on Subaru's dime plus a new loaner car as well. I have to give Subaru kudos for staying ahead of this by first notifying me of the problem and then taking care of it. Apparently there isn't a stonewall at Subaru.
06-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #610
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
This shot from last winter after clearing 18 inches of snow off of it.

IMO if a pickups bed is covered it loses too much of its utility.
If not you've got to shovel snow out of it!

Chris
06-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #611
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
IMO if a pickups bed is covered it loses too much of its utility.
If not you've got to shovel snow out of it!

Chris
Well, the tonneau cover rolls up to the front of the bed when I need it to. When I don't need to carry large things in the bed the tonneau cover improves gas mileage and does provide a little security as it cannot be opened with the gate of the truck closed and locked. Plus no need to shovel snow out of the bed. I got the pickup truck because it was the least expensive way to get a new 4WD vehicle. I would have loved an AWD Ford Edge, but I could not justify spending and extra $15,000 for one.

Except for long trips out west once or twice a year it doesn't get driven all that much so gas mileage is not a huge concern. I think I have driven it 8 miles so far this week. 4WD is handy in the winter and when driving some of the less well traveled roads out west. And a few seasonal roads in western, NY. Plus it came with a towing package and can tow up to 6,100 pounds (2767 Kg).
06-21-2017, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #612
Pentaxian

I have a pedal cycle. I have never felt any need or desire to own or use a motor vehicle. I can get wherever I want by bus or train - and sleep on the journey safely.
06-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #613
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I have a pedal cycle. I have never felt any need or desire to own or use a motor vehicle. I can get wherever I want by bus or train - and sleep on the journey safely.
I'd love to be able to do that. I ride mine as much as possible (which is a lot) but limited public options and remote destinations require a vehicle for me regularly enough that I absolutely need one.
06-21-2017, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #614
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in October of 2002 we bought a new 2002 Chevy Suburban LT, at the time, our son was in primary school and we drove a lot of kids all over the place. did the same when he was in Scouts.

it currently has 187,000 miles plus, the exterior has the expected dings and dents and rust. The interior front seat is pretty well shot and the audio system has two working speakers on the passenger side only

I like the durability and the functionality and the room it gives us when necessary

in early November of 2014 we bought a new 2015 Audi A 5 coupe, it was on the container ship on its way to Houston. I got it on the 27th of December in Kansas City Mo,

It is the first two door vehicle I have ever own. It currently has less than 24,000 miles

120 HP, turbo charged 4 cylinders, all wheel drive

I like everything about it

guess which one shares the garage with my wife's vehicle

my wife has a Chevy Sonic of some vintage, she bought it used because it was blue I swear that is the reason she gave me and anyone who asks. I never drive it and try not to ride in it

here is a photo of the Audi, no photos of the Sonic or the Suburban
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-24-2017 at 08:47 AM.
06-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #615
Veteran Member

I have the following vehicles:

1997 Lexus LX450: this is a rebadged 80 series Toyota Landcruiser. It's biggest negative is awful fuel economy--12-14mpg. It's biggest positive is with three locking differentials (front, center, and rear) and pretty decent clearance, it will go places a Lexus should never go.

2007 KTM 950 Supermoto: this will bike eventually loose my license. Fast, fun, and extremely impractical (100 mile range, no carrying capacity.)
2006 KTM 950 Adventure: amazing on and off road. My rough terrain traveling bike.
2004 BMW 1150 GS Adventure: too heavy for most off road, it's still a great touring bike for long trips.

I also have a couple of non functioning bikes that I haven't had the heart to get rid of. I don't mind the aweful fuel economy on the Lexus because I only put about 4000 miles a year on it, since I commute a lot on the bikes.

The one consistent theme is that here in New Mexico, as well as many of the western states, there are huge amounts of public land that are only accessible via dirt roads at best, so most of my vehicles are optimized for some level of dirt road travel.