Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2018, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #1051
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
A standard is another term frequently used to describe a manual transmission, e.g, standard versus automatic.
Quite right. I've driving for well over 50 years...not brag...just fact...as they used to say . When I was very young, most transmissions were manuals or standards in North America....not a lot of automatics...in the '40's they were regarded as new fangled things. I'm guessing that the word 'standard' was used to describe a manual tranny back then as the manual was the norm...the common transmission...in other words the transmission in most cars...hence the 'standard'.

But I'm guessing.

I drove manual transmissions...only... in my first 15 years of driving...lessee that would be...first personal ten vehicles...both car and motorcycle...either American, European or Japanese made. I much preferred a manual over an automatic. I eventually became resigned to getting vehicles with automatics and went to an automatic transmission as I worked in the downtown of a good sized city and the driving back and forth to work in very slow traffic grid...finally did me in.

Insofar as clutch in, clutch out..first gear, second gear...shift back to first gear....repeat....repeat.... ad infinitum.....ad nauseum....

I did like shifting...up shifting, down shifting, short shifting, quick shifting...shifting with transmissions with synchromesh on each gear, shifting with vehicles without synchros on all or some of the gears...the non synchros were mostly old farm trucks...syncromesh was either worn off or there was no synchromesh on the particular gear in the first place.

Now, some modern automatics have manual settings and fingertip or paddle shifting mechanisms. They're all right and I tend to use this feature to get some engine braking while driving down mountain roads...but IMHO it's not the same as a good manual transmission.

04-27-2018, 02:50 PM   #1052
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been driving for almost that long -- 48 years. My experience was just the opposite from yours, though. All my family ever owned -- from the first car I really recall paying attention to, which was a '59 Ford Galaxy -- until present day, well almost. My dad's deceased and my mom can't drive anymore. Anyway, I was the one to step out of the mold. My first car was '65 VW bug, which had a 4-speed manual, of course. Then a Karmann Ghia then a Ford pickup (w/3 speed), then another VW, and only then my first auto tranny car -- a '65 Ford my dad gave to me. Then another VW, and another Ford pickup (w/3-speed), and so it went. Altogether, I've owned more manual tranny cars than autos, but it was deliberate choices on my part, since most cars I would come across had auto trannies.

Like you, I much prefer manual transmissions. This most recent XC90 of ours has an auto transmission, where the shifter can be set into manual mode and then you just push forward on the shifter to shift up and pull back to shift down. It's not a whole lot different feeling from when I put our V90 in a manual gear though. Not the same feeling as a good manual.
04-27-2018, 03:04 PM   #1053
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As mentioned earlier in this thread. I won't buy a truck unless it has a stick. GMs have proven extremely reliable for the tough jobs I put them through, but it's almost impossible to find a stick in a GM truck since my last Silverado Z71 in 1998. I gave that truck to my brother years ago when I needed a larger truck, now a Ford F-250.

I'm getting ready to buy a Dodge Ram with a stick tomorrow, so I'll have to post a photo soon. It's been harder to find sticks in the Fords and Dodges too, unless they're diesel; and I definitely don't want a diesel.

I've always preferred manual transmissions too. My 3-speed automatic 1989 Pontiac Grand Am was my first automatic. That car was a tank and despite how hard I tried to break it so I could get a newer car, I couldn't. Now my 2004 Grand Am is indestructible too. I've had it for 12 years and after 200,000 miles, it's only been in the shop once, to replace the fuel pump.
04-27-2018, 04:52 PM   #1054
Pentaxian

As mentioned earlier in this thread. I won't buy a truck unless it has a stick. GMs have proven extremely reliable for the tough jobs I put them through, but it's almost impossible to find a stick in a GM truck since my last Silverado Z71 in 1998. I gave that truck to my brother years ago when I needed a larger truck, now a Ford F-250.

I'm getting ready to buy a Dodge Ram with a stick tomorrow, so I'll have to post a photo soon. It's been harder to find sticks in the Fords and Dodges too, unless they're diesel; and I definitely don't want a diesel.

I've always preferred manual transmissions too. My 3-speed automatic 1989 Pontiac Grand Am was my first automatic. That car was a tank and despite how hard I tried to break it so I could get a newer car, I couldn't. Now my 2004 Grand Am is indestructible too. I've had it for 12 years and after 200,000 miles, it's only been in the shop once, to replace the fuel pump.
Looking forward to seeing a pix of your Dodge truck. V8 or V6 powered ?

Regarding GM vehicle, I've been happy with them, mostly had GM over the years, but have had a few other other makes....VW, Volvo, Ford, Mercury. Currently one of our cars is our 2007 Buick LeCrosse. It has the Buick 3.8 liter 90 degree V6 that has been more or less in the Buick line from 1962 to 2009, when it was discontinued. Like many Buick Division engines over the decades, it was tuned by the factory for lots of low end and mid range torque. It moves our large 6 passenger Buick sedan out very well.

---------- Post added 04-27-18 at 06:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I've been driving for almost that long -- 48 years. My experience was just the opposite from yours, though. All my family ever owned -- from the first car I really recall paying attention to, which was a '59 Ford Galaxy -- until present day, well almost. My dad's deceased and my mom can't drive anymore. Anyway, I was the one to step out of the mold. My first car was '65 VW bug, which had a 4-speed manual, of course. Then a Karmann Ghia then a Ford pickup (w/3 speed), then another VW, and only then my first auto tranny car -- a '65 Ford my dad gave to me. Then another VW, and another Ford pickup (w/3-speed), and so it went. Altogether, I've owned more manual tranny cars than autos, but it was deliberate choices on my part, since most cars I would come across had auto trannies.

Like you, I much prefer manual transmissions. This most recent XC90 of ours has an auto transmission, where the shifter can be set into manual mode and then you just push forward on the shifter to shift up and pull back to shift down. It's not a whole lot different feeling from when I put our V90 in a manual gear though. Not the same feeling as a good manual.
VW Bug. I had three of them...my first car was a '61 Type 1 Deluxe Beetle. Boy did it take a kicking from a hard driving 18-19 year old...me. My last Beetle was a '69 VW Deluxe...1500 cc, 4 speed manual, I took it to the drag strip once...19.4 seconds @ 68.5 mph was the time and speed as it went through the clocks.

04-27-2018, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #1055
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Looking forward to seeing a pix of your Dodge truck. V8 or V6 powered ?

Currently one of our cars is our 2007 Buick LeCrosse. It has the Buick 3.8 liter 90 degree V6 that has been more or less in the Buick line from 1962 to 2009, when it was discontinued.

VW Bug. I had three of them...my first car was a '61 Type 1 Deluxe Beetle. Boy did it take a kicking from a hard driving 18-19 year old...me. My last Beetle was a '69 VW Deluxe...1500 cc, 4 speed manual, I took it to the drag strip once...19.4 seconds @ 68.5 mph was the time and speed as it went through the clocks.
It's a three-quarter ton 5.7 Hemi V8 in the Dodge, with a 6-speed manual.

I had a beautiful 1995 Buick Riviera, commemorative of the first Riviera in 1965. It had the 3.8 and was faster than my buddy's 5.0 Mustang.

I've also had three VW Bugs, a 73, 74, and rare 1975 Beetle Sport.
04-27-2018, 07:39 PM   #1056
Pentaxian

It's a three-quarter ton 5.7 Hemi V8 in the Dodge, with a 6-speed manual.

I had a beautiful 1995 Buick Riviera, commemorative of the first Riviera in 1965. It had the 3.8 and was faster than my buddy's 5.0 Mustang.

I've also had three VW Bugs, a 73, 74, and rare 1975 Beetle Sport.
That Dodge with the 5.7 hemi, 3/4 ton and 6 speed manual (ZF ?) sounds like a really useful truck...towing, cargo...and given your in Idaho...good for those mountain roads...I'm thinking engine braking. We were in Montana and Wyoming a couple of years ago...and some of those mountain passes aside from being beautiful, could be challenging, especially downhill...I think you'll save on brake linings with your manual transmission. Everything I've heard about the truck hemi V8 has been very positive...lots of power.

The mid '90's Riv is a stunning looking car. Saw one at a car show a couple of years ago...couldn't take my eyes off of it's lines. I'm not surprised that your 3.8 pulled the Mustang 5 liter...the 3.8, whether fuel injected, turbo or super charged has punch.

The '70's VW Sport...rings a bell...wasn't that a special version with some sporting differences produced by the VW factory ?
04-27-2018, 08:18 PM   #1057

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hello to a fellow Porsche owner. I'm on my third Porsche, a 2015 911 Cabrio, which was preceded by a 2013 Boxster S and - before that - a base model Boxster (2008). I've avoided special, low-volume cars because I don't want a potentially collectible heirloom; I want cars that I can drive, that I can park at a restaurant for a couple of hours without hyperventilating, and on which I can accept a stone chip or two with equanimity.

Mine have all been reliable, but you're right - they ain't cheap to maintain, and older cars or newer ones beyond warranty coverage can be very expensive to repair if something does go wrong.

What model do you own?

Jer
911, the 996, 2001. Very low mileage. It would make a great daily driver lol.

04-28-2018, 02:33 AM   #1058
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Hm, but isn't it possible that the thing really needs fixing? I've had things that needed to be fixed, but I didn't notice them, and they weren't noticed during the service either.......So I'm glad when they find anything that could turn into something serious early enough.
I don't think you realise how it works. When a customer comes in complaining of eg a water leak or funny noise, the workshop foreman has a look and with his experience has a thought of what the problem is (eg needs new water pump). Mechanic then changes the water pump but if the problem remains (as it sometimes does if the foreman was wrong), the foreman has a second "guess" and something else is changed (eg the head gasket). This process can go on for several items until the problem is cured.

However, having changed the water pump unnecessarily, the workshop is not going to change back to the old one; even if they could put it back in store the labour is not worth it. So they tell the customer that a new one was needed anyway.

Modern computer diagnostics don't necessarily help. They are no better than the assumptions of those who programmed them, and are worse in that tend to identify whole sub-systems rather than components, so the garage replaces the whole sub-system rather than the single faulty component like they did in olden days. There isn't a sensor and microprocessor on every individual component. BTW, a service is supposed to pick up faults, not just change the oil; you didn't go to this place did you? :-

For a time I was the deputy foreman in a dealer's workshop, and i can always find some faults on a car. I am aware of several on my own at present, for example the air-conditioning has a mind of its own and there is the start of corrosion, still superficial, on the towbar beam. Whether they really need attention right now or not is another matter, and it is a judgement where you draw the line.
04-28-2018, 05:17 AM   #1059
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
What, no more Crown Vic? Surely the world is coming to an end!
You know there's more truth buried in there than Ford would probably like to admit. The US manufacturers spent so many years making so many crappy cars that they have no chance in the sedan/coupe market. BMW, Audi, Merc, Volvo and a few Japanese manufacturers ate their lunch, and nobody will go back. I'm exaggerating a little, but the only US car that competes with the BWM 3-series, the Audi A4/S4, the comparable Merc or Lexus is the Cadillac CTS/ATS. And I know from experience, Caddy still has that stench of being a car only 80-year-olds drive. They make nice drivers cars, but they're the car of Jerry Seinfeld's dad at Del Boca Vista, and they're sold by good ol' boys at the Chevy dealer.

There are only a handful of US cars that I'd even look at. CTS, ATS, Focus RS... ummm.... that's it. Not counting purpose built sports cars like a Corvette or Mustang. When you spend 30 or 40 years making cars nobody wants they'll look elsewhere. Either to Europe, Japan, or other types of vehicles. SUVs at least have some attributes people want, while US makers basically told their potential customers that fun and interesting wasn't available.
04-28-2018, 05:25 AM   #1060
Veteran Member

Hm. But the only successful European cars in the US that aren't built for the US market are luxury ones. And Japanese brands cover the mainstream with purpose built cars for the US market, too.

Also, it's not like US brands don't have European cars. Ford does, and is successful with them. GM had Opel, which does ok in Europe (especially with one of their smallest cars, the Adam). US customers didn't want them though.

As for servicing and fixing things, I am aware of that. But there are cases where it was obvious. Some rubber sealing was damaged (no idea what it's called in English), so dirt could get into some components of the steering system. Replacing the rubber thing would have been a few bucks, but by the time it was noticed it was game over. Likewise, I head gasket failures on two cars. Both were fixed, but one of them didn't survive. It was too late. Had the workshop bothered to check the oil cap (or had I known back then), the problem could have been fixed before the engine was beyond repair.
04-28-2018, 07:00 AM   #1061
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
You know there's more truth buried in there than Ford would probably like to admit. The US manufacturers spent so many years making so many crappy cars that they have no chance in the sedan/coupe market. BWM, Audi, Merc, Volvo and a few Japanese manufacturers ate their lunch, and nobody will go back. I'm exaggerating a little, but the only US car that competes with the BWM 3-series, the Audi A4/S4, the comparable Merc or Lexus is the Cadillac CTS/ATS. And I know from experience, Caddy still has that stench of being a car only 80-year-olds drive. They make nice drivers cars, but they're the car of Jerry Seinfeld's dad at Del Boca Vista, and they're sold by good ol' boys at the Chevy dealer.

There are only a handful of US cars that I'd even look at. CTS, ATS, Focus RS... ummm.... that's it. Not counting purpose built sports cars like a Corvette or Mustang. When you spend 30 or 40 years making cars nobody wants they'll look elsewhere. Either to Europe, Japan, or other types of vehicles. SUVs at least have some attributes people want, while US makers basically told their potential customers that fun and interesting wasn't available.
You know there's more truth buried in there than Ford would probably like to admit. The US manufacturers spent so many years making so many crappy cars that they have no chance in the sedan/coupe market. BMW, Audi, Merc, Volvo and a few Japanese manufacturers ate their lunch, and nobody will go back. I'm exaggerating a little, but the only US car that competes with the BWM 3-series, the Audi A4/S4, the comparable Merc or Lexus is the Cadillac CTS/ATS. And I know from experience, Caddy still has that stench of being a car only 80-year-olds drive. They make nice drivers cars, but they're the car of Jerry Seinfeld's dad at Del Boca Vista, and they're sold by good ol' boys at the Chevy dealer.

You're stuttering.
04-28-2018, 07:21 AM   #1062
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Insofar as clutch in, clutch out..first gear, second gear...shift back to first gear....repeat....repeat.... ad infinitum.....ad nauseum....

I did like shifting...up shifting, down shifting, short shifting, quick shifting...shifting with transmissions with synchromesh on each gear, shifting with vehicles without synchros on all or some of the gears...the non synchros were mostly old farm trucks...syncromesh was either worn off or there was no synchromesh on the particular gear in the first place.

Try driving a vehicle with one of these.

18 forward gears, twin countershafts so it can handle the torque the engine puts out. Nearly 3 feet long, almost 2 feet wide, and over 700 pounds.

Beefy.

The shift pattern.

If you miss a gear, and you aren't very experienced with one, you will have to pull to the side, stop, and begin all over again.

Try not to get lost.
04-28-2018, 07:48 AM   #1063
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Try driving a vehicle with one of these.

18 forward gears, twin countershafts so it can handle the torque the engine puts out. Nearly 3 feet long, almost 2 feet wide, and over 700 pounds.

Beefy.

The shift pattern.

If you miss a gear, and you aren't very experienced with one, you will have to pull to the side, stop, and begin all over again.

Try not to get lost.
I never drove one a truck equipped with a roadranger 18 speed, although I have watched videos of drivers...master shifters...running these transmissions. I would say..they seemed busier than a one armed paper hanger with a.....well you know the rest . They were/are accomplished and even that appellation doesn't indicate how good, how coordinated, how quick they are at shifting.

I drove medium duty trucks...ie; Ford (F700) and old International grain trucks on the farm. With these full loaded (with grain) farm trucks...if you missed a shift , particularly the first shift after you got rolling...chances were very good that you would have to come to a stop and start from square one. Happened a couple of times for me at first and I learned to be quick and precise in my shifting with a heavy load. Often times we were at the max load..or probably a bit more in the run from combine to grain bin.
04-28-2018, 08:18 AM   #1064
Pentaxian

That Dodge with the 5.7 hemi, 3/4 ton and 6 speed manual (ZF ?) sounds like a really useful truck...towing, cargo...and given your in Idaho...good for those mountain roads...I'm thinking engine braking. We were in Montana and Wyoming a couple of years ago...and some of those mountain passes aside from being beautiful, could be challenging, especially downhill...I think you'll save on brake linings with your manual transmission. Everything I've heard about the truck hemi V8 has been very positive...lots of power.

The mid '90's Riv is a stunning looking car. Saw one at a car show a couple of years ago...couldn't take my eyes off of it's lines. I'm not surprised that your 3.8 pulled the Mustang 5 liter...the 3.8, whether fuel injected, turbo or super charged has punch.

The '70's VW Sport...rings a bell...wasn't that a special version with some sporting differences produced by the VW factory ?
We camp about 1/3 of the year with either my 1960 truck camper or my 27-foot bumper pull. Not only are engine brakes helpful, but trailer brakes are a must on some of those hills.

Pentax MX and probably K 28/3.5

I loved the Buick. Probably my favorite car I've owned. Everything was stock except the wheels, but it had more options than most newer cars.

The US stopped importing VW Bugs in 1974 due to rollover safety ratings. It made my 1975 Bug Sport even more rare. Not too many sport models were made. 100% of the interior was black, and there was no aluminum trim on the outside. Even the rims and hubcaps were black (although I swapped rims and hubcaps from another bug I owned because they were in better condition).

I would drive a 1990 Chevy Celebrity before I'd own a BMW. But you know what they say: If you can afford a BMW, you can afford the maintenance.
04-28-2018, 08:49 AM   #1065
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I loved the Buick. Probably my favorite car I've owned. Everything was stock except the wheels, but it had more options than most newer cars.

Looks like it was repainted with that color shifting paint.

I like those finishes, the various colors that can be combined make for some great effects as the light and viewing position changes.