Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2017, 08:51 AM   #676
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Ain't going to happen so I suggest you pick up the car of your dreams now (but keep the Corolla-you'll need it while the Porsche is in the shop) . Or is automotive monogamy strictly enforced in Medina?

But seriously, beware of technology--they slather it on the new cars like icing on a wedding cake only with less thought. The clock in my new Forester is still on daylight saving time because the procedure for resetting it is so inanely complicated I can't be bothered: a dealer in NC had to put up an instructional video on that topic in self-defense.
I'm with you on this. We own and drive a 2002 Toyota Tundra SR5. It has air conditioning, electric windows and a back seat big enough for great grandchildren. It does not have a TV screen in the middle of the dash that you have to look at to change some things while driving. It just went through 285,000 Km (177,000 mi). It is, barring a T-bone, our last vehicle. We have a notification from our service manager that the front end will need some work next year for a total of C$1,700 or so, axles are leaking a bit of grease and the sway bar bushings are worn. The only two times the truck wouldn't start for us were the two times I didn't close the driver's door all the way. I can't blame Toyota for my own stupidity. A new truck capable of towing our little 5th wheel would cost around C$40,000, and I would have one of those stupid dash display thingies in it. No thanks. I'll spend my $1,700.

12-21-2017, 08:56 AM   #677
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Ain't going to happen so I suggest you pick up the car of your dreams now (but keep the Corolla-you'll need it while the Porsche is in the shop) . Or is automotive monogamy strictly enforced in Medina?

But seriously, beware of technology--they slather it on the new cars like icing on a wedding cake only with less thought. The clock in my new Forester is still on daylight saving time because the procedure for resetting it is so inanely complicated I can't be bothered: a dealer in NC had to put up an instructional video on that topic in self-defense.
You are right, of course. However, I guess I will just hold on to the Corolla. I have recently learned that it is one of the cars that the members of the Society of Dull Men are allowed to drive.

---------- Post added 12-21-17 at 10:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I'm with you on this. We own and drive a 2002 Toyota Tundra SR5. It has air conditioning, electric windows and a back seat big enough for great grandchildren. It does not have a TV screen in the middle of the dash that you have to look at to change some things while driving. It just went through 285,000 Km (177,000 mi). It is, barring a T-bone, our last vehicle. We have a notification from our service manager that the front end will need some work next year for a total of C$1,700 or so, axles are leaking a bit of grease and the sway bar bushings are worn. The only two times the truck wouldn't start for us were the two times I didn't close the driver's door all the way. I can't blame Toyota for my own stupidity. A new truck capable of towing our little 5th wheel would cost around C$40,000, and I would have one of those stupid dash display thingies in it. No thanks. I'll spend my $1,700.
Congratulations on that great experience. Toyota offers lots of automotive value, no doubt.
12-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #678
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
You are right, of course. However, I guess I will just hold on to the Corolla. I have recently learned that it is one of the cars that the members of the Society of Dull Men are allowed to drive.
I've misplaced my membership card -- do you know where I can find a replacement? SWMBO claims I should be president, I'm so boring ...
12-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #679
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I've misplaced my membership card -- do you know where I can find a replacement? SWMBO claims I should be president, I'm so boring ...
I have never received mine either so I just make do with using either my driver's license or social security card. Just speak in a dull monotone and don't make any sudden movements (of hands or feet I mean). No one is likely to question your membership.

12-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #680
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've still got my little half ton Chev. I swapped in a sbc 350 last year and now I'm looking at getting it rebuilt into a 383. Most likely will regear the rear end but not sure if I want to keep the stock 10 bolt or find a semi-floater 14 bolt.

This is for sure going to turn into a toy, so now I'm on the hunt for something else I can drive on weekend camping trips and haul buddies and gear up to the cabin. Thinking same gen tahoe 😁
12-26-2017, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #681
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 2016 Subaru was well-behaved on the snowy Indiana I-65 Sunday. Good tires help. Everyone was driving sanely, I was highly impressed. The 2003 Outback was also good on the ice and snow, though it had less computer controls (none but antilock brakes). The old one had better driver "feel" than the new one, likely due to less sophistication.

12-30-2017, 10:18 PM   #682
Veteran Member

Hey, Pentaxian car peeps... I was just wondering if anyone's got any experience of Nissan Frontiers from the early 'aughts. (No, nothing's wrong with the Ratmobile, but my household is looking at adding a 4wd truck to the stable, due to the location and property. ) One I'm thinking could be suitable is a 6 cylinder and auto.

Also it's an excuse to say hi.

As the Ratmobile goes, things kept interfering with me pulling her in for suspension work, including some new springs that have been waiting to go in, , but my garage is relatively-better equipped and I can't wait to have another go at some things that I now have air tools to make up for some age and frailty about. Predictably still haven't done the cosmetics and finally at some point plunked down on some ignition parts I got tired of worrying about, cause 300K miles.

12-30-2017, 11:28 PM - 1 Like   #683
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a 2002 Frontier 4wd V6 King cab that I bought new. Nissan lumped a lot of stuff into the trim level, so you will find many trucks have the same equipment. Mine is an XE which I think meant the V6, single CD player, other stuff not too plasticky, PS, PB, body color front bumper and fender flare things. I only have 56,000 miles on it because a) five years on a small island and b) I don't really have a job. I've had one fuel injector replaced last year, some kind of $1100 ignition system work in 2008, and the weather seals are not in great shape. I also have some weird problem with warping rear brake rotors. Should be simple drum brake tech, but as yet unfixed. The initial five island years probably started a lot of rust underneath, and some small brackets have rusted through. No exhaust issues yet, and with the V6 there are 4 catalytic converters so I hope it'll stay together. The hubs auto lock but there is no center diff, so the 4wd is meant for offroad. It is sort of annoying here when I want to drive in snowy weather, because of that lack of a center differential. Offroad it seems very capable, but I drive slow offroad. On Kaua'i I would regularly be passed by a rental PT Cruiser or Cavalier. My wife drove it up and down Pikes Peak when it was partly dirt because it turned out I am terrified above the treeline. Not at Millen speeds at all, but no issues.

The axle ratio with 4wd is 4:56 which sounds awesome I think but the power is kind of low. On the highway with the 5 speed manual, 65mph is 3000 rpm. I've driven it at 80 for a while but the revs hurt gas mileage and it doesn't seem that happy. Gas mileage is not great, probably 20 as a lifetime maximum and 16ish around town. The range is a bit short for long distances. At high altitudes it loses power but that's above 10,000 feet. I think the cargo limit is 1100 pounds with 4wd, and some trailer limitations. The King Cab is two real seats and doors, plus jump seats for emergencies or people who you never really wanted as passengers. Up to 2004 or so, the lights and electrical extras are old school, but the next version has the CANBUS type bulbs for extra complications.

In general, I'd buy it again. My wife has suggested a new truck but by mileage, this truck should be OK until 2030.

BTW, the amazing thing about your 740 is how short it is compared to new stuff. You are looking up to Sentras and Corollas.
12-31-2017, 11:29 PM   #684
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
In general, I'd buy it again. My wife has suggested a new truck but by mileage, this truck should be OK until 2030.

BTW, the amazing thing about your 740 is how short it is compared to new stuff. You are looking up to Sentras and Corollas.
That sounds OK for our purposes, actually, not much highway, we'd just like a good low-range for a sometimes-slippy drive and various work/little climbs around the property. Also so I can go across town and cash-and-carry various dirt and gravel in moderately-small quantities. I'm actually looking at a particular crew cab but with my housemates' resources and my skills I don't mind fixing things. (My own car's actually a 940, which is basically identical to a later 740 but has heavier doors for side-impact protection (And in the US was floppier for rigidity cause they omitted a crossmember brace to make the ride cushier, but I put an IPD one in cause dayum. I'll still be keeping this old girl. But, yeah, I parked next to a new Mustang sometime this year and I was like, "Wow, that's at least as big as my station wagon. On the outside." )

Anyway, if there's nothing to deter a pretty good if I do say shadetree-plus mechanic from keeping one going on a reasonable parts budget, it sounds worth checking out. Would like to know what to look for on inspection with this one, since it'll be a non-negligible trip to go check out, though, general impressions aside.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-31-2017 at 11:42 PM.
01-01-2018, 01:03 PM   #685
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look at the center high-mounted stop/cargo light assembly. I mentioned weather seals but that was the only leak I have had, with some water inside the cab. A quick indicator is if the cargo lights work. Some caulk fixed it but letting it go can cause all kinds of interior problems.

The oil capacity is really small, I think 3 3/4 quart. It's also an aluminum block. I switched immediately (~500 miles) to synthetic and it doesn't use oil, but I'd worry about signs of oil leakage, If they ever let it get low. There's a skid plate that has to be removed for oil/filter changes so it may be an indicator of how often these have been done. One nice 4wd plus, I can get under the truck without ramps.

The engine has never been quite smooth at idle. That might be an aluminum block V6 thing. The plugs were platinum from the factory and supposed to be good for a long time, like 90K or so. I replaced them one time because of the idle thing and they were twelve years old. One of the plugs is so far back you can't see it, and needs a couple of swivels and extensions to get it in and out. I was just happy to get that plug back in. The truck ran exactly the same after.

The plastic fan behind the radiator fan had a crack in it last year. I don't know when or how that happened. I had that replaced because I was preparing to drive to Chicago in July and didn't want to get stuck in Nebraska.

There was a recall for a steering part in maybe 2009. It wasn't part of the Takata airbag recalls, I think a few years too early.

Made right nearby in Smyrna, TN!

It is extremely handy to throw something in the back, put a ratchet strap around it and drive on. You may have to keep yourself from looking at the free section of craigslist.
01-02-2018, 01:26 AM   #686
Forum Member

BMW X3 ans an Öls Audi TT roadster of the year 2000.
01-02-2018, 11:03 PM - 2 Likes   #687
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
Some pics of a couple of my bikes in their natural habitat.

Here is my BMW:

And here is my KTM 950 Adventure:
Sadly, I had to say goodbye to these two beauties because some evil so-and-so stole them out of my driveway.

After scraping up some cash to get me back on two wheels ("two wheels good, four wheel bad" to paraphrase George Orwell..) I did a fly-n-ride in October. Flew to Salt Lake City and rode this low milage beauty home. 2002 Triumph Tiger 955i:

01-04-2018, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #688
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My daily driver is a 2012 Mercedes CLS 550, bought in December 2016 with 2961 miles on it. I love the twin turbo V8, it has only gotten me into a little bit of trouble from the Man. In winter, I love the AWD, although I put snow tires on as well ( not required here...should be). There is nothing like German seat heaters, they’re awesome. I wish the first owner had opted for a heated steering wheel, but, since I only buy used, I don’t have a choice. Given the car I drive, I expect zero sympathy.

To keep this forum-centric, the photo was taken with my K-3.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-04-2018, 10:13 PM   #689
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stens Quote
My daily driver is a 2012 Mercedes CLS 550, bought in December 2016 with 2961 miles on it. I love the twin turbo V8, it has only gotten me into a little bit of trouble from the Man. In winter, I love the AWD, although I put snow tires on as well ( not required here...should be). There is nothing like German seat heaters, they’re awesome. I wish the first owner had opted for a heated steering wheel, but, since I only buy used, I don’t have a choice. Given the car I drive, I expect zero sympathy.

Cost you a bit more than the one and only Mercedes I ever owned. In Germany with NATO in 1965 bought a 1958 220S Ponton with full length sun roof. It cost me DM1.500 or Cdn$405. I was studying to be an accountant in 1971 when it needed a head rebuild and I didn't have the $$$ to do it. Best car I have ever owned, bar none.

I know I cannot afford the tickets I would get with yours; the 220S speedometer seemed to always hit 138 kmh (70 or so) unless I really paid attention. It would go faster if I was using heavy shoes and pushed past the primary barrel overspring and opened the secondaries. When we came back to Canada that was a problem on almost all the 2 lane roads. For those who don't get the speed ideas, this was a 2.2 liter engine pulling a full sized sedan, and it got over 25 mpg (10 liters/hundred km) on the autobahn at 135-140. What a comparison to the 1958 Chevrolet Belair two door hardtop I left behind ...
01-05-2018, 10:04 AM   #690
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stens Quote

Nice!

So the first owner effectively paid something like a thousand dollars per mile, because of depreciation, maybe more.

I showed your photo to my wife so she could sympathize about the heated steering wheel, one of her complaints about her SLK250. And the power seat moves too slow.

What kind of snow tires?