Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2018, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #1276

Photos: Gallery
1987 Totoya Corolla

Like:
- Heat, A/C, Runs, Drives, and most importantly, cheapest possible car to maintain and drive

Dislike:
Carb engine means it's more finnicky, much less comfortable than modern cars, no bluetooth or aux in for audio, poor handling, poor acceleration

....but it's so cheap to drive

07-29-2018, 12:02 PM   #1277
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ManhattanProject Quote
1987 Totoya Corolla

Like:
- Heat, A/C, Runs, Drives, and most importantly, cheapest possible car to maintain and drive

Dislike:
Carb engine means it's more finnicky, much less comfortable than modern cars, no bluetooth or aux in for audio, poor handling, poor acceleration

....but it's so cheap to drive
You live in the rust belt and drive a 1987 vintage car.

Impressive.
07-29-2018, 12:16 PM   #1278
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Since the tires thread is getting a bit de-railed with car speak, I figured I'd start one just for our daily drivers. What car/truck/van/suv do you use as your daily driver? What aspects do you like about it? What don't you like about it? Other information is welcome as well (vehicle design information, general car talk, differences between US/Euro/other versions of same vehicles, etc...).

I currently drive:

2010 Ford Fusion SE 2.5l i4 4 door sedan

What I like:

Space... tons of room. Handling is tight and responsive. Seats are fairly comfortable. Stock stereo is fine. Powered driver seat with height adjust.

What I don't like:

Headlamps aren't the brightest, hard to clean front/rear windshields due to angle, anemic automatic transmission (great for highway cruising, horrible for quick acceleration). 2010 model has several blind spots and is hard to back up/parallel park due to them (if you're short anyway... dunno if being tall helps with this). Has 17" rims (on my car... 16's are an option from dealer) therefore tires cost more.

I find this vehicle to be versatile for passenger hauling and moving things around such as small kayaks. It is my only vehicle and therefore my daily driver. It has TONS of trunk space. Fairly large gas tank for a midsize sedan, so not the cheapest to completely fill up but still cheaper than an SUV, truck, or van. Easy to do basic maintenance such as oil changes, bulb swaps, or spark plug replacement.
I'd love an electric car, but I'm still not certain it would be practical
07-29-2018, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #1279

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You live in the rust belt and drive a 1987 vintage car.

Impressive.
You are no more surprised by this car's continued life than I am myself. It looks pretty good, too, no significant rust.

07-29-2018, 03:13 PM   #1280
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My Grand Marquis is definitely on the cheap to run and fix list..aside from the 18 mpg thing. Oil, gas, and filters and it chugs along. My family has combined ownership of 6 of them now..we are our own car club!
07-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #1281
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

2016 Kia Soul EV

I like it. It's a nice little car to run around in.
07-30-2018, 04:05 PM   #1282
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThomSirveaux Quote
2016 Kia Soul EV

I like it. It's a nice little car to run around in.
What's the range?

07-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #1283
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
What's the range?
"92 miles", though I've pushed that to 115+ by being very light on the gas pedal.
07-30-2018, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #1284
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"92 miles", though I've pushed that to 115+ by being very light on the gas pedal.
That's fine for around town driving. Now that there's no "gas", you'll need a new name for the "gas pedal"!
07-30-2018, 04:55 PM   #1285
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's fine for around town driving. Now that there's no "gas", you'll need a new name for the "gas pedal"!
To borrow from The Simpsons, I have often called the "Acceleratrix". Typically, when talking with non-EVers, "Gad pedal" works just fine :P It's also nice having a bank of 10 L2 chargers at work that they don't make us pay for... the problem is, there are over 50 other EVs that compete, so getting a spot can often be difficult.
07-30-2018, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #1286
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To borrow from The Simpsons, I have often called the "Acceleratrix". Typically, when talking with non-EVers, "Gad pedal" works just fine :P It's also nice having a bank of 10 L2 chargers at work that they don't make us pay for... the problem is, there are over 50 other EVs that compete, so getting a spot can often be difficult.
Nice to have the ability to charge at work. I think, if I had an EV, it would simply be the "go" pedal.
07-30-2018, 06:08 PM   #1287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On a recent stop at a NJ Turnpike rest area I noticed they have a bank of Tesla charging stations.

Chris
07-31-2018, 07:42 AM   #1288
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice to have the ability to charge at work. I think, if I had an EV, it would simply be the "go" pedal.
I've read that many EVs with aggressive regenerative braking (or the option for such) can be driven the vast majority of the time with just one pedal. The brake is only for really hard stops. So most of the time you could just call it "The Pedal".
08-01-2018, 08:38 AM   #1289
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I've read that many EVs with aggressive regenerative braking (or the option for such) can be driven the vast majority of the time with just one pedal. The brake is only for really hard stops. So most of the time you could just call it "The Pedal".
The new Nissan Leaf has a mode where all speed is controlled by The Pedal. The Chevy Bolt has a complicated-sounding system where sometimes you can pull a paddle next to the steering wheel for extra regenerative braking. Nissan's seems more intuitive without trying either.

In a couple of days, my wife's 2015 Mercedes-Benz SLK250 is about to switch from a perfectly reliable car to an expensive money pit mostly parked at the dealer. Because the warranty is up. Many armchair experts have predicted a dark future for us.
08-01-2018, 08:44 AM   #1290
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The new Nissan Leaf has a mode where all speed is controlled by The Pedal. The Chevy Bolt has a complicated-sounding system where sometimes you can pull a paddle next to the steering wheel for extra regenerative braking. Nissan's seems more intuitive without trying either.

In a couple of days, my wife's 2015 Mercedes-Benz SLK250 is about to switch from a perfectly reliable car to an expensive money pit mostly parked at the dealer. Because the warranty is up. Many armchair experts have predicted a dark future for us.
My 1958 220S Ponton went 185,000 miles with no major problems. Maybe you should get an SL 300