Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #901
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I find it interesting how different generations seem to strongly dislike certain types of vehicles. On the past few pages, several have made comments regarding their distaste for SUVs.

As I listen to people speak about automobiles, I find most hate the type of vehicles their parents drove and say they'll never own the same. Meaning if your parents drove a station wagon, you might hate station wagons and refuse to buy one. My parents hate station wagons, so they bought one of the first minivans (when minivans were a new thing) to haul us around when we were young. My wife and I hate minivans and said we'd never own one (even though my wife drives one due to the functionality hauling our own kids around -- and because as much we want an SUV, they're too expensive as kid-haulers). Now that so many people drive big SUVs, will the younger generation hate them too?

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
My hope is that eventually people will long for more performance, better mileage, and better handling in some of their crossovers. This will result in several new types of crossovers that are lowered 3-4 inches and more aerodynamically sculpted. You could call them, and this is just a suggestion, "coupes", "sedans", and "wagons" or "estates".
Maybe the younger generation will drive station wagons... When does the cycle start to repeat?

03-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #902
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
When does the cycle start to repeat?

When there are none of the old style models still on the road, of course. That's Marketing 101...

Chris
03-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #903
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 15 year old son thinks station wagons are cool so it may be repeating. He likes all things retro and shoots with my Voigtlander Vito B.

Edit to add:
I like station wagons (AWD ones in particular) because they are practical for my lifestyle. Interestingly enough our family car when I was young was a station wagon (70's boxy Volvo) and later we got a minivan. We also had a sedan (Toyota Cressida).
I hated pickup trucks when I was young because I didn't see the point (and in SE Michigan there often isn't a practical reason to own one). But now I own a truck because it makes sense here with the things we do.

So me and my son liking station wagons kind of breaks the trend of hating what you parents had. But we are practical people for the most part.

Last edited by mattb123; 03-26-2018 at 09:59 AM.
03-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #904
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
. . . I hated pickup trucks when I was young because I didn't see the point (and in SE Michigan there often isn't a practical reason to own one). But now I own a truck because it makes sense here with the things we do. . .
too many people with pick up trucks do not realize when they buy them how " light " they are in the back

not good for rear wheel drive traction

03-26-2018, 10:17 AM   #905
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
too many people with pick up trucks do not realize when they buy them how " light " they are in the back

That's why 4 wheel drive is important, as is the summer's supply of patio stones in the bed. We are always playing with the landscaping, so I buy next summer's materials and put them in the bed for winter traction.
03-26-2018, 10:20 AM - 2 Likes   #906
Pentaxian

I think the bigger problem is overconfidence: people mistaking starting traction with stopping traction. Just because they have four-wheel-drive to help them start moving on slippery roads doesn't mean they have an advantage to stopping (we all have four-wheel-brakes).
03-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #907
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed! In 2wd it wants to spin on snow and ice. If I have the choice I take my Subaru in those kinds of conditions or at least pop the truck into 4wd.

---------- Post added 03-26-18 at 11:31 AM ----------

I think the bigger problem is overconfidence: people mistaking starting traction with stopping traction. Just because they have four-wheel-drive to help them start moving on slippery roads doesn't mean they have an advantage to stopping (we all have four-wheel-brakes).
Too true! I commuted 30 Miles one way in the mountains daily for 7 years and the vast majority of cars we saw in the ditch were 4x4s. Early on it was mostly pickup trucks but as SUVs got more popular they became the dominant ditch dweller. Most commonly a rental or with out of state plates.
Glad I live close to my office now and don't drive to work at all anymore.

Last edited by mattb123; 03-26-2018 at 11:01 AM.
03-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #908
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like station wagons, and wouldn't mind owning one. For most they're more practical as an everyday driver
than vans, SUVs or pickups, except for those who must always be ready to carry that large load.

When my stepfather died in 1998 I was without car so I took his 1988 Celebrity wagon as my share of the estate.
With baby seat in back I referred to that vehicle as "The Chick Magnet". I miss that old car.

Before we bought our 2012 Mazda 3 we did consider a Subaru Impreza AWD wagon,
but the local Subaru dealer and their service department were unknown quantities.

Chris

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
...the vast majority of cars we saw in the ditch were 4x4s.

I owned an '87 Trooper II. Of course with 4WD I could safely drive faster than most cars in the snow.
I found this could actually expose me to far more danger!

As I passed all those fishtailing cars on our 6 and 8 lane parkways any one might potentially sideswipe me!
And if I couldn't get to work faster than those turkeys going 10 MPH what was the point of owning a 4WD?

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
the summer's supply of patio stones in the bed. We are always playing with the landscaping,
so I buy next summer's materials and put them in the bed for winter traction.

As I kid I remember my parents kept a couple bags of salt, cold patch or Sakrete in the trunk to aid traction in winter.

I can't imagine having to drive around with that kind of "ballast", but then again I've never been a ship captain.
I'd hate to be involved in a road wreck with you, or even be in the vicinity.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-26-2018 at 03:05 PM.
03-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #909
Veteran Member

I find it interesting how different generations seem to strongly dislike certain types of vehicles. On the past few pages, several have made comments regarding their distaste for SUVs.

As I listen to people speak about automobiles, I find most hate the type of vehicles their parents drove and say they'll never own the same. Meaning if your parents drove a station wagon, you might hate station wagons and refuse to buy one. My parents hate station wagons, so they bought one of the first minivans (when minivans were a new thing) to haul us around when we were young. My wife and I hate minivans and said we'd never own one (even though my wife drives one due to the functionality hauling our own kids around -- and because as much we want an SUV, they're too expensive as kid-haulers). Now that so many people drive big SUVs, will the younger generation hate them too?

Maybe the younger generation will drive station wagons... When does the cycle start to repeat?
Interesting thought. When I was born, my parents drove a small Suzuki Jimny and Alto (the Alto was an unreliable nightmare) before switching to a Renault 9 sedan. Then a Renault 19 sedan (which I gave input into... I always was quite the car nut). I miss the Renaults, and would like to own them again. But since they were utilitarian cars, they have almost disappeared. Especially the 9. And I'm not rich enough to restore an oldtimer... After that a Citroen Xsara II hatchback, again I played a role in the purchase. I ended up driving the Renault 19 for a while, and later the Xsara. When we moved to South East Asia we bought a Renault Kangoo mini van (as in, car front, cargo back... less than 4 meters long, but a decent 7 seater). I did love it, although almost no one would ever call it attractive. After my move back to Germany, I got the Xsara working again. Unfortunately the head gasket eventually failed, and I ended up buying the Golf. But I like all the cars we had, except for the Suzukis (I was 1 when we replaced them with the Renault). I can't imagine myself driving an SUV. Then again, I also could never imagine myself owning a Golf... always wanted French cars instead. So for me... I prefer the cars that my parents would have bought anyway, but then again I was influencing their decisions early on.

Also, I have a soft spot for station wagons. Though we never owned one. Unfortunately the want for something that is relatively short (and financial reasons) prevailed, otherwise, yeah, a Golf wagon probably?
03-26-2018, 03:48 PM   #910

My old man bought a brand new 1980 Malibu and I drive a sedan. Best vehicle for me. Honestly, if it wasn't the Charger, it would have been a Taurus or whatever the Chevy sedan is.

My second car was my parents old Plymouth Voyager. God I hated minivans. Still do honestly. Yes, it was nice to take all my friends to the beach, but I still don't like them.
03-26-2018, 06:02 PM   #911
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Interesting thought. When I was born, my parents drove a small Suzuki Jimny and Alto (the Alto was an unreliable nightmare) before switching to a Renault 9 sedan...
I have to look up most of the cars you mention, because they never made it in any form to the US. But I've driven the Renault 9, my only exposure to a French car. Renault was trying to break into the US market (again) and had a deal with American Motors. In 1983 they introduced the 9, renamed the "Alliance". Four door sedan, 1.4L, the only car I've ever seen with the oil filter right on top of the engine. They didn't sell very well and within a couple of years, seeing an Alliance was rare.
03-26-2018, 07:24 PM   #912
Pentaxian

I like station wagons. I was a kid mostly in the '50's and 60's. My parents had a number of wagons then. Our family had a series of RV trailers as we camped a lot. Wagon wise, we had a '58 Ford, '59 Chevy, '61 Chevy Nomad, '64 Chevy Impala wagon(s). They were great at towing, hauling lot's of camping supplies, luggage, people. Except for one wagon all of them were V8 powered. Big station wagons were the epitome of practicality for large families...who needed a lot of people and cargo space.

I recall my parent's last tow car and it was unusual in that it was a 4 door hardtop, not a wagon. It was a '69 Chevy Impala, with the 396 cubic inch big block V8, heavy duty THM 400 transmission and heavy duty axle..a GM 12 bolt. By that time it was just the two of them that were camping.
03-26-2018, 08:23 PM   #913
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I like station wagons. I was a kid mostly in the '50's and 60's. My parents had a number of wagons then. Our family had a series of RV trailers as we camped a lot. Wagon wise, we had a '58 Ford, '59 Chevy, '61 Chevy Nomad, '64 Chevy Impala wagon(s). They were great at towing, hauling lot's of camping supplies, luggage, people. Except for one wagon all of them were V8 powered. Big station wagons were the epitome of practicality for large families...who needed a lot of people and cargo space.

I recall my parent's last tow car and it was unusual in that it was a 4 door hardtop, not a wagon. It was a '69 Chevy Impala, with the 396 cubic inch big block V8, heavy duty THM 400 transmission and heavy duty axle..a GM 12 bolt. By that time it was just the two of them that were camping.
And I'm guessing you and/or them are wishing they still had one or two of these cars around...
03-26-2018, 09:33 PM   #914
Pentaxian

And I'm guessing you and/or them are wishing they still had one or two of these cars around...
I do. The '69 Impala 396 in particular. My parents bought it new in '69, kept it for a couple of years than traded it in on a new '71. In 1984 I came across it downtown in my city. It was showing it's age, some rust, some dents. I looked inside the interior and could still see the extra gauges my dad had added when it was new...coolant temp, oil pressure.

About 10 years later...'94-95... I was in a local speed shop and got to talking with the owner about the old '69 396. He said he knew the car and that it had been in an accident a few years before and written off. A guy who was building a clone '69 Impala SS, bought my parents old '69 from the wrecking yard, for trim pieces, some body parts, but primarily for the 396 Rat motor, 12 bolt axle and THM 400 transmission.

He had a 327 small block Chevy V8 and a THM 350, 10 bolt axle and replaced all these components with the heavier duty stuff and 396. He souped up the 396 a bit, bored it out, added a performance cam, bigger carburetor, free flowing exhaust. I was happy to hear that parts of the old '69 live on.

I also wouldn't mind having two of the older wagons. The '58 Ford with it's 292 V8, 3 on the tree manual transmission and the '61 Chevy Nomad wagon, which had a 283. When I was a kid I wanted them to get a 348 W series V8 in it, but no dice.

Any old cars you've had...or that were family owned that you would like to have around ?
03-27-2018, 06:21 AM   #915
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Any old cars you've had...or that were family owned that you would like to have around ?
I really enjoy the Impalas, both new and old.

My dad had several muscle cars during the 60s, from Chargers to Cudas and a few others. My mom's aunt still has a 1957 VW Bus begging to be restored, but it just sits in a garage and will continue to do so. I have owned three VW Bugs, my favorite being the 1975 Beetle Sport. My wife and I used to take road trips in that one. I sold it to pay for some work on our house several years ago.

My younger brother had a 1976 Camaro Z28 that was fun to drive, and my cousin restored my grandpa's 1950 Chevy 3100 pickup truck. It's beautiful.