Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2019, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #1816
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I see.

Never seen a 3 cylinder petrol engine before. The engines used for refrigerated semi trailers are 3 cylinder diesels, and Kubota has been using 3 cylinder diesels in riding mowers and compact tractors forever.
BMW three-cylinder engine revealed | Autocar

07-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #1817
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Turbo!

Nice.
07-03-2019, 11:36 PM   #1818
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Had a Dahatsui Charade 5dr that had a 1 ltr 3 cyl motor petrol
Some overnight interstate couriers used them change a couple of timing settings and its a bit quicker and you lost 50 ks a tank but you kept up on the open road

Dave
07-04-2019, 04:04 AM - 2 Likes   #1819
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I learned to drive trucks in the US Army. Two schools, the first taught us how to drive the ubiquitous 10-wheelers: Duece-and-a-halfs and the occasional 5-ton. Second course was tractor-trailer 5-tons. I liked those 5-tons with their big Cummins engines. A few years after I got out, I got a job working for Schlumberger in the oil patch as a wireline operator. We had big cabover 10-wheelers and I had to get a license to drive them. All I had to do was pass the written test, which was a good deal more involved than the standard test, but not really hard, and then one of our engineers had me do a road test with one of our trucks for the driver's test. Piece of cake. Pretty easy to get the CDL back then, and that was California in 1978. I wonder what one has to do now.
My 21-year-old stepdaughter just completed truck driving advanced individual training at Fort Leonard Wood, enjoyed it immensely and finished as their honor graduate. She tells me that after learning how to back a long military semi into a loading dock, the rest was a piece of cake! Attached photo is out of uniform after returning home from 6-month active duty training. She is going for 100-mile convoy with her reserve unit this weekend--in uniform as a PFC, of course.

Attached Images

07-04-2019, 11:43 PM   #1820
Veteran Member

Congrats to your daughter! Yeah, once you get the hang out of backing, you're over the hard part, for sure. Like your daughter, I received two accelerated promotions when I was in AIT, and graduated as a PFC. I took my training at Ft Ord, California -- a very picturesque fort along the Central California Coast. Sadly, it doesn't exist anymore and much of it has been converted to a Cal State University campus. But there were some great routes through the hills of the fort. I wish I would have had something as interesting as your daughter's convoy when I was at my permanent duty station. My high point there was when I spent the month of January one year at Ft. Wainright in Alaska, as my division was conducting winter war games up there. Driving all over those ice roads in duece-and-a-halfs was, ahem, interesting.
07-05-2019, 04:49 AM   #1821
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Congrats to your daughter! Yeah, once you get the hang out of backing, you're over the hard part, for sure. Like your daughter, I received two accelerated promotions when I was in AIT, and graduated as a PFC. I took my training at Ft Ord, California -- a very picturesque fort along the Central California Coast. Sadly, it doesn't exist anymore and much of it has been converted to a Cal State University campus. But there were some great routes through the hills of the fort. I wish I would have had something as interesting as your daughter's convoy when I was at my permanent duty station. My high point there was when I spent the month of January one year at Ft. Wainright in Alaska, as my division was conducting winter war games up there. Driving all over those ice roads in duece-and-a-halfs was, ahem, interesting.
Nice to hear your military experiences. My 3-year hitch was in artillery. God bless all those who care enough to contribute to our nation's security!
07-05-2019, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #1822
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Had a Dahatsui Charade 5dr that had a 1 ltr 3 cyl motor petrol.
That has to be either the worst or most honest name for a car in history.

cha·rade - /SHəˈrād/ - noun - an absurd pretense intended to create a pleasant or respectable appearance.

07-05-2019, 07:33 AM - 3 Likes   #1823
Pentaxian

Toyota Pious (sorry Prius)
07-05-2019, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #1824
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see.

Never seen a 3 cylinder petrol engine before. The engines used for refrigerated semi trailers are 3 cylinder diesels, and Kubota has been using 3 cylinder diesels in riding mowers and compact tractors forever.
Same engine in the Mini Cooper Hardtop (and most non-S Mini vehicles). and i8 hybrid Supercar. .
07-05-2019, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #1825
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Same engine in the Mini Cooper Hardtop (and most non-S Mini vehicles). and i8 hybrid Supercar. .
So now we see what happens when Racer has been out of the business for 12 years.

He falls far behind the latest trends in automotive technologies.
07-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #1826
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote

cha·rade - /SHəˈrād/ - noun - an absurd pretense intended to create a pleasant or respectable appearance.
Hi Thor

Yes some car model names 'are a bit .......well open for discussion
The Charade was seen as a' pretend' car..

It was pedestrian when new ( in Aus spec ) after the re-tune it just drove better.
I went to England in 2001 and was passed by a couple on the motorway there..( that was a surprize ).

Dave
07-05-2019, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #1827
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Thor

Yes some car model names 'are a bit .......well open for discussion
The Charade was seen as a' pretend' car..

It was pedestrian when new ( in Aus spec ) after the re-tune it just drove better.
I went to England in 2001 and was passed by a couple on the motorway there..( that was a surprize ).

Dave
How about the Ford Probe?

Now there is a name for a car.

Just be careful that you don't let one get behind you.

It may just "probe" places you would rather it didn't, eh?
07-05-2019, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #1828
Pentaxian

Does anyone outside of Europe get the Skoda Superb?
To be fair it’s not a bad car but that name is a bit of an exaggeration!
07-05-2019, 12:05 PM   #1829
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Does anyone outside of Europe get the Skoda Superb?
To be fair it’s not a bad car but that name is a bit of an exaggeration!
We don't even have the Skoda make in the US, unless some misguided soul has chosen to import one here.
07-05-2019, 12:47 PM   #1830
Pentaxian

I see.

The car I drive, a Mitsubishi Mirage has a 3 cylinder engine