Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Windows 10

I just saw an ad for it.

I'll be willing to upgrade if they pay me back for my lost time on windows 8. Call it $8000 I prefer cash in a little sack but a check is ok.

07-23-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

A yes, the trauma of Windows 8.

I've had to offer tech support over the last year to three members of my family who have PCs using Windows 8 and 8.1 (one laptop, two desktops). It's been an ongoing nightmare.

Giving away Windows 10 for free to everyone is the minimum Microsoft should do to recover some goodwill. Building a stable and user-friendly Windows would be better. I'm not confident that Windows 10 is going to be that.
07-23-2015, 06:56 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Microsoft gives nothing away for free. You will pay, oh yes you will pay.
07-23-2015, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm the last member of my household using a WinOS machine (and Im typing this on an iOS tablet). My supposition is, when my Lenovo T410i is no longer sufficient and/or Win7-64 is no longer supported I'll get some sort of Mac.

Apple is 'Masters of the Universe' arrogant, but they're not outright evil.

07-23-2015, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #5

Linux has been a free upgrade from Windows for the last 15yrs. The PC gaming industry is slowly being abandoned for consoles anyway. The reasons for keeping Windows get fewer ever year. The OS itself has become bloatware.
07-24-2015, 04:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I just saw an ad for it.

I'll be willing to upgrade if they pay me back for my lost time on windows 8. Call it $8000 I prefer cash in a little sack but a check is ok.
Sorry, but I learned a long time ago, with Windows 3.1 as a matter of fact, not to jump on the latest version of any Windows product without either testing it yourself or reading what others had to say about it. In the case of Win 8, nothing I read led me to even want to look at it, let alone buy it or upgrade to it. Had I have been in the market for a computer when it was the only operating system available, I would have ordered it without, or from a supplier who could provide Win 7 instead.

From what I've seen first hand, and read (Maximum PC is a great source for honest reviews, and they had lots of bad things to say about Win 8), Win 10 will be a good, possibly very good, operating system. Although the beta version had a bug for me, it's been resolved and I'm already on Windows 10 upgrade list.
07-26-2015, 06:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm overdue for a hardware upgrade so I'll be looking closely at Win 10. The biggest issue for me will be drivers. Will my current printers and scanners work? I have a Canon Pro 9000 Mark ll which was close to $500 a few years ago. It still works perfectly but if there aren't going to be drivers, I'll stick with Win 7. I can adjust to OS differences but there is no way I'm going to buy new wide a new wide carriage printer and film scanner. Actually, I think I have more invested in the printer and scanner than my current PC. My computer use pretty much just revolves around Lightroom and web browsing.

07-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm on the upgrade list, but I just read that there's a bug that will be a deal killer for me. It replaces Nvidia drivers with ones that don't support dual monitors. I will probably install 10, but I'll make sure I do a full disk image with Acronis before installing it. Acronis True Image has saved me from more than one D'oh! incident.
07-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm on the upgrade list, but I just read that there's a bug that will be a deal killer for me. It replaces Nvidia drivers with ones that don't support dual monitors. I will probably install 10, but I'll make sure I do a full disk image with Acronis before installing it. Acronis True Image has saved me from more than one D'oh! incident.
You might get by just reloading the Nvidia drivers after the upgrade. In fact, Nvidia might have updated drivers by then. As for Acronis, I'm glad it worked for you but it left me high and dry the one and only time I tried using it.
07-26-2015, 06:06 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
From what I read, Windows Update will just re-replace the drivers.

It's possible, as it's a known issue, MS will fix it before the release.

07-29-2015, 07:20 AM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If anyone's signed up for Win10, it's downloading free for Win7-8.

Windows 10 Is Automatically Downloading On Windows 7 And Windows 8 - Forbes
07-29-2015, 07:28 AM   #12
Pentaxian

There is a system image backup built into Win7 (& Win 8 I assume), at least mine do (which are Pro), so I'd make sure to do one of those right before upgrading (make the boot disc too). I already know of plenty pieces of software the doesn't yet support Windows 10 (not to mention drivers) -- anyone that upgrades on day 1 is taking at least a 50/50 gamble of some part of their system or apps no longer working for the time being. I'm not sure who would really *need* it immediately except for tech writers and developers so they can find out what is wrong with it. Any normal person that isn't just morbidly curious should wait a month or two at the least.

I have a Win7 laptop that isn't doing much anymore that I could try it out on, except the one thing it is doing is providing me a network link to my photo printer, and I'm afraid the printer drivers will stop working...
07-29-2015, 07:37 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I never install a new Windows version until my buddy IT guys have it tested thoroughly. As for using its drivers for my equipment, not going to happen. I do not automatically install updates and most of the drivers updates offered are in the Optional section, they get right click, hide.

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I prefer cash in a little sack but a check is ok.
Not in my book, not from Microsoft anyway.
07-29-2015, 07:49 AM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I'm afraid the printer drivers will stop working.
That would be a big concern for me, as I use my printer daily.
07-29-2015, 08:04 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I never install a new Windows version until my buddy IT guys have it tested thoroughly. As for using its drivers for my equipment, not going to happen. I do not automatically install updates and most of the drivers updates offered are in the Optional section, they get right click, hide.
If you're upgrading to the Home version, updates will be automatic and not under your control (possibly some optional ones will be). I will also wait to see if there is enough backlash to some of their decisions (like there was with Win8) that they will backtrack on some things. I will probably upgrade eventually, but not for 4-5 months at least...