Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry you had your gear stolen, and hope you get it all replaced. It happened to me a few years back. Locked my vehicle in all day parking with my camera bag on the back seat, came back some hours later to find the rear window smashed and the bag gone. (yep we do have crime in sleepy Melbourne Town)

The silver lining was the insurance company came good after I gave them a list of the stolen gear. Unfortunately they said they couldn't replace my M28mm, so would I mind if they substituted the closest focal length - the FA31. I took a deep breath and accepted

Then they told me they couldn't replace the manual focus 85mm Samyung because the company they deal with didn't stock them, Would I mind if they replaced it with the FA77? Bugger! says me... I guess that will have to do. double

Then when I came to pick up the gear at a city camera store instead of the kit 18-55 only, some clerk had put in the bag a K-x with 18-55. So I also got a free camera! Triple

I hope you get a silver lining to your tale of woe too.

07-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
i once had a rare manuscript that was supposed to have been someone's alien abduction experience. After the abduction experience ended and the manuscript was completed, the person involved was still aware of their presence, and sent the manuscript to the aliens. It was sent back with small hand written notes in red ink in the margins. So these we're colour photocopies of the manuscript. I managed to borrow one from a friend who had managed to borrow it from someone else, and someone broke into my car and stole it. So i tell my insurance agent i had a rare manuscript that was purportedly annotated by aliens and that i had no idea how much it was worth. We eventually went with 20 bucks, about the cost of another photocopy.
lm*ao
07-13-2015, 04:59 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Lol you could not write a better story than that manuscript.

Amazing story with the insurance replacing the physical items. Here they just give ( the least possible ) the money.

I had a car totaled. I sent them a dozen ads here is my car any of these are acceptable just go get it. All were in the 15k range. I end up with a check for 10k. Mysteriously about what I owed ( I was way right side up).

The first agent asked me how much I owed. I said it doesn't really matter but if you have to know I owe just under one million does that help ?

It took 4 years to settle the personal injury the lawyer got half. I ended up just slightly over what I was out of pocket.
07-13-2015, 08:09 AM   #49
Veteran Member

My #1 rule is never leave my weapon in the car, always take it with you. If the place you wanted to go is posted No Weapons then do business else where. Sorry to hear about the lost lenses.

07-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #50
Veteran Member

I'd like to put a bag in the back seat with some c4. Maybe not enough to kill them but enough to take a hand off. Or at least something to take the eyes.

Probably not realistic but nice to think on.
07-17-2015, 08:50 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Chances are slim, btw, since there's little money to buy high-end things around here, but I could keep an eye on the pawnshops around here, a little east of there. If anything as high-end as a Limited turned up here it would surely stand out, possibly even to the pawnbrokers who pretty much financed my K20d when he was new by insisting there was no value in manual-focus Nikkors... (even fairly exotic ones, see. I was like, "Hey, do you know what this *is?! This is worth way more than fifty bucks!" (broker was more interested in being right than some random chick with a Boston accent being helpful, so was all like, "Manual focus ain't worth crap, honey,(or however they say that down here,) " (and probably they weren't, not to him or whoever sold them) Then like capitalism occurred to me and I was like, "OKay, then. I think I will *buy* these." )

The hitch there is they pretty much gave up on selling a bunch of old lenses for anything in the first place but may still find some filtering in. A suspicion that's crept in is maybe cause they aren't looking to ask too many questions, you know? One lens looks much like another to a thief, of course.

Anyway, I could look here and there. Who knows.
07-23-2015, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Quick update - insurance came through without problems. I've already replaced a few lenses and other items. I've learned my lesson but I'm getting everything back.

Thanks folks.

07-23-2015, 08:55 PM   #53
Pentaxian

good deal
07-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Great to hear!
07-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I once had a rare manuscript that was supposed to have been someone's alien abduction experience. After the abduction experience ended and the manuscript was completed, the person involved was still aware of their presence, and sent the manuscript to the aliens. It was sent back with small hand written notes in red ink in the margins. SO these we're colour photocopies of the manuscript. I managed to borrow one from a friend who had managed to borrow it from someone else, and someone broke into my car and stole it. So I tell my insurance agent I had a rare manuscript that was purportedly annotated by aliens and that I had no idea how much it was worth. We eventually went with 20 bucks, about the cost of another photocopy.
Has Canada legalized weed? That could explain why you wrote that story
07-24-2015, 12:21 PM   #56
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
Quick update - insurance came through without problems. I've already replaced a few lenses and other items. I've learned my lesson but I'm getting everything back.

Thanks folks.
Excellent, glad to hear that!
07-24-2015, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
good deal
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Great to hear!
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Excellent, glad to hear that!
Thanks so much guys.

The lenses and other accessories were easy. The most difficult is getting a drivers license in Georgia. The break in happened on the 3rd day of my new life as a Georgian BEFORE I had a chance to get a GA license. I still don't have a license and am still dealing with this.

The good news is someone found my concealed carry license and sent it back to my TX address. No name but there is a return address and a short note that said "Found in Atlanta." I will send this Good Samaritan a gift card.

The thieves must've thrown everything away after taking the cash.
07-24-2015, 06:30 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
They must have been right there watching you leave your car with your camera, & figured you didn't bring everything with you. That really sucks. I wonder how long it would have taken them to break open a locked car trunk?

edit: good to hear your insurance co. is taking care of things.
They were hanging around the area or they followed you. This is one time a dash camera for front and rear would have been very handy.

At least your gear was insured. Whew!
07-24-2015, 08:32 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
They were hanging around the area or they followed you. This is one time a dash camera for front and rear would have been very handy.

At least your gear was insured. Whew!
Exactly what happened. They probably would have stolen a dash camera if I had one.

My lenses were insured as part of my homeowners policy.