Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
UH, OH, Don't Like This. No Thanks Microsoft!!!!

When I think of the times over the years that I've had to uninstall a security update and repair my system via system restore or even reload it completely because Microsoft effed it up and caused my machines to totally glitch I do NOT approve of this. You should be able to disable automatic updates so you can look them up for problems first. This is just crazy.

Microsoft Windows 10 Updates Will Be Mandatory For 10 Years - Forbes

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/07/windows-10-updates-to-...or-home-users/

07-21-2015, 04:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I ran the beta version and I'm not worried. In Win 7 I left the auto updates turned on, and whenever I had an issue with an update, which was rare but did happen, I uninstalled it through Control Panel. Remember too that both of these articles are based on suppositions and not yet fact.

The huge plus side of Win 10 is the compatibility and user interface between platforms, including desktop/laptops, tablets and smartphones, which I think will be a huge plus for MS. My last four versions of Android builds for my smartphone have all been quirky about interfacing with my Windows desktop, including one version that was absolutely a nightmare to try and swap files with. Even the latest version allows me up load from the phone but gets down right nasty with Word or Excel files if I try to save them back to the phone after making changes to them. Other pluses to 10 is it's being offered as free to Win 7 and 8 users, and it restores some of the functions Windows 8 initially left off (or hid) like the Start button.

Windows is saying that Win 10 is the last version of Windows. At some point in the fairly immediate future, you will no longer be able to buy the operating system but will lease it instead. The lease will be based upon the life of the computer, so it's not a lot different than buying it, but what concerns many is how well it will continue to support old machines (think Windows 95 users) and what will happen with upgraders who replace major components in computers like motherboards and processors. The later group will be forced to do another lease, at least as it things are presently understood.
07-21-2015, 06:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm Microsoft have a long history of engineering incompatibility with other systems in my opinion, as a means of vendor lock-in. I think the whole computing landscape has been shaped by this. Some years ago I decided I did not want to be a part of this and went solely (wherever possible) with Linux. Yes at times I jump through hoops, and sometimes it requires deeper knowledge of computers, but at least I don't face that feeling of being manipulated by a company that doesn't give two hoots about its users.
07-21-2015, 06:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I ran the beta version and I'm not worried.
My friend that owns a local computer store has been running X10 beta for some time now and reports it is excellent and has found very few problems and they were all very minor.
I am computer ignorant compared to most here but do intend to go with a new machine and X10 in the near future. My only concern is if many of my old software programs will cross over from my XP to X10? Some of my photo software is very old but very good and I'd hate to lose it.
Tom, do you foresee this as a problem?

Regards!

07-21-2015, 06:45 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
My friend that owns a local computer store has been running X10 beta for some time now and reports it is excellent and has found very few problems and they were all very minor.
I am computer ignorant compared to most here but do intend to go with a new machine and X10 in the near future. My only concern is if many of my old software programs will cross over from my XP to X10? Some of my photo software is very old but very good and I'd hate to lose it.

Regards!
QuoteQuote:
Most programs designed for the 32-bit version of Windows will work on the 64-bit version of Windows. Notable exceptions are many antivirus programs.

Device drivers designed for the 32-bit version of Windows don't work on computers running a 64-bit version of Windows. If you're trying to install a printer or other device that only has 32-bit drivers available, it won't work correctly on a 64-bit version of Windows. To learn how to check for drivers, see Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly or go to the device manufacturer's website. You can also get information about drivers by going to the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor webpage.
Same basically applies to Windows 10...
07-21-2015, 06:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's going on another drive completely. I'll try it out but I'm not upgrading and if at all possible I will prevent any updates sans my approval. Someone will hack that, give us an application that prevents MS from going there unasked. My drive now it stays. I will be dual booting till i see for myself that this works out okay. I just don't trust them, I really don't. I've had some serious crashes in the past because of automatic updates and bad patches or service packs. I am leery...
07-21-2015, 08:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Regards!
If you are currently running 7 or 8, no, I see no problems for older software. If you're moving from anything older, then perhaps. Win 7 was a lot more friendly to operating older programs than some earlier versions of Windows, and I didn't see any changes in that when running 10.

07-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I've rarely rarely had trouble with an update actually breaking things (and was very minor usually), the main problem I have with automatic updates is that is just DOES THEM whenever. I've got computers actually doing computing in "production" environments that are busy all the time. i.e. things that can't be interrupted and need the full power of the machine. And when it randomly starts installing stuff that bogs down everything and then wants to do a restart -- well I can't do a restart right now, or for the next 12 hours maybe, or maybe even the next 2 days. So I do the updates when I can do them, but it needs to be on my timetable. I don't like MS or any other program thinking it can just take over my machine any old time when I've got work to do.

---------- Post added 07-21-15 at 11:13 AM ----------

Win 7 was a lot more friendly to operating older programs than some earlier versions of Windows, and I didn't see any changes in that when running 10.
The introduction of Win7 is exactly when a lot of old programs that ran on XP stopped working -- there is plenty of older stuff it doesn't support. I had to help several people set-up virtual XP environments (either in VirtualBox or the Microsoft Virtual XP) so they could run their old software they've been using for years.
07-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

My experience with Windows 7 (and Vista before that) has been near-perfect. I've never had an update break anything.

My current homebuilt PC will probably remain with Windows 7. It's getting old and some of the motherboard USB ports are dead so the system isn't worth upgrading. I'll probably wait for Surface Pro 4 then evaluate replacing my desktop + laptop + Android tablet with a single Windows 10 device.
07-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I've rarely rarely had trouble with an update actually breaking things (and was very minor usually), the main problem I have with automatic updates is that is just DOES THEM whenever. I've got computers actually doing computing in "production" environments that are busy all the time. i.e. things that can't be interrupted and need the full power of the machine. And when it randomly starts installing stuff that bogs down everything and then wants to do a restart -- well I can't do a restart right now, or for the next 12 hours maybe, or maybe even the next 2 days. So I do the updates when I can do them, but it needs to be on my timetable. I don't like MS or any other program thinking it can just take over my machine any old time when I've got work to do.

---------- Post added 07-21-15 at 11:13 AM ----------

The introduction of Win7 is exactly when a lot of old programs that ran on XP stopped working -- there is plenty of older stuff it doesn't support. I had to help several people set-up virtual XP environments (either in VirtualBox or the Microsoft Virtual XP) so they could run their old software they've been using for years.
That was true when first introduced but the service pack should have resolved any issues. I have lots of old software, including games that ran/run fine on 7. But you are correct, virtual environments could fix problem programs.
07-21-2015, 10:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian

That was true when first introduced but the service pack should have resolved any issues. I have lots of old software, including games that ran/run fine on 7. But you are correct, virtual environments could fix problem programs.
Some of the stuff was problematic EVEN for XP (needed to run in some older compatibility mode) -- there are diehards out there running REALLY old stuff (because the programs have been orphaned and the users still want to use them). I've even had to setup DOSBOX (DOS emulator) for some people to run old DOS programs they claim they can't live without. Software they've been running for decades. (This is specialized custom software that can't be replaced without hiring someone at great expense to reprogram the whole thing from scratch and guessing at some of the algorithms.)
07-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #12
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I've rarely rarely had trouble with an update actually breaking things (and was very minor usually), the main problem I have with automatic updates is that is just DOES THEM whenever.
if big updates happen when the computer is first turned on for the day, it effectively lengthens the boot up time considerably, which is really irritating.

fortunately there are several settings in the control panel-->windows update area that give the user complete control over when or even if the updates happen.

win7 is a huge upgrade over winxp, in just about every area, and if the early adapter reports are to be believed, win10 looks pretty solid as well.

i have a couple of win8 lumia phones, which are a mixed bag... there is truly no start button, and afaik, unlike win8 on a computer, you can't add a start button.

~240 free minutes via ringplus, tho, with no monthly charge, and after the rebate the phone is gonna cost about $5.

mft just laid off a bunch of their windows phone people, but if this thing tanks, i'm out nothing.
07-21-2015, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
fortunately there are several settings in the control panel-->windows update area that give the user complete control over when or even if the updates happen.
Well yes, and I use that control, but the whole original point of this thread is that control may go away in Windows 10 and it will just install updates when it feels like it and you can't turn it off. One possible solution would be to use a firewall at the router level so windows can only reach its update server when you allow it through. But then it may incessantly complain about update connection errors or something...
07-21-2015, 01:43 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Weill, I had Microsoft Streets and Trips 2013 on my laptop. I have a real need for an off line mapping program. Now it will no longer start up citing licensing issues. This started just after Microsoft dropped support for this program. I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall it. It won't reinstall either citing the same licensing issues. This is a purchased copy of a program that Microsoft decided that I no longer needed. To say I am pissed is an understatement. I could care less about the so called cloud system. I need a stand alone program that does not need to be on line to work.

When I got this laptop it had Windows 8 on it. I was bombarded with free upgrades to Windows 8.1. I kept turning them down. Then one day I fired it up and it loaded 8.1 without even asking me. It took me days to get everything working again. I hate the arrogance of that company. Leave my effing computer alone and don't tell me that I cannot use programs that I legally purchased from you,.

The language in this post does not reflect the level of frustration I feel about Microsoft at the moment. I kept it clean because this is a family orienteted site.
07-21-2015, 03:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks Microsoft for making my decision to switch to a Mac much easier !