Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2020, 01:59 PM   #2041
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
That's like electric car range, unless the gas tank is huge!
33 gallon or almost 125 liter tank, biggest one available in a `19 Rebel 4X4.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 01-14-2020 at 02:05 PM.
02-18-2020, 07:48 PM   #2042
Veteran Member

For about five years, my daily driver was a 2011 Chevy Impala LT. It was absolutely the most reliable car I've ever owned. In the five years I had it, there was not one major repair—not one. Sadly, that came to an end at noon on Sunday, 15 December when a drunk driver, who admitted to texting at the time, rear-ended the vehicle behind me, propelling into the back of the Impala. Thankfully, no one was hurt. Even though the car was still drivable, the insurance company called it a total loss and gave me a surprisingly generous settlement so I went car shopping. Two days later, I ended up behind the wheel of a 2013 Buick LaCrosse. I've had it almost exactly two months so I cannot yet speak to its long-term reliability but there's plenty to like about it as well as a few things not to like. The car is a hybid, although there is exterior badging to indicate that. It's kind of a strange setup in which the electric motors supplement the power of the anemic little four-banger under the hood instead of working to get better gas mileage. But that's not to say the mileage is exactly bad. It'll do about 27 or so around town and the one long road tip I've taken, it delivered 37 mpg. It's power is adequate but not outstanding; still, it's pretty enjoyable to drive. It's nicely appointed inside and has almost as many high-tech gadgets than the Starship Enterprise—touch screen controls, backup camera, head-up display that projects the speedometer and compass heading onto the windshield, etc. It has more rear seat legroom than the Impala but it is at the expense of trunk space, which the Impala had in spades and is further reduced by the auxiliary battery pack. One really odd thing is the car had no spare tire from the factory. Instead it had an air compressor with an integrated bottle of fix-a-flat that had expired in 2018. I say 'had' because I rectified that situation and bought a spare and a jack to go in the spare tire well. All the LaCrosse hybrids came with the compressor and it was an option on the V6 models. Oddly enough the thing I most miss from the Impala, which I had had other GM cars as well, is the flip-down sunglasses holder on the overhead console. It's such a simple yet useful thing. All in all, I'm really enjoying the LaCrosse, despite its minor shortcomings.

Last edited by E-man; 02-18-2020 at 07:53 PM.
02-18-2020, 08:34 PM   #2043
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
For about five years, my daily driver was a 2011 Chevy Impala LT. It was absolutely the most reliable car I've ever owned. In the five years I had it, there was not one major repair—not one. Sadly, that came to an end at noon on Sunday, 15 December when a drunk driver, who admitted to texting at the time, rear-ended the vehicle behind me, propelling into the back of the Impala. Thankfully, no one was hurt. Even though the car was still drivable, the insurance company called it a total loss and gave me a surprisingly generous settlement so I went car shopping. Two days later, I ended up behind the wheel of a 2013 Buick LaCrosse. I've had it almost exactly two months so I cannot yet speak to its long-term reliability but there's plenty to like about it as well as a few things not to like. The car is a hybid, although there is exterior badging to indicate that. It's kind of a strange setup in which the electric motors supplement the power of the anemic little four-banger under the hood instead of working to get better gas mileage. But that's not to say the mileage is exactly bad. It'll do about 27 or so around town and the one long road tip I've taken, it delivered 37 mpg. It's power is adequate but not outstanding; still, it's pretty enjoyable to drive. It's nicely appointed inside and has almost as many high-tech gadgets than the Starship Enterprise—touch screen controls, backup camera, head-up display that projects the speedometer and compass heading onto the windshield, etc. It has more rear seat legroom than the Impala but it is at the expense of trunk space, which the Impala had in spades and is further reduced by the auxiliary battery pack. One really odd thing is the car had no spare tire from the factory. Instead it had an air compressor with an integrated bottle of fix-a-flat that had expired in 2018. I say 'had' because I rectified that situation and bought a spare and a jack to go in the spare tire well. All the LaCrosse hybrids came with the compressor and it was an option on the V6 models. Oddly enough the thing I most miss from the Impala, which I had had other GM cars as well, is the flip-down sunglasses holder on the overhead console. It's such a simple yet useful thing. All in all, I'm really enjoying the LaCrosse, despite its minor shortcomings.
Both great cars.

We had a 2015 Impala LT with the 305 hp, DOHC 3.6 liter V6 and a 2007 Buick Lacrosse with th3 90 degree, 3.8 liter OHV V6. Both great cars, but we traded them in on a 2020 Chevy Traverse AWD with the 310 HP , 3.6 liter V6...so far the Traverse has been great, but we were sad to see the Impala and Lacrosse go.

Both our Impala and Buick were incredibly reliable and relatively quick cars.
02-19-2020, 11:30 AM   #2044
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
They say 140hp but they are extremely shy horses.
Shetland pony horsepower.

My Dodge Ram with the Cummins has 245 horsepower.

Draft horsepower.

505 ft lbs of torque.

02-19-2020, 01:11 PM   #2045
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My car also has no spare wheel, but has a can of sealant and a compressor. Feels a little ... odd, not having an actual spare.
02-19-2020, 02:04 PM - 2 Likes   #2046
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
My car also has no spare wheel, but has a can of sealant and a compressor. Feels a little ... odd, not having an actual spare.
OK if you run over a nail,but if you shred a tyre you’re scuppered.
02-19-2020, 02:54 PM   #2047
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep. Then it’s the rescue service.

02-19-2020, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #2048
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I remember a few years go when my dad bought a new car where the spare tire was an option instead of included and grumbled over the extra charge. His newest car I think doesn't even have a spare as an option. Not sure if he ever bought one or just has the sealant. Think it might have "runflat" tires at least, but I'd still prefer a spare.
02-19-2020, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #2049
Pentaxian

My BMW has run flat tyres and I'm dreading the day I have to use them.
02-19-2020, 06:49 PM   #2050
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
OK if you run over a nail,but if you shred a tyre you’re scuppered.
I drove a Mini Cooper S with run flats for many years. After a while I traded them in for regular tires, and I stuck a can of fix-a-flat in the boot. I would regularly go to/through southeast DC to DC United soccer matches. Not the greatest part of the city. I told my buddy that if we ever got a flat we were just setting it on fire and running like hell. Luckily it never came to that.
02-20-2020, 12:36 AM   #2051
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you phone AAA when you have a flat tire they now ask if you have a spare.
I can't imagine their road service providers have spares to fit every vehicle...

Chris
02-20-2020, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #2052
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I drove a Mini Cooper S with run flats for many years. .
I had three MINI Coopers. A Cooper, then a Cooper S, then a JCW S. The latter i specced up with "super-sports" suspension. It handled superbly, but with the run-flats was a very hard ride.

I had my suspicions that "super-sports" suspension meant they welded the wheels to the body
02-20-2020, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #2053
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I had three MINI Coopers. A Cooper, then a Cooper S, then a JCW S. The latter i specced up with "super-sports" suspension. It handled superbly, but with the run-flats was a very hard ride.

I had my suspicions that "super-sports" suspension meant they welded the wheels to the body
Back around 1970 I got a ride with a guy who was an ice racer, which is popular in my part of Canada during the long winters. Take a tractor with plow and the track itself can be made with whatever amount of tight corners, horseshoe bends, short straights that can be desired. No deeply cambered corners will be carved into the frozen surface though...as you may break through the ice.

The track is usually made on a frozen lake...which out here...the home of the TV show 'Ice Road Truckers' is in abundance during our long, hard winters.

The driver in question back then, was driving an Austin Mini Cooper 1275cc and I recall flying around the corners at breakneck speed. I've never been so low in a car and I recall thinking the Cooper was not much higher than a go cart and it seemed to me to exhibit no discernible body roll, in even the hardest of corners.

It was the only car where I found my hand involuntarily slam the dashboard...a response triggered by the impending doom I felt as he barreled into the first corner without lifting off the gas pedal.

It was certainly not the same in my father's Oldsmobile.
02-20-2020, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #2054
Veteran Member

It is now about one year I sold my Audi A6. Since than I only use carsharing. It is a bit more expensive and less comfortable but I realized that my car was standing a lot and it is ecological bs to produce a car and having it standing around.
Last year I travelled about 4000km by bike. Never felt better in my life! For businesstrips I do not need my own car either.
02-20-2020, 02:10 PM   #2055
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote

I think that is the same philosophy that Abarth had with the Koni setup on my Competizione - great on track, but you're in danger of loosing the fillings in your teeth on the daily commute