Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2018, 04:59 AM   #1396
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Recently I've noticed some spots of rust just starting to show on my 2003.
This car has always been on Long Island, the last five right by the beach.

In the 1960's one of my an uncles lived somewhere on the Maryland shore.
IIRC my father said he had to buy a new car every few years due to rust-through.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 10-21-2018 at 05:18 AM.
10-21-2018, 11:44 AM   #1397
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Recently I've noticed some spots of rust just starting to show on my 2003.
This car has always been on Long Island, the last five right by the beach.

In the 1960's one of my an uncles lived somewhere on the Maryland shore.
IIRC my father said he had to buy a new car every few years due to rust-through.

Chris

Considering it's a 2003...some rust spots showing up ain't bad for a car that age. But...and not to be the bearer of possibly bad news..some rust spots are indicative of rust developing from the inside out...or it may just be small surface spots. I love on the Canadian prairies, which at one time wasn't too bad with cars getting rusted out. In the '60's I had a '61 VW Beetle (my first car) that seemed pretty rust free. Than I bought my first new car...a '73 Toyota Corolla that rusted through within two years. Within 6 years it was relegated to the farm as a field car...used to run out water, food, fuel , etc...to the combine and tractord while they were working away.

Part of the Toyota's problem, I think was the quality of metal used then in it's body, part of it was that some jurisdictions in my province started using more salt and less plow to clear roadways. A combination of factors I think. But on the other hand, our '76 Chevy Impala, which was bought new in 1975...did rust out eventually...but was used till 1997...21 years....pretty good.

I wish jurisdictions would stop using salt to clear roads. In fact often I hear that they are going to, due to environmental damage, due to the damage to roads, etc and that they have other better, less corrosive products that can be used...albeit more expensive. As far as I know, these better products never actually seem to be used.
10-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #1398
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Salt is used profusely on roads in New York and throughout the Northeast USA.
Between that and the salt air here it's only a matter of time now for my jalopy...

Chris
10-21-2018, 11:24 PM   #1399
Veteran Member

Man, it's amazing how much the climate affects cars when it comes to rust.

of the cars at home the 'newest' one to have any rust is the 1994 wagon. And even that's only because someone was a bit overly excited with the razor when the windscreen was replaced years ago (they took some paint off and didnt seal it)

I assume the salted road thing is to melt snow/ice?

(also unrelated, but does everybody have to have a set of studded tyres/chains for winter? or is snow not that bad to drive on?)

10-22-2018, 02:30 AM   #1400
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
I assume the salted road thing is to melt snow/ice?
Yes.

In some places calcium chloride is sprayed onto the pavement before the freezing weather.

(also unrelated, but does everybody have to have a set of studded tyres/chains for winter? or is snow not that bad to drive on?)
Studded tires aren’t required anywhere, and in some jurisdictions are restricted to certain months. They cause considerable damage to the road surface.

In the Cascade and Rocky Mountain areas traction tires are required during winter months, or chains are required to be carried, and used when posted.

Many of the states in the mountainous areas also require heavy trucks to carry chains in the winter. Fines for failure to carry chains are considerable. When “chains required” signs are posted and truck drivers ignore them, fines are even higher.

Some states, Wyoming for instance, have gates on highway ramps, and the roads are closed when conditions are poor. Again, fines are significant for ignoring posted closures. Wyoming also has areas with variable speed limits for times when the weather requires reduced speed.

I personally never bother with studded tires. On my Subaru and Dodge RamI use a good all season tire.

Chains are a pain, and cause too much damage to the road surface. If conditions are that bad I get off the road.
10-22-2018, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #1401
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The windows on my 2007 Lexus RX350 are branded Asahi. Interesting...
10-22-2018, 03:13 AM   #1402
Veteran Member

wow, interesting to learn.

Being in Aust snow is somewhat of a rarity here, it's really only found on the very top of the taller mountains.
It's unheard of for there to be snow in a built up area (other than the mountains mentioned above)

I'd never actually put much thought into it, and figured that everybody in snow prone areas of the US must have had to keep special tyres for the ice (I figure it would be unreasonable to totally shut down the roads every time there's some snow)

10-22-2018, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #1403
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd never actually put much thought into it, and figured that everybody in snow prone areas of the US must have had to keep special tyres for the ice (I figure it would be unreasonable to totally shut down the roads every time there's some snow)
I think the worst problems come in areas where snow is less common. I live near Washington DC and some winters we get almost no snow, others it'll snow 6 inches/150mm 3-4 times, occasionally more. Most of the time you'll be fine with all season tires. But... it's infrequent enough that people aren't really prepared and there's all kinds of irrational behavior. It'll be snowing and right around freezing and you'll see people in their giant SUVs going 60mph in a 40 zone like nothing was going on, then they end up in the ditch or a telephone pole.

A few years ago it snowed a few inches during a work day in Atlanta where it snows even less than DC. There were stories on the news about large freeways being gridlocked for 12+ hours, with people eventually abandoning their cars, others having to be rescued. If this had been Buffalo or Minneapolis the weather would have been completely unremarkable.

Maybe five years ago when I still drove a Mini I had summer performance tires. With all seasons the Mini was a champ in moderate snow. I figured it was going to be a normal DC winter, barely snow once or twice, it'll be fine. Until the day it started snowing at 4am and I had an 8am meeting I had to get to and I quickly learned that summer performance tires really do have different rubber compounds and traction, and a 10-mile drive with almost no hills became a white-knuckle experience.
10-22-2018, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #1404
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here all-season tires are sufficient in moderate snows on front wheel drive and AWD/4WD vehicles,
presuming roads will be plowed after several inches of accumulation.

When nearly all cars were rear wheel drive one usually had a pair of spare wheels ("rims") with snow tires mounted for the rear.
These were stored in your garage or sometimes in the car's trunk when not in use. Cars and their trunks were bigger then!

Studded snow tires are prohibited in some jurisdictions and depending on season.

Chris
10-22-2018, 08:00 AM - 2 Likes   #1405
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Here all-season tires are sufficient in moderate snows on front wheel drive and AWD/4WD vehicles,
presuming roads will be plowed after several inches of accumulation.

When nearly all cars were rear wheel drive one usually had a pair of spare wheels ("rims") with snow tires mounted for the rear.
These were stored in your garage or sometimes in the car's trunk when not in use. Cars and their trunks were bigger then!

Studded snow tires are prohibited in some jurisdictions and depending on season.

Chris
Here in the Southern Canadian Rockies, studded tires are only allowed from 1 Oct to 31 May. My pickup is fitted with Nokia WGR3 tires year round. They have silica in the tread compound that acts like microscopic studs on ice. They are expensive, but I don't have to have two sets of tires, and I don't have to change over to winter tires/summer tires.

Using really top of the line winter tires (e.g. Michelin X-Ice) is great on ice and snow, but the tires wear extremely quickly on dry pavement. That makes for a really difficult guessing game each fall/spring -- when, exactly, do I change my tires? Putting winters on too soon in the fall eats up a bunch of tread life, and taking them off too late in the spring does the same. On the other hand, running summer/4 season tires too long in summer or switching over too soon in the spring results in bad traction.
10-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #1406
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
My pickup is fitted with Nokia WGR3 tires year round. They have silica in the tread compound that acts like microscopic studs on ice. They are expensive, but I don't have to have two sets of tires, and I don't have to change over to winter tires/summer tires.
Remember sawdust tire? They had sawdust mixed in the tread compound for added traction on snow and ice.

And they wore out quite quickly.
10-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #1407
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, and in Washington studded tires are restricted to November to April 1.
10-22-2018, 12:05 PM   #1408
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Along with the snow tires the storm windows were also stored in the garage.

We would install the storm windows around Halloween.
Sometime in late Spring the screens replaced them.

They all looked the same but they weren't interchangeable.
IIRC every window and screen was numbered in pencil.

So the windows all got washed twice every year.
Good thing there were five kids in my house.
Those storm windows were heavy!

Chris
10-22-2018, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #1409
Pentaxian

I live on the Canadian Prairies. We get a fair amount of snow during our 5 1/2 +/- month winter, temps during the winter plunge down to -25 to 35 C...sometimes a bit colder...mostly around -10 to --20 C.

I do a lot of driving winter and the other three seasons and have All Season tires. Some all seasons are better than others...but when it gets real cold like -30 to -40 C...event the specialized winter tire's softer compounds start to get a bit ineffective. In deep snow I find I tune off the traction control systems as when there is a lot of wheel spin they seem to go into limp mode...just when you're trying to get momentum up to get through some snow drifts.

I do go down some country back roads in winters, always looking for interesting things, wildlife to photograph... but if I see that the snow seems heavy on the road...I will stop the vehicle and check the snow depth, etc...by doing a bit of a walk through. If I determine that the snow is too deep...I will turn around and find another route.

I also carry an emergency kit in a duffel bag. I have some traction bridges which are fold out metal pieces that have heavy steel claws underneath and a heavy metal bridge like surface on the upside, tire traction part. I also carry a small, heavy duty shovel (not a fold out) for digging out if needed. I've got other supplies in the bag which include water supply, energy bars, hunter orange material to attach to the car...visibility in white snow...on car...if the vehicle becomes immobilized. I also carry a HD sleeping bag, HD Sorel Snow boots, an old Carharrt winter insulated jacket , insulated pants a sheepskin 'Mountie' hat and some heavy horsehide, insulated winter mitts. Also a CB/weather portable hand held radio, hunting knife, rope, string, Leatherman multi tool, axe, tarp, empty metal can (melting snow to drinkable water), matches and bush saw.

I've been doing this for years...so far only needed the shovel and traction bars...but in my climate...very cold, snowy...my view is it's better to be safe than sorry. Our son does the same thing, has a similar emergency duffel bag . However his vehicle is much more capable than our sedans. He has a Pro4X Nissan pickup...4 WD, lo/hi transfer case, all terrain truck tires, Dana 44 rear axle with a locker mechanism, high ground clearance, steel skid plates under mechanical components, etc.
10-22-2018, 04:58 PM   #1410
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I live on the Canadian Prairies. We get a fair amount of snow during our 5 1/2 +/- month winter, temps during the winter plunge down to -25 to 35 C...sometimes a bit colder...mostly around -10 to --20 C.

I do a lot of driving winter and the other three seasons and have All Season tires. Some all seasons are better than others...but when it gets real cold like -30 to -40 C...event the specialized winter tire's softer compounds start to get a bit ineffective. In deep snow I find I tune off the traction control systems as when there is a lot of wheel spin they seem to go into limp mode...just when you're trying to get momentum up to get through some snow drifts.

I do go down some country back roads in winters, always looking for interesting things, wildlife to photograph... but if I see that the snow seems heavy on the road...I will stop the vehicle and check the snow depth, etc...by doing a bit of a walk through. If I determine that the snow is too deep...I will turn around and find another route.

I also carry an emergency kit in a duffel bag. I have some traction bridges which are fold out metal pieces that have heavy steel claws underneath and a heavy metal bridge like surface on the upside, tire traction part. I also carry a small, heavy duty shovel (not a fold out) for digging out if needed. I've got other supplies in the bag which include water supply, energy bars, hunter orange material to attach to the car...visibility in white snow...on car...if the vehicle becomes immobilized. I also carry a HD sleeping bag, HD Sorel Snow boots, an old Carharrt winter insulated jacket , insulated pants a sheepskin 'Mountie' hat and some heavy horsehide, insulated winter mitts. Also a CB/weather portable hand held radio, hunting knife, rope, string, Leatherman multi tool, axe, tarp, empty metal can (melting snow to drinkable water), matches and bush saw.

I've been doing this for years...so far only needed the shovel and traction bars...but in my climate...very cold, snowy...my view is it's better to be safe than sorry. Our son does the same thing, has a similar emergency duffel bag . However his vehicle is much more capable than our sedans. He has a Pro4X Nissan pickup...4 WD, lo/hi transfer case, all terrain truck tires, Dana 44 rear axle with a locker mechanism, high ground clearance, steel skid plates under mechanical components, etc.
Nice! Sounds like how I plan to set-up my Rebel.