Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cloud Storage?

OK...to start I am a techno idiot, so don't laugh too hard, I admit it, but I have some questions some of you can surely answer for me.

I already store most of my photos on Flickr or Pbase, which is basically cloud storage, but see that there are many new sites that go far beyond storing photos. I have an external harddrive for documents and such but am wondering......

*Can you possibly store software programs in the cloud for access anywhere. I'm thinking photo editing programs etc.Could they be accessed and used just like you use them on your own machine when they are on your harddrive?

*There are so many cloud services, does anyone have a preference, and why?

* Any pros or cons to cloud storage will also be appreciated.

Regards! & Thanks!

08-06-2015, 11:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

There are already a number of popular ' cloud software' services, such as Microsofts online Office suite, various Google services like Docs etc. These programs will never be 'on' your hard drive ... They run on servers remotely and depend on networks to operate to and from users computers.

Once you have downloaded a program executable file (the one you click 'run' on to install), and assuming it was saved in your download folder, then there is no reason that you could not store it in a cloud file storage facility, like Obe Drive etc. But the program will not run in the cloud ... It will just be the .exe file that you can download again in order to re-install .... So useful for backing up your programs.
08-06-2015, 12:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
It will just be the .exe file that you can download again in order to re-install .... So useful for backing up your programs.
Thanks! That is what I thought, but wasn't sure. With prices falling and technology speeding up, I am imagining a day when you can do everything from the cloud and a SSD and processor with a screen may be about all you need. Even if it was a little pricey, it could beat buying tons of software......maybe a fee for each use or a one time yearly fee......you think, or am I dreaming again?

Regards! & Thanks!
08-06-2015, 02:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Actually I'm not sure that some ' pay as you go' subscription software services are that well received ... Certainly PhotoShop and Lightroom as a subscription type service is not very popular, at least with non-pro photographers I think. The real limitation of true cloud based software is network connectivity ... It just isn't reliable enough for many applications, especially when mobile

08-06-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The real limitation of true cloud based software is network connectivity ... It just isn't reliable enough for many applications, especially when mobile
Agree with that, but how long before that problem ends? For many dependable service is already a reality. It's not a one size fits all and may never be, but I foresee it will be for the masses at some point.

Regards!
08-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The real limitation of true cloud based software is network connectivity ... It just isn't reliable enough for many applications, especially when mobile
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Agree with that, but how long before that problem ends? For many dependable service is already a reality. It's not a one size fits all and may never be, but I foresee it will be for the masses at some point.

Regards!
That's mostly a western problem. In Asia they have fast, cheap, reliable service.

In Korea they have 99% 4G LTE coverage. Maximum download speeds of 225Mbps and typical speeds of 115Mbps. That's wireless...I get 20Mbps on my wired connection at home.
08-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Rupert,

I pay for 100Gb of Google Drive storage annually. I keep all my 'important' stuff there ... laptops and desktops all sync to it. I never do backups of machines anymore.

100Gb isn't enough for all the RAW files from all your shoots, though, so by subscribing to Office 365, it comes with what will essentially be unlimited OneDrive space. That's where I dump the SD cards at the end of a day.

Your software question is a bit ambiguous. Once you download an installer for a program, of course you can keep it in the cloud (you could put it on a USB stick, too) and that makes it easy when you wipe a hard drive and have to reinstall.

If you mean moving from computer to computer and being able to post-process, GIMP Portable will do that. I do keep a copy in the cloud, but in practice use Lightroom on my notebooks instead.
08-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe he meant buy the disk ( the buyable program not subscription) and install it to the cloud as it were F:drive.

I've done this using a usb stick. But did not try and change computers.

08-06-2015, 07:27 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
Maybe he meant buy the disk ( the buyable program not subscription) and install it to the cloud as it were F:drive.

I've done this using a usb stick. But did not try and change computers.
Programs usually won't install to a network drive or USB stick like that, and will need to write to other locations on your hard drive.

Old DOS programs and some Windoze apps could, because they were so simple.

And GIMP Portable will let you do that today.
08-06-2015, 08:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Adobe had a service a few years ago where you stored your photos online and you could do some editing on them, also online. I used it for a while when I was playing around with Linux. The editing capability was about what Picasa offered at the time. They did away with it, I think.

Storing my photos in the cloud isn't practical for me. I already have a 1TB external drive full and I'm working on another. I do have most of my keepers online, the shots I share. I began using Picasa which became Google + and is in the process of becoming Google Photos right now. I'll continue to use it as it gives you unlimited free storage but the thought of uploading all my Raw originals is more than I want to do. I'll continue to store them on my own hard drives. I don't live in an urban area and while I have a fairly decent DSL service, it's not fast enough to be practical and I seriously doubt that there will be any improvement in the near future.
08-06-2015, 08:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm just thinking ahead at what might be in a few short years. We are already far advanced of what we imagined a few years ago, so a lot may be possible in the future that isn't now, or isn't practical now.
It seems to me that "ease of computing" may become the next big advancement, and that would almost certainly include software available anywhere anytime. I can see money and profit involved in that occurring, which makes me think it is a certainty?

Imagine being in a strange place, maybe locally or on vacation and needing a photo precessing ap, or a word processing ap, and not having what you need on your machine. For $2. or whatever, you can use it on the cloud for 24 hours. I can see it happening......the cloud server only needs one copy of the software and could serve tens of thousands of people....worldwide maybe even millions.......there is big money in that set up!

Regards!
08-06-2015, 08:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Run your Own Personal Cloud
08-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm just thinking ahead at what might be in a few short years. We are already far advanced of what we imagined a few years ago, so a lot may be possible in the future that isn't now, or isn't practical now.
It seems to me that "ease of computing" may become the next big advancement, and that would almost certainly include software available anywhere anytime. I can see money and profit involved in that occurring, which makes me think it is a certainty?

Imagine being in a strange place, maybe locally or on vacation and needing a photo precessing ap, or a word processing ap, and not having what you need on your machine. For $2. or whatever, you can use it on the cloud for 24 hours. I can see it happening......the cloud server only needs one copy of the software and could serve tens of thousands of people....worldwide maybe even millions.......there is big money in that set up!

Regards!
You're way behind, Rupert ... software as a service is already a multi-billion dollar industry.

At a consumer level, Office 365 and Google Docs offer productivity software through your web browser.
08-07-2015, 06:05 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Squirrels chewed through ruperts DSL line. He is a little behind the times 😇
08-07-2015, 06:07 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You're way behind, Rupert ... software as a service is already a multi-billion dollar industry.
You're kidding? Old Rupert is behind.... that is unimaginable?? I should have skipped this post altogether and just asked Otis, after all he is a ton smarter than me......it's just that is is so embarrassing to ask a damn squirrel for answers, even if he is always right!

Best Regards!