Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2020, 02:25 PM - 2 Likes   #2056
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crossed-up Quote
I think that is the same philosophy that Abarth had with the Koni setup on my Competizione - great on track, but you're in danger of loosing the fillings in your teeth on the daily commute

My old JCW MINI ....still miss it

02-21-2020, 06:22 AM   #2057
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I loved my MINI Cooper S. So much fun to toss around. But it was 11 years old, and my kids just got too big for the back seat. I swear that one day I'll have an old Austin or similar Mini.

---------- Post added 02-21-20 at 08:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by crossed-up Quote
I think that is the same philosophy that Abarth had with the Koni setup on my Competizione - great on track, but you're in danger of loosing the fillings in your teeth on the daily commute
If we lived in a world where the only choices were Mini/Abarth suspension, or the floaty, vague, 30-degree-of-body-roll suspension on every American car made circa 1970, I'll get get new fillings.
02-21-2020, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #2058
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I loved my MINI Cooper S. So much fun to toss around. But it was 11 years old, and my kids just got too big for the back seat. I swear that one day I'll have an old Austin or similar Mini.[COLOR="Silver"]
Project Binky! But you already have a project...
02-21-2020, 12:47 PM   #2059
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I loved my MINI Cooper S. So much fun to toss around. But it was 11 years old, and my kids just got too big for the back seat. I swear that one day I'll have an old Austin or similar Mini.

---------- Post added 02-21-20 at 08:24 AM ----------

If we lived in a world where the only choices were Mini/Abarth suspension, or the floaty, vague, 30-degree-of-body-roll suspension on every American car made circa 1970, I'll get get new fillings.

I wouldn't automatically dismiss all American cars circa 1970 as having floaty, vague, 30 degree of body roll suspension.

There were some pretty good handling large American cars back then. Chevy offered a low cost option the F41 (memory remembers the option code ) which consisted of HD shocks, front and rear antiroll bars, etc...which made a significant difference in handling. Back then they also had police packages. Common ones from Mopar, GM and Ford offered heavy duty suspension parts, larger brakes, bigger cooling systems, etc...as part of their police package. For example Mopar offered 440 cube V8/ 375 hp highway interceptor and it came with the police package which included HD suspension components, HD cooling system... for the engine, transmission coolers and in many cases steering coolers. These were serious cars...well able to chase down a lot of American and dare I say it...Imported performance cars. Maybe not extreme Euro supercars...but then the police radio would get them...you can't outrun a radio transmission.

And yep...if you knew a friendly salesman back then and knew the right option codes o pick you could get a police package or something very similar in all the Big 3...Mopar, Ford and Chevy.

02-21-2020, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #2060
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I can see why you miss it. I considered a Cooper of some description when I was looking at cars a couple of years ago. It was the Abarth 124 Spider that actually sparked my interest in even looking at new cars, particularly because I have an original 124 Spider. But I just couldn't reconcile the 'rebadged MX5' element of it (the same reason that Alfa rejected it, and it became a Fiat), and it was no more practical than my other cars it was supposed to be replacing/supplementing. So I started to consider other options, and the little 595 Competizione just appealed to me more than anything else, and was quite a bit cheaper!

My 124 Abarth 'replica' - engine currently in bits!

595 Competizione

Regarding floaty softly suspended cars - they're a great way to learn about the importance of the smooth transition between driver control inputs and dynamic weight transfer

Last edited by crossed-up; 04-08-2020 at 10:41 AM. Reason: 595 typo
02-21-2020, 03:14 PM   #2061
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I wouldn't automatically dismiss all American cars circa 1970 as having floaty, vague, 30 degree of body roll suspension.

There were some pretty good handling large American cars back then. Chevy offered a low cost option the F41 (memory remembers the option code ) which consisted of HD shocks, front and rear antiroll bars, etc...which made a significant difference in handling. Back then they also had police packages. Common ones from Mopar, GM and Ford offered heavy duty suspension parts, larger brakes, bigger cooling systems, etc...as part of their police package. For example Mopar offered 440 cube V8/ 375 hp highway interceptor and it came with the police package which included HD suspension components, HD cooling system... for the engine, transmission coolers and in many cases steering coolers. These were serious cars...well able to chase down a lot of American and dare I say it...Imported performance cars. Maybe not extreme Euro supercars...but then the police radio would get them...you can't outrun a radio transmission.

And yep...if you knew a friendly salesman back then and knew the right option codes o pick you could get a police package or something very similar in all the Big 3...Mopar, Ford and Chevy.
I'm sure you're right. But my '63 Vette's suspension has more in common with a 20-year-old pickup truck than my old MINI or current Audi.
02-22-2020, 01:27 AM - 5 Likes   #2062
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
One of my cars exhibits some body roll.

Other times not so much.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 02-22-2020 at 10:42 AM.
02-22-2020, 10:03 AM - 2 Likes   #2063
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
POne of my cars exhibits some body roll.

Other times not so much.

Can you really count it as body roll when one wheel is off the ground? Just asking.
02-22-2020, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #2064
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Can you really count it as body roll when one wheel is off the ground? Just asking.
You got me there Albert.

Sometimes I get up on two wheels. Here only a couple of inches, but I've been up over a foot a few times.

02-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #2065
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

One of my cars exhibits some body roll.

Other times not so much.

You got me there Albert.

Sometimes I get up on two wheels. Here only a couple of inches, but I've been up over a foot a few times.

By the way, photo credits, Mike Cole of Raceworks images 1, 2, 4 and 5 in first post, and image in second post, Gene StDenis of Autosports Photography image 6 in first post, and Danny Miles (rip) a friend image 3 in first post.
03-15-2020, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #2066

Now that we have a fairly large dog (a Labrador) I needed something better so he'd have plenty of room, and as my ancient Mazda 4x4 needed replaced anyway this is what we went with:
03-15-2020, 11:39 AM   #2067
Veteran Member

I have a new old, old car, A 2004 Honda Element with about 204,000 miles. Other than being loud due to known rear suspension issues with toe in , and especially with snow tires mounted, I love this thing. Terrible gas mileage since it is brick shaped, but having seats that fold up against the outside walls or can be completely removed make It very useful. I like the rubber floor mats that make it easy to clean also.
04-07-2020, 02:24 PM - 2 Likes   #2068
Veteran Member

Hi, everyone, thought I better say hello, with all that's going on, and having been quiet lately.

Not much new, though the good ol Ratmobile has officially ticked over 300,000 miles, as Volvos do, so bit of a milestone there.
I'm ...just sorta motoring along with various work here, most of which is normally here at the house, so the emergency hasn't changed too much for me but my shopping habits. My town acted early about closing stuff down, so it seems we haven't been hit too hard here, that we know about.

Hope everyone's well.
04-07-2020, 04:48 PM   #2069
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hi, everyone, thought I better say hello, with all that's going on, and having been quiet lately.

Not much new, though the good ol Ratmobile has officially ticked over 300,000 miles, as Volvos do, so bit of a milestone there.
I'm ...just sorta motoring along with various work here, most of which is normally here at the house, so the emergency hasn't changed too much for me but my shopping habits. My town acted early about closing stuff down, so it seems we haven't been hit too hard here, that we know about.

Hope everyone's well.
Doing my best to catch up to your Volvo with my 2002 Tundra (325,000 Km = 202,000 mi). Our little town (~4,000) is locked up, but there are so few of us we can still walk about and only cross the street once or twice to keep distance.
04-08-2020, 07:23 AM   #2070
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

Well, congrats! Which model Volvo is it? Too bad Volvo doesn't give out the hundred thousand mile badges anymore. I have a couple 100k badges, but none higher. I've owned several Volvos over the years, and for some strange reason several of them have hit a stumbling block at about the 230k mile mark. Three head gasket failures and one spun rod bearing. Four separate cars, obviously. We're on our 6th one now and it has only 145k on the odo. Got my fingers crossed we'll get past that 230k barrier when we get there -- probably another 7 or 8 years the way we put miles on our cars.