Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2015, 04:01 AM   #151
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A paraphrase from Tyson (not Dyson): "The great thing about science is that it is true whether you believe or not."

08-29-2015, 04:56 AM   #152
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
A paraphrase from Tyson (not Dyson): "The great thing about science is that it is true whether you believe or not."
Just to clarify definitions -Truth is the identification of fact (the actual state of reality). It is a fact (of reality) that the earth circled the sun billions of years ago, but the truth (identification) of that fact came into existence very much later. People didn't know the truth in the beginning. That is why the truth is NOT out there, but in our heads, as the grasping of fact.
08-29-2015, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #153

Mike Tyson said that?
08-29-2015, 03:14 PM   #154
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BlakeShellman Quote
Mike Tyson said that?
Neil DeGrasse Tyson, unless of course your spoofing me.

---------- Post added 08-29-15 at 06:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Just to clarify definitions -Truth is the identification of fact (the actual state of reality). It is a fact (of reality) that the earth circled the sun billions of years ago, but the truth (identification) of that fact came into existence very much later. People didn't know the truth in the beginning. That is why the truth is NOT out there, but in our heads, as the grasping of fact.
I once heard someone remark, to paraphrase again because I don't recall the exact words: "What we need is more true facts." In another somewhat similar vein, most mathematicians will tell you that math of all kinds is not a human invention, but rather something that has always existed which humans eventually discovered. There's also the problem of when "theory" becomes "fact." To some everything in science is "only a theory." Some maintain that the "germ theory of disease" is a construct of "western medicine" and that there are equally valid alternatives. I've always hoped that when they get sick, they'll be treated by someone who rejects "western medicine." Another phrase I've come across, from a philosopher, is "reliable knowledge." There is even a book so titled. Much of this is akin to what I used to call "pedantic semantic gobbledygook."

08-29-2015, 04:00 PM   #155
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Neil DeGrasse Tyson, unless of course your spoofing me.

---------- Post added 08-29-15 at 06:25 PM ----------

I once heard someone remark, to paraphrase again because I don't recall the exact words: "What we need is more true facts." In another somewhat similar vein, most mathematicians will tell you that math of all kinds is not a human invention, but rather something that has always existed which humans eventually discovered. There's also the problem of when "theory" becomes "fact." To some everything in science is "only a theory." Some maintain that the "germ theory of disease" is a construct of "western medicine" and that there are equally valid alternatives. I've always hoped that when they get sick, they'll be treated by someone who rejects "western medicine." Another phrase I've come across, from a philosopher, is "reliable knowledge." There is even a book so titled. Much of this is akin to what I used to call "pedantic semantic gobbledygook."
All these examples illustrate my earlier comment, that science depends on a rational philosophy. For example St Agustin (c400AD) had a philosophy that all knowledge lay within the bible, and that it was futile to seek the truth in reality which was just the material representation of the truth. Thus, for example, the red of a rose was the representation of Christ's blood. You can see what that did to science in the dark ages that followed; until Thomas Aquinas ignited the Renaissance by turning to the logic of Aristotle.
08-29-2015, 06:10 PM   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BlakeShellman Quote
Mike Tyson said that?
08-31-2015, 03:24 PM   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the very least. I have to tell my daughter that there is yet another theory that she has to memorize for The Man's test, but that theory may or may not be correct.

Although the other theories I have to list them as " wrong ".