Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1545 Likes Search this Thread
09-16-2021, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #2491
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
I do some pretty remote photo shoots (abandoned bridges and structures). Good thing I decided to take the truck this time. Had a little fun too.

Back on the current trend, I too grew up on a manual. Had a 6 speed 370z several years ago that while fun was but tedious running through the gears while in traffic. Plus it was very finicky getting into 6th.Recently picked up another 370z but this one is an auto. Must admit I prefer this for the most part over the 6 speed. It does have the option of manually shifting (paddle shifters and also on the gearshift itself).
When I arrived in Germany for my NATO tour 1965-1967, I picked up a 1958 Mercedes 220S for Cdn $405.00. No tach, but top/bottom limit marks on the speedometer for each gear.
1st: 0-50 kph, 2nd 30-80, 3rd, 40-120, 4th 50 +. Note the crossover at 50 kph. The manual's suggestion for city traffic was drive up to 50 kph in 1st and drop it into 4th for mileage. The shift pattern for the on the tree shifter was much closer to an X than an H and facilitated the move.

I liked the tailgater deterrent as well; moving into the reverse gate turned on the backup lights.

09-16-2021, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #2492
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
When I arrived in Germany for my NATO tour 1965-1967, I picked up a 1958 Mercedes 220S for Cdn $405.00. No tach, but top/bottom limit marks on the speedometer for each gear.

1st: 0-50 kph, 2nd 30-80, 3rd, 40-120, 4th 50 +. Note the crossover at 50 kph. The manual's suggestion for city traffic was drive up to 50 kph in 1st and drop it into 4th for mileage. The shift pattern for the on the tree shifter was much closer to an X than an H and facilitated the move.

I liked the tailgater deterrent as well; moving into the reverse gate turned on the backup lights.
If you can reach 50kph in city traffic

09-16-2021, 12:02 PM   #2493
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The shifting speed is sort of like lens sharpness. It's easy to measure, show on a chart, discuss on forums. It's just not relevant to driving, and electric cars would make it a quaint blip in history anyway. In real driving and ownership, you'd probably reconsider those launches after the first transmission (or battery) replacement.
I've only had four daily drivers since 1991, all manual transmissions. The last three I've kept until nearly 150,000 miles. The last clutch I replaced was... actually my Dad replaced it because I was a poor college student in 1992.

So you can infer how many times I've revved it up to redline and dumped the clutch to try to get a killer 0-60 time.
09-16-2021, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #2494

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I've only had four daily drivers since 1991, all manual transmissions. The last three I've kept until nearly 150,000 miles.
Hmm, my car is now 6 years old, and I've only got 35,000 miles. It's going to take another 20 years to get to 150,000 miles at that rate!

That does include a year and a half of working from home though, and no long trips during that time. I've only been filling up every other month. I should be adding more miles pretty soon, but I was definitely doing my part to reduce greenhouse gases, intentionally or not.

09-16-2021, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #2495
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
If you can reach 50kph in city traffic
The manual didn't include that caveat
09-17-2021, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #2496
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The dumbing down of the masses is being facilitated by all this technology.
And that's assuming the technology functions like it's advertised.
09-17-2021, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #2497
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
And that's assuming the technology functions like it's advertised.
Like backup warning cameras in the Rockies? They don't seem to handle snow very well.

09-17-2021, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #2498
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you drive that fast (50 kph / 30 mph) in first gear your engine should warm up pretty quickly...

Chris
09-17-2021, 05:27 PM   #2499
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If you drive that fast (50 kph / 30 mph) in first gear your engine should warm up pretty quickly...

Chris
I think Mercedes catered to the drivers of Germany: Don't waste time.
09-21-2021, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #2500
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Automatic transmissions have enabled those who have no business driving motor vehicles to do so.

Now we have cars that will see an obstacle and stop the car, even when the driver is taking no action to avoid a collision.

And we also have cars that notice a driver is drifting out of the lane of travel and alerts them.

Then there are the cars that parallel park for the incompetent snoods who can’t manage on their own.

The masses have always been inattentive, they didn't know the rules of the road, they'd do stupid things, they'd get angry or annoyed... they're people, and they've always been people. Technology now keeps those people, us people, from rear ending and sideswiping quite so many others.
09-21-2021, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #2501
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
The masses have always been inattentive, they didn't know the rules of the road, they'd do stupid things, they'd get angry or annoyed... they're people, and they've always been people. Technology now keeps those people, us people, from rear ending and sideswiping quite so many others.
There are far too many people who shouldn’t be allowed to drive.

For example:

Tesla driver arrested for allegedly using Autopilot while drunk, unconscious

Driving is a privilege, not a right. People like the woman in the Tesla while drunk should have that right permanently revoked.
09-21-2021, 09:02 AM   #2502
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For example:

Tesla driver arrested for allegedly using Autopilot while drunk, unconscious

Driving is a privilege, not a right. People like the woman in the Tesla while drunk should have that right permanently revoked.
Sure, but that's always been the case. 10 years ago that woman would probably be dead, and may have taken others with her.
09-21-2021, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #2503
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Years ago a coworker who had a cast on her arm got a ticket for driving impaired.
She was incensed and complained loudly about this abuse of her "right to drive".

Too many confuse rights with privileges.

Chris
09-21-2021, 05:49 PM   #2504
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Years ago a coworker who had a cast on her arm got a ticket for driving impaired.
Now I feel bad Chris.

When I had my left foot in a cast, and later a cast boot, I drove my Legacy with a manual transmission. I found a device for handicapped drivers that I could clamp to the clutch pedal, allowing me to operate it with my left hand.

A few years later when I had the right foot worked on, I tried the same thing, using my left foot to operate the brake and accelerator. I just couldn't get the coordination down.

So I bought the 95 F150 from my oldest grandson, as it has an automatic. Drove with my left foot for six months.
09-22-2021, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #2505
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is not being facilitated but rather caused by. People need free agency to be fully alive, even if that means they make mistakes and errors. Television and computer games remove individual imagination. Tech which takes tasks away from folk do the same for the physical interaction we have with the world around us. We end up becoming zombies.

Now I am no luddite and certainly appreciate a certain amount of tech, but one can have too much of a good thing. It appears many people already do.