Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2020, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #2161
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Let me see: 1 hp = 946 Kw. That sounds like a heck of a big battery to me unless you were just drag racing ...
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Or maybe by that point I'll have just dropped an electric crate motor into the Vette.

Voila ! Tesla electric crate motor available.

V-8 Swaps? Ha! How About This Bolt-Up Tesla Crate Motor Instead? - The Fast Lane Car

10-06-2020, 11:46 AM   #2162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I don't expect anything like this from an old car with an electric crate motor (or three) but the new Tesla Model S Plaid has specs of 500+ mile range and sub 2-second 0-60 times, and a sub-9 second quarter mile. Although it's not clear how many quarter mile runs it'll do while maintaining that range...
10-07-2020, 09:59 AM   #2163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't expect anything like this from an old car with an electric crate motor (or three) but the new Tesla Model S Plaid has specs of 500+ mile range and sub 2-second 0-60 times, and a sub-9 second quarter mile. Although it's not clear how many quarter mile runs it'll do while maintaining that range...
Usually for me it is either-or: either a long distance drive, or a few quarter mile runs.

The engineering problem will be battery placement. I thought about converting my pickup and that seems easy. Just jam a bunch of battery packs under the bed, lots of room. I could even put batteries in the bed for 1000 miles of range. In a Corvette, less options.
10-07-2020, 10:16 AM   #2164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Usually for me it is either-or: either a long distance drive, or a few quarter mile runs.

The engineering problem will be battery placement. I thought about converting my pickup and that seems easy. Just jam a bunch of battery packs under the bed, lots of room. I could even put batteries in the bed for 1000 miles of range. In a Corvette, less options.
If you take out the gas tank there's a lot of room behind the seats. But then you'd have to worry about weight distribution. The original car was about 50/50 with a full tank of gas. This would throw it precariously in the direction of a 911, a serious rear bias. Can you say snap oversteer?

10-07-2020, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #2165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The range will be considerably less in winter here in Southern BC and/or CO. In winter in Northern BC it would be negligable. Electric cars are practical in California, not so much in Yukon.
10-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #2166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The range will be considerably less in winter here in Southern BC and/or CO. In winter in Northern BC it would be negligable. Electric cars are practical in California, not so much in Yukon.
I guess it depends on your definition of practical: 84-year-old man drives Tesla to Tuktoyaktuk.
10-08-2020, 09:05 AM - 3 Likes   #2167
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess it depends on your definition of practical: 84-year-old man drives Tesla to Tuktoyaktuk.
That's not in winter when the battery is also rapidly depleted to keep the driver from freezing and the windshield clear of ice. A vehicle North of the 60th has demands completely missed by southerners.

10-08-2020, 06:06 PM   #2168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's not in winter when the battery is also rapidly depleted to keep the driver from freezing and the windshield clear of ice. A vehicle North of the 60th has demands completely missed by southerners.
Or perhaps that was supposed to be amusing and I'm not one of those ignorant southerners. Just moderately dumb.

10-09-2020, 12:13 AM - 2 Likes   #2169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
Here are my bikes.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
Here are a few pictures of my 1984 Pontiac Trans Am. I have owned this since 1990 and have converted it from 4 speed automatic to 5 speed manual and fitted a 383 stroker engine plus loads of other modifications. you don't see that many on UK roads.

What a collection of Bikes! Such beautiful and iconic bikes and a Trans Am !

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Well, everything I loved about my car came to a halt when it decided its had enough and threw a fit while I was leaving work and left me stranded there.
Electrical issues is where I draw the line, the car won't crank, no power to dash etc.

Soooo, I had to get a new (to me) car. Picked up a 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 with the Technology Package.
So far, I love it. It's modern, has radar cruise control, front and rear parking sensors, backup camera, nav, 17 Speaker Lexicon Surround sound system with in dash DVD player that actually plays movies in Theater Surround sound, iPod control, auto cornering headlights and a motorized sun screen for the back window. It's a remarkable amount of car for the low cost of entry. ANd ranked as most reliable car in it's class. Plus, it's pretty good on gas!
Congrats on the new ride, looks great

---------- Post added 10-09-20 at 12:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
My car is a 12-year-old grey Toyota Corolla with sunroof, electrical windows, and A/C. It has 189,700 miles on it, but no repairs yet except the usual stuff such as windshield wipers, shock absorbers, and spark plugs. I recently fixed it up with new sparkplugs, sparkplug wires, muffler, and shock absorbers to give it that new car handling feel. It does not look perfect because of a few bumps, though no rust, and lots of sealing gunk to stop a leak around the front windshield. This is a great little car. It gets about 32 mpg and has plenty of space in back seat and trunk. I don't buy cars very often, usually not until the old one wears out. I have all of the Pentax medium format cameras and lenses, and they all fit nicely in this car. I am80 years old, so this car may just be able to carry me all the way on out.
I have a 17 years old grey Toyota Corolla 1.6 petrol also with around 170K kilometers and, as yours, it only needs maintenance. (I have owned this car for 8 years now).
Congrats on getting it, I found it very practical.
10-09-2020, 11:57 AM - 3 Likes   #2170
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Or perhaps that was supposed to be amusing and I'm not one of those ignorant southerners. Just moderately dumb.
No attempt at anything. Just a comment that electric cars are not perfect in some climates.
10-10-2020, 08:59 AM - 3 Likes   #2171
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
On the Grimsel Pass

Cross posting from the K10D thread. This is a re-work of an old picture from 2012, given an aggressive b+w treatment. This was taken on the Grimsel Pass (7,000 feet) driving from Meiringen, Switzerland into Italy. We continued on the famous Furka Pass (8,000 feet) and made the crossing without using the tunnels. It was September and the weather was beautiful for this twisty ride. The Pass itself is only open for 5 months a year.

Meiringen is a lovely small town and has two claims to fame. The nearby Reichenbach Falls are where Sherlock Holmes fought with his nemesis Moriarty, and the town has a Sherlock Holmes museum and a "Conan Doyle Square" with a suitably "London" looking street sign. The town was also where the meringue was invented

Last edited by pschlute; 10-10-2020 at 09:07 AM.
11-10-2020, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #2172
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My loyal machine...

11-10-2020, 06:08 PM   #2173
Pentaxian

No attempt at anything. Just a comment that electric cars are not perfect in some climates.
Living in western Canada..where winters are long, cold and snowy I agree. Battery powered cars lose significant amounts of their power in really cold temps . Where I live there are periods of winter where temps sink to -25, -30 and colder for extended periods of time...weeks.
11-10-2020, 09:13 PM   #2174
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Where I work part time a woman bought a KIA hybrid SUV. She's burning around. 4.5L/100Km in town. Last time we crossed shifts, she was complaining that it takes forever for the defrosters to work. She had the engine on for 10 minutes before I got there, and it wasn't completely warm yet.
11-11-2020, 06:13 AM   #2175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just read an article about structural batteries being the big new thing. Not this one, but same concept. The battery becomes part of the body of the car (or other device). Obviously not going to work for resto-mods, but looks good for blank-page designs.