Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2021, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #2566

Ran out of fuel once in a Kia Sportage that i owned. I felt lucky because it was just 100 metres from a gas station. A few days later the car didn't start because of a defective fuel pump. That was an expensive lesson.

12-29-2021, 04:41 PM   #2567
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ernie C. Quote
Ran out of fuel once in a Kia Sportage that i owned. I felt lucky because it was just 100 metres from a gas station. A few days later the car didn't start because of a defective fuel pump. That was an expensive lesson.
I ran out of fuel in a VW Derby. I used to aim to make the 280 mile journey to my parents on a tank of fuel which was just about possible depending on traffic. It had a low fuel light which came on with 6 litres left in the tank but this time it must have come on late as round about 10 miles after it came on the car just lost power while I was overtaking a lorry and I managed to make it to the hard shoulder. I remember calling the RAC on a mobile phone but in those days they couldn't tell where you were if you used a mobile so I had to walk back to an emergency phone. No problems after they added the fuel.
Another time we were due to take back a hire car in LA the following day and had driven down the Pacific Coast Highway en route to a hotel. The deal was to return the car empty so we didn't want to leave too much fuel in the tank. We hoped we had enough fuel to get to the hotel and back to the drop off point but we ran out within pushing distance of the drop off point while we were driving to the hotel.
We pushed the car to the drop off point to be greeted by cheers from other drivers who thought we had timed it really well to arrive with an empty tank. Little did they know we still had a few miles left to our destination. The guys at the drop off point couldn't have been more helpful and gave us some fuel to get to the hotel and back with no charge

12-29-2021, 05:13 PM   #2568
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't run below 1/4 either, but there's one vehicle group I'm in on Facebook where people seem to pride themselves on how close to "zero miles until empty" they can get on the distance remaining display before gassing up. They completely ignore the fact that it does indeed have a fuel gauge, and some have boasted about how far they have driven AFTER reaching zero without running out of gas.

It's usually the women in the group that do this, and often joke about how irritated it makes their husbands. Thankfully my wife knows better and tries not to let it get that low.
12-29-2021, 07:01 PM - 2 Likes   #2569
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
The fuel tanks without gages, and a two position fuel lever, use a standpipe for the regular position, just high enough to allow about a gallon when the fuel "runs out". The reserve position opens up a port closer to the bottom of the tank.

On today's cars, the fuel pump is in the tank, and is cooled by the fuel. Running the level to that last drop is very hard on the pump, causing premature failure.

12-29-2021, 07:42 PM   #2570
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My uncommon Ford

A 2017 Ford C-Max Energi. This is its best side, I think. The front has awkward triple grilles, and the back is bland. I didn't buy this car for the styling, but for the road feel and the numbers. How many other cars can average 65 mpg over four years, and still be capable of 0-60 in 8 seconds. (Yes, I know Teslas are much faster, but that's another conversation. It's faster than a Prius, which is the closest comparable car.)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-30-2021, 07:03 AM   #2571
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I never run my modern day vehicles to almost empty.
For nearly 30 years I've routinely gotten gas after the low-fuel light comes on and I've never run out of gas and never had a failed fuel pump.

---------- Post added 12-30-21 at 09:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The fuel tanks without gages, and a two position fuel lever, use a standpipe for the regular position, just high enough to allow about a gallon when the fuel "runs out". The reserve position opens up a port closer to the bottom of the tank.

On today's cars, the fuel pump is in the tank, and is cooled by the fuel. Running the level to that last drop is very hard on the pump, causing premature failure.
I appreciate the explanation.

But my experience, as I just noted, is that the fuel pump must be in that last gallon or it's just not that big of a deal. Or I've been very lucky, as I've run the tanks down to almost empty for nearly 150,000 miles on multiple cars and so has my wife. "Causing premature failure" is probably an overstatement. I think it's more like "could contribute to premature failure."
12-30-2021, 09:34 AM   #2572
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
"Causing premature failure" is probably an overstatement. I think it's more like "could contribute to premature failure."
You have been fortunate.

In my experience it is more of a problem with US domestic vehicles, Ford, Chevy, Chrysler. The imports tend to not be affected as much by abuse.

Oh, and the imports all have an access panel in the floor above the tank, so the fuel pump/sending unit assembly can be removed and serviced without tank removal.

Domestic vehicles do not, and as such the fuel tank must be removed to replace the fuel pump/sending unit assembly. I replaced hundreds of them over the years I was employed as a fleet vehicle mechanic at the local electric utility, which had a fleet of US domestic vehicles.

01-09-2022, 12:19 PM - 2 Likes   #2573
Pentaxian

Enjoyed a top-down run out in the winter sun with the dog and missus to Felixstowe for brunch.

01-09-2022, 01:32 PM   #2574
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How did you get you, the missus and the dog in a two seater? (Dog in the boot?) 😉
01-09-2022, 03:25 PM   #2575
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
How did you get you, the missus and the dog in a two seater? (Dog in the boot?) 😉
Dog in a harness on the missus’ lap,they’re both petite!
01-11-2022, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #2576
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haha very cool. My son has a 2007 limited-edition 'Sport' model which apart from the colour looks identical to yours. (And without the lady in the passenger seat!)
02-02-2022, 03:34 PM - 4 Likes   #2577
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DB11 V12 5.2L twin Turbo.

It is fast, sporty and comfortable for long distance driving (although Covid has meant I have not ventured far from home in it yet)

Not like ?.....Hmmmm.... cant think of a single thing.

02-03-2022, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #2578

The most beautiful modern supercar money can buy at the moment.The colour also does very well on this car. Nice picture as well!
02-03-2022, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #2579
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote

It is fast, sporty and comfortable for long distance driving (although Covid has meant I have not ventured far from home in it yet)

Beautiful Peter!
I'm drooling.
02-03-2022, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #2580
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote

One word-awesome!