Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2015, 03:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Digital Cable looks terrible !

A couple of weeks ago I got a letter from my Cable TV/Internet provider that they would be switching over to all Digital channels. I was surprised that all my channels were not Digital but apparently 80% of those channels were actually analog. The letter stated that the all digital conversion would result in more channels, increased performance Picture & Sound and increased reliability. All I had to do was call in to a 1-800 number and order my Free Digital converter which I did.

A couple of days ago my Free Digital converter came in the mail. I was so excited that I wasted no time reading the instructions and installing the Free Digital converter on my TV. After all how many times have I received something that would improve my life for Free ?

After about 1/2 hour of haggling, I was ready to turn on the TV and enjoy all the channels in full digital ! Unfortunately I was surprised if not shocked to see that the new Picture looked worse than the old one. The colors were highly inaccurate, unnatural and had this greenish cast to them. Total disappointment is putting it mildly ! After the initial shock I settled down and began fine tuning my TV to get it to look like it use to look. I was no longer looking for an improvement I just wanted the TV to look like it used to. I managed to correct the ghoulish green cast after about an hour of fiddling and some channels seem to display relatively accurate color although the colors just looked unnatural. What I mean by unnatural is that instead of peoples faces showing some texture they showed no texture or features at all . They all look like dolls or mannequins.

I tried calling the cable provider, but they told me the decision to go Digital is Final and there is no going back !! Analog service will end in September. This is sad because I have 2 other TV's in my home that I need to adapt to the new Digital service. So far, I am refusing to do it because it makes no sense to me...

07-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
A couple of weeks ago I got a letter from my Cable TV/Internet provider that they would be switching over to all Digital channels. I was surprised that all my channels were not Digital but apparently 80% of those channels were actually analog. The letter stated that the all digital conversion would result in more channels, increased performance Picture & Sound and increased reliability. All I had to do was call in to a 1-800 number and order my Free Digital converter which I did.

A couple of days ago my Free Digital converter came in the mail. I was so excited that I wasted no time reading the instructions and installing the Free Digital converter on my TV. After all how many times have I received something that would improve my life for Free ?

After about 1/2 hour of haggling, I was ready to turn on the TV and enjoy all the channels in full digital ! Unfortunately I was surprised if not shocked to see that the new Picture looked worse than the old one. The colors were highly inaccurate, unnatural and had this greenish cast to them. Total disappointment is putting it mildly ! After the initial shock I settled down and began fine tuning my TV to get it to look like it use to look. I was no longer looking for an improvement I just wanted the TV to look like it used to. I managed to correct the ghoulish green cast after about an hour of fiddling and some channels seem to display relatively accurate color although the colors just looked unnatural. What I mean by unnatural is that instead of peoples faces showing some texture they showed no texture or features at all . They all look like dolls or mannequins.

I tried calling the cable provider, but they told me the decision to go Digital is Final and there is no going back !! Analog service will end in September. This is sad because I have 2 other TV's in my home that I need to adapt to the new Digital service. So far, I am refusing to do it because it makes no sense to me...
I think your issue has nothing to due with the anolog/digital conversion, but rather incorrect installation (or poor quality) of the set top box / converter you received.

In particular, if you're using the coaxial output of the box, you're most likely not going to get an HD picture. See if there's an HDMI or 5-pin video out, and use that instead. If there isn't one, you may have to pay for an HD box...but that's life. Your cable company should be able to supply you with one.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-21-2015, 03:56 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have given up on all pay for TV and jsut use and antenna and the local stations. On top of that I have Netflix. I am saving over $900/per year. I don't miss the shows I used to watch as they were turning into move commercials than content. Plus an extra $900/year means more photo goodies.
07-21-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
I am saving over $900/per year. I don't miss the shows I used to watch as they were turning into move commercials than content.
Having not owned or watched television for more than 20 years I am stunned to learn that one could even spend 'over $900/per year' on shows !

Presumably this is on top of the cost of the hardware ? that also has to be updated as standards and delivery methods change.

Give it 6 months out and about with your new camera gear and you won't miss it at all.
(You could always take up something really time consuming like Linux...)

07-21-2015, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got a package form Direct TV. It wasn't too bad, but once the special ran out, it was going to jump to $75/month. I would have paid for it if there were no commercials in the programming. I am old enough to remember when cable TV first came out. The pitch was that the programs would be commercial free.
07-21-2015, 06:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Having not owned or watched television for more than 20 years I am stunned to learn that one could even spend 'over $900/per year' on shows !
Yeah, I know. I don't get it, either (the pun is unintended but apt). Broadcast is all I need (and not because I'm streaming content, either--I've got DSL.) I mean, $900 can buy a really sweet lens! ;~)
07-22-2015, 03:16 AM   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

this is our first month of "cutting the cable" - we've been satellite-subscribers for about 15 years.... and just could not justify the $1100+ per year for the service, especially when we watch only a handful of channels... combined with atrocious customer service and condescending responses to our questions about the service, we had enough...

it was an adjustment that took about two weeks, but we don't miss it - in fact, the house is quiet after all these years...

07-22-2015, 04:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi Hjoseph.
Are you using an analog crt tv and connecting composite or component video by way of RCA jacks?
If so the blurring on the faces might indicate a connection problem as Adam indicated.

We used converters etc for a few years. In retrospect I should have got rid of the crt tvs earlier.
I recently changed to a 40 inch hdtv for a few hundreed dollars and the quality is excellent.

Another reason to get rid of the crt tv sooner rather than later, is that disposal is getting difficult.
I had to pay $200 recycling fee to get the big old crt tv taken away.

I have been off cable for some years now, I have an omidirectional active antenna on the roof.
The weaker channels are affected sometimes by weather and aircraft, but the local channels are excellent with 720 and 1080.
07-22-2015, 05:00 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Hi Hjoseph.
Are you using an analog crt tv and connecting composite or component video by way of RCA jacks?
If so the blurring on the faces might indicate a connection problem as Adam indicated.

We used converters etc for a few years. In retrospect I should have got rid of the crt tvs earlier.
I recently changed to a 40 inch hdtv for a few hundreed dollars and the quality is excellent.

Another reason to get rid of the crt tv sooner rather than later, is that disposal is getting difficult.
I had to pay $200 recycling fee to get the big old crt tv taken away.

I have been off cable for some years now, I have an omidirectional active antenna on the roof.
The weaker channels are affected sometimes by weather and aircraft, but the local channels are excellent with 720 and 1080.

No I have a modern flat screen so-called "digital ready" TV. The Digital Adapter is a 4"x4" box that connects between the cable coming from the wall to the TV by coaxial. There digital adapter also has a HDMI connection but my TV does not have HDMI.
07-22-2015, 05:21 AM   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

odd that a 'digital ready' television would not have an HDMI port...
07-22-2015, 07:40 AM   #11

Digital ready could just mean it has a built-in tuner to receive digital broadcast signals. Many of the 1st generation sets did not have HDMI connectors.
07-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have gotten rid of cable twice now and the last time is for good. I just got tired of paying the $85. If you did not know half your bill goes to pay for ESPN. I don't watch sports. In my current location I only get 3 antenna channels. A bit of a bummer. Maybe a better antenna would help.

I have Netflix Amazon and Hulu.

I'm shocked to hear a $200 fee to dispose of a TV. When I moved I threw 2 crt tv out the second story onto the deck. The sound was really funny. I just pushed them into the yard with a huge like if stuff and people took it away.
07-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
They call that a hole.... when people take your yard away...
07-23-2015, 07:25 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
When I moved I threw 2 crt tv out the second story onto the deck.

Chris
07-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

That sound was dubbed in. The real life was SO much better.