08-13-2022, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #2626
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Good thing they're not both blue! LOL
I’m partial to the blue.

If they were the same color, a subtle scheme would make distinction easy.

A contrasting color on the painted portion of the mirror housings, fuchsia for hers, turquoise for yours.

Then get personalized plates.

HIS

HERS

Or:

NO 1

NO 2

Maybe:

MR

MRS

08-14-2022, 05:38 AM   #2627
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Many vehicles mark the recirc button with the label "MAX A/C". Running the air conditioning with recirculate mode on is the only way to actually keep a car cool when it's 110°+ around here.

I use recirculate most often to get the heat up quicker in very cold weather.

Years ago I recall some cars had a "Desert Only" setting on the air conditioner.

Chris
08-14-2022, 01:45 PM - 2 Likes   #2628
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I’m partial to the blue.

A contrasting color on the painted portion of the mirror housings, fuchsia for hers, turquoise for yours.

HIS

HERS

Or:

NO 1

NO 2

Maybe:

MR

MRS
Almost all my cars have been blue. Come to think of it, other than one red car and two green, and the black and white, of course, all the others have been blue. I like blue.
My wife has personalized plates but she prefers to go incognito. I may sell the personalized plates or may put them on this car. We'll see.
08-19-2022, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #2629
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I'm with you Racer. What I don't understand is how ANYONE can climb into a vehicle other than their own usual driver and don't check out where all the switches and such are. I consider it to be a given than I am going to need the light switch or heater control (or A/C) or defrosters or .... I have a friend who is a member of the RCMP and invited him to keep me company on a trip to Lethbridge. On the way back I felt less than optimum (not unusual at 82) and asked him to drive the rest of the way home. He touched everything before pulling out of the turnout. And he had driven the same model and make before.
I've heard stories about 60's and 70's Maserati's (Ghiblis IIRC) that had rows of identical unmarked switches on the dash, where their functions varied from car to car depending on what order the guy on the production line decided to fit them in each day

08-19-2022, 09:05 PM - 2 Likes   #2630
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crossed-up Quote
I've heard stories about 60's and 70's Maserati's (Ghiblis IIRC) that had rows of identical unmarked switches on the dash, where their functions varied from car to car depending on what order the guy on the production line decided to fit them in each day
I love Italian vehicles, their design, the styling, the performance...although I've never had an Italian vehicle, myself.

I'm a real fan of motorcycles...European and Japanese makes, in particular. Years ago (1970's) , there was a magazine road test of a marvelous Italian motorcycle.

It was a formidable road machine, well engineered from a design standpoint...but during the test, those assessing the machine, noted that there was a dead Italian fly....covered over , by the factory paint job. Think it was on the gas tank.

I know that back then, some motorcycle factories offered metal flake paint as options...I can't speak on whether the fly immersed in paint...was an option.
08-19-2022, 09:12 PM - 2 Likes   #2631
Pentaxian

Almost all my cars have been blue. Come to think of it, other than one red car and two green, and the black and white, of course, all the others have been blue. I like blue.
My wife has personalized plates but she prefers to go incognito. I may sell the personalized plates or may put them on this car. We'll see.
I've had black, red, Honduras Maroon, blue - my first car, a '61 VW Beetle, then a '64 VW Type 1, then my '67 Camaro Coupe RS 327 V8, then my Mercury Comet S 22.

I've had white, dark forest green (my favourite, Ashen Grey (heck of colour name for the elderly owner..me), silver, light green, seafoam green, dark brown, medium brown (I'm not a lover of brown cars...one was a Chevette, the other a Ford Granada-302 V8), grey ('62 Volvo PV544)....all in all, not a huge variety, considering I've owned many a vehicle since I got my first one in 1965.
08-19-2022, 09:14 PM - 2 Likes   #2632
Pentaxian

I’m partial to the blue.

NO 1

NO 2
Or # 3.

08-20-2022, 07:36 AM   #2633
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m partial to the blue.

HIS

HERS

Or:

NO 1

NO 2

Maybe:

MR

MRS

The answer is simple: Pinstriping!

Chris
08-20-2022, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #2634
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I'll buy your personalized plates. I haven't any plates from New Zealand in my license plate collection.

Car colours.

My cars have been all over the rainbow.

'62 Impala goon, white.

'65 Comet Caliente, red (no other color would be right on a car with a name like Caliente).

'64 Chevele 2 door post, brown (more like gold or bronze) metallic.

'66 VW Beetle, white.

'65 Chevele 4 door, same as the '64, but the top was a off white or cream color.

'66 Impala SS 396, 2 door hardtop, blue metallic with a white vinyl top.

'70 Impala, 2 door hardtop, 400 (small block), blue metallic with a white vinyl top.

'72 Camaro Sport Coupe, spring green metallic with a black vinyl top (still have this car).

'73 GMC 1ton dually, black.

'75 Chevrolet 1ton dually, light blue/white.

'72 Ford Maverick 2 door, green.

'75 Toyota Hilux long bed, red (I put over a half million miles on this little pickup before I parked it).

'01 Dodge Ram with 5.9l Cummins and 6 speed transmission (bought new, still have) "Garnet Peacoat", a reddish maroon metallic.

'05 Subaru Legacy goon (bought new, still have), Regal Blue Pearl.

'71 Datsun 240Z (the race car) had about 8 layers of paint on it when I bought it in 1989. It was blue on one side, lime green on the other, with an orange stripe down the middle. I stripped it and painted it red, the original color, although I used 1985 Corvette red rather than the original Datsun red. It still has that same paint, in pretty good condition considering it has been 32 years since I painted it.

'72 Datsun 240Z, metallic brown. This car has the original finish from 1972.

'48 Ford 8N, red and grey.

'48 Adams motor grader, yellow (the only color for construction equipment).

'72 Kubota L260, orange (you were expecting something else?).

'95 Ford F150 Eddie Bauer, two tone maroon and tan.

'79 Datsun 280ZX, two tone brown and tan metallic.

I have 11 other Datsun Z cars, some 240Zs, some 280Zs, various colors, white, grey, blue, green, magenta, yellow, red, silver.

'78 Honda Hawk 400 twin, blue (bought new right after college, my only transportation for the first 12 months I owned it).

'71 Honda CL175 twin, blue.

I may have omitted some, hey, I've been driving for over 52 years, estimate I have driven over 2 million miles, and have owned and driven a lot of vehicles.
08-20-2022, 08:35 AM   #2635
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So I've been driving my brother-in-law's Hyunday Sonata 2021. Nice full size sedan, very comfortable and smooth ride. He left it to me while out for the whole summer, with the freedom to use whenever I wanted. I used it for two weeks when my car got a flat... also used it for a few long trips (low mileage lease... will likely be 15K miles short of the total allowed milleage by April 2023 when car is due back).

I do not like:

1. FOB keyless... since there is no spot to put the key as it is keyless, it stays in my pocket. but If I leave the thing idling and step out to lock the house door for example the car goes bananas! it would be better if these keyless cars had a hey-holder spot.
2. lane notification... I do not drive center lane (unless theres is a 3 lane HW) - I tend to keep left when in the left lane, right whilst on the right lane... this just so no idiot nips me when trying to cut everyone off- give them middle space... Well until I figured how to turn it off the car "fought" my way of driving, and then it beeped when I would not budge... Not fun
3. Generally I do not like the notifications re a car in blind spot... I never change lanes without twisting my neck like an owl, always look twice and once more while changing the lane. I dislike this feaure - it makes you lazy.

I like the rear view camera - no need to guess when paralell parking re hitting the car behind.

I would like a "side-low" camera - for paralell parking, so that I do not scar the wheels with the sidewalk - not that I did on this car, but have done so before with my own car.
08-20-2022, 08:45 AM - 2 Likes   #2636
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Gray Corolla

I have a gray 2008 4-door Toyota Corolla with 275,000 miles on the odometer. There have been no significant costs of ownership thus far except tires, batteries, windshield wipers, new spark plugs, new shock absorbers (or whatever they are calling them nowadays). One problem is that I have driven it so long that the rubberized patina of the steering wheel has rubbed away leaving a roughened appearance. Also, the CD player is no longer functioning, so someone suggested that I should go to Best Buy and have them install an elaborate new system including a screen which would display driving routes and instructions. I actually went to the store to check on this possibility, only to find that the recommended system was fetching over $1,000, an amount that shocked me and instantly dissuaded me from the purchase. The car gets about 32 mpg. It cost me $15,000 new, so I figure that the annual depreciation has been less than $1,000 per year, considering salvage value of the vehicle at $2,500 (with a full tank of gas). This is the perfect car for people who simply view cars as a means of getting from Point A to Point B with little concern for styling and prestige nor need for luxury or extreme speed or acceleration. I forgot to mention a water leak in the front windshield, but I have fixed it with multiple applications of water resistant caulking that some people might find unattractive, but the windshield people wanted $200 to "reset" the windshield glass, an amount that I was disinclined to pay. So far I am happy with this car, but realize that over the long run I could possibly be disappointed.
08-20-2022, 12:38 PM - 2 Likes   #2637
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My colours black,blue,black,red,silver,red,blue,black,black,silver....a limited palette!

Last edited by timb64; 08-21-2022 at 07:08 AM.
08-20-2022, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #2638
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

black - burnt orange - silver - blue - burgundy - white - blue - silver - sandstone - silver - red (current)
08-20-2022, 06:38 PM - 2 Likes   #2639

Photos: Albums
My car colors: red, red, blue, black, green, silver (not by choice), red.

Basically, I like an actual color - anything but the ubiquitous white, silver, grey, & to some extent, black.

My current car (Mazda 3 Sedan) isn't what you would normally call an off-road vehicle, but this is a picture from last week.

Last edited by bogwalker; 08-20-2022 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Accidentally duplicated entry
08-20-2022, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #2640
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll buy your personalized plates. I haven't any plates from New Zealand in my license plate collection.
Personalized plates change hands for silly money here. But, I can certainly send you a pair of ordinary plates. I'll flick you a PM.