Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2021, 11:00 AM   #2281
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I still love my Outback. It's roomy, comfy, thrifty, but not sporty. After driving sporty cars the Subie handles curvy roads softly not sporty. I guess I need to find an older sports car to work on and take on Sunday drives.
Now that is snow ! Montana does have snow, that's for sure. One September we were doing a tour of that fine state and went to Yellowstone and were going to go to Glacier, as we wanted to travel the road to the sun in Glacier National Park. But this was mid September and the road was going to be closed for the year, as snow comes early at that high elevation.

We also were in Beartooth Mountains in Wyoming...same deal in parts there, snow comes early and roads close.

The amount of snow they get, in these high mountain ranges is tremendous, as your photo illustrates.

01-08-2021, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #2282
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I never got into a situation like that Les, at least not a long dead end road.

Once, looking for a drop in Ballard, north of Seattle, I turned down what turned out to be a short dead end in an industrial area off of Market street.

With no place to turn around, I simply backed out, across the street, then went on my way. Of course there were a number of impatient four wheelers blowing their horns, flipping me the bird, and, cussing up a storm. But hey, eighteen wheels and 80,000lbs wins every time.
yes they do. I do remember my Canadian Coast Guard, motor boating test that I took, many years ago. There was a passage that indicated that you give way to ships if you're in a motor boat. There are reasons.
01-08-2021, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #2283
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
yes they do. I do remember my Canadian Coast Guard, motor boating test that I took, many years ago. There was a passage that indicated that you give way to ships if you're in a motor boat. There are reasons.
The basic rule of the waves is that the least maneuverable has the right of way, starting with under tow. I remember my Dad shutting down a summer camp dory races for a whole summer (under sail they were). The race organizer seemed to think that a 6 ft dory under sail had the right of way over a 32 ft 12/14 hp fishing boat in a navigable channel travelling with the current and tide and sent the dories off across the channel. The Boundary Bay crab boat at the time had a vertical tiller rather than a wheel or at least one of the dories would have been run over, 10 year old sailor and all. Dad ran the boat up on the bar on the side, backed off (the boats were beachable), went full throttle to the dock and phoned the Coast Guard. End of racing for the year until they found someone who had a clue. Dad was telling me his heart rate was in 200s and the kid in the dory he was side on to was white with fear.

Years ago an idiot in a cabin cruiser was travelling in the same lanes used by the ferry fleet and went below to make himself a cup of tea or something of the like. I don't know about you, but if I heard a ferry horn doing repeated blast 6 at a time, I would have come up and had a look. He didn't. He survived, his boat didn't and some idiot judge decided that the ferry was at fault. The anger among those towing, fishing, and so on was something to get out of the way of.
01-08-2021, 08:06 PM - 2 Likes   #2284
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I still love my Outback. It's roomy, comfy, thrifty, but not sporty. After driving sporty cars the Subie handles curvy roads softly not sporty. I guess I need to find an older sports car to work on and take on Sunday drives.
Hey Steve, haven't seen you for a bit, even thought about you the other day when I saw a SAABuru.

So I have a few older sports cars.

A red one and a brown one.

And twelve other ones. Yellow, red, blue, green, maroon, a couple of white ones, a gold one, but they are more moss and rust.

01-08-2021, 09:25 PM   #2285
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The basic rule of the waves is that the least maneuverable has the right of way, starting with under tow. I remember my Dad shutting down a summer camp dory races for a whole summer (under sail they were). The race organizer seemed to think that a 6 ft dory under sail had the right of way over a 32 ft 12/14 hp fishing boat in a navigable channel travelling with the current and tide and sent the dories off across the channel. The Boundary Bay crab boat at the time had a vertical tiller rather than a wheel or at least one of the dories would have been run over, 10 year old sailor and all. Dad ran the boat up on the bar on the side, backed off (the boats were beachable), went full throttle to the dock and phoned the Coast Guard. End of racing for the year until they found someone who had a clue. Dad was telling me his heart rate was in 200s and the kid in the dory he was side on to was white with fear.

Years ago an idiot in a cabin cruiser was travelling in the same lanes used by the ferry fleet and went below to make himself a cup of tea or something of the like. I don't know about you, but if I heard a ferry horn doing repeated blast 6 at a time, I would have come up and had a look. He didn't. He survived, his boat didn't and some idiot judge decided that the ferry was at fault. The anger among those towing, fishing, and so on was something to get out of the way of.
Too bad common sense isn't that common.
01-09-2021, 09:57 AM - 2 Likes   #2286
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now that is snow ! Montana does have snow, that's for sure. One September we were doing a tour of that fine state and went to Yellowstone and were going to go to Glacier, as we wanted to travel the road to the sun in Glacier National Park. But this was mid September and the road was going to be closed for the year, as snow comes early at that high elevation.

We also were in Beartooth Mountains in Wyoming...same deal in parts there, snow comes early and roads close.

The amount of snow they get, in these high mountain ranges is tremendous, as your photo illustrates.
I took that image on June 1st last year. Haven't had a lot of winter so far this year.

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Hey Steve, haven't seen you for a bit, even thought about you the other day when I saw a SAABuru.

So I have a few older sports cars.

A red one and a brown one.

And twelve other ones. Yellow, red, blue, green, maroon, a couple of white ones, a gold one, but they are more moss and rust.

Hey Racer, good to be back. Yep, I miss my Saabaru every time I encounter a curvy road. My son-in-law is keeping it in fine fettle.
01-09-2021, 06:40 PM   #2287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Fiat is old news as they merge with PSA and become Stellantis.

The car industry is moving pretty quick these days. Tesla sold 500,000 cars last year. Share prices of even loosely related companies like lithium miners are boosted.
Fiat and Peugeot... Hardly old news either one. Interesting to see what they cook up next.

01-10-2021, 08:51 AM - 3 Likes   #2288
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote

I drive this beast around the narrow country lanes of Suffolk for work.Most people give me right of way!

01-10-2021, 08:54 AM - 5 Likes   #2289
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I drive this beast around the narrow country lanes of Suffolk for work.Most people give me right of way!
I suspect that anyone who cut you off got "booked" rather quickly.
01-10-2021, 01:42 PM   #2290
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I'm not familiar with British/ European vehicles. Very large, what make and model is that truck based vehicle?

Books are heavy and I would imagine the weight this vehicle has to bear, is considerable.

Years ago in my province we used to have such a mobile library and in fact, it was called the Bookmobile.

If I had your job, my biggest issue would be to avoid temptation and become totally absorbed in reading books, while at work.

Thx for posting.
01-10-2021, 03:14 PM   #2291
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

If I had your job, my biggest issue would be to avoid temptation and become totally absorbed in reading books, while at work.
The job has its perks!
01-11-2021, 11:06 AM - 6 Likes   #2292

Deb and I are retired and have been sheltering in place since March so we don't drive much. When I do it's in my 2018 Fiat 124 Spider.

What I like: Everything
What I dislike: Nothing
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS Rebel T6i  Photo 
01-11-2021, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #2293
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by danac Quote
Deb and I are retired and have been sheltering in place since March so we don't drive much. When I do it's in my 2018 Fiat 124 Spider.

Your temporary tag has expired.
01-12-2021, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #2294
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by danac Quote

I fully approve of your vehicle choice I was very tempted by an Abarth 124 three years ago when looking for a new daily driver, but couldn't really justify it given that I already have it's older relative.

So I went for a 595 instead as the 'sensible' choice

01-12-2021, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #2295

crossed-up: My first car was a 1969 Fiat 124 Spider back in 1971. I've had three others since then - two '69s and a '73. We also have a '66 MGB roadster and a '72 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000. The new 124 engine stock has 160hp. I recently installed a Chipbox and Pedal Booster which released an extra 25 more horsepower.