Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not me. The version isn't Home.

07-29-2015, 02:03 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote

I have a Win7 laptop that isn't doing much anymore that I could try it out on, except the one thing it is doing is providing me a network link to my photo printer, and I'm afraid the printer drivers will stop working...
There are not many of these. The printer manufacturers have known since XP days that M$ were urging them to write User Mode rather than Kernel Mode code so a crash dragged down the print spooler, not your whole computer.

Just test your printer on a friend's Win8 laptop if you like. There would be little to no difference on Win10.

There'd be potentially a bigger issue going from a very old computer to a new one, because the amounts of RAM these days call for a 64-bit operating system, with 64-bit drivers.
07-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
There are not many of these. The printer manufacturers have known since XP days that M$ were urging them to write User Mode rather than Kernel Mode code so a crash dragged down the print spooler, not your whole computer.

Just test your printer on a friend's Win8 laptop if you like. There would be little to no difference on Win10.

There'd be potentially a bigger issue going from a very old computer to a new one, because the amounts of RAM these days call for a 64-bit operating system, with 64-bit drivers.
I don't have any laptops to borrow, but actually I see Epson has come out with Windows 10 drivers for it (surprisingly, since it is a defunct model)...
07-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jkomp316 Quote
The PC gaming industry is slowly being abandoned for consoles anyway
Rumors of PC gaming death are greatly exaggerated.

07-29-2015, 02:46 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aberrator Quote
Rumors of PC gaming death are greatly exaggerated.
People who like games but aren't hard-core "gamers" will always want to play on the devices they have, but won't buy devices just to play games. Somebody is gonna fill that need...
07-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #21
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have any laptops to borrow, but actually I see Epson has come out with Windows 10 drivers for it (surprisingly, since it is a defunct model)...
That's good news, do you have a link? I have an Epson NX625, and would worry about it's drivers, when I have to get a new computer.
07-29-2015, 03:48 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
That's good news, do you have a link? I have an Epson NX625, and would worry about it's drivers, when I have to get a new computer.
Yes, I see drivers for that too -- just go to the Epson site and look up your model...

07-29-2015, 04:37 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I did find out that my Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mark ll printer now has Windows 10 drivers. I am going to follow the sound advice of the reviewers on Ars Technica and hold off a while.
Review: Windows 10 is the best version yet?once the bugs get fixed | Ars Technica
I will most likely keep Windows 7 on the 2 computers now using it and install Windows 10 on my next build which will probably be a winter project. If I was to upgrade, I would want a new, clean install anyway.
07-29-2015, 04:41 PM   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I see drivers for that too -- just go to the Epson site and look up your model...
Thank you!
07-29-2015, 04:50 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I did find out that my Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mark ll printer now has Windows 10 drivers. I am going to follow the sound advice of the reviewers on Ars Technica and hold off a while.
Review: Windows 10 is the best version yet?once the bugs get fixed | Ars Technica
I will most likely keep Windows 7 on the 2 computers now using it and install Windows 10 on my next build which will probably be a winter project. If I was to upgrade, I would want a new, clean install anyway.
Apparently you can get a clean install (for free) by downloading the Win 10 iso version, upgrading your current installation to Win10 (which gets you the Win10 for free), then wiping that with the iso from disc to do a clean install...
07-29-2015, 07:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I was definitely not a Windows 8 fan. It came on a Dell laptop (motherboard and graphics quit after 15 months), and I have Windows 7 Home edition on my desktop. Replaced laptop with a MacBook Pro about 3 months ago, and I have no intentions of loading Windows 10. When the desktop fails, it will be replaced with a Mac - assuming the Controller of the Currency agrees.
07-29-2015, 07:54 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

FWIW, Epson is one of the first printer companies that always have drivers for updated OS's.
07-30-2015, 05:02 AM   #28
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43:
assuming the Controller of the Currency agrees.
Yep. It's best not to make any tactical moves like that without clearance from the War Department.
07-30-2015, 07:09 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Another issue I just ran across on one of the geek sites is to check if your motherboard drivers are compatible. I build my own so I know my components. According to Gigabyte, it's a NO. That's not to say my computer won't run fine but it may not either. My motherboard was made for Vista and I had driver issues with Windows 7 which kept me very busy getting worked out in the first few weeks. They won't be checking or updating drivers for my board because of its age. I won't be upgrading on this tower.
07-30-2015, 07:34 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Another issue I just ran across on one of the geek sites is to check if your motherboard drivers are compatible. I build my own so I know my components. According to Gigabyte, it's a NO. That's not to say my computer won't run fine but it may not either. My motherboard was made for Vista and I had driver issues with Windows 7 which kept me very busy getting worked out in the first few weeks. They won't be checking or updating drivers for my board because of its age. I won't be upgrading on this tower.
Yeah, I'm worried about that too. Chipset drivers, on-board video etc. I've got a RAID driver that tends to be flaky as it is. Plus, you know...what does Win10 actually get me that I want? Nothing that I know of other than after a certain point (fairly soon) MS will stop supporting Win7...