Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #1246
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those "bumper thingies" would save that fancy grill when you nosedive
braking before rear-ending the dummy who stops short in front of you.

Bumper guards were once a common inexpensive accessory.
People weren't so dumb in the olden days...

Chris

07-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #1247
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Those "bumper thingies" would save that fancy grill when you nosedive
braking before rear-ending the dummy who stops short in front of you.

Bumper guards were once a common inexpensive accessory.
People weren't so dumb in the olden days...

Chris
In the old days bumpers protected the vehicle they were mounted upon. They might get a bit of scratched chrome, but the vehicle was unmarked. Now it costs the insurance company C$1,400 if some idiot backs into you in a parking lot to save you "allegedly" whip lash.

I have a customized rear bumper from backing into a heavy curb divider the city decided to move to make an entry way narrower - I was backing on the other mirror - and it will stay customized for $1,400, thanks very much. It didn't customize it enough to interfere with the tailgate, so I don't give a ...
07-16-2018, 01:30 PM   #1248
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
In the old days bumpers protected the vehicle they were mounted upon. They might get a bit of scratched chrome, but the vehicle was unmarked. Now it costs the insurance company C$1,400 if some idiot backs into you in a parking lot to save you "allegedly" whip lash.

I have a customized rear bumper from backing into a heavy curb divider the city decided to move to make an entry way narrower - I was backing on the other mirror - and it will stay customized for $1,400, thanks very much. It didn't customize it enough to interfere with the tailgate, so I don't give a ...
There's an old (1954) Ford F 700 Big Job delivery truck I know of and about 10 years ago I spoke to the owner about the front bumper replacement on the truck. It's about a 4 foot length of steel I beam welded to the front bumper supports . He told me that about 60 years ago the original bumper was badly damaged and expensive to replace, so they had some I Beam cut and then welded up. In the ensuing years they have had absolutely no damage visited on their new 'bumper'.
07-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #1249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the old days bumpers protected the vehicle they were mounted upon.
They might get a bit of scratched chrome, but the vehicle was unmarked.

At one time a rear bumper was not mandatory in New York for pickup trucks.

A thrifty coworker bought a new small pickup to commute in.
He probably saved close to $100 by deleting the rear bumper.

He paid far more than that at the body shop when he was inevitably rear-ended.

Chris

07-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #1250
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
At one time a rear bumper was not mandatory in New York for pickup trucks.

A thrifty coworker bought a new small pickup to commute in.
He probably saved close to $100 by deleting the rear bumper.

He paid far more than that at the body shop when he was inevitably rear-ended.

Chris
Ah, but did he save more than the cost of fixing/replacing the new "bumpers" they mandated even after fixing the body work? Nowadays, the bumper is the most cost of replacing rear end damage, it seems.
07-17-2018, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #1251
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ah, but did he save more than the cost of fixing/replacing the new "bumpers" they mandated even after fixing the body work? Nowadays, the bumper is the most cost of replacing rear end damage, it seems.
My current rear bumper is huge and ugly but it's a good deterrent for cars to not follow to closely
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 2  Photo 
07-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #1252
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
My current rear bumper is huge and ugly but it's a good deterrent for cars to not follow to closely
That's a bumper, and personally I think it looks sharp. The ones that came with my 2002 Tundra make a decent step for climbing in, but I really cannot see any other advantages to them.

07-17-2018, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #1253
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
Mine is a little rusty, some paint missing and dented. I like to think it's more effective that way.

My wife asked me about the dent. I said, "I drove you to work one day in the snow. On my way back, I was on that road they don't plow by the trailer park going about 20mph. I downshifted for the turn and the rear wheels broke traction because of the shift, while I had the front wheels turned for the curve. I spun around and slid into a tree stump backwards, denting the bumper."

She said, "I really thought you'd just say someone else hit you in a parking lot."
07-17-2018, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #1254
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Typically older vehicles are not required to comply with the new regulations.

I guess that means my former co-worker can continue to patronize his body shop
with no need to make a frivolous purchase of that "unnecessary" $99 bumper.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 07-18-2018 at 06:34 PM.
07-19-2018, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #1255
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I had a catalog from them.

And yes, they are still around, but have dropped support of the Z.
Ah, well. Good to hear, though. (I've always thought I might like to do an MGBGT project one day. Who knows if that'll happen given how expensive they've probably gotten, but one of those has always been somewhere on my list. )
07-21-2018, 10:15 PM   #1256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
2005 Mercury Grand Marquis! Tough as nails, handles great, cheap to fix, super comfortable, and people get out of your way cause they think you are the fuzz. Long live the grandpa car! I endured a hail storm and a bout of de-laminating paint, so it looks a bit more sad than in the picture.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-22-2018, 05:40 AM   #1257
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
2005 Mercury Grand Marquis! Tough as nails, handles great, cheap to fix, super comfortable, and people get out of your way cause they think you are the fuzz. Long live the grandpa car! I endured a hail storm and a bout of de-laminating paint, so it looks a bit more sad than in the picture.
My buddy's dad had a Mercury Cougar of the same vintage, what a beast of a car! Black with tinted windows meant everybody got out of your way
07-22-2018, 08:17 AM   #1258
Veteran Member

Cool car. Long live the Crown Vic and it's close cousins!
07-22-2018, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #1259
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After two months driving my new to me 2017 Subaru Outback the only complaint I have is that the door pockets are too small.
07-24-2018, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #1260

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
(2) BMW's (1) SUZUKI ...motorcycles... are my daily riders... use the cage (-96 GMC JIMMY)..hardly at all