Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oil Crisis? What Oil Crises?

The Russians have known about this since 1957. So does Norway...But what the "F--K" are the other governments doing around the world..Nothing. Because the Huge Oil Cartels RUN THE SHOW!!!

The earth replenishes its oil from the core through cracks in the mantel, as all planets do!

GO TO THIS LINK:

Abiotic Oil -- Reserves Replenished by Process in Earth's Mantle?

PS...I would prefer to find alternative solutions, but this scam is repugnant!

Last edited by benjikan; 06-15-2008 at 12:25 PM.
06-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
Banned

for what ever reason Supertramp's 1975 album Crisis? What Crisis? immediatelycame to mind. and just for laughs this could be described as the: Crime of the Century, also a supertramp album. :ugh:

sorry for going way off there it just happens from time to time.
06-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Wasn't it obvious already?
06-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Wasn't it obvious already?
Did you go to the link provided?

Ben

06-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I don't know if it was that obvious, but I would think for the amount of money required to drill that deep would exceed the price that would be required to refine and produce a cheaper product.
If you look at the types of oil being refined, production costs for what is called Sweet oil is much lower than the Alaskan heavy oil. It takes twice the money to refine the Alaskan oil than our Texas and southern states oil. It is the same with Arab oil. In the article it didn't say if this deep drilled oil was the same as sweet or is it the same heavy oil that was found in Alaska?
So I ask this question, IS it worth the money spent to drill this deep or would it be better to find an alternate fuel that could be produced and manufactured cheaply with out having the byproducts that have ruined our atmosphere?
OH and by the way even if we could be guaranteed there would be enough oil to supply the worlds needs for millenium to come would it still be that we would be to lazy to find and expend finances for a different fuel?
06-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Huh. They've got that cellphone-popcorn thingummy's on their as well.

Of course, even if there's oil a-growin' deep 'neath the surface, where, some science fiction films say, lurk unknown horrors, I have little enough faith in humanity to not cause the demand to outstrip supply, and thus suck the geological bolus from from the bowels of the earth, causing it to collapse like Vergon 6 in that Futurama episodes.
06-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is NO conspiracy.

Believe it or not, the market for oil is so large (every person on Earth, every moment of every day is touched by oil) that it is impossible to manipulate successfully for any length of time (measured in years, not months). Such a large conspiracy would immediately be revealed.

Demand exceeds supply for (relatively) short periods of time. Higher price opens otherwise economically inefficient reserves to exploitation; that increases supply and reduces price to another equilibrium level.

There is enough proven reserves to last humanity for 50 more years - as there has been for the last 150 years!! (Read that twice).

Simple economics - but we are such an impatient and self-centered world that we cannot wait for economics to adjust - so our politicians get into the act and the very act of getting into the act screws up economics.

Just let it be - and adjust your behaviors. In the last 4 years I have reduced my gasoline consumption (for a central US family of 5) by 2450 gallons a year (58%) by replacing large cars with smaller. I haven't even tried anything extreme like changing my commute or batching my trips. My monthly gasoline bill has stayed right around $350 the entire time.
06-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Huh. They've got that cellphone-popcorn thingummy's on their as well.
Yeah, and they also have the claim that acetone will improve your gas mileage.

06-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

With the oil cartel makinh $US500 billion profit last year who kiddin who

Money talks and S$#T walks

Govt's are easily bought

cheers
06-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

There's no way that we can just stop using all oil products overnight, however there are alternatives for every day life.

Like what's probably the largest consumer of petroleum products for most of us. Our cars.
Motor Development International, designed a powerplant run off of compressed air.
Here's a link to a New York Times article on it.

I understand that there will be a production car powered by this powerplant sometime this year, built by Tata Motors, in India. However I'll be very surprised to see it running down North American streets in the next 15 years
here's a link on it.

Even though it's as ugly as sin I'd still buy one, if they were available here.
06-15-2008, 11:27 PM   #11

http://static.scribd.com/docs/j79lhbgbjbqrb.pdf

The evidence for Abiotic Oil has been weak, and doesn't seem to have much support in any scientific communities (and appears to have lost support in current day Russia)

Extraordinary claims REQUIRE extraordinary evidence, and in this case they don't have it.
The "mainstream" theory of an organic origin of oil, is much better supported and tested.
We all love stories of where we can root for the underdog that is going against what everyone else says.

You will often read about those guys that claim to have created Free Energy machines (which would disprove the first and second Law of Thermodynamics if true) and they love to compare themselves to Einstein and others that made great contributions to science, that were initially viewed skeptically.
What I think people fail to realize is that Einstein for example did not "demolish" newtons theories. He improved upon them where he saw there were not holding up. What was initially skepticism turned into support as more and more read his work.
The evidence for Abiotc Oil has been evaluated and the consensus is that it is NOT convincing. I'm sorry to burst anyone's bubble here, but those are the facts.
It has likely become better known in the west because of growing concern over the worlds oil supply. "Everything is going to be alright, oil is limitless!"

Resort to conspiracy theories if you like, seems to be the thing to do these days... when there is no evidence to support your claims, but I prefer a reality based existence that is supported by the evidence.
06-16-2008, 02:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kahless Quote
http://static.scribd.com/docs/j79lhbgbjbqrb.pdf

The evidence for Abiotic Oil has been weak, and doesn't seem to have much support in any scientific communities (and appears to have lost support in current day Russia)

Extraordinary claims REQUIRE extraordinary evidence, and in this case they don't have it.
The "mainstream" theory of an organic origin of oil, is much better supported and tested.
We all love stories of where we can root for the underdog that is going against what everyone else says.

You will often read about those guys that claim to have created Free Energy machines (which would disprove the first and second Law of Thermodynamics if true) and they love to compare themselves to Einstein and others that made great contributions to science, that were initially viewed skeptically.
What I think people fail to realize is that Einstein for example did not "demolish" newtons theories. He improved upon them where he saw there were not holding up. What was initially skepticism turned into support as more and more read his work.
The evidence for Abiotc Oil has been evaluated and the consensus is that it is NOT convincing. I'm sorry to burst anyone's bubble here, but those are the facts.
It has likely become better known in the west because of growing concern over the worlds oil supply. "Everything is going to be alright, oil is limitless!"

Resort to conspiracy theories if you like, seems to be the thing to do these days... when there is no evidence to support your claims, but I prefer a reality based existence that is supported by the evidence.

I find your blanket overview completely unfounded. The Russian Oil companies have been drilling oil below the designated layer where fossil fuels of 60 million years ago reside. In fact they have drilled to layers that reside in a time frame of closer to 200 million years ago where there are no organic elements. Caverns that were totally depleted of oil that were considered empty and abandoned after drilling had pumped them dry, seem to miraculously re-fill after several years of not being attended to. No, I sense that there is a blind bias coming from you in my observation of where this letter is originating from. Perhaps that is inappropriate but...

None the less, this theory has serious backing from some of the most credible academics in the world and specifically those NOT receiving their research grants from the the major oil companies.

http://www.houseofpaine.org/blog/?p=257
Stalin And Abiotic Oil (Or How Ruppert's 'Peak Oil' Pile is Gaining Tonnage) March 5, 2005
Peak Oil News >> Forums >> Energy Technology >> Abiotic Oil / Alternative Energies (Peak Oil Scam)

and finally:

Finally, an international conference on abiotic oil

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 06-16-2008 at 02:28 AM.
06-16-2008, 03:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
...snip. The Russian Oil companies have been drilling oil below the designated layer where fossil fuels of 60 million years ago reside. In fact they have drilled to layers that reside in a time frame of closer to 200 million years ago where there are no organic elements...snip...
Benji, hate to disagree on this one point, but the origin of most biotic oil deposits was not in the early Paleocene (60 million years ago was after the extinction of the dinosaurs and nearly half of the oceanic species of life). Even the date of 200 million years ago is too conservative, as that was around the time of the transition between the Triassic and Jurassic eras. The major biologic source of oil is thought to be algae, which evolved in Earth's oceans about 1.4 billion years ago in the Mesoproterozoic era (middle Precambrian), and the somewhat later zooplankton, all of which have accumulated in conditions that result in the creation of petroleum reservoirs ever since.

BTW, everyone, there's a short synopsis of the abiotic hypothesis of oil formation in the Wikipedia entry on Petroleum: Petroleum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. According to the wiki entry, the abiotic mechanism involves thermophilic bacteria, so life would seem to be involved either way (assuming you have no problem with including extremophile prokaryotes in your definition of "life").

Last edited by christinelandon; 06-16-2008 at 03:30 AM. Reason: grammatical edits
06-16-2008, 03:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Abiotic Oil -- Reserves Replenished by Process in Earth's Mantle?
[...]
PS...I would prefer to find alternative solutions, but this scam is repugnant!
None the less, this theory has serious backing from some of the most credible academics in the world and specifically those NOT receiving their research grants from the the major oil companies.
Ben, your posts are getting stranger and stranger here. Can we help you?

For this thread, you first link to what you call a "repugnant scam" and then claim to back it up. I have some ideas why you would do this but I keep them private.

As for the link itself: For every possible hypothesis you'll find a web site with strong arguments for it. Still, most hypothesis never make it to theories. And even theories must survive on a daily base when tested by experiments. Amateurs better stay out of this game. And I speak as a former member of a physicist board in charge to reply to people having made claims about Free Energy machines. They are all studied and disproven on a case by case base (which is surprsingly hard to do).

Last edited by falconeye; 06-16-2008 at 03:49 AM.
06-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #15

I'm not a big fan for conspiracy theories and scare tactics myself. My mom is borderline schizophrenic so I've just about had my fill of nonsense over the years.

We as humans have a nasty habit of consuming natural resources much faster than nature can replenish them. I have yet to find an example where we have tapped into a never-ending supply of oil.

I've looked into the Peak Oil scare in the past, and I believe it will happen (it has already happened in the US and many other countries, so if it happens in many countries, you can assume eventually it will happen to the world as a whole). It doesn't mean we are just going to run out of oil one day, it just means we will have to resort to more expensive methods of oil extraction, meaning increased price. I don't think it will be as crazy as people say (there are some communities online where people are preparing for doomsday, building shelters, stocking up on food, etc...).

Whether or not this and other stuff is all a big lie to boost the price of oil doesn't really matter to me, because I happen to think high oil prices (whether artificial or real), though pulling our economy down now, will help push us toward more reliance on superior alternatives. With more than $4/gal gas, it's the first time that a $30,000+ E-REV like the Chevy Volt can have a lower cost of ownership than even a super fuel efficient 4-cylinder compact.

We have been sitting in the technological stagnation of oil-burning vehicles for too long. Time for a change. So I'm all for paying insane prices at the pump, even if it means record profits for the oil companies for a few years. Their days are numbered once EVs take over. 2010 is when it all starts.