Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2015, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Suggestions for sites in San Francisco

We will be visiting SFO for a couple of days next weekend. Staying in Union Square and driving around from there - Muir Woods park, city (e.g. Lombard St), beach, restaurants - mostly.

(A) Any suggestions on specific spots that make for great shots?

(B) Also - what lenses from my holdings below work best?
Thinking of taking these:
  1. Sigma 10-20mm (beach, landscapes)
  2. Pentax 18-135mm (general purpose)
  3. Pentax HD 55-300mm WR (birds, seals)
  4. Pentax 35mm F2.4 plastic (not sure about this)
  5. Pentax O-GPS1

Not taking these but open to suggestions otherwise: Pentax 50mm macro, Pentax (Manual) 50mm F1.4, Pentax (Manual) 28mm F3.5, Sears (Manual) 135mm F2.8, Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3.
(C) Is it an overkill to lug all these with K-50, considering that we won't have a whole lot of time there? Take a monopod too or just leave it behind?

- Hobby photographer, and a novice at that.

07-10-2015, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Coit tower is interesting on its own and is on a hill so it has nice views. Parking is bad.

The Sutro baths ruin near the Cliff House restaurant is a nice little outing. Parking available up the hill.

The Legion of Honor museum on the west side is good.

Palace of Fine Arts is good for a picnic.

Last edited by SpecialK; 07-11-2015 at 10:57 PM.
07-10-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Those look gorgeous!
07-10-2015, 01:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by realitarian Quote
We will be visiting SFO for a couple of days next weekend. Staying in Union Square and driving around from there - Muir Woods park, city (e.g. Lombard St), beach, restaurants - mostly.

(A) Any suggestions on specific spots that make for great shots?

(B) Also - what lenses from my holdings below work best?
Thinking of taking these:
  1. Sigma 10-20mm (beach, landscapes)
  2. Pentax 18-135mm (general purpose)
  3. Pentax HD 55-300mm WR (birds, seals)
  4. Pentax 35mm F2.4 plastic (not sure about this)
  5. Pentax O-GPS1

Not taking these but open to suggestions otherwise: Pentax 50mm macro, Pentax (Manual) 50mm F1.4, Pentax (Manual) 28mm F3.5, Sears (Manual) 135mm F2.8, Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3.
(C) Is it an overkill to lug all these with K-50, considering that we won't have a whole lot of time there? Take a monopod too or just leave it behind?

- Hobby photographer, and a novice at that.
I spent a week in SF at the end of May and about 3 months planning a daily itinerary. Here are some of my ideas based on that trip:

-Sigma 10-20mm (beach, landscapes) - Best beaches in immediate area are Baker and Marshall Beaches (150+ stairs to get to), or about 1.5 hours away are Kehoe and McClure in Point Reyes. You really need a tripod for landscapes to do them "properly". Even Muir woods will be tough to handhold and keep the iso low in the morning, and you don't want to get THERE any later than 8 or 9a, trust me.

-Pentax 18-135mm (general purpose) - would use to fill the 21-54mm gap since you don't have a high IQ 17/18-50

-Pentax HD 55-300mm WR (birds, seals) - Fisherman's wharf is great area for lounging seal lions and birds and there are railings you can use, but a monopod gives you more control of angles. The SF Zoo is also very nice for animal pics, its very well designed and as a bonus not far from Baker Beach which could be a sunrise locale.

-Pentax 35mm F2.4 plastic (not sure about this) - bring it for landscape work, it'll be more useful than you think and it weighs next to nothing.

-Pentax O-GPS1 - I personally would have no use for this unless planning on doing star shots, but with the city light pollution, not a lot of stars to found

If I only had two days, Point Reyes would be my first day (South and North Beach (2 additional beaches) have great dunes and can be photogenic even in midday sunlight), and SF cityscapes/locales would be my second. I think given your options, that's not a bad choice for lenses. Also, if you plan on driving across the Golden Gate Bridge, all tolls (southbound) are e-tolls (no attendants), which means you must register a cc and license plate prior, or pay the toll within ~48 hours online or face a fine. Don't use the rental car company toll paying service, because they tack on service charges for every day of rental REGARDLESS of whether you incur a toll or not on any given day.

07-10-2015, 01:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
nomadkng - great advice! Thank you.
07-10-2015, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
Also, if you plan on driving across the Golden Gate Bridge, all tolls (southbound) are e-tolls (no attendants), which means you must register a cc and license plate prior, or pay the toll within ~48 hours online or face a fine.
They will send a bill in the mail - about a month later in my case.

Pt Reyes is nice but it will take all of a day to get there and back due to traffic on two-lane roads.

There is also a Nike missile museum on that side of the bridge. Limited hours, but they have a nice tour.

If you keep going west on the N side of the bridge, you will come to this lighthouse. Again, limited access (weekends only I think) as someone has to open the gate on the tunnel...

There is historic Crissy Field for walking around. Get to it through the Presidio.

[URL=ht

Last edited by SpecialK; 07-10-2015 at 02:18 PM.
07-10-2015, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

you could message mikeSF as I think he lives there

07-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Angel Island and Alcatraz are fun. The 49 mile drive is fun as well.
07-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had a great time - covered as much as we could in 2.5 days including work-related meetings.Here are 25 pictures for your viewing pleasure - note how the K-50 and 18-135mm lived up to their "WR" ratings in a couple of the pictures. Go Pentax!

https://flic.kr/s/aHskgDAaUz

The tip on the tolls was spot-on, I paid the toll online the day after we crossed the Golden Gate and avoided getting hassled by the car rental company.

Thank you again all, for your input.
07-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

sweet