Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2015, 07:48 AM   #31
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
MS will stop supporting Win7...
I think I read that they will support it through 2020.

07-30-2015, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

I updated 2 laptops and 2 desktops from Win7 to Win10 without a hitch - not even updating any driver.
I was totally expecting my Hackintosh desktop to blow up but I don't even have to fix the Mac partition like I used to with Win10.
My home theater pc, which has pretty complicated setup failed to update but it reverted to old version automatically so it's still completely functional.
I'm actually pretty impressed. If MS does what Apple does and stop supporting legacy stuff, it would be so much simpler to them. But kudos to them that they are able to cover good amount of ground...
Start menu replacement still works in Win10 so it's all good for me.
07-30-2015, 09:51 AM   #33
osv
Veteran Member

thx for the win10 update report.
08-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I updated my laptop (7 years old) to 10 on day 1, my netbook a few days later (once I was able to download the ISO). It works well, mostly. Some issues with Lightroom, though after one Windows update that seems to have become much better. Some speed issues with the interface (I have to wait before I type the name of a program, and then wait for it to realize it is a program. Under 7 I could start typing immediately and hit enter immediately, and it worked). But it all works pretty well, and the interface is well suited for a desktop/non-touch laptop. Plenty of improvements here and there. Not perfect, but it is quite nice. Overall I do like it. On both machines.

Drivers for the most part isn't an issue, though my internet is too bad to download new ones, so we'll see what happens when it manages to download the latest drivers. One exception: It thought the Atheros WiFi chip in the netbook is a Realtek chip, which didn't work. I told it to use the Atheros driver instead (which it listed as compatible), and lo and behold, everything works. Windows even wants to download a driver for a Brother (!) printer/fax machine that is very old, and that I don't have anymore (being a Brother it died after barely any use).

08-07-2015, 03:44 AM   #35

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've updated my laptop from Windows7 to Windows10 no problems, and my PC Windows8.1 to 10 no problems :-)
My laptop is quite old but seems to run quicker on 10 and I think my PC is a bit snappier too, I didn't mind Windows 8 but 10 is an improvement.
08-07-2015, 04:36 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On another thread there is a warning about turning off default settings to stop MS from taking over your world.

I can't find the thread but here is the link to the original story.
If you installed Windows 10 and like privacy, you checked the defaults, right? Oh dear ? The Register
08-07-2015, 05:09 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by mille19 Quote
I've updated my laptop from Windows7 to Windows10 no problems, and my PC Windows8.1 to 10 no problems :-)
My laptop is quite old but seems to run quicker on 10 and I think my PC is a bit snappier too, I didn't mind Windows 8 but 10 is an improvement.
Shortly after posting this I got a hoax microsoft call asking for access to my PC, be careful !!

08-07-2015, 09:06 AM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Shortly after posting this I got a hoax microsoft call asking for access to my PC, be careful !!
An old game. Hope you explained you didn't own a computer, bewildering the cold-calling phisher at the other end.
08-07-2015, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #39
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I got a hoax microsoft call asking for access to my PC, be careful !!
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
An old game. Hope you explained you didn't own a computer, bewildering the cold-calling phisher at the other end.
I had one a while back. I played with him for a while and he eventually figured out that I knew what was going on and that we were actually messing with each other. He even got to chuckling at times. Finally he said that he was going to come and take my computer. I said "Go ahead, but make sure you're better armed than I am when you get here." He laughed and said "have a nice day", then hung up.
08-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I have had them call on a number of occasions. Twice after I politely told the caller I knew they weren't Microsoft and asked them to stop calling my number, they told me to "go f___ myself" and hung up.
08-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #41
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I had one a while back. I played with him for a while and he eventually figured out that I knew what was going on and that we were actually messing with each other. He even got to chuckling at times. Finally he said that he was going to come and take my computer. I said "Go ahead, but make sure you're better armed than I am when you get here." He laughed and said "have a nice day", then hung up.
when somebody says "south dakota" i think big plots of land, with two dogs in every yard, populated by a bunch of gun freaks who are armed to the teeth

down here by the beach, one of the few gun stores in the city tried to get a permit to open an indoor shooting range, and it got nixed immediately by the city council.

there isn't much point in owning a gun here, because you have to drive 20+ miles before you can shoot it.
08-07-2015, 11:25 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I have had them call on a number of occasions. Twice after I politely told the caller I knew they weren't Microsoft and asked them to stop calling my number, they told me to "go f___ myself" and hung up.
Poor service from that scammer.

I hope you insisted on speaking to his supervisor! ☺
08-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #43
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
when somebody says "south dakota" i think big plots of land, with two dogs in every yard, populated by a bunch of gun freaks who are armed to the teeth
Well, I grew up in California. I don't have to speculate what it's like.
08-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Poor service from that scammer.

I hope you insisted on speaking to his supervisor! ☺
I would tell thim that he's out of luck ... and that Win10 has been installed on my old "pay as you go" flip cell phone!