Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Recent Problems With Goodwill Online...

Just a heads up but lately I've gotten several very badly fungus infected kits off Goodwill Online. To their credit each store when apprised of it happening did refund me but it's been very clear that some stores on there of late are either not checking their listings at all or are now listing infected items hoping that people will just not care. This has not been a big problem to my knowledge in the past but the past month or so more of the stuff I have bought than not has ended up being so and at this point I just want to give you guys a heads up and let you know which stores it happened with so you can avoid them.

Negative Experience:

Goodwill Middle Tennesee
Goodwill of Finger Lakes
Goodwill of Northern Central PA

Positive Experience:

Ontario Great Lakes Goodwill
Tacoma Goodwill
Seattle Goodwill

Seattle and Tacoma are pretty knowledgeable about gear actually from what I can tell and pretty careful about what they list. I've never gotten anything bad from them, ever. Ontario, the kits I recently got from them they were very clean, so much so I was impressed. Someone either took the time to check them out clean them up or they were in immaculate condition to begin with. One of the cameras had a bit of a slow film advance lever, but it still works, and the rest they were almost like new.

If you have had a bad kit from a particular store or have had a good experience with a particular store will you add it to this list? I'm thinking people on here might really appreciate the input as otherwise doing auctions and buying from Goodwill Online it can be quite the crap shoot. Me, I'm fed up with getting fungus infected stuff and I'm keeping a list and starting to avoid any stores that I've had such issues with. I do expect used gear to sometimes have problems. I'm not unreasonable that I expect perfect gear every time, but stores that don't say what obvious problems there are and/or that try to pass of gear that is just loaded with fungus as sell-able really tick me off. A spot you might miss, but a whole kit that has tons of it? Not hardly. There is no excuse for listing something like that.

Yesterday I got a kit that had every lens in it infected, and I'm talking full bloom. I'd like to say that was the first time recently, but actually it was the THIRD kit like that in the past couple of weeks so I'm offering a friendly warning, be careful because QC with Goodwill auctions lately isn't all that great. My experience with the stores in the North West has been generally very good. The rest of the country, not so hot...

I'm actually still waiting on the SP and lenses kit I won from Southern CA. I have high hopes for that one because it looked very nice in the pics, and it's a West Coast store, but I'll have to let you know how that turns out.

Last edited by magkelly; 07-14-2015 at 02:44 PM.
07-14-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You managed to win an auction from Goodwill of the Finger Lakes. Everything I've ever seen from them has been crap with way too high a reserve price. I won't even bother goimg to their stores.

My last few purchases...

Problems - GW of Big Bend - Tallahassee, FL
GW of NY & Northern NJ - Astoria
GW of the Olympics and Ranier Region - Tacoma, WA
GW of Southern Arizona - Tucson, AZ
Seattle Goodwill - Seattle, WA

No problems - GW of Central Florida - Orlando
GW of Central East Texas - Lufkin
GW of Lane & South Coast Counties - Eugene, OR
GW of Denver - Denver, CO
GW of South Central Wisconsin - Madison
GW of Orange County - Santa Ana, CA
GW of Columbia-Willamette - Hillsboro, OR
GW of the Heartland - Iowa City, IA
GW of Middle Tennessee - Nashville, TN
GW of Western NY - Buffalo

Some of these go back 2 years. I've had more problems with Arizona and Florida than any of the others.

Last edited by boriscleto; 07-14-2015 at 03:57 PM.
07-14-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
Forum Member

I bought a Goodwill Tamron 28-200 and it was as clean as new. Spotless. I bought a 'mint' M50/1.7 off ebay and there was not even a fingerprint on it. No sign of even a mounting. Take a good look at the Goodwill pics, you can even ask questions, like "shine a light in there, see any spiderwebs?"
07-14-2015, 06:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had some weird experiences with goodwill online. A hutch they said was too heavy for two of them to move ( I moved it in by myself duh) and a perfect recliner not old at all that never made it to the show room ( I was curious to see the price they put on it ).

Had the DAV schedule to pick up an ok couch and chair ( not worn, just earth tones). They promised to come out on a Tuesday then a Wednesday then a Thursday the for sure Friday. I went to reserve duty. It poured rain all day Sunday. The called me Monday afternoon and said they don't take furniture that has been rained on.

Now I just throw everything by the road or if I'm in a hurry set it on fire in the parking lot.

07-16-2015, 06:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm really surprised to see Seattle on there as a bad store from some of you. Only good experiences from them and from Tacoma. Wow...
07-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
I too am a Goodwill addict. I have had some good, some bad. Tucson seems to like 'bundling' they put one or maybe two decent items bundled with all the stuff they couldn't sell and sell at a lot. I resist this because I am a packrat and I see jewels everywhere....even when there aren't any. More and more I see them 'parting out' kits and selling items separately rather than in a kit. Much less desirable IMO. I've also seen at least one that starts their auctions way too high. $99 bucks for a Canon AE-1 with no lens? As far as other problems, I simply avoid buying from stores back east. Seems to have worked so far!
07-16-2015, 09:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, they've definitely figured out some lenses are worth splitting them from a kit and the pricing lately is getting rather crazy on some things. About the only thing I can still get cheap is Minolta gear and even that is rising of late. It's all the M43 people paying for lenses to adapt I think.
07-19-2015, 02:34 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The thing that I noticed when I have looked at goodwill online was that very few items have any good descriptions and or good photographs in the auctions.

I think I might know the reasons behind this.

recently, here in Indiana, goodwill has advertised for the job of item photographer. Pay of $7.25 an hour and must do 12 items an hour. I believe the photographer is also writing the description along with doing the photography. I can see why there would be problems in the ads because with that low of a pay, all they could hire would be people that don't care or don't have a clue.

07-20-2015, 07:40 PM   #9
Forum Member

12 items an hour? Some of those have 5-7 pics a piece....one a minute. That'll burn you out real quick. Get the cell phone out!