Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2015, 04:36 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I play with yo-yos
I went to art school with a guy who yo-yo'd competitively, that and spin tops, too. It was pretty impressive! He was after his sculpture degree and he would actually make his own spin tops. He went to some big championship down in Florida, but I'm not sure he ended up placing anything...

08-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #32
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Other than plinking away at a few squirrels, birds, and other local wildlife with my cameras, I don't have much of a hobby habit. You guys have some very interesting hobbies going on, it sounds very fulfilling.

I surf the internet a lot, mostly here and a few other sites. I have become an expert at killing time...I think I rate as among the best around, if that is worth much? Just keeping things running and operating properly requires a lot of time and effort nowadays. Hardly leaves time for killing, but when it does I am there to kill it!

Regards.....You young whippersnappers enjoy your time while you can, it passes fast, too fast!
08-08-2015, 02:49 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's a lot of grey area between hobbies, activities, interests and obsessions, and I'm not sure just which fits where in my case, although photography spans a lot of my interests.

Between family, scattered across the country, but as far afield as Texas in the USA, and voluntary community service in the disability area, I don't get a lot of time to do much else, but my wife and I love travel and ballroom dancing (which actually includes Latin and Rock & Roll, as well). I sometimes wonder how I used to fit in pistol shooting, electronics and motor cars (including rallying), when I was younger. I really should think about retiring sometime, so I can do more.
08-08-2015, 03:31 PM   #34
Pentaxian

I have a lot of "until.." hobbies right now. Like home beer-brewing until my Celiac diagnosis, astronomy biking hiking & backpacking (job too ) until my wife's neurology went weird. Golf until I couldn't afford it on small pension + medical bills.

So we're down to yard work/restyling and imaging for now. And gear-swapping like a madman

08-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Woodworking has been a vocation (carpenter) and a hobby of mine (custom furniture and cabinets) for most of my adult life.... and continues to be. I've found it to be immensely rewarding to take a pile of flat boards and end up with something that, when I'm long gone from this earth, others will like and find useful and pleasing to the eye.
08-09-2015, 02:52 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn you, eBay

In my own case I am reminded of the Dave Barry quote:
"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness."

It appears my goal may be to acquire everything I wanted but had
no money to buy around the time I graduated high school in 1978.

Lately I've been collecting classic audio gear from that period.

Oh well, at least I haven't started searching eBay Motors
for that blue BMW 320i I dreamed of owning back then...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-10-2015 at 04:39 PM.
08-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Hobbies? Well... Sewing... due to me my neighborhood can button their shirts and have pockets with no holes, lol,
Embroidery. I know all the different few stitches and am quite good at it.
lol, entertaining the dogs but I think it is equal with them keeping me entertained. Crochet, yeah, I'll never run out of those little cotton dish cloths to wash dishes. Might be a good thing since their is no room in my kitchen to fit a dishwasher. Ugh that I hate.
Beading. I never have to buy jewelry and I always have a gift.
Gardening, as in flower garden. My yard toasted since it hit 107 degrees. yuk
Could my hobbies be anymore domestic?
Art, Acrylic, Pastel, ink, watercolor
Photography I like the best and always have since I was a little kid.

08-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Im trying to learn how to play guitar, and go to the Gym
08-11-2015, 05:25 AM   #39

In my younger days

Touring / exploring
Camping
Bushwalking
Fishing
Shooting
Cars - the faster and louder the better
Bikes - see cars above
Photography - always liked it from when I was a little kid, my grandfather was apparently a keen photographer I still have some of his old bits and pieces from the early days of photography.
Home brewing (some of my early attempts could alternatively be used as engine block cleaner (see cars and bikes above)
Computers -I'm talking the old 8088, 286, 386, 486 stuff here.

now - old married man

Touring - my wife likes this too
Camping - when I have time, my wife likes - not so much, but my boys do
Fishing see above
No shooting anymore, Aussie government took most of our guns away after a world record mass murder.
Cars - I have a WW2 Jeep and a couple of other 4x4's. (anyone can go fast these days - no fun in it any more, better to go bush instead).
Photography - has always complimented my other activities and still does, despite a bit of a lapse into video and P&S digital in the early 2000's . Still took some great shots though.
Home Brewing - after a decline of a few years I have taken it up again. Beer and wine taste better than ever now that peak alcohol content is not the sole objective !
Yep computers are still fun, even though they are also work as well these days.

Last edited by cmar; 08-11-2015 at 06:57 PM.
08-14-2015, 09:17 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Other than plinking away at a few squirrels, birds, and other local wildlife with my cameras, I don't have much of a hobby habit. You guys have some very interesting hobbies going on, it sounds very fulfilling.

I surf the internet a lot, mostly here and a few other sites. I have become an expert at killing time...I think I rate as among the best around, if that is worth much? Just keeping things running and operating properly requires a lot of time and effort nowadays. Hardly leaves time for killing, but when it does I am there to kill it!

Regards.....You young whippersnappers enjoy your time while you can, it passes fast, too fast!
Old buddy you're just too old and boring. While you've not been always old you've always been well..

In addition to photography I enjoyed fishing. Until I became obsessed. Couldn't find rods I liked in the stores so I taught myself how to make them. I've got a few under my belt and now that Little G is 6 he's getting into it too.
Model railroads.
Wood working. Last major project was a wall to wall floor to ceiling library system. Retail about 10 grand. Next up is building new cabinets for our kitchen.
Reading.
Gardening.
My largest hobby is tropical fish. I own 61tanks soon to be 63. 6 of them are the old school Metaframes. I have two running, one rebuilt and 3 waiting for me to restore them. The building that was my print shop/darkroom is the fish house. 38 tanks currently running 42 by the end of this month. All tanks up and running by year's end.
Cooking.

There's a few more but these are the ones I am active in.
The first 2 shots are a couple of the tank racks. Arrangement of the tanks has changed a bit though. And a token shot of Little G since it was on this computer.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5c  Photo 
08-14-2015, 10:08 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Old buddy you're just too old and boring. While you've not been always old you've always been well..

In addition to photography I enjoyed fishing. Until I became obsessed. Couldn't find rods I liked in the stores so I taught myself how to make them. I've got a few under my belt and now that Little G is 6 he's getting into it too.
Model railroads.
Wood working. Last major project was a wall to wall floor to ceiling library system. Retail about 10 grand. Next up is building new cabinets for our kitchen.
Reading.
Gardening.
My largest hobby is tropical fish. I own 61tanks soon to be 63. 6 of them are the old school Metaframes. I have two running, one rebuilt and 3 waiting for me to restore them. The building that was my print shop/darkroom is the fish house. 38 tanks currently running 42 by the end of this month. All tanks up and running by year's end.
Cooking.

There's a few more but these are the ones I am active in.
The first 2 shots are a couple of the tank racks. Arrangement of the tanks has changed a bit though. And a token shot of Little G since it was on this computer.

I would absolutely hate to have your electric bill.
08-14-2015, 10:26 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
I would absolutely hate to have your electric bill.
I'm running the fish house like a hatchery for the most part. Most tanks are running off one high end air pump with the old school box filters or other old school air lift filters I still have from the early 80s. It's about the same as running a 100W light 24/7 so not too too bad.
My bill in the summer is right at $300. And we have Duke Energy and the highest power rates in the state of Florida and IIRC in the entire southeast. That amount doesn't include the water heater or stove though. Our stove is a dual fuel so while the oven is electric the burners are propane. Propane runs about another $100 per month. The A/C in the fish house is set at 82.

When I am out in the fish house Little G will come hang out while I do water changes and he likes feeding time.
08-15-2015, 04:44 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Have recently started, trying my hand at smithing metal and copper bracelets and rings.

08-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Raspberry Pi
Building Computers
Circuit building
Programming
Web Dev
Nordic Skiing
Alpine Skiing
DIY
Hiking
Camping
Kayaking
Canoeing
Soccer
Biking
And more...
08-17-2015, 09:36 PM   #45

Other than mucking about with cameras? RC airplanes and Amateur Radio....