Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2008, 05:59 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marginal economies

QuoteOriginally posted by kubel Quote
I'm not a big fan for conspiracy theories and scare tactics myself. My mom is borderline schizophrenic so I've just about had my fill of nonsense over the years.

We as humans have a nasty habit of consuming natural resources much faster than nature can replenish them. I have yet to find an example where we have tapped into a never-ending supply of oil.

I've looked into the Peak Oil scare in the past, and I believe it will happen (it has already happened in the US and many other countries, so if it happens in many countries, you can assume eventually it will happen to the world as a whole). It doesn't mean we are just going to run out of oil one day, it just means we will have to resort to more expensive methods of oil extraction, meaning increased price. I don't think it will be as crazy as people say (there are some communities online where people are preparing for doomsday, building shelters, stocking up on food, etc...).

Whether or not this and other stuff is all a big lie to boost the price of oil doesn't really matter to me, because I happen to think high oil prices (whether artificial or real), though pulling our economy down now, will help push us toward more reliance on superior alternatives. With more than $4/gal gas, it's the first time that a $30,000+ E-REV like the Chevy Volt can have a lower cost of ownership than even a super fuel efficient 4-cylinder compact.

We have been sitting in the technological stagnation of oil-burning vehicles for too long. Time for a change. So I'm all for paying insane prices at the pump, even if it means record profits for the oil companies for a few years. Their days are numbered once EVs take over. 2010 is when it all starts.
I agree with much of what you write, especially the coming Evolt. (In ten years GM will be the lauded as the "miraculously" green automotive technology leader worldwide - Toyota will suffer a gas-electric hybrid decline after the initial success is exhausted), BUT - the key value in reducing oil to a stable range of $75 - $90 a barrel is to raise US interest rates and rally the dollar (complex, and probably for another time).

As far as actual oil supply/demand is concerned ->

• We have not yet reached peak production in the US - we have reached peak political willingness to exploit proven reserves located in areas deemed undesirable by special interest groups
  • 68% of the world's proven reserves are controlled by sovereign entities - not by companies - who may use their production as a political/economic weapon.
    • Exxon - the company we all love to hate - controls less than 4% of the world's reserves, and half that is exploitable only under technology-sharing grants from sovereign entities.
  • Oil is a highly efficient, marginal economy. That means the last barrel purchased sets the price for all barrels purchased. We don't need to replace oil, we just need to find a large number of small, economically efficient alternatives to replace 1% or 2% of consumption each.
    • Wind power will help a little
    • Nuclear will help a little (France generates 80% of its electricity with nuclear-heated steam boilers turning the turbines)
    • Tar sands will help a little
    • Coal will help a little
    • US natural gas exploitation will help a little
    • Gas-electric, fuel cell and E-Rev cars will help more than a little
    • etc.
  • Add these little things all up and you have a lot.
The most important thing is to get the US addiction to spending under control, and rally the dollar versus other currencies - this alone can lower the dollar price of oil 25% - all oil is priced in dollars, everywhere, all the time.

06-17-2008, 12:03 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
...all oil is priced in dollars, everywhere, all the time.
Because we all know what happens if it isn't.

NOT SHOWN: The CIA handing out $100 notes to the civilians.
06-17-2008, 02:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Ben, your posts are getting stranger and stranger here. Can we help you?

For this thread, you first link to what you call a "repugnant scam" and then claim to back it up. I have some ideas why you would do this but I keep them private.

As for the link itself: For every possible hypothesis you'll find a web site with strong arguments for it. Still, most hypothesis never make it to theories. And even theories must survive on a daily base when tested by experiments. Amateurs better stay out of this game. And I speak as a former member of a physicist board in charge to reply to people having made claims about Free Energy machines. They are all studied and disproven on a case by case base (which is surprsingly hard to do).
The "Scam" that I was referring to was the oil companies stating that we are entering a "Peak Oil" crisis. Do I need help? No, I'm am doing just fine thanks.

Ben
06-17-2008, 02:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kubel Quote
I'm not a big fan for conspiracy theories and scare tactics myself. My mom is borderline schizophrenic so I've just about had my fill of nonsense over the years.

We as humans have a nasty habit of consuming natural resources much faster than nature can replenish them. I have yet to find an example where we have tapped into a never-ending supply of oil.

I've looked into the Peak Oil scare in the past, and I believe it will happen (it has already happened in the US and many other countries, so if it happens in many countries, you can assume eventually it will happen to the world as a whole). It doesn't mean we are just going to run out of oil one day, it just means we will have to resort to more expensive methods of oil extraction, meaning increased price. I don't think it will be as crazy as people say (there are some communities online where people are preparing for doomsday, building shelters, stocking up on food, etc...).

Whether or not this and other stuff is all a big lie to boost the price of oil doesn't really matter to me, because I happen to think high oil prices (whether artificial or real), though pulling our economy down now, will help push us toward more reliance on superior alternatives. With more than $4/gal gas, it's the first time that a $30,000+ E-REV like the Chevy Volt can have a lower cost of ownership than even a super fuel efficient 4-cylinder compact.

We have been sitting in the technological stagnation of oil-burning vehicles for too long. Time for a change. So I'm all for paying insane prices at the pump, even if it means record profits for the oil companies for a few years. Their days are numbered once EVs take over. 2010 is when it all starts.

I do agree with you. High prices will force us to look in to other possibilities. I myself am attracted to Nikola Tesla's "Zero Point" research. That is something that we might consider expending some of our resources researching.

06-17-2008, 03:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
The "Scam" that I was referring to was the oil companies stating that we are entering a "Peak Oil" crisis.
Ok, this explains it and makes me worry.

Because the likelihood that the link you have been referring to is scam is >1000x the likelihood that oil production will never decrease.

For a much better, still balanced article, you may want to start here:
Peak oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I myself am attracted to Nikola Tesla's "Zero Point" research.
Ben, you are a great photographer but you may not be a great scientist.
  1. You believe in Abiotic Oil.
  2. You want to believe in Zero Point energy.
  3. You believe the concept of Peak Oil is a scam.
This is quite esoteric and conspiracy theory burden.

While it may be great fun to discuss all this with you at night with a bottle of wine, I fear that a photo forum isn't an ideal place for it.

Last edited by falconeye; 06-17-2008 at 03:52 AM.
06-17-2008, 03:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member

-- deleted --

Last edited by falconeye; 06-17-2008 at 03:52 AM. Reason: joined with former post
06-17-2008, 04:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Ok, this explains it and makes me worry.

Because the likelihood that the link you have been referring to is scam is >1000x the likelihood that oil production will never decrease.

For a much better, still balanced article, you may want to start here:
Peak oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ben, you are a great photographer but you may not be a great scientist.
  1. You believe in Abiotic Oil.
  2. You want to believe in Zero Point energy.
  3. You believe the concept of Peak Oil is a scam.
This is quite esoteric and conspiracy theory burden.

While it may be great fun to discuss all this with you at night with a bottle of wine, I fear that a photo forum isn't an ideal place for it.

This is the "General Talk" part of the forum. Please read the subject matter.

None the less, sorry for the diversion. Just wanted to expand on a rather limited paradigm.

Ben

06-17-2008, 05:01 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Because we all know what happens if it isn't.

NOT SHOWN: The CIA handing out $100 notes to the civilians.
What is your source for this?
06-18-2008, 04:03 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Geotimes - June 2003 - Raining Hydrocarbons in the Gulf
06-18-2008, 06:52 AM   #25
Veteran Member

A very interesting read.The thing is the oil cartel(there the blood sucker)are in a scam to say oops we are at a peak oil now start paying.While this and other discoveries could reap 100yrs + oil supply.

cheers
06-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An interesting article, yes. However, it does not say anything about the oil being abiotic in origin. Just as well, since the area it describes is a vast accumulation of millions of years' worth of sediment eroded from the continent and deposited in the Gulf with all of the organic material that came along for the ride...

"Peak oil" is hardly a scam - it *will* happen, because sooner or later we will run out of fresh discoveries like the ones described in the article. What year it happens, well that my friend is a moving target and has been since the day the concept was first thought of. The technology of finding oil keeps pushing back the date we run out. The demand for oil keeps dragging that date closer. At some point, the demand for oil will win that contest. Maybe in 20 years, maybe in 50 years, maybe in 200 years, but it is going to happen.

Any scams that are taking place (and I will not deny there may be some going on!) are a separate and distinct issue from the concept of "peak oil".

Jim
(yes, actually I am a geologist...)
06-19-2008, 02:57 PM   #27

Taking energy from the earth's crust, adding some chemicals to it, and spreading it to the athmosphere is not a good idea on the long term.
Right now, people are starting to realize this, so there is some research being done to develop some new kind of energy source.

Now, keeping this in mind, what would you do if you were the CEO of Exxon, or any other oil company? What would you do if you were an Arab emir? You would raise the prices while the demand is still not elastic.
The price of gas is going up because the Oil companies know their days are counted, and the oil producing countries know that their main source of income will soon dissapear. So they try to make as much profit as possible right away.

Wether or not there is an unlimited supply of oil doesn't make any difference in the end. We need to change our habits because of environmental reasons, not because of supply and demand.
06-22-2008, 06:59 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Excellent stuff Ben! I agree with your thinking.

While we're on the subject of oil, here is a link about a very interesting man's experiences in Alaska, the Rev. Lindsey Williams. In Short, the largest oil field ever found was squelched.

The Energy Non-Crisis

His book (The Energy Non Crisis) has been out of print for some time and self published... he's been trying to get the word out for over 30 years, and due to age has closed down his website selling the books and videos on the subject.

Thankfully, his experience is on youtube.

Much food for thought here.

Nic
06-22-2008, 07:05 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
Excellent stuff Ben! I agree with your thinking.

While we're on the subject of oil, here is a link about a very interesting man's experiences in Alaska, the Rev. Lindsey Williams. In Short, the largest oil field ever found was squelched.

The Energy Non-Crisis

His book (The Energy Non Crisis) has been out of print for some time and self published... he's been trying to get the word out for over 30 years, and due to age has closed down his website selling the books and videos on the subject.

Thankfully, his experience is on youtube.

Much food for thought here.

Nic

Thanks Nic...Forward this to as many people as you can. By the way I know of Lindsey Williams work. A fine patriot. A fine individual. A great human specimen and very courageous to say the least.

Here is a faster link:

The Energy Non-Crisis
Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 06-22-2008 at 07:46 AM.
06-22-2008, 07:53 AM   #30
Veteran Member

The Energy Non Crisis

Ben,

Regarding Lindsey Williams, I forgot to add:
Lindsey Williams, who has been an ordained Baptist minister for 28 years, went to Alaska in 1971 as a missionary. The Transalaska oil pipeline began its construction phase in 1974, and because of Mr. Williams' love for his country and concern for the spiritual welfare of the "pipeliners," he volunteered to serve as Chaplain on the pipeline, with the subsequent full support of the Alyeska Pipeline Company. Because of the executive status accorded to him as Chaplain, he was given access to information documented in his eye opening book, The Energy Non-Crisis.

After numerous public speaking engagements in the western states, certain government officials and concerned individuals urged Mr. Williams to put into print what he saw and heard, stating that they felt this information was vital to national security. Mr. Williams firmly believes that whoever controls energy controls the economy. Thus, The Energy Non-Crisis.

Thanks Nic...Forward this to as many people as you can. By the way I know of Lindsey Williams work. A fine patriot. A fine individual. A great human specimen and very courageous to say the least.

Here is a faster link:

The Energy Non-Crisis
Ben