Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2019, 03:20 AM   #1696
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Kinda cheapens the value of the metal badge a cabbie owns, and so many compete for each year.
Hi Racer

The plate supplier has got your money but you have now lost the value of the plates
In Aus the regulator has done nothing to fight against the non -regulated operators

Dave

03-11-2019, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #1697
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kinda cheapens the value of the metal badge a cabbie owns, and so many compete for each year.

Absolutely. The value of a NY City taxi medallion has dropped significantly.
Thanks to new competition they now sell for but a fraction of their old price.

These new "entrepreneurs" driving skills are far worse than yellow cab drivers.
They are a moving road hazard. Ever see films of traffic in Third World countries?

Chris
03-11-2019, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #1698
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
These new "entrepreneurs" driving skills are far worse than yellow cab drivers.
They are a moving road hazard. Ever see films of traffic in Third World countries?
Yes, it has gotten to the point that anyone with a driver's license and a car can operate a taxi service.

The problem is that they let just about anyone get a driver's license. Given the poor display of driving skills these days by a large majority of people driving it is clear that far too many driver's licenses have been given out in error.
03-11-2019, 07:08 AM   #1699
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks awesome for $3,500.

The $500 you have left should more than cover getting an upholstery shop to fix that seat.

And have money left over for a beer or two. And dinner out.
When it’s clean and the wheels aren’t showing rust it’s a 50/50 car. Looks great from 50 feet away or going by at 50 MPH.

Had to spend money for a spare tire and rim, jack, and PA State vehicle inspection. Later a second set of rims and proper winter capable tires! The Firestone tires on the Vic when I bought it are a very hard tread compound. Great until the temperature goes below 40 F. I covered the seat bottom with a throw rug and strapped an extra cushion to the seat back. Works for me.

---------- Post added 03-11-19 at 10:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
This area has a lot of resettled refugees. When they get around to buying a car, the retired police cruiser is very popular. It is very common to see a woman in traditional Muslim clothing at the wheel of a Crown Vic.
I noticed that in the area around Johnstown and Windber, PA. There is a Muslim Center there, one day I drove by and several retired police Vic’s and Chargers were parked around the building.

03-11-2019, 09:16 AM - 2 Likes   #1700
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, it has gotten to the point that anyone with a driver's license and a car can operate a taxi service.

The problem is that they let just about anyone get a driver's license. Given the poor display of driving skills these days by a large majority of people driving it is clear that far too many driver's licenses have been given out in error.
I spent a couple of years in Germany for NATO, and my observations lead me to believe that at most 1/4 of the North American drivers would pass Germany's parking lot test, let alone their city street test, followed by secondary highway test, followed by Autobahn test.
03-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #1701
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I noticed that in the area around Johnstown and Windber, PA. There is a Muslim Center there, one day I drove by and several retired police Vic’s and Chargers were parked around the building.
Makes some sense, if you're new to a country, what cops drive (and have serviced) may seem like a pretty safe choice.

And various makes and models can get good reputations or followings among any different groups and kinds of groups. (Hec, we've often enough commented on a certain Subaru following even here among Pentaxians. )

My circles of punk rock-affiliated friends had a lot of early 80's Toyotas, mostly Corolla hatches, just cause they were pretty cheap, available, some fun and pretty reliable. I dunno how many of those clutches we changed in those.
03-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #1702
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Makes some sense, if you're new to a country, what cops drive (and have serviced) may seem like a pretty safe choice.
I also makes sense to have a roomy driver's seat when you are wearing a burka, I think.

03-11-2019, 10:00 AM - 3 Likes   #1703
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This will only be "my" car for a week in August, but we're going on vacation to Germany and Austria and... well... for an American there are only so many chances to sample sweet forbidden unicorn fruit. So I splurged a little and reserved a rental for an Audi A6 Avant. If it's that color blue I may just keep driving to some hidden corner of Uzbekistan, never return it, live a life on the run from the law.

03-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #1704
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I also makes sense to have a roomy driver's seat when you are wearing a burka, I think.
Generally where they have to wear *burkas* women aren't allowed to drive anyway. But in places like Saudi Arabia and whatnot, big cars have tended to be be favored for a number of reasons, including that half the family has to use *drivers.*
03-12-2019, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #1705
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok I will play...........

First is the boys (dogs) taxi....Land Rover Freelander II. Perfect vehicle for a trip to the common, or a long distance holiday jaunt. With the full height dog guard they are confined to the rear while our luggage (and their food) sits safely on the fold-down rear seats.

Second is my pride and joy (aka money pit). 2005 Aston Martin DB9. I have owned it for for 9 years but it still has me grinning like a schoolboy when I start it up and drive it.

Last edited by pschlute; 03-12-2019 at 02:29 PM.
03-12-2019, 02:19 PM   #1706
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Ok I will play...........

First is the boys (dogs) taxi....Land Rover Freelander II. Perfect vehicle for a trip to the common, or a long distance holiday jaunt. With the full height dog guard they are confined to the rear while our luggage (and their food) sits safely on the fold-down rear seats.

Second is my pride and joy (aka money pit). 2005 Aston Martin DB9. I have owned it for for 9 years but it still has me grinning like a schoolboy when I start it up and drive it.

My wife and I considered the Freelander in 2004. But out of 15 comparable SUVs it finished 27th in reliability.
03-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #1707
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
My wife and I considered the Freelander in 2004. But out of 15 comparable SUVs it finished 27th in reliability.
The first generation Freelander did have reliability problems. The Freelander II launched in 2006 was much better. This is a 2.2litre turbo diesel 190 bhp made in 2014. I have owned it for three years and have had no problems at all. It has the "Hill descent control" feature which replicates a low ratio gearbox if you take it off road.

ps. 27th out of 15 is some going !!
03-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #1708
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The first generation Freelander did have reliability problems. The Freelander II launched in 2006 was much better. This is a 2.2litre turbo diesel 190 bhp made in 2014. I have owned it for three years and have had no problems at all. It has the "Hill descent control" feature which replicates a low ratio gearbox if you take it off road.

ps. 27th out of 15 is some going !!
That's good to hear, I had read that Jaguar and Land Rover quality had gone up quite a bit since they were bought out by Tata.

Obviously I was joking a bit, but whatever reliability study I'd read (possibly Consumer Reports) had metrics, and the Freelander was as far from 2nd-to-last place as the 2nd-to-last vehicle was from 3rd or 4th. And searching online forums at the time seemed to confirm that.

The Mini I bought around the same time also had poor reliability metrics, but I kept that 11 years and loved it. Looked similar to the one behind your (extremely sweet) Aston, except with a black roof.
03-12-2019, 02:47 PM - 2 Likes   #1709
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
The Mini I bought around the same time also had poor reliability metrics, but I kept that 11 years and loved it. Looked similar to the one behind your (extremely sweet) Aston, except with a black roof.
Ahhhh MINI. When i was a very young boy we had an original Mini as a family car. Years later i owned three of the new MINIs. A Cooper; a Cooper S; and the one hiding in my picture is the last one I owned a John cooper Works Cooper S (with engine tuning and body-kit.). It was such a fun car to drive I absolutely loved it. But with two dogs it was no longer practical and unfortunately had to make way for the LR. I still miss it.......picture here......

03-12-2019, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #1710
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ahhhh MINI. When i was a very young boy we had an original Mini as a family car. Years later i owned three of the new MINIs. A Cooper; a Cooper S; and the one hiding in my picture is the last one I owned a John cooper Works Cooper S (with engine tuning and body-kit.). It was such a fun car to drive I absolutely loved it. But with two dogs it was no longer practical and unfortunately had to make way for the LR. I still miss it.......picture here......
Hi Peter

Well you could have had the dogs in the Mini towed by the Aston ( beautiful car by the way ) for your outings....

Dave