Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2018, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #1456
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It has a lot of negative camber in the rear. Owners with the V8 models have to really watch the inside shoulders because aggressive acceleration can run those down to cords when the outsides look OK. I have just slightly more visible wear inside, no cupping. The treadwear number is 220. Two rear tires plus mounting and balance are going to be around $400. Mercedes dealers have a proprietary alignment machine that connects directly to your credit card. I tried not to show fear when they told me the alignment charges.

I'd suggest taking it to a good alignment shop and talkign with them.

A good shop will look at the tread wear, and ask you about your driving style etc and then adjust the figures to suit that.

The factory alignment specs are best used as a starting point than the "best" for the car.

No point running a fair bit of camber, which may help during hard cornering, if you spend 95% of the time cruising the highway chewing out the inner shoulder.

11-03-2018, 08:56 AM   #1457
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Jeep is better than ever the Merc was. I can see over things with the Jeep where the Merc, not so much. It was low to the ground, hedges were a problem with the Merc, not with my Jeep. We have a street here that at the end of it, near the river, the property next to the cross street, has hedges on two sides, with the Merc, I couldn't see around those hedges to see if there was traffic coming so I could pull out safely. With the Jeep, that's no problem because I can see over the hedges, and see instantly, whether there is any traffic coming.
And the Jeep didn't need a new windshield before I could even drive it.
11-05-2018, 01:20 PM   #1458
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
My Jeep is better than ever the Merc was. I can see over things with the Jeep where the Merc, not so much. It was low to the ground, hedges were a problem with the Merc, not with my Jeep. We have a street here that at the end of it, near the river, the property next to the cross street, has hedges on two sides, with the Merc, I couldn't see around those hedges to see if there was traffic coming so I could pull out safely. With the Jeep, that's no problem because I can see over the hedges, and see instantly, whether there is any traffic coming.
And the Jeep didn't need a new windshield before I could even drive it.
I don't recall the story of your Merc's windshield. Had trouble sourcing one?
11-05-2018, 01:33 PM - 3 Likes   #1459
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Jeep is better than ever the Merc was. I can see over things with the Jeep where the Merc, not so much. It was low to the ground, hedges were a problem with the Merc, not with my Jeep.
With cars getting bigger and bigger, higher and higher with no end in sight I figure all I have to do is keep driving a sleek, aerodynamic car and before long I'll just be able to look under every other vehicle to see what's coming.

11-05-2018, 02:05 PM   #1460
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
With cars getting bigger and bigger, higher and higher with no end in sight I figure all I have to do is keep driving a sleek, aerodynamic car and before long I'll just be able to look under every other vehicle to see what's coming.
The silly thing is that since I haven't put in the almost-obligatory 'Lower your 7/945 two inches' IPD springs into my old Volvo, I've actually got much better ground clearance than a lot of these crossovers and stuff. You can really get a very nicely-sorted and proven lowering kit for these cars, but mine must be a work vehicle, so I have load-levelers and Bilsteins for the rear and if I trim a bit off some front ones it won't be too much. Maybe half an inch of ride height tops. But that concept waits till the rest is sorted and settled, especially rims and tires.
11-05-2018, 04:59 PM   #1461
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I don't recall the story of your Merc's windshield. Had trouble sourcing one?
No, I bought a new one, from a reputable glass place and had it replaced the same day I called them. You didn't give me a chance to tell anymore about my Merc. When I first said I had one, you came and an started telling me how bad a friends who had one was. I didn't say anymore about it after that. I drove that car for four years, had repairs done to it, until it finally died on me coming out of Jacksonville, FL on my way back home. I sold it to my granddaughter, and this last month my brother helped me buy the Jeep. I'm happy with it, I don't care if other people don't like it, it's mine, and I like it. It looks brand new, and drives brand new.
11-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #1462
Veteran Member

No, I bought a new one, from a reputable glass place and had it replaced the same day I called them. You didn't give me a chance to tell anymore about my Merc. When I first said I had one, you came and an started telling me how bad a friends who had one was. I didn't say anymore about it after that. I drove that car for four years, had repairs done to it, until it finally died on me coming out of Jacksonville, FL on my way back home. I sold it to my granddaughter, and this last month my brother helped me buy the Jeep. I'm happy with it, I don't care if other people don't like it, it's mine, and I like it. It looks brand new, and drives brand new.
What you like's what you like. Those Liberties seem pretty cute, though. I was seeing a number of listings for em when we were 4WD-shopping. (Didn't get down to checking any of em out cause an open-bed-truck was much-preferred for various pickup-truck-type reasons, but there was something of a drought around our price-range there. Which is kind of ironic since of course there were *plenty* of 2wd Cherokees and trucks and the like, which was the opposite of the case when I was vehicle-shopping for myself and kind of expecting to end up in something like that. (Lucked into a Volvo wagon though, so that was all good.) We needed a 4wd, though? All of a sudden all these lovely 2wd trucks and Cherokees out there.

11-06-2018, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #1463
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

From what I've heard the 4wd Liberty's had clear coat peeling paint problems, mine doesn't have that problem. And I didn't need a 4wd vehicle since I don't live where it snows, I don't go out in the woods, or on the beach (salt water) with sinking sand traps. I just needed a better vehicle that would get me where I wanted to go safely, without it breaking down on me every month. And one that was new looking and shiny. That's what I got and it didn't cost all that much either. That was the best part.
11-06-2018, 06:08 PM   #1464
Veteran Member

The silly thing is that since I haven't put in the almost-obligatory 'Lower your 7/945 two inches' IPD springs into my old Volvo, I've actually got much better ground clearance than a lot of these crossovers and stuff. You can really get a very nicely-sorted and proven lowering kit for these cars, but mine must be a work vehicle, so I have load-levelers and Bilsteins for the rear and if I trim a bit off some front ones it won't be too much. Maybe half an inch of ride height tops. But that concept waits till the rest is sorted and settled, especially rims and tires.
We owned a V90 for 11 years -- which shares much of the same body plan as that of the 745/945 cars. It does have independent rear suspension, however, which neither of those cars have. Its ride height was already quite low. We bought it used but the folks who owned it before us were not the types to be putting iPD gear on the car. One of the things I found to be truly impressive about it, with what I assume were stock shocks, was its ability to handle rough roads without the suspension bottoming out. So I was always impressed by the fact that, not only was the ride height pretty low, but that it could handle the whoop-de-doos that many Houston streets have. I miss that car, but I'm still keeping my eyes open for a clean '95 945 turbo.
11-11-2018, 02:13 PM   #1465
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
We owned a V90 for 11 years -- which shares much of the same body plan as that of the 745/945 cars. It does have independent rear suspension, however, which neither of those cars have. Its ride height was already quite low. We bought it used but the folks who owned it before us were not the types to be putting iPD gear on the car. One of the things I found to be truly impressive about it, with what I assume were stock shocks, was its ability to handle rough roads without the suspension bottoming out. So I was always impressed by the fact that, not only was the ride height pretty low, but that it could handle the whoop-de-doos that many Houston streets have. I miss that car, but I'm still keeping my eyes open for a clean '95 945 turbo.
Yeah, the V90 was actually the same car as like a 960 until they went front-wheel drive I guess. The independent rear suspension was an option even on the 940 series at least, but it doesn't seem to be a common one, at least among survivors. (I suppose they may get lower with time that way, they would come with nice Nivomat shocks, anyway, I don't know how many aftermarket choices there even are for replacement, since I don't have that setup,

The current Ratmobile's actually got a V90's airfoil on the back. (I was kinda hoping to get a little extra shade out of that, but it's not much help there apart from one parking space on a steep drive I was using at a time, where it did..., a little. It was kind of a cosmetic upgrade/perhaps marginal bump to clean aerodynamics, mostly seems to mean I use rear wiper more.

I've been pretty impressed even with my live axle and no lows. .You know, for a work wagon with a few suspension and frame support mods.

---------- Post added 11-11-18 at 04:26 PM ----------

From what I've heard the 4wd Liberty's had clear coat peeling paint problems, mine doesn't have that problem. And I didn't need a 4wd vehicle since I don't live where it snows, I don't go out in the woods, or on the beach (salt water) with sinking sand traps. I just needed a better vehicle that would get me where I wanted to go safely, without it breaking down on me every month. And one that was new looking and shiny. That's what I got and it didn't cost all that much either. That was the best part.
Hrm, well, that sometimes varies by color, or maybe if 4wd's came from a different paint shop, but I can also see 4wd's getting more little bits of damage to start peeling just cause of how they may be used. Pays to protect the paint this far South, though, clearly. I've been kinda field-testing various products to that end. Especially all the darn headlight and taillight fogging. Don't have too much definitive yet. Of old standbys the NuFinish stuff in the orange bottle holds up pretty good in this sun, the bog-standard Turtlewax paste wax is not up to it. quality seems to go up from there pricewise in general. There's some interesting spray-on headlight coatings that may not really hold up so well either but don't seem to be doing any harm.

Since it's a Jeep, if you incur any paint damage in later years, you can always get creative with color schemes and finishes without em looking wrong, anyway.
12-08-2018, 04:05 AM   #1466
Veteran Member

So I figure i'll vent here, since you guys/girls/etc are all super nice and it's a good place to do so.

first point, full disclosure, I have been drinking.
Ok, so that's out of the way.

So a few pages back I mentioned that i'd been having issues with the ECU on my MX5 (or Miata to use the North American terminology)

So after battling with the ECU itself, the lack of support from the web, the tuner that while well renowned in the area (seriously, he's supposed to be one of the top 10 in the nation) couldnt manage to get the car runnign well (despite telling me he'd sorted it)
in the end, I simply gave up on it.

The ECU was removed, advertised, and thankfully sold for close enough to what I paid for it. it's someone else's headache now.

After all that annoyance, I decided to think through my plans.
Originally I wanted to put some lumpy cams in the car and do some headwork, and I'd already sorted out a guy to take my spare head and sort it out.

However, since the ECU didnt work out I decided to not bother, since no point having a worked head without an ECU that can run it.

My in between step was to swap my diff for the one in my partner's car, which originally had a Torsen LSD with what I had calculated to be around a 4.7:1 ratio.
I removed the diff, and cracked it open on the bench.
First thing I noticed was that the centre looked odd, it certainly wasnt a Torsen 1 or 2, but wasnt an open diff either.
I then counted the teeth and did the maths and found it was a 4.1:1, which didnt match the speedometer...........
Next up I measured the crown wheel and realised it was a 6in crown, isntead of a 7in....

This all seemed weird.

then I remembered, years ago my partner took her car to a new mechanic shop in town to have the bushes re-done.
they called her and said that the diff had broken when they tried to remove it.... and asked if it was an open or an LSD.
she told them it was an LSD.

What has happened is that they;ve taken out the rather valuable and hard to find 7inch 4.7 Torsen diff, and instead put in the far more common (and rubbish) 4.1 Viscous diff......

So what would have been a $500 diff centre, with a $300 C&P, plus housing etc, was replaced with a $200 rubbish viscous...
Sadly, didnt find that out until the other week, a few years after the work was done, and years after that workshop had shut down due to bad workmanship.

ANYWAY,
all that meant I needed to re-think my plans for my car, since all the stuff i'd originally planned had gone down the toilet.

So my new plan, is that I'll skip the cams and headwork, and instead go turbo.

having had a proper think, i've realised that I still need the car to be behaved for the drive to work, and frankly, grumpy cams cant do that.
Whereas a turbo setup will allow almost factory comfort when not in boost.

As far as legality goes, both turbo and cams are illegal here (well, not illegal, but the process to get them approved is long and expensive) and originally I'd figured cams are easier since they're invisible on a roadside inspection.
But yeah, the turbo is as simple as removing the exhaust and throwing the normal one back on.

So that's my plan.
and also my slightly drunken vent of my ideas.

---------- Post added 08-12-18 at 10:08 PM ----------

I should also say a big sway was driving a friend's turbocharged MX5 now that he's sorted it.

previously i'd only been in older turbo setups where it was pretty much nothing until 4500rpm and then kind of quick after that.

However my friend's one is using newer tech (boost tapers by RPM rather than just wastegate)
which means that he can have early spool, and high boost in the one package.

The fact that his was starting to build pressure by 2000rpm is what swayed me.
that and the fact that by 4000rpm it was pulling really hard.

it only makes an estimated 160kw at the wheels, but since the car weighs maybe 950kg it feels like a lot more.
12-08-2018, 06:26 AM   #1467
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

calling all experts ( and those who are more modest but possibly just as knowledgeable ) for help:

when I bought my new 2015 Audi A 5 in November of '14, it arrived right after Christmas and it came equipped with " summer " tires [ tyres ]

I did some checking [ what the heck are " summer tires " ] and decided to buy a set of " all seasons " tires for the colder months, ( I live in Kansas but regularly go up to Iowa )

so since then, I switch out the tires in the spring and fall.

now at some point in time, I will have to replace the tires and my wife wants me to find out if I need " summer tires " or should I just stick to " all seasons " tires

what say you folks
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-08-2018 at 11:07 AM.
12-08-2018, 06:43 AM   #1468
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Since it's a Jeep, if you incur any paint damage in later years
It isn't paint peeling, it's the clear coating on top of the paint that peels off. The paint is still there. The Merc had that problem too and it wasn't the paint that was gone because it was still there, only a dull looking blue color instead of the shiny dark blue it should have been. From research, I've read that the 4WD had that problem, but like my 2WD, didn't have the clear coat problem. Mine is 12 years old, so if the clear coat was going to peel off, I'm sure it would have done so by now.
12-08-2018, 09:25 AM   #1469
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
now at some point in time, I will have to replace the tires and my wife wants me to find out if I need " summer tires " or should I just stick to " all seasons " tires

what say you folks
Swapping should give you better performance because you're matching the tire to the conditions. All season is a compromise (usually pretty good). But do you really need/want/notice that performance, and what kind of extra performance would you want?

Summer tires have more grip for turns in warm weather and wear out faster. If you like cornering, they are worth it. My wife insists that we should have summer tires on the SLK, because it's a convertible and therefore most fun in the summer.

If you don't always think about maximum cornering grip, you might consider all-season tires in the summer and snow tires in the winter. Snow tires give you a genuine advantage in stopping and cornering in bad weather. It may be more fun to go around a fast corner at 60 instead of 40 in the summer, but snow tires can keep you from wrecking in the winter. Assuming that the A5 has Quattro, snow tires would make it into an awesome winter car when everyone else is in the ditch.
12-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #1470
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
calling all experts ( and those who are more modest but possibly just as knowledgeable ) for help:

when I bought my new 2015 Audi A 5 in November of '14, it arrived in right after Christmas and it came equipped with " summer " tires [ tyres ]

I did some checking [ what the heck are " summer tires " ] and decided to buy a set of " all seasons " tires for the colder months, ( I live in Kansas but regularly go up to Iowa )

so since then, I switch out the tires in the spring and fall.

what say you folks
My choice is Nokian WGR3's at the moment. No change out needed. Sticky thanks to the silica in the tread, but doesn't fall into the being illegal because of studs. I'm getting over 80,000 Km (50,000 mi) for a set of four on my 2002 Tundra that just cleared 300,000 Km (185,00 mi) that doesn't always drive on nice smooth pavement in two wheel drive. I could probably clear 90,000 if I stayed on the smooth roads, particularly with the trailer in tow. The current set is at 50% tread. It's the fourth set I've put on and I'm going into winter 3 with them.

They are the most expensive set of tires you can buy in my wheel size by about C$50 a tire. They are rated snowflake and M+S. They are true winter tires, which we need October through March by law here. We have had about 3 inches (7 cm) of snow recently. It is nicely packed on the road. I'm still in two wheel drive. When the factory Dunlops wore out on the truck when I bought it, a guy with a Jeep (you know - no weight to hold them down) was in the shop and said that they were the stickiest tires he had ever owned.

The PRO's: no spring and fall changeovers. The silica makes them hold on pretty well even on wet ice at 0º C (32º F). We were two months late with snow this year. My friend with X-Ice's has eaten up a whole lot of tread during those two months.

The CON's: Noisier than pure summer tires, a lot pricier than either summer or winter tires by about 25%.

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 12-08-2018 at 09:57 AM.