Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Compass Confusion

I misplaced the top compass years ago, and eventually replaced it with the one on the bottom. Recently, the original one turned up. I'm pretty certain that the red pointer used to point North!!

07-12-2015, 09:21 AM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This might help you with your compass:

How to Read a Compass
07-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
This might help you with your compass:

How to Read a Compass
LOL, thank you very much, Carol. I did use them a little on various backpacking trips, and pretty much constantly in my previous life as a geologist. Never had one reverse polarity, however.
07-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a guess, but with them sitting so close together, could the metal needles themselves be attracting each other?

07-12-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

my guess according to the markings.....the 2 gray lines @ north and the gray dot on the red would indicate north.......would believe it if the compass lead me away from the sun (n.h.)
07-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Just a guess, but with them sitting so close together, could the metal needles themselves be attracting each other?
Good guess, but no, the older compass always points South, now. Of all the compasses I have ever seen, if there is a red pointer, it points North. Those gray lines and the dot on the red pointer are photo luminescent, so it is supposed to be the North pointer. Haha, this isn't a prank, just thought it was weird and thought I'd share.
07-12-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Real men don't use or need a compass. We don't need camera manuals or instruction booklets either. We just instinctively know the right directions and how to use equipment or put it together. We decide where to go and just point in that direction and go. Sure, it sometimes happens that we end up in Mexico City on our way to Montreal, but hey, it makes a trip interesting!

I do admit that my youngest son was once outraged that his new bike had handlebars on the seat mount, but he got used to it.

Best Regards!
07-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
I'm pretty certain that the red pointer used to point North!!

A few months ago I found a compass that somebody had dropped on Dartmoor and it had done exactly the same thing as yours -- switched so that the needle pointed south. I'd be fascinated if somebody knew a plausible explanation for this phenomenon, because it's one of the strangest things I've ever seen. The geology here on Dartmoor is mostly granite, and I can't think of any mechanism that would make granite cause a compass to switch poles.

EDIT: Apparently a compass can reverse polarity if you carry it too close to your cell phone: the phone's magnetic field is enough to flip the compass. I never knew that, but I'll be careful to keep them well separated in the future. When the fog comes down on Dartmoor, your map and compass are your lifeline.

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 07-12-2015 at 11:31 AM.
07-12-2015, 11:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
A few months ago I found a compass that somebody had dropped on Dartmoor and it had done exactly the same thing as yours -- switched so that the needle pointed south. I'd be fascinated if somebody knew a plausible explanation for this phenomenon, because it's one of the strangest things I've ever seen. The geology here on Dartmoor is mostly granite, and I can't think of any mechanism that would make granite cause a compass to switch poles.

EDIT: Apparently a compass can reverse polarity if you carry it too close to your cell phone: the phone's magnetic field is enough to flip the compass. I never knew that, but I'll be careful to keep them well separated in the future. When the fog comes down on Dartmoor, your map and compass are your lifeline.
Well, while it's never been close to a phone (or accidentally taken into an MRI), I'm thinking that I may have tossed it in a magnetic motorcycle tank bag at some point in the past... maybe. With a phone now-a-days, you don't need a compass. " When the fog comes down on Dartmoor, your map and compass are your lifeline"- that's a good first line for your novel, lol.

---------- Post added 07-12-15 at 03:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Real men don't use or need a compass. We don't need camera manuals or instruction booklets either. We just instinctively know the right directions and how to use equipment or put it together. We decide where to go and just point in that direction and go. Sure, it sometimes happens that we end up in Mexico City on our way to Montreal, but hey, it makes a trip interesting!

I do admit that my youngest son was once outraged that his new bike had handlebars on the seat mount, but he got used to it.

Best Regards!
I... admit to reading manuals...
If I plan on being out in the boonies, where there might be no cell towers, I toss one in, and a paper map, just in case GPS doesn't work for some reason.