Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
US Version of Top Gear...

Am I the only one hoping that this will NOT suck? I love the "new" original version of the show on BBC. However I cannot help but wonder if the new hosts will be able to capture the humor and dynamic of Clarkson, Hammond and May. Just throwing this out to the gear heads on this forum.

06-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

hamster, capt slow, and clarkson > any other set of hosts, any day. it will suck.
06-16-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

i dont know about you guys but i never enjoyed the journalism and commentary style of Jeremy Clarkson, not to mention the fact that he is a horrible driver.

as for an automotive show, the recepie has been beaten to death, so i dont know what they expect out of it.

i think it will be an interesting show, but nothing out of this world.
06-16-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
hamster, capt slow, and clarkson > any other set of hosts, any day. it will suck.
I'm a big fan of TG, I just do not see the Americanized version being on the same stage as the original. Instead of bitting British humor, unique cars, cool locations we'll see lame build offs and NASCAR content. Just pipe the original to us without the BBC channel delay. We do not need to see American cars, on American roads, with American hosts to be entertained. When a car is reviewed on TG and it sucks, they said 'it really sucks'. I just do not see that being possible on NBC.

06-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah. I'm a little afraid of what the US version of this will be like. One of the things (aside from the fantastic chemistry of the TopGear Trio) that makes the BBC show so good is that they pretty much bash/praise every manufacturer evenly across the board. I also can't see the US version giving nearly as good coverage of the exotics, and sorry but a show about the crap coming out of Detroit just isn't very appealing past the first couple episodes.
06-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can agree with a lot of your guys' sentiments on this as well. The BBC is a government sponsored channel whereas NBC (a subsidiary of the Sheinhardt Wig Company ) has product sponsors. I can only hope that the cars will be tested evenly but if the show has Ford as a sponsor I cannot see Corolla bashing a GT like Clarkson did to his.
06-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

we lack many many great brands that they have over there, and do not get the awesome cars that they do, so, if it's US based content, it will more than suck.

US cars + US presenters = ...i can't even describe how bad it'd be.

06-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Agreed. I mean how many Koeeeinieineiniengesegs can there possibly be in the US? Unless they are going to find the American equivolent of Ariel (makers of the Atom) I do not see how US only cars will work out. Not too many supercars being made in the US right now vs the EU. However we might get a bunch of cool cars from Japan for drifting and rallysport...
06-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
Inactive Account

You need to be British to pull off British wit.

And I cite the following precedents: the American versions of Men Behaving Badly, The Office, and Red Dwarf.

Man, there's the stereotype that your average American is vastly ignorant of the outside world. Foreign policy jokes aside, I don't believe that's true. But I do believe that certain key people - those who give the green light to these shows - are afraid that it's true, and therefore worry that everything that's not sanitised, red, white and blue (the same as the British flag, the Aussie flag, the Kiwi flag and, heh, the French flag) and spewing apple pie, and so as not to offend anybody, feel the need to create something more palatable.

The original Top Gear is...perfection. I couldn't care about cars one way or the other. Speed, handling, construction - I think about that with cameras.

But it's the sheer drollery, the wit, the interplay between Clarkson, Captain Slow, and the Jockey with the Thousand-Watt Smile, and the most importantly for me, the camerawork, is what ties it together.

Man, with half the stuff Clarkson's said over the years, he'd be sued within an inch of his life in the States, then blacklisted from all the channels. They'll never find a host like Jeremy.

And where would they get another Stig? I think the British Government only genetically engineered two of those.
06-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

POOOWWWWEEEEERRRRRR!

and i must agree, their videography is amazing.
06-16-2008, 12:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

i watched both the UK Office and the NA Office, i must say i prefer the hollywoonized one much better.
06-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh dear......Here are the details for the three hosts, I've bolded the part that worries me:

Top Gear USA: Top Gear Officially Coming To NBC!

QuoteQuote:
Adam Carolla:

Television and radio personality Adam Carolla is host of the daily, nationally-syndicated radio program “The Adam Carolla Show,” based out of Los Angeles’ KLSX 97.1/ FREE FM. With partners Jimmy Kimmel and Daniel Kellison, Carolla created Jackhole Industries where he produced and starred in two hit Comedy Central shows, "The Man Show" and "Crank Yankers." Carolla also co-hosted the nationally-syndicated radio program “Loveline” with Dr. Drew Pinsky for 10 years, as well as its TV version on MTV. Carolla also recently wrote and starred in the independent, award-winning feature film, “The Hammer.” In season six of “Dancing with the Stars,” Adam became the first ever contestant to complete a Paso Doble on a unicycle. Carolla is an avid car collector and owns several classic collectible Lamborghinis, Maseratis, two Ferraris and an Audi S4.

Tanner Foust:

Tanner Foust is in high-demand as a stunt driver, with film credits including “The Bourne Ultimatum,” “The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift” and “The Dukes of Hazard.” Foust is a winning competitor in rally, drift, ice racing and time attack with multiple champion podium placements including the 2007 X Games Rally Champion and 2007 Formula Drift Pro Drift Champion. His varied race experience includes open wheel competition, the Pikes Peak Hill Climb (2002 - 2004), five Ice Racing championships and the 2005 PGT Rally Championship. He also holds class lap records at numerous U.S. road courses in Time Attack. In addition, Foust also hosted “Supercars Exposed” for the SPEED channel. Foust’s car of choice is a tricked-out M3.

Eric Stromer:

Eric Stromer, host of the HGTV show "Over Your Head," started life in construction and remodeling houses after a short acting career as a soap opera hunk was abruptly ended by a Styrofoam boulder on the set of “Santa Barbara.” For 20 years he ran a successful building company before becoming the face of HGTV’s hit show. He’s a regular on Adam Carolla’s nationally-syndicated radio show giving out construction advice, and also appears on TLC’s “Clean Sweep,” NBC’s “Three Wishes” and is a special correspondent for “The Insider.” Stromer prefers his Camry hybrid.

Two out of three isn't too bad is it?
06-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

i suppose carolla is supposed to be like clarkson, foust as hammy, and stromer is may..

but.. it really all depends on how their chemistry is with one another..
06-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #14
Inactive Account

POOOWWWWEEEEERRRRRR!
06-16-2008, 02:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

i suppose carolla is supposed to be like clarkson, foust as hammy, and stromer is may..
Except Carolla won't be funny or smart, Foust will bore us with movie pitches and Stromer will merely stumble about wondering why he's on this show (and so will we).