Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Raleigh Grand Prix 10 Speed, anyone here own one?

Which way do I need to move the friction lever if I wanted to, say, climb a hill? The owner that lent me the bike showed me but, me being me, I forgot and he is out of town in an inaccessible area. I know I could just go out and play with the shifter but I haven't been on a bike in a lifetime, literally.

08-02-2015, 05:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
to climb you want the smaller sprocket in the front, and the larger one in the rear. The opposite for speed.

Not sure what direction that corresponds to on the lever though, sorry.
08-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Like this one?
It has been in the attic for years and I never rode it.

The right lever is for the rear cluster and you push it forward to change to a lower ratio ( for up the hill)
The left lever is for the front set and you push it forward to change to a lower ratio ( for up the hill)
Attached Images

08-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
Which way do I need to move the friction lever if I wanted to, say, climb a hill? The owner that lent me the bike showed me but, me being me, I forgot and he is out of town in an inaccessible area. I know I could just go out and play with the shifter but I haven't been on a bike in a lifetime, literally.
You will figure it out within 30 seconds of use. It is either forward or back :-)

08-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
to climb you want the smaller sprocket in the front, and the larger one in the rear. The opposite for speed.

Not sure what direction that corresponds to on the lever though, sorry.
Thanks for the info.

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Like this one?
It has been in the attic for years and I never rode it.

The right lever is for the rear cluster and you push it forward to change to a lower ratio ( for up the hill)
The left lever is for the front set and you push it forward to change to a lower ratio ( for up the hill)
It sure looks like it but, the levers are on the frame rather than just behind the handlebar. The right lever's, closest one in photo, cable goes all the way to the rear, while the left lever's cable goes to the pedal. So then, I would need to push the left lever all the way forward to go uphill. Correct?

---------- Post added 08-02-15 at 04:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
You will figure it out within 30 seconds of use. It is either forward or back :-)
There are two levers on the bike I that I need to find out what the each will do. I'd rather find out the easy way than the hard way.
08-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
So then, I would need to push the left lever all the way forward to go uphill. Correct?
I am fairly sure the design will be similar generally. Yours is a lot younger than mine.
Anyway, just ride along the sidewalk slowly and try it out. Don't try to move the levers until you are riding. Change ratio before you need to push on the pedals, but keep rotating till the chain fully engages the next sprocket Make sure the cables are adjusted correctly so that the levers will pull the chain to all the sprockets. Also check that the brakes are effective and not dragging on the rims, and that the rims are true.

Happy cycling.
08-02-2015, 06:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an old Triumph 10 speed out in the garage that looks similar. It's still functional although the tires and tubes are rotted.

08-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
I am fairly sure the design will be similar generally. Yours is a lot younger than mine.
Anyway, just ride along the sidewalk slowly and try it out. Don't try to move the levers until you are riding. Change ratio before you need to push on the pedals, but keep rotating till the chain fully engages the next sprocket Make sure the cables are adjusted correctly so that the levers will pull the chain to all the sprockets. Also check that the brakes are effective and not dragging on the rims, and that the rims are true.

Happy cycling.
Thank you, wombat2go. I'll give it a try early in the morning when the temps are a bit cooler than now.
08-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
It's still functional although the tires and tubes are rotted.
Same here.
That Raleigh in post#3 was given to me. I told former owner I would cut it up for the parts and steel tubing. ( I am occasionally building special trikes.)
When he comes over he likes to talk about things then he asks a bit sadly "Have you cut up that bike yet?"

So I might get it restored a bit maybe with wider rims and softer tires for the roads around here and a more comfortable seat.
08-03-2015, 04:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wombat2go pretty much nailed it. You need to keep the pedals turning while shifting either lever but it's best not to have the pedals under much pressure if you can avoid it. Newer bikes handle shifting under pressure very well, but the older ones tended to get cranky (pun intended) and do things like throw the chain off.
08-03-2015, 06:52 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Turn the bike upside down operate the pedals by hand and shift the levers to see how they work. You may need an extra pair of hands.
08-03-2015, 07:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The rear set are spring loaded and default (broken cable) to the largest sprocket, the uphill one, so either snap the cable or shift the lever up
08-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, last night I went for a quick short ride and found out that I was trying to shift gears with the the left lever, the lever for the front set. I ended my ride short thinking that the shifting was broken. This morning I came back here and reread everything and moved the right lever to find the shifting worked. I had the left lever set to where the chain was on the larger gear so when I got to an incline I pushed the right lever forward and the pedaling got easier. When I got to level-ish road I move the right lever back to change it to a higher ratio and to my surprise the chain on the front set also moved without me touching the left lever. Is this normal? I also found out I need to practice on my turns and also the seat is not very comfortable.

---------- Post added 08-03-15 at 10:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Wombat2go pretty much nailed it. You need to keep the pedals turning while shifting either lever but it's best not to have the pedals under much pressure if you can avoid it. Newer bikes handle shifting under pressure very well, but the older ones tended to get cranky (pun intended) and do things like throw the chain off.
Thanks for the info.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Turn the bike upside down operate the pedals by hand and shift the levers to see how they work. You may need an extra pair of hands.
No extra hands here.

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
The rear set are spring loaded and default (broken cable) to the largest sprocket, the uphill one, so either snap the cable or shift the lever up
Thank you.
08-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sometimes if the rear ring is pulling the chain diagonally it will pull the chain on the front to the other ring - but generally this only happens if the front gear shift is misaligned a bit.
08-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Excellent suggestion!