Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2018, 07:55 PM   #1261
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SKYGZR Quote
use the cage (-96 GMC JIMMY)..hardly at all
With all the crazy drivers here in Phoenix I wouldn't give up my cage for anything

07-24-2018, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #1262

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as a true motorcyclist is concerned (and I'm a true motorcyclist, ie;one who rides year round & just not on the weekends, or during "nice weather")...ALL cage drivers are "crazy" & a hazard......even more now days with the fart phone stupidity & ifotainment stupid systems in most cages...
07-25-2018, 07:28 AM   #1263
Veteran Member

What model Beemers do you ride, SKYGZR? I own a couple of older Airheads that I like . . . a lot.

Idiots on cellphones are out to kill us, so you have to keep your head on a swivel constantly.

Great thing about living out here in the Southwest is you can ride 365 days a year -- if you don't mind getting wet on occasion. I live in Houston, after all, which gets its share of rain. I like the winter months the best, where I can wear a leather jacket and not sweat in it.
07-25-2018, 08:02 AM   #1264
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I had a motorcycle (1946 Royal Enfield 350 single, identical to the army version you see in old British films under dispatch riders) I was living on the South West coast of Canada. It was ridable all year, but I did dump it once trying to ride after a silver thaw (freezing rain to the max that we get on the West Coast of Canada).

07-25-2018, 11:12 AM   #1265

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
What model Beemers do you ride, SKYGZR? .

As of JULY-2018,
'85K100RS,Original Owner,DOWN@*200,620*mi
**Parked in the living room, waiting for possible restore**
'03K1200GT, 4th Owner,55,480mi. To replace the '85
'96R1100RS,3rd Owner,78,735mi.
'07 650 V-STROM, 2nd Owner, 38,125mi.
07-25-2018, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #1266
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As of JULY-2018,
'85K100RS,Original Owner,DOWN@*200,620*mi
**Parked in the living room, waiting for possible restore**
'03K1200GT, 4th Owner,55,480mi. To replace the '85
'96R1100RS,3rd Owner,78,735mi.
'07 650 V-STROM, 2nd Owner, 38,125mi.
Pictures please,or it didn't happen
07-25-2018, 12:12 PM   #1267
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
ALL cage drivers are "crazy" & a hazard......even more now days with the fart phone stupidity & ifotainment stupid systems in most cages...
Can't agree more on that statement, except I drive usually with my stereo off so I can hear my engine RPMs, cell phone in my pocket on silent, both hands on the wheel (unless shifting gears), and my "infotainment system" consists of an am/fm radio with cassette player anyways haha. I think if more people drove this way there would be much less accidents.

07-25-2018, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #1268
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Can't agree more on that statement, except I drive usually with my stereo off so I can hear my engine RPMs, cell phone in my pocket on silent, both hands on the wheel (unless shifting gears), and my "infotainment system" consists of an am/fm radio with cassette player anyways haha. I think if more people drove this way there would be much less accidents.
Good driving habits. I don't need to listen to RPMs on my Tundra with Tachometer and auto tranny, but I am a two handed driver -- I find it far more comfortable than one handed relying on my ancient muscles on one arm -- and my cell phone has an app installed that shuts it off based on GPS movement when I'm driving. It sends a message back to people that "I'm driving with notifications turned off. I will see your message when I reach my destination" or words to that effect. No temptation at all by the phone.
07-25-2018, 01:11 PM   #1269
Pentaxian

SKYGZR says

" ....as far as a true motorcyclist is concerned (and I'm a true motorcyclist, ie;one who rides year round & just not on the weekends, or during "nice weather"..

I dunno if I agree with you that "a true motorcyclist, ie;one who rides year round & just not on the weekends, or during "nice weather" .

I live on the Canadian prairies where temps go down to -30 for periods of time, winters can last 5 1/2 months....big snow and concrete hard, not slushy ice come in late October, early November and don't melt till late March....on a good year. No one rides during our extreme winters...unless it is a hardy few who go out ice racing on frozen rivers and lakes...or one or two who venture out on Ural sidecar combinations...and then only to say they rode...one time in January....maybe...

To give you an idea of the climate check out the TV show Ice Road Truckers...it's filmed in my province.

From what I understand the weather is much warmer and more forgiving where you hang your hat (helmet) on the... 'Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster. '

I used to ride...still have two motorcycles...a Matchless Scrambler and a 500cc single, Yamaha and my son still rides his BMW GS...electrically heated gloves and suit...till the ice and snow get too arctic.
07-25-2018, 06:56 PM - 3 Likes   #1270

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Pictures please,or it didn't happen
How about these...good enough?

P.S. and to note, yes I ride year round, yet I may be dumb, yet not stupid, so given inclement weather conditions, the motorcycles will stay put & I will join the caged hoardes..
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
CYBERSHOT  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
CYBERSHOT  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
CYBERSHOT  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
CYBERSHOT  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
CYBERSHOT  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
CYBERSHOT  Photo 
07-25-2018, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #1271
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
**Parked in the living room, . . . . . .
The last year or so of college I managed to get a co-signer and bout a 1988 Honda Hawk new, as I couldn't afford a car. I lived in a duplex and the back door came into the dining room. Since I didn't have a table in there, that is where I parked the bike. I laid down a piece of remnant carpet an installer friend of mine gave me to protect the floor.

It got some strange looks when people would come over, but often everyone wanted to sit on it.
07-25-2018, 08:30 PM - 2 Likes   #1272
Veteran Member

Well, since I responded to the motorcyclical comment, I guess I need to show a pic or two of some of my current flock:

The R90/6:

The R100RS:

lesmore, over the years, I've gotten to know quite a few serious riders who live north of the snow line. One thing that they often do, and which I admire them for, is their attention to their machines in the off-season. Many will go totally through their bikes so that, once the snow's melted and the roads are dry, they're ready to get some serious riding done. These guys are just as true motorcyclists as anyone else, in my book. Down here, where I can ride 365 days a year, often my bikes will get somewhat neglected on the preventative maintenance side, cuz I'm riding when I might oughta be wrenching.
07-25-2018, 08:54 PM   #1273

often my bikes will get somewhat neglected on the preventative maintenance side, cuz I'm riding when I might oughta be wrenching.
Hear that...yet since I have three rideable....always have @ least one to ride while maintaining ................

ya got a couple nice "collectable" BMR's....mine are just "run of the mill"...nuth'n special about them.
07-25-2018, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #1274
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The last year or so of college I managed to get a co-signer and bout a 1988 Honda Hawk new, as I couldn't afford a car. I lived in a duplex and the back door came into the dining room. Since I didn't have a table in there, that is where I parked the bike. I laid down a piece of remnant carpet an installer friend of mine gave me to protect the floor.

It got some strange looks when people would come over, but often everyone wanted to sit on it.
I must admit, with a hint of embarrassment, that I did a similar thing many years ago, when I was a single, young man. I built a wooden ramp that I would lay on the bottom rails of the sliding patio doors and and then would push my Yamaha 'Thumper' into the dining room, under the chandelier ... and on the carpeting. To be on the safe side I had a rubber mat under the crankcase...in case any oil dripped down. It didn't because it was a motorcycle made in Japan, which were well known back then to be relatively oil tight.

However, I wouldn't even think of bringing my English twin...a Norton 750cc engined Matchless Scrambler indoors...because many of us know about big English twins and their propensity to leak oil.

I stopped this motorcycle storage practice for two reasons. Number one, as my fiancee ...who upon seeing a bike in the house.... told me that a dining room is a dining room, not a storage shed for motorcycles. We got married shortly after and sold both our abodes to buy a new abode, together.

The second reason was the real estate saleslady. She agreed with my fiancee and said the motorcycle had to be moved, as a motorcycle in a dining room creates buyer resistance.

BTW, I have become a lot more civilized after many decades of marriage, and that change is all to the good.

I've often thought that civilization is but a thin veneer on many younger males and we males should be grateful to the females in our lives, for applying and maintaining that veneer.

---------- Post added 07-25-18 at 11:56 PM ----------

Well, since I responded to the motorcyclical comment, I guess I need to show a pic or two of some of my current flock:

The R90/6:

The R100RS:

lesmore, over the years, I've gotten to know quite a few serious riders who live north of the snow line. One thing that they often do, and which I admire them for, is their attention to their machines in the off-season. Many will go totally through their bikes so that, once the snow's melted and the roads are dry, they're ready to get some serious riding done. These guys are just as true motorcyclists as anyone else, in my book. Down here, where I can ride 365 days a year, often my bikes will get somewhat neglected on the preventative maintenance side, cuz I'm riding when I might oughta be wrenching.
Beautiful bike. Over the years I have desired a BMW boxer twin, like yours.

It all started around 1967 when I was a teenager and saw my first BMW R69s. Then in 1977, I saw my first BMW R90s. It had Swedish plates and the rider stayed at the same bed and breakfast as my wife and I did, in Fort William, Scotland. Funny how I remember these instances after so many years, but they did make an impression on me.
07-26-2018, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #1275
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
BTW, I have become a lot more civilized after many decades of marriage, and that change is all to the good.

I've often thought that civilization is but a thin veneer on many younger males and we males should be grateful to the females in our lives, for applying and maintaining that veneer.

I agree with all that to a point. And the point is when I'm told I must sell my bike(s) . . . and my guitars. Either one is a no-go with me. Fortunately, my wife understands, and puts up with having a garage full of bikes, while we park our cars outside, and a house full of guitars that tend to occupy space that some might think can be better utilized with furniture. Ptui!

QuoteQuote:
It all started around 1967 when I was a teenager and saw my first BMW R69s.
The R69s is kinda what started the allure of the BMW boxer twins for me, too. I've never owned a R6x series, but to this day, in terms of design, I still consider it to be the archetype of the BMW boxer twin. The R69s especially is just such a cool looking machine.