Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
07-19-2021, 01:42 PM   #2446
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Hmm, maybe I'm thinking first American unibody car. I'll have to go look it up again.

The first American unibody automobile was produced by the Hayes Body Company in 1915. It was called the Hayes Ruler Frameless.

07-19-2021, 05:30 PM   #2447
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
The first American unibody automobile was produced by the Hayes Body Company in 1915. It was called the Hayes Ruler Frameless.
Except it was not a true unibody design. The car consisted of a body to which was attached an engine and gearbox mounting (tubular I believe) sub-frame.
07-20-2021, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #2448
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Except it was not a true unibody design. The car consisted of a body to which was attached an engine and gearbox mounting (tubular I believe) sub-frame.

Hmm. Then I suppose it was the French Citroen Traction Avant and American Chrysler Airflow that were the first production unibody chassis?
07-20-2021, 08:12 AM   #2449

Photos: Albums
Hmm. Then I suppose it was the French Citroen Traction Avant and American Chrysler Airflow that were the first production unibody chassis?
Don't forget the air-cooled Volkswagens, which were developed in the 1930's, but not sold commercially until a few years WWII. That's generally considered a unibody construction.

BTW wtlwdwgn - I flew from O'Hare to Missoula a couple weeks ago, probably passed near Billings. I had a window seat (of course), so I was looking for Billings, but didn't see it.

07-20-2021, 08:53 AM   #2450
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bogwalker Quote
Don't forget the air-cooled Volkswagens, which were developed in the 1930's, but not sold commercially until a few years WWII. That's generally considered a unibody construction.

BTW wtlwdwgn - I flew from O'Hare to Missoula a couple weeks ago, probably passed near Billings. I had a window seat (of course), so I was looking for Billings, but didn't see it.
Ha when I first read this I thought "wtlwdwgn" must be an acronym I didn't know. I googled it and found it was a member name

07-20-2021, 09:10 AM - 2 Likes   #2451
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bogwalker Quote

IIRC, the Beetle's body was bolted to the platform underneath. While in Germany in the '60s there was another airman who took the Beetle's body off the platform and put it over a rear wheel drive chassis with a Buick V8 engine. He had great fun on the Autobahn pulling up behind a big Mercedes, flashing his lights, and zooming past leaving the Merc in its dust.

Flying in from Chicago you might have flown over the middle of the state and may not have been near enough to see Billings.
07-20-2021, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #2452
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You know, I think I may have been the victim of Wikipedia wrong information, because I thought I read about the status of the Rambler as first unibody, or production unibody, or something like that... but now I can't even find the section I was reading before. So, fake news! Courtesy of the online resource that is always asking for money.

07-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #2453
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Ha when I first read this I thought "wtlwdwgn" must be an acronym I didn't know. I googled it and found it was a member name
Little red wagon.
07-20-2021, 01:31 PM - 2 Likes   #2454
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First (convertible) unibody design was the 1922 Lancia Lambda Torpedo. Next was the 1934 Citroën Traction Avant, which was actually the first true unibody design. (Interestingly conceived by an America designer) 1934 Chrysler Airflow was next. The Citroën was also one of the earlier cars (though not the first) to popularise front wheel drive.
07-20-2021, 02:29 PM - 2 Likes   #2455
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A vehicle you'd rather not have pull up to your house.
07-20-2021, 03:40 PM   #2456
Pentaxian

IIRC, the Beetle's body was bolted to the platform underneath. While in Germany in the '60s there was another airman who took the Beetle's body off the platform and put it over a rear wheel drive chassis with a Buick V8 engine. He had great fun on the Autobahn pulling up behind a big Mercedes, flashing his lights, and zooming past leaving the Merc in its dust.
Enjoyed that. Reminded me of an old race car, that was pieced together from many different parts and featured a big Buick 401 cube 'nailhead' V8. It did quite well in racing many years ago. Ole Yeller is it's name.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...Fx6wwLIq8Xb8Pt
07-20-2021, 03:44 PM - 2 Likes   #2457
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Enjoyed that. Reminded me of an old race car, that was pieced together from many different parts and featured a big Buick 401 cube 'nailhead' V8. It did quite well in racing many years ago. Ole Yeller is it's name.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...Fx6wwLIq8Xb8Pt

Max Balchowsky!
07-20-2021, 04:58 PM   #2458
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A vehicle you'd rather not have pull up to your house.
If I drove that, I'd be spending all of my off time with it in front of my camera, day and night!
07-20-2021, 05:13 PM   #2459
Pentaxian

He was quite a character I've read. He used to map out his car designs...in chalk...on his garage floor.
07-20-2021, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #2460
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Brilliant guy!