Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2022, 06:55 PM - 2 Likes   #2641
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bogwalker Quote
My car colors: red, red, blue, black, green, silver (not by choice), red.

Basically, I like an actual color - anything but the ubiquitous white, silver, grey, & to some extent, black.

My current car (Mazda 3 Sedan) isn't what you would normally call an off-road vehicle, but this is a picture from last week.
I like it! Reminds me of a little red Mazda my wife had years ago. We would go on holiday and drive it practically anywhere. We once turned up at a scenic lookout on top of a mountain and there were only 4x4 trucks there. They were rather incredulous that we drove there in an ordinary car. We used to call it "The forest Ferrari".

08-20-2022, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #2642
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by bogwalker Quote
My car colors: red, red, blue, black, green, silver (not by choice), red.

Basically, I like an actual color - anything but the ubiquitous white, silver, grey, & to some extent, black.

My current car (Mazda 3 Sedan) isn't what you would normally call an off-road vehicle, but this is a picture from last week.
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I like it! Reminds me of a little red Mazda my wife had years ago. We would go on holiday and drive it practically anywhere. We once turned up at a scenic lookout on top of a mountain and there were only 4x4 trucks there. They were rather incredulous that we drove there in an ordinary car. We used to call it "The forest Ferrari".
The '66 Beetle I had was fun that way. My buddies and I would set off on a muddy, rutted forest service road, and at the top of some of the higher areas we would pop into a clearing filled with jacked up American pickups with huge oversize tires, surrounded by incredulous drivers. They were dumbstruck that we could make it up the trail.

If we did go up a path that proved impassable for the Beetle, we hopped out, picked the car up by the front bumper, and swung it 'round, to head back and try a different fork in the road.

Fun times.
08-20-2022, 11:18 PM - 2 Likes   #2643
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The '66 Beetle I had was fun that way. My buddies and I would set off on a muddy, rutted forest service road, and at the top of some of the higher areas we would pop into a clearing filled with jacked up American pickups with huge oversize tires, surrounded by incredulous drivers. They were dumbstruck that we could make it up the trail.

If we did go up a path that proved impassable for the Beetle, we hopped out, picked the car up by the front bumper, and swung it 'round, to head back and try a different fork in the road.

Fun times.
Reminds me of the beetle based beach buggies that were practically everywhere when I was a kid. Great fun!

Now that I think of that, I had a client back in South Africa, a long time ago. Very, very, very wealthy British guy. Houses (well, to call them houses would in itself be a bit of an understatement) in several countries around the world, butler, housekeeping staff, chef, private plane, the whole works. And his absolute favourite car was a beach buggy.
08-21-2022, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #2644
Pentaxian

Reminds me of the beetle based beach buggies that were practically everywhere when I was a kid. Great fun!

Now that I think of that, I had a client back in South Africa, a long time ago. Very, very, very wealthy British guy. Houses (well, to call them houses would in itself be a bit of an understatement) in several countries around the world, butler, housekeeping staff, chef, private plane, the whole works. And his absolute favourite car was a beach buggy.
Was the wealthy British guy's beach buggy, based on a aircooled VW or...a Bentley ?

08-21-2022, 12:34 PM - 4 Likes   #2645
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is my current vehicle. (well, this and a Honda Metropolitan scooter). I've had the truck 3 years now and I like it better than any I've had in the past. The only down-side is that dual rear wheels have less traction than singles on snow and ice but the weight of the camper largely compensates for the duals.
Attached Images

08-21-2022, 01:47 PM   #2646
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
This is my current vehicle. (well, this and a Honda Metropolitan scooter). I've had the truck 3 years now and I like it better than any I've had in the past. The only down-side is that dual rear wheels have less traction than singles on snow and ice but the weight of the camper largely compensates for the duals.
That's a beautiful beast.
08-21-2022, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #2647
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Was the wealthy British guy's beach buggy, based on a aircooled VW or...a Bentley ?
Very ordinary Volkswagen Beetle underpinnings.
I did ask him why he preferred the beach buggy over everything else and he said it made him feel young.

08-21-2022, 03:17 PM   #2648
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Beefy.

Urea?

Oh, and when four wheels in the rear don't get enough traction, ask the two up front for help, eh?

cheesy
08-21-2022, 03:43 PM - 2 Likes   #2649
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Urea?
Yep.

Oh, and when four wheels in the rear don't get enough traction, ask the two up front for help, eh?
D'Oh! Why didn't I think of that?
08-23-2022, 02:16 PM - 4 Likes   #2650
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
This is the beach buggy for the discerning and wealthy British gentleman

08-23-2022, 04:50 PM   #2651
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crossed-up Quote

https://youtu.be/o8dWW5QwKDY
Indeed. Great little car. I know someone with one. It goes like a cut cat!
09-09-2022, 06:04 PM   #2652
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The one complaint I've had about my 2010 Hyundai Genesis sedan (saloon) is the lack of road feedback. I ended up getting fully adjustable coilovers and it fixed that one missing piece. Now my complaint is that you can't fully turn off the traction control or have normal cruise control, only Smart cruise control or no cruise control.
09-09-2022, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #2653
Pentaxian

One of my past, favourite cars, was our '07 Buick sedan, 6 passenger capacity with the legendary Buick 90 degree V6 that was used in everything from early '60's Buicks to Jeeps, Indy cars and the fearsome Buick GN-X muscle car.

I would drive that Buick anywhere, Manitoba Ice Roads , cruise very comfortably on US Interstates, and on a couple of occasions into the Big Valley....down, then up an extremely steep , narrow roadway...usually only traversed by 4WD trucks. We got a few 'looks' from these guys as we drove into the base of the valley, to have a break at Snake creek...which flows through the valley.

The 'looks' from the off roaders, I would loosely translate...as 'Are you NUTS driving that big Buick down here ! '
09-09-2022, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #2654
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crossed-up Quote

https://youtu.be/o8dWW5QwKDY
We have a few Morgans over here, but not too many. A Morgan that I really liked (great looks) was a modern coupe, which I believe was owned...maybe still is...by Top Gear guy, Richard Hammond.
09-26-2022, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #2655
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Almost triple the horsepower!

Interesting segment on Ford "crate motor" electric conversion kits:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fords-eluminator-kit-turns-gas-222406189.html

Chris