Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2018, 02:00 PM   #1366
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Whenever you take 3 West through into BC, we are the first place over the border in BC. A phone call might get you a free coffee!
Sounds great. If we're ever out that way we'll give you a call. I've been a Pentaxian since 1968 and I understand you've have been a Pentaxian even longer. When my wife and I are out and about on trips, I invariably have my Pentax equipment...because I always feel you never know what you're going to see, that would make a nice picture.

Les

09-01-2018, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #1367
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pics of the new ride

09-01-2018, 09:03 PM   #1368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
It's the V-TEC's variable valve timing more than its twin cams that is what really makes that motor shine.
You bet!...In mine at least, (the much maligned d17a2) it's actually an sohc with a reasonably mild cam that runs below 3200rpm and at lower power at higher rpm, but if demand goes above a certain point it will open an oil port and engage pins on a second set of lobes that will supercede the milder ones actually picking the whole valve train up to the high and longer timing in the process turning it into a snarling little beast that wouldn't even idle if the lock didn't let go(which has happened to a few of them when not maintained.)
10-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #1369

I picked up a new ride. I'll get pics after she gets back from the shop. It's a 15 year old Kawasaki ninja 250r. Yeah, it's a beginner bike. But I'm ok with that being a new rider. And after 18 years of wearing Mrs. Rookie down, I'll take the baby ninja with a smile on my face. When the time comes, I'll find my Springer Softail.

10-15-2018, 05:24 PM - 2 Likes   #1370
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Switched from `97 Ford Expedition to a 2019 RAM Rebel Hemi. Went from computers to even more computers...
Rides nice on air bags and with active noise cancellation, very quiet.
Power and handling really good, fuel economy about the same as my old Ford.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
10-15-2018, 05:27 PM   #1371
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RookieGuy Quote
I picked up a new ride. I'll get pics after she gets back from the shop. It's a 15 year old Kawasaki ninja 250r. Yeah, it's a beginner bike. But I'm ok with that being a new rider. And after 18 years of wearing Mrs. Rookie down, I'll take the baby ninja with a smile on my face. When the time comes, I'll find my Springer Softail.
Fun! Kinda looking forward to it. Never really got on two wheels, myself. (Probably not the best idea anyway with my Sun issues, but there was a time I might have worked around it to have transportation at all. Probably meaning, leathers all the time. A friend was trying to get me into a CBR 350, cause he was in and had the help of his CBR club. I guess they had a style of bobbing or removing fairings from beaten-up ones and sorta going for a neo-cafe-racer look and a bunch of Japanese slang and graphics. Coulda been interesting.

Really it was kind of just cause liability insurance was going to be very hard to clear on a four-wheeled vehicle for what I was making. I always wondered how that would have worked out, but I ended up leaving Boston for another, ah, opportunity than I was grinding at at the time.)
10-15-2018, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #1372
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The last time I washed my daily commuter... 2011 Mazda 3.

See the snow in the ground reflected on the door? Yep, that long ago (no snow here in the NorthEast as of yet).

10-15-2018, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #1373
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Switched from `97 Ford Expedition to a 2019 RAM Rebel Hemi. Went from computers to even more computers...
Rides nice on air bags and with active noise cancellation, very quiet.
Power and handling really good, fuel economy about the same as my old Ford.
Oh, is that one of the Rebels I heard about with the Hellcat engine in it, or maybe something more practical?

As computers go I think if I were going to put that kind of money in a vehicle I'd probably be doing a mild restomod on something older, get my high-tech engine management in the form of something like a Haltech and avoid most of the gizmos and vulnerabilities of all this networked stuff. (My experience with fifteen year old computers does not make me optimistic about driving anything that's a rolling Ipad, however impressive they may be now. And, yaknow, that's how old things are when I can buy them, generally. I got a rust-free rear wheel drive Volvo, lots of crate engines can fit in these. )

(Also, Edom, speaking of rust: wash dat undercarriage. Lots. )
10-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #1374
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Oh, is that one of the Rebels I heard about with the Hellcat engine in it, or maybe something more practical?
No, not the in development ? TRX.
Way more affordable( if there is a such a thing when it comes to trucks). I do however like my AT&T Mobile Wi-Fi hot spot that it has.
10-15-2018, 06:24 PM   #1375
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

(Also, Edom, speaking of rust: wash dat undercarriage. Lots. )
Yes! Thankfully, after that wash there was no more salted roads in the city. Soon I'll have to do the undercarriage every other week, if it's really bad winter.
10-15-2018, 08:40 PM   #1376
Veteran Member

No, not the in development ? TRX.
Way more affordable( if there is a such a thing when it comes to trucks). I do however like my AT&T Mobile Wi-Fi hot spot that it has.
Ah. OK. I guess that in-development one is what I heard of, (They called it a Rebel. I kinda believed it with all the excessive trucks around here and thought that was the special name for the factory-ridiculous version. )

Here's my household's little new-to-us-work truck I really haven't done as much as I'd hoped to have by now, yet, but.. various other projects and delays with the house and etc have sidelined a lot. There's a few cases of 'Someone Else's Mods' needing sorting out, still... (I adore these mags but they're on spacers (eek) in the back owing to an axle swap I'd probably prefer to just put back to original, and they may well be the wrong offset for the front, even if this seems to have been a factory wide-wheelbase setup. My thought's to get some winter wheels (ie, narrower and stock) and see how things behave on those. )

GM's odd idea of how controls should feel and be arranged is still pretty prominent. (I dunno if they've been doing better lately, Also Gods know what they were thinking with a non-adjustable throttle cable, but I gotta do something about pedal positions and the fact cables stretch over time. Eventually some gimmicky switch panels are coming out to be replaced with something that makes sense for lights, or just a toggle in a panel, cause damn, those things are both non-intuitiive and wearing out. (And if anyone's wondering by now why we bought this thing, it's because he's a solid little guy with a strong engine that a ) came in well under budget even knowing most of what needed doing and b) Actually was able to be at the same place at the same time with my over-scheduled housemate to not get snapped up before we could arrange a look at it. Definitely putting at least a proper tailpipe on this thing. The big glasspack is fun, but too much at speed. I do need to hear my music on the road.

(Hrm, photo not seeming to load, imagine mid-90's S-10 pickup. )
10-16-2018, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #1377
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Big rig

2009 Dodge Ram 3500 turbo diesel 4WD equipped with welding bed and Lincoln Electric old classic SA 200 blackface welding machine. Payload is 5,000 lbs, with about 2,000 lb. still available after welding bed and welding machine, so just the thing for taking photos on pipeline construction sites even when using the Pentax 67. Right now getting some needed suspension and brake work, but soon ready for my son to start using on the pipeline construction right of way. (These were really just some test shots to try out the fisheye lens, but thought it would be amusing to show my son's new ride. His other car is a tiny blue Prius.)

KIT: 645Z with Arsat 30mm f 3.5 fisheye.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
10-17-2018, 05:02 PM   #1378
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
2009 Dodge Ram 3500 turbo diesel 4WD equipped with welding bed and Lincoln Electric old classic SA 200 blackface welding machine. Payload is 5,000 lbs, with about 2,000 lb. still available after welding bed and welding machine, so just the thing for taking photos on pipeline construction sites even when using the Pentax 67. Right now getting some needed suspension and brake work, but soon ready for my son to start using on the pipeline construction right of way. (These were really just some test shots to try out the fisheye lens, but thought it would be amusing to show my son's new ride. His other car is a tiny blue Prius.)

KIT: 645Z with Arsat 30mm f 3.5 fisheye.
That thing is a beast. What CB antenna is on the other truck?
10-17-2018, 07:43 PM   #1379
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That thing is a beast. What CB antenna is on the other truck?
I don't know the brand but it is a big one with magnetic base so we can stick it up there and take it down when not needed. Its main function has now been taken over by a $2 app on the cell phone which shows everything moving on the highway for 20 miles in every direction.
10-17-2018, 10:54 PM - 4 Likes   #1380
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My Mercury Grand Marquis LS died on I-95 coming out of Jacksonville FL, in September. I got this yesterday. It's a 2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 2WD RWD, more photos to follow but so far I love it and my brother helped me get it by making the down payment on it as a birthday present, which is in December.
So far I've found nothing wrong with it. I bought it at a known dealership here.

The only negative I've heard came from my nephew (he found a sewn place on the front seat) and that was because it wasn't his and he paid more for his 91' Dodge Dakota, than I paid full price for my Jeep.

And why do I love it! I didn't have to put a new windshield in before I could drive it down the road. In fact, i don't have to fix anything on it, or in it, or under the hood, as in engine repair before I drove it home.

Last edited by photolady95; 10-17-2018 at 11:01 PM.