Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2019, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #1966
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the interesting permutations that some XS650 owners have done -- me included -- is to have the crankshaft retimed. Stock, it's the same as the Brit twins -- 360 degrees, namely both pistons ride up and down together, alternating the power strokes. This design gives the Brit twin its iconic shake, which some find annoying. Me, with my first XS650, I was so concerned about the vibration it produced, I seldom wound the engine past 4500 rpm. It wasn't until much later that I began to experiment with it, winding it out tighter, and I discovered that, at higher rpm levels it was an entirely different bike. It was transformed into a real fire breather. But the idea of retiming the crank appealed to me, so I had it done to my cafe project's crank -- retiming it to 277 degrees. Ideal would be 270 degrees, which would give the bike a similar sound and feel as a Ducati or Moto Guzzi, both of which have 270 degree cranks. But 277 is close enough. It is acheived by separating the crank and then rotating one cyiinder a number of splines -- 13 I think -- then reassembling it. Of course, this means that the camshaft has to be reground for 277 degrees, as well as the ignition. It should make for a nice touch with my cafe project, I think. There's no real gain in power, but the power is more accessible because of the greatly reduced vibration.

Getting away from a 360 degree crank is even something that Triumph has done with some of its recent twin models -- they have 270 degree cranks.

08-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #1967
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
I'm on my second Saab now. Stage 1 tuned 2005 9-5 Aero with just over 200,000 miles (324,000kms).
Why it's just barely broken in then.
08-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #1968
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Why it's just barely broken in then.
Exactly!
08-24-2019, 01:14 PM   #1969
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
One of the interesting permutations that some XS650 owners have done -- me included -- is to have the crankshaft retimed. Stock, it's the same as the Brit twins -- 360 degrees, namely both pistons ride up and down together, alternating the power strokes. This design gives the Brit twin its iconic shake, which some find annoying. Me, with my first XS650, I was so concerned about the vibration it produced, I seldom wound the engine past 4500 rpm. It wasn't until much later that I began to experiment with it, winding it out tighter, and I discovered that, at higher rpm levels it was an entirely different bike. It was transformed into a real fire breather. But the idea of retiming the crank appealed to me, so I had it done to my cafe project's crank -- retiming it to 277 degrees. Ideal would be 270 degrees, which would give the bike a similar sound and feel as a Ducati or Moto Guzzi, both of which have 270 degree cranks. But 277 is close enough. It is acheived by separating the crank and then rotating one cyiinder a number of splines -- 13 I think -- then reassembling it. Of course, this means that the camshaft has to be reground for 277 degrees, as well as the ignition. It should make for a nice touch with my cafe project, I think. There's no real gain in power, but the power is more accessible because of the greatly reduced vibration.

Getting away from a 360 degree crank is even something that Triumph has done with some of its recent twin models -- they have 270 degree cranks.
Think the 270 crank seems to be the way to go. I know Yamaha on some of their modern engines seem to favour it.

I've truly never been a fan of engine vibration, but on the other hand I've never been able to figure out why I chose the two motorcycles I did, as they happen to have two of the most vibratin' engines in motorcycledom ?

As you know the old Yamaha 500 single and Norton 750 Atlas will vibrate your fillings out, if you give them half the chance. My 500 single will vibrate itself backwards across a cement floor, if I up the revs a bit from idle.

On the other hand, my son has a newer BMW F series (G/S) with the 800cc parallel twin and 360 crank...but it's vibration isn't bad at all...and I figure that's because it has a balancer.

One of our cars...a 2007 Buick LaCrosse with the old 90 degree Buick 3800cc (3.8 liter) V6 has a balance shaft. I understand Buick put the 'shaft' into the 3800 V-6 to solve secondary vibrations due to noise, vibration, harshness issues.

I recall reading that a big wig at AMC (it was used in the Jeep for awhile, called the Dauntless ) said, after Buick bought back their rights to the Buick 90 degree V6 back in the '70's, that the Buick engine was strong and powerful, but was 'rough as a cob'. My iteration (final version) of the Buick 90 degree V6...is very smooth, no noticeable vibration and climbs quickly from low rpm to it's 6000 rpm (actually 5900 I think) redline...quickly and with a nice, muted (muted...it is a Buick after all ) roar @ higher rpm.

Amazing what a 270 crank, balancer or balance shaft can do with an engine to quell vibration.

I've always liked the cafe racer look. A buddy back in 1980 also had an SR 500 and he made it into a cafe racer. Mild elongation bikini fairing, rear sets, clip on bars, White Bros. megaphone style exhaust pipe with Supertrapp muffler discs. A long time ago, so my memory maybe off, but think that was what he did...also a K& N filter. I rode it a few times, liked it, although with the clip on bars I found hard on my wrists/forearms if I rode for any length of time.

I bet your 650 cafe racer has a nice look to it.

08-25-2019, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #1970
Veteran Member

Well, I hope it will look nice, but more importantly, I want it to be somewhat comfortable when I ride it. I'm too old with a load of back problems to try and go with rear sets and clip ons. So, instead I'm keeping the stock pegs and I plan on a low profile set of bars. This will give me somewhat of a front leaning position, which I actually find comfortable.

My 650 cafe has an XS750 (roadster, not Special) fuel tank. I chose it because it has that long look and because it's a whole lot cheaper than a custom tank. It has your traditional cafe bum-stop seat. No rear pegs. The engine has a high compression 750cc kit, a performance cam, and Mikuni roundslides. I ported and polished the head. For exhaust, I plan to go with 2-into-2 shorty reverse megaphone silencers. I have a small fairing that covers the headlight and instrument cluster that I may use. Haven't made my mind up about it yet.

Here's an XS650 cafe with an XS750 tank. It has "the look." Mine will end up looking something like this, except no clip-ons or rear sets.

The Buick 3.8L V6 has a great reputation, you know. Especially the one that came in the Turbo Regal and Grand National. Those can be some seriously fast cars. I saw a fellow at a Saturday open day at Pomona Drag Strip, driving a ratty old Turbo Regal with an auto trans, but a huge honking turbo hanging off the side of its engine, doing 10 second 1/4 mile times. Unbelievable.
08-25-2019, 02:58 PM   #1971
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Well, I hope it will look nice, but more importantly, I want it to be somewhat comfortable when I ride it. I'm too old with a load of back problems to try and go with rear sets and clip ons. So, instead I'm keeping the stock pegs and I plan on a low profile set of bars. This will give me somewhat of a front leaning position, which I actually find comfortable.

I know what you mean, about advancing age and pain. :

My 650 cafe has an XS750 (roadster, not Special) fuel tank. I chose it because it has that long look and because it's a whole lot cheaper than a custom tank. It has your traditional cafe bum-stop seat. No rear pegs. The engine has a high compression 750cc kit, a performance cam, and Mikuni roundslides. I ported and polished the head. For exhaust, I plan to go with 2-into-2 shorty reverse megaphone silencers. I have a small fairing that covers the headlight and instrument cluster that I may use. Haven't made my mind up about it yet.

Here's an XS650 cafe with an XS750 tank. It has "the look." Mine will end up looking something like this, except no clip-ons or rear sets.

I like the look of that Cafe Racer. You've done some very nice hot rodding work on your Yamaha twin. Bet it can provide some nice thrills with the work you've done on the engine. My 500 single is stock, (except for the K & N filter) and I've felt over the years it could stand some extra zip with a few hop up ideas.

The Buick 3.8L V6 has a great reputation, you know. Especially the one that came in the Turbo Regal and Grand National. Those can be some seriously fast cars. I saw a fellow at a Saturday open day at Pomona Drag Strip, driving a ratty old Turbo Regal with an auto trans, but a huge honking turbo hanging off the side of its engine, doing 10 second 1/4 mile times. Unbelievable.
That Buick 90 degree V6 had been around since the early '60's in different permutations, until GM killed it in 2009, unfortunately. May sound a bit crazy but one of the prime reasons I bought the Buick new, in '07 was because it was a 6 passenger sedan, had those nice comfortable Buick Luxo seats and all that extra sound deadening ( I like comfort ) , but especially because it had the 90 degree Buick 3.8 liter V6. Very solid car and the engine has run flawless, now for 12 years. It has strong low and mid range torque for it's displacement. It won't run 1/4's like a GNX.....but it does move almost two tons of Buick pretty good.
08-25-2019, 04:23 PM   #1972
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I forgot to check back and add my list of cars:
Saab 99 - maybe 1976? Technically I bought it for a week but the dealer returned my money when repairs they agreed to do ended up too costly for them.
1978 Chevy Nova 2 door - 305 automatic, decent car, bad paint, uncomfortable seats.
1991 Isuzu Stylus - a different body on a Geo Storm.
2002 Nissan Frontier XE - current, probably keep it for a while, just about to spend big on new shocks

My wife hasn't owned many cars either:
1980 VW Rabbit
1981 VW Rabbit replacement after rollover crash in first car
1987 Nissan Sentra
2001 Mazda Miata (still have)
2015 Mercedes-Benz SLK250

Since that list is kind of boring, here's a video on wheel repair and tire change, old school:

That guy has a lot of interesting videos on building and repairing wagons, or making tools to do it.

08-25-2019, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #1973
Veteran Member

OK, I have a 2019 Chevy Trax. I was in the market for the Equinox but decided on the smaller Trax to save myself 10 grand. The Trax is loaded with all the feature the Equinox had except the extra space.

I found that the Trax has a lot of blind spots, this would be my major gripe, but other than that it has been a decent vehicle for me so far.

08-26-2019, 03:34 PM   #1974
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I need to dig up old pictures of my rides...
08-27-2019, 09:04 PM   #1975
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
OK, I have a 2019 Chevy Trax. I was in the market for the Equinox but decided on the smaller Trax to save myself 10 grand. The Trax is loaded with all the feature the Equinox had except the extra space.

I found that the Trax has a lot of blind spots, this would be my major gripe, but other than that it has been a decent vehicle for me so far.
The Trax is interesting in a global economy/car manufacturing/marketing way. Underneath, it's a Sonic, with the 1.4l turbo available as an upgrade on the Sonic. The Trax is made in South Korea, Mexico, Shanghai and Uzbekistan! GM could probably stop making Sonics in Michigan and switch to the Trax instead.

Blind spots are now an artifact of adding structure for collision survivability. A quick demonstration is to sit in the drivers seat of any new car, open the window and try to rest your arm on the sill. They've pushed the sill up to make room for door structure and airbags. The A-pillar is typically very wide for the same reason. Modern glass construction make the windows look a lot bigger from the outside than inside. Add in a forest of headrests in the interior and stuff behind the rearview mirror and you really want more than just a backup cam.
08-27-2019, 11:32 PM   #1976
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Blind spots are now an artifact of adding structure for collision survivability.

Well then automakers need to do better.
Today's passenger vehicles are dreadful in terms of visibility for the driver.
I'd like to be able to confirm with my own eyes what multiple sensors may or may not indicate.

Chris
08-28-2019, 12:09 AM - 1 Like   #1977
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Well then automakers need to do better.
Today's passenger vehicles are dreadful in terms of visibility for the driver.
I'd like to be able to confirm with my own eyes what multiple sensors may or may not indicate.

Chris
Its getting closer and closer to fully autonomous cars
Get rid of manual trans and they are almost there
Drive as much as we can because can't is around the corner

Dave
08-28-2019, 12:18 AM - 1 Like   #1978
dbs
Pentaxian

Cars ive owned..mm...

Ford Cortina 1965 ( peace light ) model
Toyota Corona 1972 model
Holden HD panel van 1966
Chrysler CL panel van 197 ?
Morris mini 1966
Ford Landau 351 197?
Holden HQ Monaro 308 1972 ?
Nissan Pintara 197?
Toyota Camry 1999
Toyota Hilux 4dr 2007
Dodge ute 1972
Datsun 1600 197?

I think thats all

Dave
08-28-2019, 10:24 AM   #1979
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote

Dave
I have the sinking feeling your are right.
08-28-2019, 11:47 AM - 3 Likes   #1980
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote

Dave
Your post brought this to mind