Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #1621
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Is the world really going to come to an end if I'm driving a Euro-spec Audi S4 Avant with a manual transmission in Maryland? No, and the net joy in the world goes up just a bit.
This.

02-11-2019, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #1622
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I want a shooting brake.
Had to research this term - always greatfull to learn something!
02-11-2019, 12:15 PM - 4 Likes   #1623
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Had to research this term - always greatfull to learn something!
This is the one I want:

Pure Vision | Shooting Brake

Last edited by Racer X 69; 02-11-2019 at 12:25 PM.
02-11-2019, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #1624
Veteran Member

You mean a real one, like a two-door wagon? Jaguar has the XF Shooting Brake, but it's just a wagon with four doors that they don't want to call a wagon for fear of stirring up memories of the Caprice Classic.
I'm actually really mad at Jaguar for corrupting that term right when Americans were starting to learn what it really means.

QuoteQuote:
Here's the root of the problem: Having to homologate every car model and sub-model for the US market and our particular and fussy regulations. They're not any more safe or clean, they're just a little different. With all of the calls for deregulation, here's something I can get behind: just say we'll accept any car that was approved in its home market, probably excepting countries like India that still allow cars that would have been considered terrifying in 1948.

Is the world really going to come to an end if I'm driving a Euro-spec Audi S4 Avant with a manual transmission in Maryland? No, and the net joy in the world goes up just a bit.
Hee. Well, in this case it wasn't anything to do with regulations, just streamlining the marketing, profit margins or something. It's the same car as you could get with a stick for like a decade, they just added side-impact bars, really, and the overseas ones with the stick weren't any different from those that way, either. They were trying to soccer-mom-ify everything too much, too. (maybe while underestimating actual soccer moms in the process, probably definitely and foolishly forgetting the fact that people bought Volvos in America to *not* be like stereotypical American car drivers,) ...They even took a little frame stiffening out to cushy-up the ride, (Which I could conveniently replace with an aftermarket IPD piece rather cheaply, made a huge difference, though.)

Also, big news, I've finally scraped up enough for a used Fuji X20, so I expect actual photography to feature more in my life a while. I haven't been able to lug kit around with most of what else I do for a while, but this little thing should actually be with me more. And hopefully AF for me well when eyesight's sucking.

---------- Post added 02-11-19 at 03:29 PM ----------

This is the one I want:
Groovy. I'd love a '56 Nomad, (Or more likely the Tradesman version, cause Nomads are crazy expensive) pastel two-tone, and with more sensible/old school wheels. You know, maybe 17's or whatever adds up to not-too-ribboney-thin in the tires.

Or I'd actually probably more love a pretty *small* shooting brake, right now. I keep wanting for a project something to deal with my serious jones for three pedals again, so a more reasonable hope might be like a 70's or 80's hatchback. These guys just featured one I used to *have,* same color, even and what I'd probably do with it to start, today, even. Happen to have the link handy.

02-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #1625
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the one I want:

I like the pure weirdness of this, but how the heck do you get in the back seat?
02-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #1626
Veteran Member

I like the pure weirdness of this, but how the heck do you get in the back seat?
The seat-backs fold forward, often on a bit of an angle. (Also, often, when those were built, all the dudes weren't six feet tall or more so those are probably set pretty far back in the photo. Proportionately, that looks like a really long reach to the steering wheel, and I'm like 5'6. )
02-11-2019, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #1627
Pentaxian

This is the one I want:

Very nice '57 Ford wagon. I like it.

My parents had a '58 Ford Ranch wagon, with a 3 on the tree and the 292 Y8 (as Ford called it). It had a nice stock exhaust burble and the manual transmission gave it some good zip, compared to the auto Fordomatic of the time.

I know many prefer the look of the '57 Ford, but I prefer the square T-Bird look of the '58. Over the years I've felt that my folk's old '58 wagon would make a nice street rod...especially with something like a late '60's 428 FE...either regular (345 hp), police interceptor (360 hp) or the '68 Ford CJ 428 FE...@ a purposely modest 335 hp. Wouldn't have to soup it up, as those particular 428's were pretty healthy in stock form. A C6 or a modern overdrive automatic would take care of the transmission.

Being primarily a Chevy guy, I got my love for Ford big blocks from my FIL, who was a western Canadian farmer (prairies) and drove a '66 Meteor (Canada market Mercury look alike) 2 door fastback with the 428 FE...345 hp version. It had tall gears , but once it got to 30-35 mph it could really pick up it's skirts and move quickly. A great highway car, think it had a final drive ratio of 3 to 1, but on that, I'm guessing.

He used to commute back and forth from city to farm (grain) and run it on purple farm gas. You were only to use purple gas in farm vehicles and this big Meteor was no John Deere. He was caught once by the mounties (he liked to cruise at 85-90 mph) and they checked the gas, as they knew he was a farmer. On that case he not only got a speeding ticket, but also a ticket for running farm gas in non farm vehicle. He was ok with it, because as the Mounties say..."Maintiens le Droit. "

He was an interesting man, unfortunately now passed on.

02-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #1628
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Like RML said, the front seat back folds forward, and at an angle toward the center of the car. Hop right in.

Although for me, with every wagon I have owned the rear seat gets laid down, or even removed completely, making the entire rear of the car behind the driver and passenger seat "the back".

My first car was a 1962 Impala Wagon, and everyone always volunteered me to haul the gang around. It only took one evening of a bunch of inconsiderate jerks spilling beer and burning the upholstery with their cigarettes to figure that one out.

No seat, no ride.

In the Impala I could have my girl, a girlfriend of hers, or a buddy of mine and that was it.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 02-11-2019 at 06:28 PM.
02-11-2019, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #1629
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This.
Nope - but German Industrial Production would decline dramatically if the Regs and 25% EU Tariff on US Light Trucks and 10% Tariff on US cars were eliminated.
02-11-2019, 10:00 PM   #1630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niblue Quote
2 of our cars are manuals (a Maza CX-7 and a Ford Fiesta) and 2 are automatics (both Mercedes - an SLK and an A-Class). In the UK most cars are still manuals however there are a few brands where a manual gearbox can effect the resale negatively and Mercedes is one of those. The auto's in the latest Mercedes are very good though.
It is not just the auto transmission, though. In the SLK, you also get stuck with eco-mode every time you start the car. That includes start-stop. Both can be shut off but that has to be done every time. It may be a US model quirk but the only nod to eco-mode our car has is shifting suggestions in the center screen.

When I rent a car with an automatic, I usually accidently knock the shifter sideways into some "sporty" mode. The world does not need automatics in manual drag, or creative shifter designs.
02-12-2019, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #1631
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Nope - but German Industrial Production would decline dramatically if the Regs and 25% EU Tariff on US Light Trucks and 10% Tariff on US cars were eliminated.
I doubt German industrial society would collapse because a pent-up latent demand for Chevy Impalas and Ford F350s.
02-12-2019, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #1632
Veteran Member

Like RML said, the front seat back folds forward, and at an angle toward the center of the car. Hop right in.

Although for me, with every wagon I have owned the rear seat gets laid down, or even removed completely, making the entire rear of the car behind the driver and passenger seat "the back".

My fors car was a 1962 Impala Wagon, and everyone always volunteered me to haul the gang around. It only took one evening of a bunch of inconsiderate jerks spilling beer and burning the upholstery with their cigarettes to figure that one out.

No seat, no ride.

In the Impala I could have my girl, a friend of hers, or a buddy of mine and that was it.
I basically always have the rear seats folded in da Ratmobile, just cause I almost never have passengers back there to need to raise them, ever, except to air them out a bit after a rainy season once in a while.

The way those rear seats fold forward means I kind of intend to cut out most of the padding from the seat bottom on one side, and make a hollow seat base with plywood and keep some tools in there under a flap. I kinda just haven't found a toolbox/kit I like for the purpose yet.
02-12-2019, 02:45 PM - 2 Likes   #1633
Pentaxian

One car I've always admired..unfortunately always from afar...is the early '50's ...'Fabulous'....as it was described by Hudson advertising...Hudson Hornet. It had a 'step down' frame, low centre of gravity, an optional, big cube (308 cubic inches) , flathead, inline six with twin carbs...referred to by Hudson as Twin H power. These cars in the early '50's were very successful in NASCAR stock car racing...primarily because of their torque , HP and low centre of gravity...which made for excellent handling in that era.

When I was very young my dad made a wonderful, toy wooden garage for me and in the garage was a glassed in showroom with two 1950 Hudson Hornets. As a kid I loved those two Hornets...they were fairly big...about 1/18th scale ...accurately detailed metal models.

Never did get the real thing, but have often thought an old Hudson Hornet, with Twin H power on the big six, with a 3 speed manual with overdrive...would be a nice older car to have. The performance might surprise a few .
02-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #1634
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It is not just the auto transmission, though. In the SLK, you also get stuck with eco-mode every time you start the car. That includes start-stop. Both can be shut off but that has to be done every time. It may be a US model quirk but the only nod to eco-mode our car has is shifting suggestions in the center screen.

When I rent a car with an automatic, I usually accidently knock the shifter sideways into some "sporty" mode. The world does not need automatics in manual drag, or creative shifter designs.

I just don't care for excessive automation, myself. I've generally thought one of those 'auto-stick' or flappy paddles would make a nice compromise with my arthritis, compared to something almost totally out of your hands except for the kickdown and all. I've yet to drive any of those but a kind of embryonic one in a rental Eclipse that I could swear wasn't set up for the extra weight of the ragtop. It was kind of more like a suggestion box than manual control, but even so, kinda better than just sticking it in D when I played around. I presume they've gotten better, though. Right now I seem to be doing enough better with the joints in some ways I just want three pedals again, but one of those that works nicer would actually make a certain amount of sense for me. It does seem the good clutches for years had only been coming on things that are more powerful than I need them to be or can expect to afford even when they're twenty years old, though, so who knows.

I'm even less sure about all these dials and menus as in, pretty much don't want. Not to control the car, anyway. Even the stereo, probably, give me a knob or at least a button I can find with my hand and turn without looking at it.
02-12-2019, 05:25 PM   #1635
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Even the stereo,
Voice control has come long ways, kinda like it most of the time...