Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2021, 05:14 PM - 2 Likes   #2401
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Full electric vehicles are perfect for urban only driving. City dwellers who do the majority of their driving in and around the city should all have one, and rent a hybrid or petro fueled vehicle for excursions outside the metropolitan area.
100% agree.

I live in the suburbs and work from home 60% of the time, but have a short commute the other 40% of the time. My wife and I use her RAV4 for 90% of our long distance driving and I rarely drive more than 100 miles in my truck or Miata, so I'm holding out for an electric Miata.

06-18-2021, 06:53 PM - 2 Likes   #2402
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm not a fan of electric. Just a personal preference (and the inability to charge as quick as filling the tank), but I love the rumble and growl of a good internal combustion engine. Or in the case of motorsports, the outright roar. I tried watching a Formula E race once and couldn't get over how much it sounded like slot car racing.
06-19-2021, 12:38 AM   #2403
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My favorite car

I am really enjoying my tiny blue 2013Toyota Prius C, now coming up on 85,000 miles. I get an average of about 42,000 miles, though the state of Ohio has imposed a $100/year surcharge on license tags, taking away most of the fuel economy incentive for drivers of fewer than 10,000 miles per year. I confess that the political policy of encouraging hybrids to save fuel and the environment and then surcharging license tags appears to represent a bit of conflicting policy objectives. This tiny little car is still comfortable for four people, and I rent a larger vehicle for long trips out of town. A car this size is easy to park, and it has a spacious hatchback storage area for groceries and the like. There have been no service calls since new except for oil changes, windshield wipers, and a new set of tires. I did voluntarily change the sparkplugs, but it was probably not really necessary.

My other car is a gray 2008 Toyota Corolla, which has also served us well for 200,000 miles and no repairs except the same maintenance items as mentioned for the Prius. It is no longer a very attractive vehicle because it has a couple of dents and scratches and a somewhat unsightly seam of extrusion putty all around the front windshield to stop a windshield water leak and avoid a $125 charge for having the windshield removed and professionally reset. I cannot see spending $125 on unnecessary repairs when that same amount can buy a decent classic lens or pay for having one of my Leica-R lenses Leitaxed for the K-1.
06-19-2021, 05:05 AM - 3 Likes   #2404
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
...though the state of Ohio has imposed a $100/year surcharge on license tags, taking away most of the fuel economy incentive for drivers of fewer than 10,000 miles per year. I confess that the political policy of encouraging hybrids to save fuel and the environment and then surcharging license tags appears to represent a bit of conflicting policy objectives.
It's probably to recoup some of the lost fuel taxes on hybrids and electric vehicles. The pavement doesn't care how your car is powered when it comes to wear and tear, and states are starting to figure that out as road budgets are coming up short. A weight based vehicle miles traveled tax would be the most equitable, in my opinion.

06-19-2021, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #2405
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
100% agree.

I live in the suburbs and work from home 60% of the time, but have a short commute the other 40% of the time. My wife and I use her RAV4 for 90% of our long distance driving and I rarely drive more than 100 miles in my truck or Miata, so I'm holding out for an electric Miata.
Full electric Miata?! I like the sound of that, a poor man's (and aren't we all?) Tesla Roadster.
06-19-2021, 12:38 PM   #2406
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
I love the rumble and growl of a good internal combustion engine. Or in the case of motorsports, the outright roar.
I am right there with you, a day at the track or the strip is a real rush for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Full electric Miata?! I like the sound of that, a poor man's (and aren't we all?) Tesla Roadster.
There is a company that provides electric drivetrains to retrofit into a variety of chassis, and I could really get into the idea of converting a car with the classic lines of yesteryear with the relative convenience and relative economy of an electric vehicle.
06-19-2021, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #2407
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I am right there with you, a day at the track or the strip is a real rush for me.
I was just at the local strip this afternoon covering the races. I was mainly there for the jet cars and a wheel stander, but got a lot of the hot rod classes. I'll upload them once I cull and edit everything. I have 1,800 photos to go through, so it'll take some time.

06-20-2021, 04:30 AM   #2408
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
I'll upload them once I cull and edit everything. I have 1,800 photos to go through, so it'll take some time.
I trust you'll upload a few to the "Car Loving Pentaxians" group.

When I go to the track I alternate between medium and high burst modes in order to catch launches and finish lines images, but as I become better and finding the right angles of composition and anticipating the moment, I find I don't need so many shots in order to get a keeper.
06-20-2021, 11:41 AM   #2409
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote

Mazda recently stated that all models in their lineup will have electric/hybrid options by 2035, so I'll be interested to see how they pull it off and if they can keep the weight low enough that it remains nimble. My 1992 Miata is really a nice commuter and fun car for errands, but it usually doesn't go far from home.

People are starting to dabble with EV conversions already, so I have high hopes that Mazda can pull off an OEM electric Miata that has even more range.

06-20-2021, 07:38 PM   #2410
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never driven a Miata, but I regularly come back to wanting one. I really like the lines of the newest revision, but the 90s models are great too, they have some of the 90s-est design cues in cars. In a good way!
06-21-2021, 11:11 AM   #2411
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just drove our 2001 Miata today after a long break. The first thing about a Miata is whether you fit. Then maybe how long a drive it is. The car kind of wears me out after a couple of hours. Before that, it's fun. I imagine it's more like a motorcycle. Then some people don't like its power level or factory suspension.

The EV conversion was interesting in that they maintained weight and distribution, so handling should be the same. Range is worse but I already see it as a short trip car, so no big deal. The only problem is cost. They didn't reveal an exact number but they spent a lot.
06-22-2021, 08:20 AM   #2412
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I just drove our 2001 Miata today after a long break. The first thing about a Miata is whether you fit. Then maybe how long a drive it is. The car kind of wears me out after a couple of hours. Before that, it's fun. I imagine it's more like a motorcycle. Then some people don't like its power level or factory suspension.

The EV conversion was interesting in that they maintained weight and distribution, so handling should be the same. Range is worse but I already see it as a short trip car, so no big deal. The only problem is cost. They didn't reveal an exact number but they spent a lot.
Oh, I bet they spent a fortune. My brother has been researching an EV conversion for his Miata and "thinks" he can pull it off for less than a V8 swap.....
06-24-2021, 05:16 PM   #2413

I drove a Prius from 2006-2015, it was a fine car. Lots of cargo space. Eventually we had to replace the main battery pack, and then some minor stuff. My son still drives it, we offered to buy him something new, but he said it would have to be a Tesla or nothing.

In 2015 I switched to a "gas guzzler". A red Mazda 3i (2.0 liter engine) stick shift, it only gets 37 mpg. It's definitely more fun to drive, and I was thinking that might be my last opportunity to get a stick shift. It will also likely be my last gas-only vehicle.

I also have a 1968 VW Fastback, that I occasionally take out of the garage. It doesn't shift as well as the Mazda, that is for sure. Not sure if the linkages are worn or if things just got better over 47 years. The engine needs a little work, I wouldn't mind putting an electric motor in the VW, but that wouldn't be cheap as well.
06-25-2021, 01:15 PM   #2414
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bogwalker Quote
I drove a Prius from 2006-2015, it was a fine car. Lots of cargo space. Eventually we had to replace the main battery pack, and then some minor stuff. My son still drives it, we offered to buy him something new, but he said it would have to be a Tesla or nothing.

In 2015 I switched to a "gas guzzler". A red Mazda 3i (2.0 liter engine) stick shift, it only gets 37 mpg. It's definitely more fun to drive, and I was thinking that might be my last opportunity to get a stick shift. It will also likely be my last gas-only vehicle.

I also have a 1968 VW Fastback, that I occasionally take out of the garage. It doesn't shift as well as the Mazda, that is for sure. Not sure if the linkages are worn or if things just got better over 47 years. The engine needs a little work, I wouldn't mind putting an electric motor in the VW, but that wouldn't be cheap as well.
Over the years...my earlier years...from the time I was 16 till 30-31...all my many vehicles were manual transmission. I had three VW Type 1 (Beetle) from the '60's and their shifters felt a bit rubbery, but other than that the shifting throw was short and accurate. I did drag race (19.4@ 68.5 mph) my '69 VW Beetle and I could speed shift that transmission fairly well.

The two best shifting cars...both 4 speed manuals...that I drove...were two cars. One a '62 Volvo PV 544s...with a Borg-Warner 4 speed....accurate, precise, quick.....and a '70 Chevy Nova SS with a 350 cube/300 HP V8 and a Muncie 4 speed transmission....but with an aftermarket and excellent, Hurst shift linkage. Precise, light action, accurate (never missed a shift) .

The key to a good shifting transmission is often in the shift linkage, how it is positioned / connected , how well it is set up and the design.
06-25-2021, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #2415
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Over the years...my earlier years...from the time I was 16 till 30-31...all my many vehicles were manual transmission. I had three VW Type 1 (Beetle) from the '60's and their shifters felt a bit rubbery, but other than that the shifting throw was short and accurate. I did drag race (19.4@ 68.5 mph) my '69 VW Beetle and I could speed shift that transmission fairly well.

The two best shifting cars...both 4 speed manuals...that I drove...were two cars. One a '62 Volvo PV 544s...with a Borg-Warner 4 speed....accurate, precise, quick.....and a '70 Chevy Nova SS with a 350 cube/300 HP V8 and a Muncie 4 speed transmission....but with an aftermarket and excellent, Hurst shift linkage. Precise, light action, accurate (never missed a shift) .

The key to a good shifting transmission is often in the shift linkage, how it is positioned / connected , how well it is set up and the design.
My unusual was a 1958 Mercedes 220S with four on the column. Technically the pattern was an H with reverse offset toward the wheel, but it shifted most like an X. The manual's city driving suggestion was 0-50 km/h in 1st and the drop it into 4th. The reverse gate was neat for tailgaters: the backup lights came on on the gate.